Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,740 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History (31785 Views)

Four Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch / NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / SpaceX Flew Over Nigeria On Way To Space Station – Hadi Sirika (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by kolajoo(m): 12:21pm On May 31, 2020
Nasa and SpaceX made history by returning US astronauts from US soil to low-Earth orbit for the first time in nine years. It also marked the beginning of "taxi" rides to the space station, where commercial spaceflight enters a new phase. Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley are now on their way to the International Space Station, It's the first time since the retirement of the shuttles nine years ago that an American crew has made the journey from US territory.

Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken are not only trialling a new capsule system, they are also initiating a new business model for Nasa.

The agency will no longer own the vehicles it uses but merely purchase the "taxi" service offered by SpaceX.

It's hoped companies other than tech billionaire Elon Musk's SpaceX outfit will come in to expand the market. The aerospace giant Boeing already has a contract with Nasa to do so.

Mr Musk himself said he was overcome with emotion watching his hardware take the astronauts to orbit.

"I think this is something that should get people right in the heart, of anyone that has the spirit of exploration. And the US is the distillation of the spirit of exploration," he told reporters.

The new capability the CEO is offering will end the reliance of Nasa on Russian rockets and capsules to get its people to the International Space Station (ISS).

It was a point picked up on by President Donald Trump, who came to Florida to watch the launch.

"Past leaders put the US at the mercy of foreign nations to send our astronauts into orbit. Not anymore," he said. "Today we once again proudly launched American astronauts on American rockets - the best in the world - from right here on American soil."

Hurley's and Behnken's Dragon ship left Earth atop its Falcon-9 rocket precisely on time - at 15:22 EDT (19:22 GMT / 20:22 BST).

Meteorologists had forecast only a 50:50 chance of favourable conditions around Florida's Kennedy Space Center at lift-off, but, as luck would have it, the weather window stayed open and the SpaceX controllers grabbed their opportunity.

The Falcon soared off the spaceport's famous 39A pad to head northeast out over the Atlantic. After two-and-a-half minutes, the lower-stage of the vehicle had separated to return to a drone ship at sea. And after a further six minutes, the crew were safely inserted into orbit.

Hurley and Behnken are set to arrive at the ISS on Sunday.

They'll use some of the intervening hours to test equipment and procedures in their capsule, including doing some manual flying.

Although the Dragon capsule is a fully automated vehicle capable of finding its own way to the ISS, the crew needs to prepare for all eventualities and that means knowing exactly how the ship will behave in their hands.

Uniquely, the Dragon has no control stick; all flight commands must be entered via a touchscreen panel.

One of their first tasks in orbit was simply to name their ship - in the tradition of past US spacefarers, all the way back to the Mercury programme. Radioing down to Earth, they announced it would be called Endeavour.

Doug Hurley said: "We chose Endeavour for a few reasons: One, because of this incredible endeavour that Nasa, SpaceX and the US have been on since the end of the shuttle programme back in 2011. The other reason is a little more personal to Bob and I. We both had our first flights on shuttle Endeavour and it just meant so much to us to carry on that name."

Endeavour was the ship commanded by British explorer James Cook on his voyage to Australia in the late 18th Century.

It worth following for live update.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-launch-america-nasas-spacex-demo-2-mission-to-the-international-space-station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg

Source: BBC news
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52855029

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Righteousness89(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2020
WONDERFUL!

Daniel 12:4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

In all you celebrate, live Prepared!!

Scriptures are Fulfilled every where you look

#WeFlySoon

116 Likes 10 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by AhoadaRivers: 12:36pm On May 31, 2020
Idiotic fo0ls will tell you 'nigeria will be great again'. grin

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by sidieladaniel: 12:38pm On May 31, 2020
ok
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by otokx(m): 12:42pm On May 31, 2020
Undisputed world power.

27 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Patriot9: 12:43pm On May 31, 2020
is it not funny? A country like america who can build machines as super as SR-71 and F-35 can be relying on Russian rockets engine

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Rodwave: 12:43pm On May 31, 2020
And one useless country is still borrowing more to renovate 2 by 2 airport and 1980 locomotive train.

60 years after, nothing to show that humans inhabit the British created burial ground called Nigeria. Shameless country.

150 Likes 12 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Croccityboi123(m): 12:46pm On May 31, 2020
And Nigeria still dey struggle to make pencil......
Make GOD airpus ooo

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Amotolongbo(f): 12:47pm On May 31, 2020
Righteousness89:
WONDERFUL!

Daniel 12:4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

In all you celebrate, live Prepared!!

