Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,349 members, 7,829,883 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History (31839 Views)

Four Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch / NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / As It Happened: Nasa Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by BotherMleeper(m): 3:05pm On May 31, 2020
Patriot9:
is it not funny? A country like america who can build machines as super as SR-71 and F-35 can be relying on Russian rockets engine

Correction.

They were not relying on rocket engines.

They relied on crew capsules, specifically the Soyuz, which they had none since they retired the space shuttle, until now.

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Ola17: 3:07pm On May 31, 2020
Where are those flat earth people?
What do y’all have to say now?
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Iceberg3: 3:08pm On May 31, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
Idiotic fo0ls will tell you 'nigeria will be great again'. grin

And those scratched faced sellouts are still busy looking for rats and cockroaches on every Igbo thread everyday
grin

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by deic9(m): 3:08pm On May 31, 2020
Patriot9:
is it not funny? A country like america who can build machines as super as SR-71 and F-35 can be relying on Russian rockets engine

If only you knew what space technology is al about.....

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Iceberg3: 3:08pm On May 31, 2020
Ola17:
Where are those flat earth people?
What do y’all have to say now?
Nobody's talking about Danfo here, thank you

grin

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by BotherMleeper(m): 3:09pm On May 31, 2020
SenecaTheYonger:
Why the shape of a penis? I feel this is a subtle insult to women all over the world. It says more about a mission when the people in charge choose to flaunt a giant penis to the world as if some sort of symbolism of male strength. I do agree that this is a misogynistic mission.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but spaceflight involves aerodynamics, so the cylindrical shape is necessary for air flow and drag especially during MaxQ portion of flight and reentry.

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Livegamesonly(m): 3:09pm On May 31, 2020
Ramsak1:
Saner clime?
Las las somebody will still disrespect you and your ancestors, call you monkey, kill your children and treat you like a slowpoke and there is nothing that you are and there is natin you can do abt it thats when u'll kno the grass is greener when you water the grass and by then it'll be too late for you.
but what has the effort been so far...common power zero...no refinery, stupid policies etc...my man, its better you know its irredeemable unless the foundation is broken and a new structure is laid..if we continue like this then you and I know its irredeemable... I will prefer to go abroad than stay here..don't we do racial profiling here in Nigeria, even on nairaland...its everywhere...Floyd was killed last week and there was uproar and protest in Minnesota, but here in nigeria, a kid was raped by 11 men and another kid was shot dead and no protest. Then you telling pple to water the ground... Am sorry to say, there is no ground to water...

YOU WONT UNDERSTAND UNTIL YOU HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE IN SOME SITUATION... PEACE BRO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by HeavenShield: 3:10pm On May 31, 2020
Just Listen and pay attention carefully!

UNTIL WE ALL DECIDE AS A NATION, AS A PEOPLE TO VOTE IN THE RIGHT AND CREDIBLE PEOPLE IRRESPECTIVE OF THEIR TRIBE(WHERE THEY COME FROM), REGION, POLITICAL PARTY, SENTIMENTS, RELIGION OR WHATEVER ETC. WE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GO FORWARD AS A COUNTRY.

OUR MAJOR UNDOING AND TROUBLE START AND ENDS WITH THE POLL, THE ELECTIONS!

UNTIL YOU LOOK AT YOUR FATHER AND TELL HIM RESPECTFULLY, SIR, YOU CANNOT LEAD OUR NATION TO PROGRESS..WE ARE NOT READY FOR PROGRESS.

IF YOU LOOK BACK, TAKE STOCK AT THE RESOURCES AND WEALTH THIS COUNTRY HAVE PRODUCED OVER THE YEARS PLUS THE BORROWED FUNDS AND YOU COMPARE LIKE FOR LIKE WITH OUR PROGRESS LEVEL, YOU WILL CRY AND WEEP FOR NIGERIA.

