Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network (13337 Views)

Cartoon Network. / Name The Worst Cartoon Ever / Fantastic Four On Cartoon Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by topetall(f): 9:34am On Jun 11, 2007
how can one set up a station or network that is strictly cartoon in nigeria. how does one make money that way and how can the other artists be gathered, how many producers , must I be a guru in animations, do i just set up a station and invite many artist to work with me. are there talented artists that can do stuffs like powerpuff girls, tom and jerry,or things portraying our culture and lifestyle, can somebody please help me out
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by grafikdon: 10:46am On Jun 11, 2007
That's not a bad idea but it is going to be an uphill task in terms of generating contents. It is rather unfortunate that we don't have enough skilled animators in Naija. I will be back later with my take on this. Nevertheless, it is a good idea.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by kodewrita(m): 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2007
please please don't implement my idea. i have been dreaming about it for years and now in one lucid moment you want to wreck it all arrrgghhh. grin tongue cool smiley lipsrsealed tongue embarassed cry
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Seun(m): 12:57pm On Sep 13, 2007
A cartoon network makes little sense without an existing library of cartoon shows to draw from.
Business-wise it's a questionable step because most cartoon lovers (kids) don't have any buying power.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Tokorie: 1:11pm On Sep 13, 2007
Actually, I have had an idea like that for a while now myself and I believe it is a great idea. Now the Channel can start off showing already available programs from all african countries and then basically narrow down to just nigerian cartoons as they become available actually. All you need to do in this wonderful world we live in is have the channel available and producers who have cartoons and others available that fit the stations need will apply to have their programs air on it. Heck, they can even get their own sponsors and such.

Dude, if you ever think of going forward with the plan, please keep me informed as I am all in to such an idea. There are so many african stories that are yet to be told and this could be a great way to get them told to toon enthusiasts out there, also encouraging toonists and kids to get into the industry.

KoboJunkie
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Lafem(m): 1:18pm On Sep 13, 2007
Seun:

Business-wise it's a questionable step because most cartoon lovers (kids) don't have any buying power.

Errh, I don't know of anywhere in the world where 'kids' have any 'buying power', BUT their PARENTS DO! No be the same kids the world-over dey persuade their parents to buy them the latest toys on the shelves and the latest rice krispies? ADVERTISMENTS WILL GENERATE THE NEEDED REVENUE, simple as a.b.c. With good storytellers, artists and animation know-how, it can be done. Make no mistake about it, naija is fertile ground for such a venture, and with a solid and well-planned strategy, it can work and become very lucrative. Go ask Kellogs [and other cereal companies] and the Toy industry in america how they've been able to consistently make billions of dollars in sales yearly, since the advent of t.v.

In a recent discussion with a naija-based chick about my plans to help foster a vibrant animation industry in naija, she asked the question, "will such an idea work in naija? who will watch the cartoons?". The baby no sabi say guyman don already do him homework well well, my rebuttal floored her sotay she even begin ask how she sef fit come on board.

Seun, some years ago, before the the internet went 'nitro', if you'd intimated people of your vision to own and run a site like this one, you'd have gotten a similar response as the one you gave above, like "oh, people can't afford to browse in naija, naijas don't shop online, who has time to visit a web-board? what purpose will it serve, the site will never be popular, do you know how much competition is out there? blah, blah, blah, " But see what you've been able to accomplish, all because you had a clear VISION of what you wanted, and were able to sell that vision to the rest of the world in a way that they just couldn't resist! The rest, as they say, is HISTORY!  Unless you wan tell me say the success of this website was/is hapzard/by mistake/by luck. undecided Just because something hasn't been tried in naija doesn't mean it can't be done! Just bring together a team of visionaries, and you go know wassup.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by uchetobi(f): 1:42pm On Sep 13, 2007
welll
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Tokorie: 1:48pm On Sep 13, 2007
Kids do in a way have buying power in the world we live in today. With Companies like toy companies like Matel, and even tech businesses as well as food and clothing companies banking on this. We have today more parents than ever who want to PLEASE their kids and if you can get the kids in on your side, you have the parents and what better way than to use a medium such as this one which can at the same time be used to educate the kids, entertain them as well as introduce them to products out there that may be available for them. By the way, I am an adult and I still watch Cartoons. Heck , did anyone of you go see the TRANSFORMERS movie that came out this summer? or even the Spiderman movies?? Most all those started off as cartoons but where watched mostly by adults. There is a HUGE MARKET HERE and it is largely untapped.

