Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

What - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What (1871 Views)

Angry Citizen Blasts Immigration Officials In Lagos Airport For Bribery / Fish And Fufu: An American Lady's Experience Of Lagos City / An American Citizen Coming To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What by amdman: 5:58pm On Jan 19, 2011
Ok
Re: What by obowunmi(m): 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2011
Why not talk to him ? What do we have to do with this decision ? undecided
Re: What by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2011
Seems you married your wife for all the wrong reasons, if you've chosen to ask for advice concerning the issues you've raised.

You should be discussing this with your wife, and base your decision on what she comes up with.
Re: What by tunnytox(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2011
As far as I'm aware your father in law should be able to make an application for his daughter for the US green card, this application however, takes a very long time to process (up to 10 years). The USA PR visas are more easily obtained via the family route if the applicant can be patient, if I'm wrong I'm sure those who know better on this forum can correct me.
Re: What by Jam247(f): 11:47pm On Jan 19, 2011
Siena:

Seems you married your wife for all the wrong reasons, if you've chosen to ask for advice concerning the issues you've raised.

You should be discussing this with your wife, and base your decision on what she comes up with.

I totally agree with you. @ Poster, something sneaky about the way you're going on about it. angry
Re: What by kidonig: 11:50pm On Jan 19, 2011
Hmm, do I smell a fish here?
Re: What by chika98: 2:49am On Jan 20, 2011
I doubt the immigration folks here will jar you and your so distant and unrelated in law face.
Re: What by DisGuy: 3:32am On Jan 20, 2011
amdman:

My father-in-law is an American citizen and I need to know what to do get a visa through him. For certain reasons, he could not make our wedding (held recently) and am thinking of my wife and I flying over to see him. Am also wondering whether my wife can obtain some form of permanent residency based on her dad's status, but note that she is in her late twenties already.

The last time this man was in the country was in the 90s. I have already told him that I would want to meet him and he is very glad about it. I need to know what exactly to suggest to him and what kind of documents this would require.

Money is not really a problem.

Pls advise.

Then buy him a ticket to Nigeria or if he doesn't like nigeria you can always meet up in Ghana or Dubai- easy peasy
Nice family holiday/re-union wink
Re: What by oncolor: 3:53am On Jan 20, 2011
It's going to take about 10 years to get an immigrant visa to the U.S if you apply now. The current date on the Department of State Visa Bulletin shows they are processing applications for those that applied before January 01, 2001 for married sons and daughters of U.S citizens (Family 3rd Category).
Re: What by angelo5uk(m): 5:09am On Jan 20, 2011
My broda no mind all this bad belle people, we nigerians are not always happy when we see that our own broda is progressing, is there anything worng if he wants to visit his father inlaw in usa,
the best way is immigration for ur wife just as some sugested and since shes married ur application can be filled with hers also, tho the time duration may be very long but i heard its not that long anymo, that u can finish everything in a year depending on how fast u urself are, make enquires from other better sources, to confirm, the time duration has been shortened,
another good way is for u and ur wife to file in for permanent resisdence, then while waiting for the application to be completed,
theres one oda visa that they do issue while u are waiting for ur permanent residence application to be complteted, that one is also ok, its ussually fr those who has filled thier permanent residence application but cants wait , so they will issue them a visa to travell to the united state while waiting,

lastly, u and ur wife can ask him to send u guys normal invitation letter, but the above two are far better than this,
hope i was helpful

1 Like

Re: What by justwise(m): 7:53am On Jan 20, 2011
angelo5uk:

My broda no mind all this bad belle people, we nigerians are not always happy when we see that our own broda is progressing, is there anything worng if he wants to visit his father inlaw in usa,
the best way is immigration for your wife just as some sugested and since shes married your application can be filled with hers also, tho the time duration may be very long but i heard its not that long anymo, that u can finish everything in a year depending on how fast u urself are, make enquires from other better sources, to confirm, the time duration has been shortened,
another good way is for u and your wife to file in for permanent resisdence, then while waiting for the application to be completed, theres one oda visa that they do issue while u are waiting for your permanent residence application to be complteted, that one is also ok, its ussually fr those who has filled thier permanent residence application but cants wait , so they will issue them a visa to travell to the united state while waiting, lastly, u and your wife can ask him to send u guys normal invitation letter, but the above two are far better than this, hope i was helpful
What are u talking about?