WE ARE MOCKED BY SANE COUNTRIES ALL OVER THE WORLD BECAUSE OF ONE CLASS OF PEOPLE - OUR POLITICIANS.

WE MUST DECIDE THAT NEVER AGAIN SHOULD WE ALLOW VULTURES, SERPENTS AND SCORPIONS LEAD OUR NATION AND WE DECIDE THAT WE OURSELVES WILL NOT BE VULTURES, SERPENTS AND SCORPIONS FOR THE SAKE OF OUR NATION.

IT IS POSSIBLE AND IT BEGINS WITH A DECISION TODAY.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA. sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Tonytonex(m): 3:10pm On May 31, 2020
oh God help me. great
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 31, 2020
Farki:

Good points however you must understand that these great achievements aren't being done in a vacuum. SpaceX is a private company and not government owned so this can't be attributed to the government.

Whenever the US or Soviets were researching spacecraft the primary aim was for military expansion, whatever advancements from that were later declassified and introduced to civilians like GPS.

Within the last 50 years NASA has scaled back missions to space because the government isn't interested in funding the programs that do not have immediate use to the military or business which allowed private companies like SpaceX to fill that gap.

So what I'm saying in essence is that if influential bodies (governments, businesses) give incentives for space exploration in Nigeria then we will see our own space program. We can not expect youths to build things just like that, even abroad it does not happen that way.
I agree with you Sir. I've actually learnt a lot from the history you've outlined here. I didn't even know that the primary aim for spacecraft research was for military purposes. I raised my points based on the consistent blame on the government without the youths admitting that they also have a role to play.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by BotherMleeper(m): 3:12pm On May 31, 2020
Anyone who wants to try manually docking the Dragon onto the ISS using the same interface the crew are using should try their luck at:

iss-sim.spacex.com

I just successfully docked on my second attempt.

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by deic9(m): 3:13pm On May 31, 2020
Rodwave:
And one useless country is still borrowing more to renovate 2 by 2 airport and 1980 locomotive train.

60 years after, nothing to show that humans inhabit the British created burial ground called Nigeria. Shameless country.

What if I told you that the year 1886 is regarded as the birth year of the modern car when German inventor Karl Benz patented his Benz Patent-Motorwagen. Cars became widely available in the early 20th century. One of the first cars accessible to the masses was the 1908 Model T, an American car manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.......plenty year later, Naija no still understand the technology behind steam engines

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Rodwave: 3:13pm On May 31, 2020
kikero:

All those policies you mentioned, they don't work when at the same time you are still overimporting, still dependent on revenue from oil , and still not investing in technical and vocational education, and so on.

Structural adjustment?? The result of our dependence on oil. When we took on SAP in 1986, oil prices were low, and not enough for us to continue our chop way of life. So it was SAP or an IMF loan at exorbitant rate.

Yes, all countries import...but the value of their imports, at least for the serious ones, does not exceed the value of their exports. Nigeria...and many African countries are in that trap....and that's why we end up taking loans, and having to endure SAP.

Until we make the hard decisions, and stop relying on oil....we won't prosper.

Structural? All African and Asian countries have structural issues. Most countries in the Third World are contraptions. And the sucessful ones are those that are productive. Not Nigeria where the big business, North or South, is to sell imported goods.

You think economy economy everytime. You don't know what is called economic enabler abi.

From how power is generated to how security is structured, you think you can make head way with the kind of system in Nigeria? Just few moments ago governors were lamenting on how police are making mess of interstate restrictions. Nigerian problem is beyond this your over simplification.

A car with a knocked engine can never move if you like paint it, put alloyed wheel etc it will only shine for few days then it will show that it is useless.

The best way to save Nigerians from Nigeria is total bulkanisation of Nigeria. Or else it will continue to be one step forward two step backwards

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 31, 2020
AhoadaRivers:
Lmao... will not like this ooooo
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by darediamond(m): 3:14pm On May 31, 2020
Patriot9:
Well that is U.S.A the Mother liers.