Tokorie
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by hexgear(m): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2007
One thing about Nigerians is that a lot of people like to follow but only a few like to lead. Once someone creates a new lucrative market and the money starts flowing in then everyone will jump aboard the bandwagon,  but then again this is true for the rest of the world… but more so for Nigeria.

There are lots of artists and animators in Nigeria with a lot of skill and potential but no purpose or focus. If you’re serious about making cartoons and successfully launch one then I can guarantee you that in the near future a lot of animation studios will pop-up out of nowhere in Nigeria and you will eventually have your library of cartoons to possibly use in constructing a sort of "cartoon network".

The first step would be to make a cartoon series yourself. You would make a prototype or a single episode and try to pitch it to an existing TV station. If they like it then they would fund further development of the series and feature it on their TV channel, that's pretty much how you will get paid.

You don't necessarily have to be an animator to create a cartoon series, but it would be a plus because you would understand what it takes to create a cartoon and you will be able to relate with the other artists and animators on your team.

You'd have to show some initiative first by coming up with for example a concept, characters, storylines, drawing style, animation style, writing style, etc in effect an Art Bible and inserting all this into a kind of design document. This would prove to others that you're really serious about making something; you have actually done something rather than just talked and thought about it. Creating forums like this one or similar with art and animation as a focus would make a good portal for aspiring Nigeria artists to come together and share ideas, animation techniques, showcase their art or even get recruited for a job etc.

$0.02
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Lafem(m): 2:07pm On Sep 13, 2007
To add to Tokorie's piece about cartoon-watching adults, peep this. Successful animated cartoons like "King of the Hill", "Family Guy", and "The Simpsons" aren't for 'kids'. They're adult-oriented [and I'm not talking Hentai here o cheesy] cartoons that have a primarily adult fan-base; just imagine Papa-Ajasco, PaJimoh, Boy Alinco as  2d or 3d animated cartoons, or those popular newspaper cartoons many of us are used to [you can't tell me such are 'kiddies' stuff'], ehn hen, that's what I'm talking about.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Kobojunkie: 2:41pm On Sep 13, 2007
Hey Topetall,

I would guess to start off, you need to check the following off your list and then based on work done , you get a better idea of what comes next.

1) Do your Research on what is involved, what sort of revenue is needed to start and at least maintain the company for about 2 years
2) Investigate other existing Stations to learn how licensing and all are handled and what ways work best.
3(a) Come up with a good business name for your enterprise or plan
3(b) Put together the best business plan you can to help guide you along the way and keep you straight
4(a)) Register a business/Company name and make sure to research the various business models out there to see which would fit. I would guess starting off with a corporation with shares would help you raise money from the start but stay away from sole proprietorship, partnership might work but considering you are going for a station here, I would say a c-corp is what you need.

4 (b)) get people who have the tools and skills you need involved at some point to help you when you get stuck at this point or any other,

Hope this helps a bit

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by mrsho: 2:44pm On Sep 13, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Hey Topetall,

I would guess to start off,  you need to check the following off your list and then based on work done ,  you get a better idea of what comes next.

1) Do your Research on what is involved, what sort of revenue is needed to start and at least maintain the company for about 2 years
2) Investigate other existing Stations to learn how licensing and all are handled and what ways work best.
3(a) Come up with a good business name for your enterprise or plan
3(b) Put together the best business plan you can to help guide you along the way and keep you straight
4(a)) Register a business/Company name and make sure to research the various business models out there to see which would fit. I would guess starting off with a corporation with shares would help you raise money from the start but stay away from sole proprietorship,  partnership might work but considering you are going for a station here,  I would say a c-corp is what you need.

4 (b)) get people who have the tools and skills you need involved at some point to help you when you get stuck at this point or any other, 

Hope this helps a bit

Kobojunkie
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by deflick: 2:53pm On Sep 13, 2007
cartoons that have a primarily adult fan-base; just imagine Papa-Ajasco, PaJimoh, Boy Alinco as  2d or 3d animated cartoons, or those popular newspaper cartoons many of us are used to [you can't tell me such are 'kiddies' stuff'], ehn hen, that's what I'm talking about.

