Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31946 Views)

Top 7 Things To Know Before Going To The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by drightguy(m): 2:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
Going to school or getting a business of your own is a gamble. Lot of salary earners are all getting into one business or the other.

If you can get the buck money, get a business you know is viable and study later after all education don't have specific time as far you can read and write.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by makanma(f): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eryyy92:
coming from an illetrate
he spoke English.....and I believe an illiterate is someone who cannot read or write

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by rhames(m): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

[b]I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.[/b]

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

For the simple reason that you are not solely dependent on that certificate for livelihood coz its becoming an advantage not a guarantee.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by paix(m): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
and that's a graduate oo lmao
Na wa o.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ubcandid(m): 2:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
flokii:

In Nigeria, public universities give exposure with knowledge unlike the glorified secondary schools we have around where year 1 (100L) student can punish or order final year students around.
Talk of "adult babies".
Lol. You don't mean it. I can't imagine that happening in a FG instituition. Dem go parcel you give your parents like drug lords.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by paix(m): 2:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Hypocrit:
Thank you for that correction.
You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ubcandid(m): 2:34pm On Jun 01, 2020
MztaIkp:
If your parents have the whole money tied up somewhere, go ahead and collect it.
some comments are made from smart people for smart people. If only the OP understands this.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Bestvicky16(f): 2:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
It may be frustrating here in Nigeria but going to school is very important. You can still do business on campus while you school at the same time.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Antai123(m): 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2020
My candid advise, pls the importance of Education can not be over emphasized. Iam a graduate of UNN, though av not gotten a Job yet, but within my 4years in school, I learnt a lot as both curricular and extracurricular activities help to developed and make me a better person i am today. Peradventure I decide to start a business tomorrow I won't have any regret at all, cos as an accountant I have acquired the basic knowledge on how to handle finance, this can not be gotten any were else except in school.
During my days in school I was exposed to entrepreneurial skills such as barbing, etc, today I can barb well.
so what i am trying to say is that there are alot u stand to gain as a graduate than some one who didn't go to school. So my own advise to you, is to embrace education at the higher level now, so that u won't regret tomorrow...
Pls try as much as possible not to think of what to eat or wear tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of it self.
Go to school
study to show yourself approve a workman that need not to be ashame but rightly divide the word of truth.
Thanks.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Ishiewo: 2:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Yeah. Strictly for professional courses such as MBBS, BDS, Elect Elect, Law, Accountancy.

The rest : Arts/Humanities and Basic, Biological and environmental sciences are time wasting ventures.
Is Economics also a professional course.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by KLand(m): 2:43pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Yes, going to the university is still worth it, even if your ambition is to do business. Please don't give up your quest for uni education for anything.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dangoteinlaw: 2:43pm On Jun 01, 2020
makanma:
most of them are earning more than the graduates but you don't know....a man made millions just by packing and selling craps....you will forming educated....but you are waiting for buharis npower 30k
only rich ppl say money isn't everything, only beautiful ppl say beauty doesn't matter. Bros if you were a gutter cleaner u wouldn't even be here on nairaland arguing so why not lead be example. I know ur type coz i had them as friends, "I won't do the assignment " that's what they say but last last they will be rhe first to submit lol.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Originalsly: 2:48pm On Jun 01, 2020
@Eddykul

Ask yourself...... whatever is the degree you're after..... if you have that degree today..... minus the cost of tuition you have saved up to today..... how would that degree impact your life?

Consider the value of the degree..... does it carry weight in Nigeria? Would it take you ahead of the pack?....or just to be another one in the pack? More important... is the degree recognized abroad?.... or is it like the Naira....has no value abroad? Should you need to migrate.... or work with an international firm... would you be up to par? Universities are supposed to be where innovations take place.... or at least be at cutting edge level.... setting the pace. Would the degree put you in a position to be on top of current and trends to come?

Don't get me wrong.... universities are not useless.... getting a genuine university education and internationally recognized degree is never a waste of time. But in this country.... you need to think real hard before making that decision.

Look at trends.... because of COVID-19...many more are working from home. Is the degree one that allows you to work from home? No.... you're competing for local in office jobs with soo many other locals with similar degrees and connections. What are your chances? Yes..... you're in competition with people with similar international degrees and up to date experience.... global competition. After this COVID-19 thing is over..... many companies already announced that they would scale back on in office jobs and more will be working from home. This will be the new way of doing work.

My advice.... hold.on to your money.... rush into nothing. Wait until the crisis is over... watch the emerging trend before making a decision. If you have interest in acquiring skills.... then I suggest you apply to reputable trade schools abroad to acquire skills in either auto mechanics/electronics or elevator technician. These are two skills that are rare in Nigeria and are marketable abroad..... rare in the sense of maintaining or repairing modern cars or elevators.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ChiefS(m): 2:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Please save your money and don't bother going to University. If you think education is a waste of time and resources please try ignorance. The difference is clear
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Mawex(m): 2:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
In this 21st century going to school is very important, the importance of certificate is that even after so many years it'll still help you, it won't be easy to change profession at old age but it'll be easy to use your certificate to get government appointments and most especially you can join politics.