Russians are the first to be in Space telling how Extremly advance they are ahead of usa.

It is not that America do not have the Money, they do but what about the Brain to beat RUSSIA in Wave and Aerodynamics propagations, USA lacks it. But they would want other Nations to See them as Main World Power.

If she is really Main World power, then why didn't she Military Tackle Russia over Crimea?

Why can't she order Russia out of Syria at a Jiffy?

The only major edge USA have over Russia Militarily is POPULATION.
Hardware to Hardware, U.S.A is lower to Russia!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by salford1: 3:15pm On May 31, 2020
The Russians and the US are way advanced.
The current ISS was built by Russia in collaboration with the US. The Russians are about to start building another one since the current ISS this rocket flew to will become obsolete in a decade.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Rodwave: 3:15pm On May 31, 2020
deic9:

What if I told you that the year 1886 is regarded as the birth year of the modern car when German inventor Karl Benz patented his Benz Patent-Motorwagen. Cars became widely available in the early 20th century. One of the first cars accessible to the masses was the 1908 Model T, an American car manufactured by the Ford Motor Company.......plenty year later, Naija no still understand the technology behind steam engines

LOL... And some people who are already dreaming of eloping to Canada are here saying Nigeria go better bla bla

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by faithfull18(f): 3:16pm On May 31, 2020
Dragon.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 31, 2020
Rodwave:

You think economy economy everytime. You don't know what is called economic enabler abi.

From how power is generated to how security is structured, you think you can make head way with the kind of system in Nigeria? Just few moments ago governors were lamenting on how police are making mess of interstate restrictions. Nigerian problem is beyond this your over simplification.

A car with a knocked engine can never move if you like paint it, put alloyed wheel etc it will only shine for few days then it will show that it is useless.

The best way to save Nigerians from Nigeria is total bulkanisation of Nigeria. Or else it will continue to be one step forward two step backwards

Even if you bakanize Nigeria, each and every new part is going to look for resources to sell to export, and then overimport with the revenue...plus there would be war between the new countries over resources....

That's the issue facing not only Nigeria but most Subsaharan countries.

Change our mindset...from resource dependency to productivity, and then peaceful separation is possible.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Proudlytips: 3:17pm On May 31, 2020
ok
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by mayorkay1996(m): 3:18pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
angry

SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the United States have sent a 2-man crew to the International Space Station.

Here's my take:

1. The United States has recorded a ground-breaking achievement in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic. US recorded one of the highest deaths but this did not deter them from reaching this height.

2. Nigerian politicians have messed up our country. That's a fact! I can't emphasize more on this.

3. Nigerian youths will crowd this forum to bash and castigate the government for not making us great. 50-60% of youths blame the government for joblessness but the same youths refuse to study relevant courses in the tertiary institution that will earn them a chance to Excel in life or contribute to the advancement of the nation. The scientists at NASA are engineers, physicists, mathematicians, economist's, chemists, aerospace scientists, etc. Even Elon Musk himself is a renowned physicist.

NIGERIAN youths will earn degrees in religious and cultural studies, social studies, theatre arts, pre-primary education, etc. and still come to Nairaland to blame the government.

My argument is not one-sided in case anyone wants to bash me. I admit that we have a silly government, but the citizens, especially youths are equally silly.

Some folks here claim that the US is a sane clime and wish to fly there at the slightest opportunity. Days ago, the same folks bashed the sane clime for the extrajudicial killing of Floyd.

The United States and other advanced nations welcome people who have something to offer. For now, a great percentage of Naija youths really have nothing to offer.

Let's try to build ourselves.

Sure you 100percent correct but d environment we find ourselves ain't helping matters, Nigeria also has a lotta bright and sound scientist and engineers.Am sure if some of our engineers are given chance at NASA or anyother tech core they would surely produce d best out of themselves and innivate something.Also u saying a great no of nigerian youth has nothing to offer is kinda absurd..we all need a little push and motivation.i wish Nigeria is just 50percent has advance maybe things would have been better and less crime.