1 Like

Re: What by amdman: 8:47am On Jan 20, 2011
Siena:

If I wanted to marry for papers, I had many options, plenty! And then I also have more than enough to apply for a visa on my own. I married my wife because she is the best woman in the world and she is customized for me!

My father-in-law is a Nigerian also; just that he has been in US for more of his life. And I feel that so long as I have a FIL thats alive, then I should meet him, though I already have his blessings. And it will gladden my wife so much to see her father again (not seen him for almost 15 years). So I want to give her that - when a woman is good, you feel buying the world for her is not even enough!

My FIL is not the type of guy that knows whats the latest in visa application. Thats why am here to find out the best part to tow given the circumstances.

angelo5uk:

the best way is immigration for your wife just as some sugested and since shes married your application can be filled with hers also, tho the time duration may be very long but i heard its not that long anymo, that u can finish everything in a year depending on how fast u urself are, make enquires from other better sources, to confirm, the time duration has been shortened,
another good way is for u and your wife to file in for permanent resisdence, then while waiting for the application to be completed,
theres one oda visa that they do issue while u are waiting for your permanent residence application to be complteted, that one is also ok, its ussually fr those who has filled thier permanent residence application but cants wait , so they will issue them a visa to travell to the united state while waiting

lastly, u and your wife can ask him to send u guys normal invitation letter, but the above two are far better than this,
hope i was helpful

I need more information about these options. I feel I can give my kids more options if they have status in other countries e.g it costs less to school as a citizen than as an international student, so am thinking far ahead. My papa try, but if to say na Yale or Harvard I go, my levels for pass this one.

I need info pls!!
Re: What by amdman: 6:20pm On Jan 20, 2011
Ok
Re: What by oncolor: 3:01am On Jan 21, 2011
amdman:

These links seem to contain what I want.

Any comments on its feasilibility?

Thanks all.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1306.html#13

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1310.html

The link below shows the visa bulletin for the current month, it tells you how long you have to wait. One thing you have to know is that once you apply for permanent residency through your wife's dad, you would not be granted a non-immigrant visa like visiting or student visa, so you have to wait in Nigeria or some other country for about 10 years when you permanent resident card would have been processed before you can go to the U.S.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html
Re: What by amdman: 11:44am On Jan 21, 2011
Shuo! Na so people like go America?!!!!!!!! Some applications since 1998 are still pending. I no go even near this format. E be like say na visitor visa go win am o!!
Re: What by princeonx: 12:11am On Jan 22, 2011
@ angelo5uk: Do you live in the US? if Yes, when was the last time you had anything to do with immigration? and finally, stay away from "them say" go on line and educate yourself about things you need to know. Yes the waiting period is shorter now but there is no such a thing as visa for those that applied and don't want to wait. (Nobody out there that applied for US visa that want to wait). There are certain circumstances (TPS) where applicant can come in on a visa and wait for pending application. Example: applicant (I-130) from Haiti due to the present situation of things there now.

@ amdman: Go on line and educate yourself on options about visiting (prove it with job, ties, properties in naija, and account info. since money is no problem) or relocating to US and if you are really planning ahead for your kids like you claimed, then your wife's resident permit (through her dad) should be ready in less than 7yrs regardless of her age. Finally, if your father inlaw's last visit to naija was in the 90's then you guys need to call for an emergency family meetingĀ  grin the man need serious help

1 Like

Re: What by amdman: 11:10am On Jun 24, 2021
Ok
Re: What by amdman: 11:12am On Jun 24, 2021
A
Re: What by revived: 1:32am On Aug 30, 2021
How time flies cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help me On The Process To Get My Visa to UK Before May / Asides From Uae, Which Other Country Can I Migrate On Budget Of 1M / Any Nigerian In Toronto Canada To Show Me Around?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.