Now tell me isn't it worth it.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by TyTos: 2:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

business isnt all rosy as all people say it, and you may end up regretting not going

on the other hand you can go to school and still have a business or learn other things.

l have a lot to say on this issue but I dont have much time.. if not for coronavirus and all I would have love to have a one on one discussion with you on this matter... I have these thought myself and I am glad I graduated even tho I most likely wont use my degree(engineering)

I have lost a fortune doing business, and I have seen most people fail miserably at entrepreneurship. life will never be easy regardless of what you do

therefore it's most certainly better long term if you go to school so that at least you can teach inspire your children to value education
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Increased cost? What do you expect free university education? Anyway it's a choice. If you decide not to go to university better make sure you are incredibly talented or have sharp entrepreneurial skills that will earn you a decent living
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by coputa(m): 3:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
This topic has been over flogged, the word "going to school"means either knowing how to read and write or obtaining a diploma or a degree in a course from tertiary institutions that will prepare them for servitude(to work for others) so,it was structured,our school curricullum does not have job creation content,it is servitude oriented.In the 60s to 80s when the the jobs available equates the numbers of school leavers,there was a balance,but now that the number of school leavers out-numbered the jobs available,there's now a problem, In nigeria right now,so far you can read and write,because it is necessary for business growth,learn a skill,a trade or venture into any business of your choice,the money and time you will waste in five years can be used to grow your biz, go my advice for you is to go for skill,learn a trade or go for a business,
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by xxxXXXxxx: 3:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

it's essential to be learned,you'll realize it's a privilege!
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Pasiuba: 3:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
If you have the resources to get a degree don't ever miss it you will be glad you did.but if you enter uni make the very best of ur time there explore other activities outside ur curriculum. U can do student politics, do small business, teach students, learn skills.
At the end the really education will draw out the best in you.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Revolva(m): 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nigerian universities are one big den of failures to society ..from the professors who don't add value to society with their knowledge the how will the students be?

See in Nigeria just hustle and make money pls legit by long suffering and later go back to school maybe distance learning or what ever way or even travel abroad to study
I will be the last person to attend a Nigerian university anymore ..cultism and all dangerous vices may even kill you there

As for the private ones those ones have modern facilities but still yet the student there are not even serious after graduation, all they do is boast about their school and enjoy life over there

In Nigeria go and get the money in the street first that why many Igbo traders are making it big and you wey de school de learn book too much will still need them to give u deals lol
Infact na the people wey de study masters and PhD I de pity for sometimes

Mawex:
In this 21st century going to school is very important, the importance of certificate is that even after so many years it'll still help you, it won't be easy to change profession at old age but it'll be easy to use your certificate to get government appointments and most especially you can join politics.

Now tell me isn't it worth it.

Story Dem tell u say I wan be politician when I grow old abeg life is full of many opportunities

Certificate is rubbish it is how skilfully you are you will earn in this modern world ok
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by duchess854: 3:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
I saw this post and I thought of Robert Kiyosaki - the Business of 21 Century
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by hakeem4(m): 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Get the certificate and hustle!!!!!!
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by PeacenLove2: 3:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
Get the certificate and hustle like a drop out in Nigeria

This is it! And this is it!

OP, go school o. It's still the minimum requirements for entry level in most if not all companies. It could serve as back up incase your personal business doesn't go the way you planned. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

It's nice that you're thinking of going into business when lots of young people are still shying away from entrepreneurship despite the tough economy, spread your wings, Op.

You might find yourself an employee someday you want to have some edge only degrees will afford you. You might want to go into politics, go into contract business requiring educational qualifications. Also the knowledge is valuable however little you get and of course there is the prestige.

In other words, don't limit yourself. Good luck.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by FGonline: 3:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
25tolife:
Okada drop me here!
u no serious
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin
School is a scam says a graduate. Let's keep lying to ourselves. Anyways Op dont go sef, we dont need many graduate again, no jobs.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by BEEFIE: 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
your approach to life is not quite good. education is a means to an end not an end itself.

choose education and do your business.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by tunary(m): 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
25tolife:
Okada drop me here!
Nairaland people, Una no go kill me with laugh. lwkmo
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Strech(m): 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2020
my cousin bro wey na jus primary school cert him get.,dey collect almost 300k and me wey get msc still dey battle with 100+..guy school for naija na scam..I am even thinking of going to do apprentice with dat my bro.guy make the money school fit come anytime.. abi old people no dey go school?
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Almunjid(m): 3:29pm On Jun 01, 2020
That's the same mistake white and African Americans made, they believed going to University or College does not worth it. Some Africans from Nigeria and other part of Africa came to their country for masters and after their masters programs they got a good job there. Even Trump admitted that Nigerians have taken their jobs.

If we didn't curb that useless mentality here in Nigeria, years to come people will be coming from other countries for studies and they'll later occupy positions that are rightfully ours.

There's high rate of unemployment in our country, nobody has the assurance that he'll get a job after graduation. But it's good to be optimistic.

Must importantly, don't study a course that you'll depend of Government or companies for employment. Creativity and self employment are the key to success.

Peace!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Dresses Like Female Student To Win SUG Election At Anambra State University / Bishop Oyedepo: New Kings University Under Construction / A Thread For Medical Rehabilitation ( Physiotherapy) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.