Exactly, imagine the good ol days of Ekebe super,Bingo and co . having those shit on cartoon form would really be cool, and it doesn't have to be only Nigerian content, am sure it would be spiced up with some good ol Johnny Bravo , Courage the cowardly Dog and ohhh Kids Next door, oh my God  smiley when would it start i cant wait for this,
Good idea Good Thinking
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by semilore4(f): 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2007
its really a cool innovation in naija i love cartoon as an adult and am sure lots of people outa do so too
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by esilove(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2007
THAT IS A GOOD IDEA.

PURSUE YOUR DREAM
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by babasin(m): 4:00pm On Sep 13, 2007
how you gonna make money?

ask people to pay for your cartoon TV?

or everything free and you make money from Adverts?

or you simply wann provide the platform for others?

Note: there are free Arab-TV that shows all satallite programs(cartooons included) for FREE.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Lafem(m): 4:12pm On Sep 13, 2007
Cartoon Network More Profitable than CNN
$241 Million in Cash Flow

July 30, 2004

Variety reports that Turner Broadcasting has revealed that Cartoon Network had cash flow of $241 million last year on $650 million in revenues, making it more profitable than the CNN group.  It accounts for 17% of Turner's revenues, vs. 14% for news. 

Cartoon Network has a great audience of 12-24 year old males, drawn especially to Adult Swim programming. 

Turner also revealed some of the reasons for Cartoon Network's profitability, which go beyond the prices advertisers are willing to pay for CN's attractive audience.  They include licensing of its characters through Warner Bros. consumer products division and the equity stakes of 2-4% that CN takes in ancillary revenues of shows it purchases from outside suppliers. 

CN also keeps its costs low by producing its own programming, drawing from its huge animation library, and making good deals for the outside programming it runs. 

Future plans include adding ads to spin-off network Boomerang and putting cartoon episodes on chips that can be viewed on Game Boys.   

Cartoon Network's influence on retailers goes far beyond the licensed products based on its own shows -- it's also a huge venue for popularizing anime, which drives sales of DVDs, manga, and licensed merchandise.   

Culled from http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/5412.html
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Lafem(m): 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2007
Cartoon Network Shines

Cartoon Network the fastest growing network at Turner Broadcasting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartoon Network, the cable TV home of many anime series such as Case Closed, Wolf's Rain and Inu-Yasha, is the fastest growing network in Turner Broadcasting's impressive line-up of networks that includes CNN, TBS and TNT. In fact, investors and press recently learned that Cartoon Network is more profitable than CNN. In 2003 Cartoon Network turned $650 million in revenue, 17% of the the entire Turner Broadcasting revenue, compared to $535 million (14%) in revenue for CNN and the rest of Turner Broadcastings news operations.

Cartoon Network's financial success is being attributed to increased ad revenue thanks to its ever increasing adult audience, and low operating costs. Adult Swim has consistently ranked #1 in its time period (11 pm - 2 am) on basic cable with adults 18-34, against competition from late night talk shows like NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno and the CBS Late Show with David Letterman.

In early July Cartoon Network reported impressive growth statistics over last year for Adult Swim in key adult demographics such as 23% in adults 18-34, 47% in adults 18-24 and 76% in women 18-24.

Culled from: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-08-02/cartoon-network-shines
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Ralvy(m): 4:34pm On Sep 13, 2007
ARANT NON-SENSE cool angry
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by peeceelove(m): 4:42pm On Sep 13, 2007
Do we have any Nigerian Cartoon at all?
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by oxax99(m): 5:19pm On Sep 13, 2007
I'm sure someone here will agree with me that there are differences between animated movies and cartoons. Whichever side of the divide you belong to, I'd definitely say that we do have materials to produce cartoons and animated movies. To the last question posted "Do we have cartoons?" I want to believe that your question should be Do we have materials for cartoons? To that I say a big YES. Several folk tales could be made to cartoons and movies. America no get plenty story, but their cartoon dey make people kolo. na story wen dem borrow, Pocahontas and d like. See what the Chinese people are doing with their own folk tales.