Gracias Boss��.

3 Likes

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Rodwave: 3:21pm On May 31, 2020
kikero:

Even if you bakanize Nigeria, each and every new part is going to look for resources to sell to export, and then overimport with the revenue...plus there would be war between the new countries over resources....

That's the issue facing not only Nigeria but most Subsaharan countries.

Change our mindset...from resource dependency to productivity, and then peaceful separation is possible.

I disagree with you on war aspect. I still stand on my word - Nigeria is dead and gone. Trying to revive her, is like flogging a dead horse. It won't work.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by ITbomb(m): 3:22pm On May 31, 2020
I would love to look at flat earthers now
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Zyrac: 3:28pm On May 31, 2020
MasterRahl:
angry

SpaceX in collaboration with NASA and the United States have sent a 2-man crew to the International Space Station.

Here's my take:

1. The United States has recorded a ground-breaking achievement in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic. US recorded one of the highest deaths but this did not deter them from reaching this height.

2. Nigerian politicians have messed up our country. That's a fact! I can't emphasize more on this.

3. Nigerian youths will crowd this forum to bash and castigate the government for not making us great. 50-60% of youths blame the government for joblessness but the same youths refuse to study relevant courses in the tertiary institution that will earn them a chance to Excel in life or contribute to the advancement of the nation. The scientists at NASA are engineers, physicists, mathematicians, economist's, chemists, aerospace scientists, etc. Even Elon Musk himself is a renowned physicist.

NIGERIAN youths will earn degrees in religious and cultural studies, social studies, theatre arts, pre-primary education, etc. and still come to Nairaland to blame the government.

My argument is not one-sided in case anyone wants to bash me. I admit that we have a silly government, but the citizens, especially youths are equally silly.

Some folks here claim that the US is a sane clime and wish to fly there at the slightest opportunity. Days ago, the same folks bashed the sane clime for the extrajudicial killing of Floyd.

The United States and other advanced nations welcome people who have something to offer. For now, a great percentage of Naija youths really have nothing to offer.

Let's try to build ourselves.

What do you know about Nigerian youth?? �
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Winning123: 3:31pm On May 31, 2020
Idiot and nuissance. What have you contributed to make your country great

AhoadaRivers:
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 31, 2020
mayorkay1996:

Sure you 100percent correct but d environment we find ourselves ain't helping matters, Nigeria also has a lotta bright and sound scientist and engineers.Am sure if some of our engineers are given chance at NASA or anyother tech core they would surely produce d best out of themselves and innivate something.Also u saying a great no of nigerian youth has nothing to offer is kinda absurd..we all need a little push and motivation.i wish Nigeria is just 50percent has advance maybe things would have been better and less crime.

Gracias Boss��.
You're right boss. I'm not really blaming Nigerian youths. The government is to take majority of the blame. It is a common problem among African leaders. However, any youth who wishes to fly abroad should strive to be productive. Elon Musk is originally a South African, but see where he is today grin

1 Like

Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Tobaino1: 3:34pm On May 31, 2020
News like this do prompt me to lay curse on our past and present leaders!! E no go better for una
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Resees: 3:36pm On May 31, 2020
Chai all these bad words for Nigeria? Thats not nice
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by zuby4real10(m): 3:40pm On May 31, 2020
NASA . We have NASRDA their equivalent here in Nigeria. I am proudly NASRDA staff.
Re: SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History by Resees: 3:42pm On May 31, 2020
Every time i see what this white people are building and inventing i always feel so ashamed to be a black man and the African Americans here are not making it easier for us.This is even more reason why i want to relocate and take my chance back home ..Blacks need prayers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Her Granddaughter / 'Doomsday Glacier' In Antarctica Is Holding On 'By Its Fingernails' - Scientists / Is It Advisable To Have A Telecommunication "Mast" Close To A House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.