Scriptures are Fulfilled every where you look

#WeFlySoon

This makes me remember October 22, 1844.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Shezkid01(m): 12:51pm On May 31, 2020

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by AngelicDamsel(f): 12:51pm On May 31, 2020
Every achievement of man deserves celebration because we all benefit one way or the other.

Meanwhile, how does this give us relief.

12 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Livegamesonly(m): 12:54pm On May 31, 2020
Good one...right thinking people..
pls, if you are a jobless youth, find a job to do...design, bricklaying, mechanics, gaming streaming or bombing. Just find something doing because the way I see Nigeria ehn, this Shithole ain't improving....make your unborn children proud, relocate them to a saner clime....I don talk my own ooo....call me for your image to cartoon conversion....very low price...# 1500 only...
God bless..

A word is enough for the wise....

Shalom

8 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by FlordFlorez(m): 12:58pm On May 31, 2020
History made in our very eyes. I will join u guys at ISS soon.

8 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by F117nighthawk: 1:07pm On May 31, 2020
Patriot9:
is it not funny? A country like america who can build machines as super as SR-71 and F-35 can be relying on Russian rockets engine

Spot on

5 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by ican2020: 1:43pm On May 31, 2020
America score first in this and that.

When will Nigeria score first positive goal?

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by kolajoo(m): 1:59pm On May 31, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by sanemind2(m): 2:03pm On May 31, 2020
Good to know

Meanwhile

External hard drive,otg flash drives are available with High definition Movies of different categories,check my signature if you are in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by phransix2: 2:03pm On May 31, 2020
There has never been a better time to leave earth than now....

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 2:03pm On May 31, 2020
Bsb
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Karex81(m): 2:04pm On May 31, 2020
Nigeria which way cry cry ?

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by frankline461: 2:04pm On May 31, 2020
Sincerely asking.

Can Nigeria ever get to this level?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 31, 2020
angry

SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the United States have sent a 2-man crew to the International Space Station.

Here's my take:

1. The United States has recorded a ground-breaking achievement in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic. US recorded one of the highest deaths but this did not deter them from reaching this height.

2. Nigerian politicians have messed up our country. That's a fact! I can't emphasize more on this.

3. Nigerian youths will crowd this forum to bash and castigate the government for not making us great. 50-60% of youths blame the government for joblessness but the same youths refuse to study relevant courses in the tertiary institution that will earn them a chance to Excel in life or contribute to the advancement of the nation. The scientists at NASA are engineers, physicists, mathematicians, economist's, chemists, aerospace scientists, etc. Even Elon Musk himself is a renowned physicist.

NIGERIAN youths will earn degrees in religious and cultural studies, social studies, theatre arts, pre-primary education, etc. and still come to Nairaland to blame the government.

My argument is not one-sided in case anyone wants to bash me. I admit that we have a silly government, but the citizens, especially youths are equally silly.

Some folks here claim that the US is a sane clime and wish to fly there at the slightest opportunity. Days ago, the same folks bashed the sane clime for the extrajudicial killing of Floyd.

The United States and other advanced nations welcome people who have something to offer. For now, a great percentage of Naija youths really have nothing to offer.

Let's try to build ourselves.

71 Likes 11 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by SenecaTheYonger: 2:05pm On May 31, 2020
Why the shape of a penis? I feel this is a subtle insult to women all over the world. It says more about a mission when the people in charge choose to flaunt a giant penis to the world as if some sort of symbolism of male strength. I do agree that this is a misogynistic mission.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by blowjohn(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2020
trump my guy!
Carry on!
U too much!

3 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by ODJ123(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2020
only legend will understand this...

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by tolexy007(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2020
g
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by SpatialKing(m): 2:06pm On May 31, 2020
Congratulations to America NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Elon Musk SpaceX this is beyond Quantum leap.

I have a dream: One day Nigeria NASRDA and Innoson Vehicles would launch Nigeria into space.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Olatlaccon(m): 2:06pm On May 31, 2020
Rodwave:
And one useless country is still borrowing more to renovate 2 by 2 airport and 1980 locomotive train.

60 years after, nothing to show that humans inhabit the British created burial ground called Nigeria. Shameless country.
Guy calm down na....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by thundafire: 2:06pm On May 31, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
Idiotic fo0ls will tell you 'nigeria will be great again'. grin
even in 300 years time, AFRICA talk more of Nigeria wouldn't change

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by LOSKYXANDER: 2:07pm On May 31, 2020
And the gap keeps getting wider. Will we ever catch up with these guys? undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It Advisable To Have A Telecommunication "Mast" Close To A House? / Woman Gives Birth To Her Granddaughter / 'Doomsday Glacier' In Antarctica Is Holding On 'By Its Fingernails' - Scientists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.