My brother, keep your idea alive, the only part I see a contraint is in finance. Good lick and all the best.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by oxax99(m): 5:31pm On Sep 13, 2007
I'm sure someone here will agree with me that there are differences between animated movies and cartoons. Whichever side of the divide you belong to, I'd definitely say that we do have materials to produce cartoons and animated movies. To the last question posted "Do we have cartoons?" I want to believe that your question should be Do we have materials for cartoons? To that I say a big YES. Several folk tales could be made to cartoons and movies. America no get plenty story, but their cartoon dey make people kolo. na story wen dem borrow, Pocahontas and the like. See what the Chinese people are doing with their own folk tales.

My brother, keep your idea alive, the only part I see a contraint is in finance. Good luck and all the best.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by msanda(m): 7:29pm On Sep 13, 2007
I am a computer graphics artist who has put his dream of starting Nigeria's Pixar on hold, Thanks to hunger pangs. I still have my skills and I am willing to put them to use, if I have dreamers like me to work with,

Ps: I just resigned from a bank out of boredom, but I'm about taking up anotha job (what can I say, I'm hot) so pleeeeease guys, catch me b4 my dreams go up in flames!

cool
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by topetope(m): 8:21am On Sep 14, 2007
In Nigerian Broadcast law, there must be a certain level of Local Content.
How many Nigerian Cartoons do u know of.

Food for thought .

Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by vescucci(m): 9:59am On Sep 14, 2007
I'm sorry to bust your bubble or be a killjoy, but I think u are attempting to get to Andromeda while never having got as far as the moon. Well that's what your idea sounds like if I'm getting the gist right. A round the clock dedicated cartoon channel with purely local content is frankly just not attainable, at least in my own opinion. first you'd have to source for ideas and get people interested, then comes the matter of making money from your efforts and all the logistics that can give you headaches. My advice is this;

Get your self acquainted with people who are ready to drop the quids and give u full lee-way in this thing.
Then get really good animators who are ready to invest in your idea; they shouldn't expect much up front, this stuff will blow up in the future, so it pays them to join the band wagon especially when it's mainly empty.
Then when you get together two or three series, you can now subscribe to some stations like AIT (they'll probably go gaga about an African cartoon feature) and MBI and what have you ( something like what soundcity did).
Then when the pay start rolling in you probably by then would have found some people already getting into the biz with their own shows, then you can consolidate and put them under your auspices and voila! you just might have a dedicated Nigerian cartoon channel, but of course not in less than say, 2 years. Gotta have a vision, you know. You might want to change the name of the channel too, I mean Cartoon network? plagiarism is what I'm thinking. Go for something like toontv or something, just stay away from anything that makes it sound Nigerian as if it was out of bounds to other nationalities or something.

P.S. don't pay any heed to all these haters who are hating on your idea. I really think it could work, you just have to take things one step at a time. ciao
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Emad(f): 10:10am On Sep 14, 2007
Hummmmmmm Naija, ONE AT A TIME,
Have we perfected the Real fims which are easier? shocked
Well go ahead i would love to see this
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2007
So what say you @TopeTall, Are you going to do this or are we just all in here fantacizing ?? I am sick and tired of doing that. Anywho, I believe we all in here so far agree that it is both attainable and again a brilliant idea. By The way, if you look into Nigerian archives, you are bound to find TONS of programming for such to start with. I am not sure you all were around in the 80's but yes, we had a lot of local animation shows on tv. I mean there is Tales by MoonLight, and so many Children's variety programs to start with. I can still remember all those ridiculously sounding and scary looking animal puppets from back in the days. My brother used to run under the kitchen sink when we had one of those come up on TV , lol, I have a friend here who is into animation and working on her production company as we speak.

The problem I believe is not the idea but where it goes from here. Like I said, if is it possible, count me in as a potential investor. I may not have so much but I could partner with you to get what I can done and I am sure there are others out there who are really passionate about this past the 'tooting the horns' level. Earlier in the year, I was working on an idea of having a toon site online where animators can showcase their work online, sort of like Youtube, have people rate them and the best get pushed for a slot on one of the major networks out here.

So again, what do you think of the information you have gleaned so far? Are you going for it or what?? @ToPETALL
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Seun(m): 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2007
You should make at least one cartoon first before you can think of establishing a cartoon channel.
You should have published a bunch of comics before setting out to create an animated show.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Sep 14, 2007
Nope@Seun,

It is possible to NOT BE SKILLED In the ART OF Animation and still own a CArtoon network. Ask Ted Warner or even Simon Cowell who does not know much about the music industry or even how to sing but produces and makes big bucks for Sony.

