Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31949 Views)

Top 7 Things To Know Before Going To The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by adisaaowala: 2:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin

Nothing sensible from you as usual
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by joefelin2345: 2:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
Get the certificate and hustle like a drop out in Nigeria
You have answered the question my brother/sister. God bless you.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
ODJ123:
op going to school is worth it ooo.
let no one Deceive you.
it gives you an ego,and this feel I can't explain.
maybe whenever people start looking down on you
you will understand better..
Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg were drop outs who looks down on them. It depends on you as a person. Like me now I prefer self learning, I am currently learning linear algebra, physics, computer programming (I have gone far in computer programming in less than a year) it depends on you as a person.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
adisaaowala:

Nothing sensible from you as usual
She may be a sycophant (not sure it's a she) but she's right bro.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by CocoaOla: 2:07pm On Jun 01, 2020
Somebody should please divine education? And not universities. We over do things upside down in this country

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
LordPherule:

Going to university is worth going, no matter the hardship after.

that is a lay man advice.

Assuming he really has a solid business in mind, it will be more profitable for him to collect N1m upfront from his parents and start the business.

They will actually spend up to that amount in 4 or 5 years to see him through the state owned university system.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
flokii:

Simply put.. shoot for the moon, if you miss you'd land amongst the stars.

Education makes one refined and "disease" free.
If you miss you may land on your starting point too. What about that You optimists always forget yourselves in dreams. REALITY IS REALER THAN DREAMS.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Luckydubby7(m): 2:09pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
. Consider time and money.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by mrdino(m): 2:10pm On Jun 01, 2020
One fact a lot of people are struggling to understand is that, education does not guarantee wealth, it aims to make you a better person, give you a broader understanding of things, even in diverse fields, and most importantly it brings a form of fulfilment. Which reminds me of the common saying "if you think education is expensive, then try ignorance".

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2020
SeriouslySense:
Education is not only in school, in fact, Education starts at home, let me explain some children start at an early age at home to play various musical instruments, but Some naturally are also drawn to painting, some naturally repair electronics, while some invent gadget right from childhood.

Some Children have great mimicking tendencies, where they copy what they have seen, and through that, they discovered a natural talent, and under the guidance of an adult, have shaped their gift, an example is that painter child in Lagos, who drew a portrait of Macron.

Other examples are Children making VFX effect, in their movies, and it was like professional work.

What I am saying is it is important you first discover what you want to achieve, not because of money, but because it's your natural talent, which gives you joy.
So wise people like this dey NL.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OgThanos: 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2020
ameh99:
All depends on what you do with your time as a student

While I was in school I still hustle like my life depends on the street to succeed

I acquired a lot of skills back then and today I have never used my cert for once

and am happy being a boss of my own..

Bruh, What are the skills you learnt ?
And how did you start building you self?
Wanna learn from a pro.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2020
mrdino:
One fact a lot of people are struggling to understand is that, education does not guarantee wealth, it aims to make you a better person, give you a broader understanding of things, even in diverse fields, and most importantly it brings a form of fulfilment. Which reminds me of the common saying "if you think education is expensive, then try ignorance".
You need a handshake. I always tell people that education does not mean wealth, it simply means knowledge and knowledge is like a drug to the intelligent they just can't get enough.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Lorenzop: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Yea of course you are right... Like when you say when people start looking down on you.

Do you know that some people can still look down on you when you go to school, graduate and still not get a job??

Sometimes, after graduating we go for jobs that are not even related to the course we read in school.

Today hardly will you even see a good job to do.

I am just scared of wasteing my time and money instead, investing for the future right now.

Take my advice, go and learn some soft skills or IT skills for at least one year....you are good to go.....u can choose to pursue online degree while working with your IT skill or vocation. A lot of jobs u see today will disappear, no thanks to Covid19 which has even made corporate organizations realize they can work remotely and still be profitable.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by frankblinkz(m): 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2020
im a graduate since 2015 and i'm still job hunting..does it ring anything,our educational system is a failed one..now smbdy will advice i pick up a skill or still learn businesses that can get me income..at this time
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dangoteinlaw: 2:13pm On Jun 01, 2020
Go school oo, I repeat go school!! Slavery hasn't ended o, only slave trade was stopped, the whites modified slavery in a way you as the slave will be the one to go to your master instead of d other way round and those laborers and gutter diggers, those are the modern slaves.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by makanma(f): 2:13pm On Jun 01, 2020
All I know is that busy people don't come on nairaland in the afternoon and midnight....education in Nigeria does not determine a person's destiny....some uneducated ones are making it more than the educated ones in this country....at least buhari is ruling the whole educated masses with his school cert....unless other universities are different from mine....but if its still the same rubbish all of them teach and the same methods of teaching.... Then university education in Nigeria is zero.....most of these people ranting here just wanna free themselves from the guilt of wasting their time in school.... Celebrities and others are going back to school not because they need the certificate... But because they want to know what it feels like....and they don't wanna be called uneducated illiterates..... That is to say stigmatization...
Op if you have money to study abroad.... Please go there....if you don't....learn a trade.....when you have established yourself wella.....you can still go to school.....education does not guarantee jobs....I know people that graduated since 2010.... They are still jobless...while their mates in businesses are already building houses....good day

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Fidelismaria: 2:13pm On Jun 01, 2020
I dey come
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by DEADALIVE: 2:16pm On Jun 01, 2020
Candid advice....the only advantage of university or college is the friend you keep and meet that will favour you in future.....business or education you need highly connected friends to flourish.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by adonainana: 2:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

Young man it really depends on what your future aims are in life oooo

Firstly, from my own personal experience if you dont have the zeal to study or become the following then university is useless and pointless
Doctor or nursing or dentistry , Being a lawyer or Engineer.

