Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,971 members, 7,814,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31837 Views)

Strike: What Is Going On In AAU? - Omawunmi Asks / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Sights From The University Of Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Eddykul(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2020
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

108 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Lordjiggs09(m): 12:26pm On May 31, 2020
one question that is worth discussing.

Meanwhile:

I bu Onye Igbo, lee anya na signature mu maka ozi di oke mkpa.

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 31, 2020
Okada drop me here!

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by phorget(m): 12:40pm On May 31, 2020
I won't say a word lipsrsealed

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Shezkid01(m): 12:43pm On May 31, 2020
A wise man said
Get the certificate and hustle like a drop out in Nigeria

527 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by illicit(m): 12:45pm On May 31, 2020
It's not worth it in Nigeria, I don't know about abroad tho....

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by FlordFlorez(m): 12:49pm On May 31, 2020
Yes broda, it worth it. Universities and other institutions are there to train/equip u in a particular field not just for u to get job but to be able to create job(s). This is where we all get it wrong. USA and other developed countries in the world do not give jobs to all their graduates, but they simply support those they couldn't employ to create jobs for theirselves and others and the circle continues, thus reducing unemployment. The issue in Nigeria is that, so many graduates are ready to create jobs but NO government backing.

273 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Degrezhaa: 1:08pm On May 31, 2020
keke Drop me here...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by LordPherule(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Does going to the university worth it anymore?

Going to university is worth going, no matter the hardship after.

146 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Mywd: 2:38pm On May 31, 2020
It is actually worth it to some extent.... But see the main thing na d money ooo....

If u no get money nobody go respect u ooo

There are a lot of graduates who work but money is still not enough.... What do u think of that...

Nigga just go to the uni,, gain something as it could still help u in life... But dont depend on it too much...

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Lamasta(m): 3:24pm On May 31, 2020
Its really worth it going to a university but pray you have money to school in a better university like Covenant cos of the facilities for research and learning environment and not all this glorified Nigerian universities. Go to school am sure that you will come back and thank me later grin

22 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Aguemma(m): 3:40pm On May 31, 2020
Make I pack here

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Hahjascho(m): 8:16pm On May 31, 2020
Eddykul:

It's really worth it if you have the provisions and resources that are needed. If you don't just pass through school, but allow school to developmentally pass through you, it's a great investment you will ever be glad you partook. Go to any school you can afford

Eddykul:

Yes, but not all. People are getting employed and there's enough education around to tell us how self investment and self acquired skills won't hurt your monthly salary or not.[i]

Eddykul:
Nowdays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT
[i]Source pls

Eddykul:

If indeed right self education is employed i.e you letting school pass through you, and not having the mindset of going to school to blast 4-5years on useless things then, you won't ever return to square one

Eddykul:

It's really possible but, the application of knowledge gained by those who really utilized the opportunities embedded in schooling will ever make the businesses they engage in stand out.... even If they eventually end up with jobs they never studied while in school

Eddykul:
Nowadays, work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

It's a general fact. Utilizing the opportunities embedded in school rightly, will always make you stand out or survive the economy.

Lol, every average student you meet has had such thought flashed through his mind. Your goal should rather be , going to school to make the best use of it at levels of opportunities. There's more to school than certificate. You even stand a chance of meeting good friends that might raise your later in life.

Does going to the university worth it anymore?

The decision is now yours, but make sure you choose rightly that you don't regret your decision 10 years from now on.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ODJ123(m): 8:30pm On May 31, 2020
op going to school is worth it ooo. let no one Deceive you. it gives you an ego,and this feel I can't explain. maybe whenever people start looking down on you you will understand better..

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Eddykul(m): 9:17pm On May 31, 2020
ODJ123:
op going to school is worth it ooo.
let no one Deceive you.
it gives you an ego,and this feel I can't explain.
maybe whenever people start looking down on you
you will understand better..

Yea of course you are right... Like when you say when people start looking down on you.

Do you know that some people can still look down on you when you go to school, graduate and still not get a job??

Sometimes, after graduating we go for jobs that are not even related to the course we read in school.

Today hardly will you even see a good job to do.

I am just scared of wasteing my time and money instead, investing for the future right now.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ODJ123(m): 9:22pm On May 31, 2020
Eddykul:

Yea of course you are right... Like when you say when people start looking down on you.

Do you know that some people can still look down on you when you go to school, graduate and still not get a job??

Sometimes, after graduating we go for jobs that are not even related to the course we read in school.

Today hardly will you even see a good job to do.

I am just scared of wasteing my time and money instead, investing for the future right now.

yea people we look down on you, on both sides if you are not successful..
but u can still start up a little biz on campus and make money from there..