KoboJunkie
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Lafem(m): 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Nope@Seun,

It is possible to NOT BE SKILLED In the ART OF Animation and still own a CArtoon network. Ask Ted Warner or even Simon Cowell who does not know much about the music industry or even how to sing but produces and makes big bucks for Sony.

KoboJunkie

KPOM! Besides, it doesn't necessarily have to be exclusively nigerian in content; animation shorts and features can be sourced from other countries within and outside africa. Or it could even be an african/nigerian version of/stake in the Turner Cartoon Network Franshise [there's Cartoon Network EUROPE, CArtoon Network FRANCE, Cartoon Network UK, Cartoon Network POLAND, Cartoon Network ASIA, e.t.c], sorta like how Africa finally got it's own MTV. This can go a long way in serving as an outlet for and encouraging indigenous and locally produced animation.

Anyway, I'm not shocked nor perturbed by the naysayers'/cynics' responses -- most great achievements had their cynics and critics -- moreso considering naijas' penchant for thinking within the box and ever failing to see the POSSIBILITIES in the seemingly IMPOSSIBLE. Our folks will look for a million-and-one reasons why foreign successes can't be duplicated or work within naija, UNTIL some foreigner from without come open their eyes. Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by tommyex(m): 9:27pm On Sep 14, 2007
Lafem:

KPOM! Besides, it doesn't necessarily have to be exclusively nigerian in content; animation shorts and features can be sourced from other countries within and outside africa. Or it could even be an african/nigerian version of/stake in the Turner Cartoon Network Franshise [there's Cartoon Network EUROPE, CArtoon Network FRANCE, Cartoon Network UK, Cartoon Network POLAND, Cartoon Network ASIA, e.t.c], sorta like how Africa finally got it's own MTV. This can go a long way in serving as an outlet for and encouraging indigenous and locally produced animation.

Anyway, I'm not shocked nor perturbed by the naysayers'/cynics' responses -- most great achievements had their cynics and critics -- moreso considering naijas' penchant for thinking within the box and ever failing to see the POSSIBILITIES in the seemingly IMPOSSIBLE. Our folks will look for a million-and-one reasons why foreign successes can't be duplicated or work within naija, UNTIL some foreigner from without come open their eyes. Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.

U REALLY SAID IT ALL WITH UR FIRST POST,I WAS JUS GONNA SAY THAT

WE HAVE ENUF DANGOTE TO OWN D COMPANY ERE,BUT D MAIN PROBLEM WILL BE THE ANIMATION EXPERTS,I THINK WE HAVE GOOD ENOUGH VOICE OVER ARTISTS,COS I HAVE MET 1 OR 2 TALENTED 1S,AS IN REALLY TALENTED.

MAYB I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE GRAPHICS ENGINEERS,BUT I KNOW IT TAKES LOTS OF TIME 2 STUDY N I DONT THINK MANY 9JAS (LIVING ERE) R AS GOOD AS STANDARD.

I BEG IF U WANA DO IT,DONT EVEN TRY 2 DO D HOME VIDEO RUNS,LIKE DO A CARTOON IN RECORD TIME OF 3 DAYS(AS DEM RAMZEY NOUAH DEY SO O)

I TRUST 9JA NOW,NA EVERYWER WE DEY BREAK RECORD NA

ANYWAY I THINK PPL R TRYIN 2 GET INTO IT ALREADY SHA.

SO WATCH OUT
Re: Nigerian's Own Cartoon Network by Seun(m): 10:32pm On Sep 14, 2007
DSTV already repackages foreign cartoons. So if this is your dream, it's nothing special. Many Nigerian TV stations already broadcast foreign cartoons during the afternoons on weekdays and Saturday mornings. A dedicated cartoon channel will also have to show cartoons when students are at school or during the evenings when adults would have displaced the children in order to watch their favorite soap operas or evening news. So a dedicated cartoon channel doesn't sound viable at all. It only makes sense if you own a large library of cartoons already.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funmilayo: The Lioness Of Lisabi: Joke Silva To Star As Funmilayo Kuti In Biopic / Life Of Ami Zee World Summary Story Teasers / Multichoice Nigeria Introduces New Dstv & Gotv Packages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.