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 6:10am On Jun 01, 2020
don't go ,it's not by force, as wealthy as your politicians are , they are still sending their children to school, even the best ones at that , na you no wan go ? OK continue

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by KingAzubuike(f): 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes it is. Even if you're not gonna use the certificate, just keep it somewhere , it adds to your value.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Onyi22(f): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by flokii: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Good question.. there are thousands of jobless graduates from Covenant Uni, Babcock. and co. even after paying hundreds of millions to get their certificates.

But then, education still remains the best legacy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Afamed: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
I will sincerely advise you to go ahead with your university education, however, while in the school try as much as possible to develop yourself in other areas of human development. It could be little biz hussling along the study, it could be be any informal learning. You don't need 24hours in a day in school these days.Your university education and exposure will definitely make you a better person in the nearest future. Above all, don't just pass through the university, let the university passes through you as well.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ProfAmaben(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Very good question. First of all, you have to understand what a university is. A university is a place where you attain a higher level of education through research and course work relevant to your discipline.

Acquiring University education prepares you better for life's challenges and makes it way easier for you to Integrate in any environment, those in the hostels would agree with me on this.

Secondly, a university is bascally an environment for education, which grants the pursuer of knowledge the requisite knowledge of what he seems to attain.

Thirdly, a university grows your social and future business network as so many have gotten employment through their former university friends and colleagues.

Fourthly, a university opens doors for intelligent and dogged students. There are so many jobs you can't get without being a graduate but there's no job that you can't get being a graduate or that ignores graduates except the low paying ones which most graduates dislike.

Fifthly, opening a business with your University fee is plain ignorance, the regrets would definitely come with time.

Lastly, you can always eat your cake and have it, it is no surprise that majority of successful people today in business are graduates. This is because the university tasks you mentally and this skill that can't be gotten from anywhere can be transferred to your business.

My humble logomachy!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by YorubaKinging: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nope

Try as much to be self employed and self reliant

Learn a trade

Be honest

And trust in God

But more importantly, don't sin no more

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by krissconnect(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Well, what may work for peter may not work for paul. But my candid advice, get a handwork or establish a side business before going to school. Nigeria no straight

8 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Samanza89: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
If you think its not worth it then try ignorance...

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Slynation(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
In fact self... From this part of the Country i don't know what to think anymore

But one thing I can assure you is that, getting the certificate may help you in future...
I can remember vividly 2011, some of my senior men, 4 tight friends, 2 just graduated from University while 2 was living life for the moment.... As God may have it, They met a man that loves their way and that was how the man requested for their credentials, The 2 of them that submitted was given a governmental job(custom to be precised) now "money nobi problem" while the remaining two are still patching up with life.... So it's good to get the cert even if it ain't useful after graduation, you never can tell what the future holds for you...

Meanwhile you can still do business while schooling...

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Unityp: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Sabificate is better than certificate these days shocked cool

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Azmanaty: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
NO
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ebujany(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Go to Bible School and become a pastor

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by IME1: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
undecided it is
Don't jump to conclusion based on the hardships you see in Nigeria.
I have attended schools, worked with my hands and done white collar jobs and I don't regret any.
School does not stand in your way of making money or following your destiny albeit informal.
School is good.
Formal education is good. It's not a bragging right though and it doesn't bestow any entitlement.

Even if you venture into entertainment, sports or politics or other things that don't necessarily require formal education, it will help you and serve as a platform for growth. Being a graduate tailor, footballer, baker, driver, actor, musician or counsellor will help you appreciate process, hardwork, independence of thought, group work and managerial sense, among several other things. I tell students and corps members, if you can't manage pocket money or allawee how will you manage salary, wages, profits and income? School teaches you how to manage your resources - food, time and money and to utilise your energies by channelling them to schoolwork, fellowship, games and sports, social groups, campus politics or external school competitions.

Money is not everything, if it is why are those with so much money not happy, content, in perfect health, with stable homes, with rest of mind, with genuine friends, with all they want and need, or why are they still stealing, cheating and greedy for the little their neighbours have? Is it an evil spirit angry

Dont collect the miney for 5 years tuition and accommodation and all that just to start business.
5 years open your eyes and close them it has finished.

Learn how to abase and abound, learn godly contentment, learn how to put money to work and not to admire it, brag with it, oppress with it, squander it and gloat with it. Happiness is key. God is over all.
Peace bro

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Hypocrit: 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2020
I thought enlightenment was cheap and easy, and also less important (that is, if it was important at all) until i went to the university. I experienced and noticed it was everything.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) / Answer This And 2 Others For 10k, Students Only / UNN Nursing Students Stand To Write Test Under The Sun (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.