After these nothing else can justify going to a university.
Any degree you do in Nigeria which does not guarantee you going to a school of whatever to complete the qualification is not worth the ink and the paper that nigerian degree is printed on.

Dont waste your time and future.
Firstly think about what you aspire to become in life, do you want to become a lawyer, doctor, dentist or engineer.

If your answer is No, then there is not point going to university.

If you are still under 18 years old or thereabout, either learn a trade, start a business or start the alternative that will begin to put food o your table at 18 years straight away

The reasons is because 90 percent of Nigerian graduates who dont study the courses above end up going back to either learning a trade or having a side hustle to sustain the harsh reality of life

I have at least 10 of my friends who qualified as lawyers in 2018, who now sell bags and shoes etc

Also everyone now is now kinda woke from the internet, twitter and social media so sometimes even if you are not a graduate, so far your english is not poor poor, nobody will know and nobody will ask you.

The people that get discriminated in Nigeria are those who cant really speak English and therefore didnt go to University in Nigeria. Those ones get called different names

So ask yourself, is your English good enough or are you literate enough to avoid Teritiary University, there are a lot of things you can learn on Social Media these days, a lot of ideas, theories, feminism,activism from your one bedroom flat, you can be eloquently arguing from someone who went to Harvard with no problems whatsoever.

Just like twitter how a lot of feminist are now very very active on there, so far you are exposed to how modern life is, you dont need university.

Dont waste 6 years of your life, because if you do, all you would have is a degree and you may now find yourself back to base one.

Also if you decide not to go to uni, try to make sure you kick the ground running and save and focus on whatever trade, business you go into, and take extra certification classes to bolster your CV too

Just because you didnt go to uni doesnt mean you cannot have a CV

Trust me if you listen to this advice, you will be at least 10 years above your peers at all times

You would have acquired so much at a a young age and you wont need to leave Nigeria for any reasons due to frustration of unemployment

My two cents bro

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OgThanos: 2:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

Just get the degree. Even though our unemployment rate is very high presently. It doesn't mean that it would remain so forever. With a degree, even without job, you always be ready to submit anytime there is an opening somewhere.

Business itself is not an easy road to success. Just as people may spend a lot of money to become a graduate and still end up poor as a church rat, people may also spend even more on business and never succeed.

It is not easy to be successful. We are all just trying and hoping that we will get some luck to make our efforts yield positive results.

But in my own opinion, I will advise that you get an undergraduate degree. Or at least, an HND.
Did you mean to say
" At least an OND" ? undecided
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 01, 2020
It is worth it! Believe me. Even though that’s not all you need to survive anymore. You still need street to thrive! I am not a university graduate but I have achieved good enough than an average Nigerian graduate.

I still wish that I have a university degree...I just want to be able to blow big grammar lol... but no be for this yeye country sha!
Money wey I go use collect Nigerian university certificate, I go use am build house!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dangoteinlaw: 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2020
paix:
Thought.
and that's a graduate oo lmao
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Yea of course you are right... Like when you say when people start looking down on you.

Do you know that some people can still look down on you when you go to school, graduate, and still not get a job??

Sometimes, after graduating we go for jobs that are not even related to the course we read in school.

Today hardly will you even see a good job to do.

I am just scared of wasting my time and money instead, investing for the future right now.

If you like don't go to school, be looking for excuses. They say preparedness meets opportunity. Better go and prepare yourself.

But if you still think school is a waste of time, I beg you, join politics. Look for a political party and attach yourself to one local govt chairman for a start.

If you don't do either of the two, hmmm.

You can still try business. But be prepared to be a houseboy for two years if you want to learn the business. Choose wisely.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Olakinsdotcom(m): 2:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
op Don't follow those saying education is scam, get your certificate and try to develop yourself i.e acquire a skill(like graphics, web design, programming etc) you can even learn all this online. Even though the certificate is not fetching you cash today.the opportunity will come one day and if you don't get it you can have it.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Gbogbowa: 2:19pm On Jun 01, 2020
Go to secondary School so that you can read and write,look for good business and start continue to develop yourself via internet period,
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OKTolu: 2:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
My brother you gat to go no matter the situation in the country, from where I come from there is no alternative to schooling.

Don't judge the situation base on what's happening in the country now, remember CHANGE is constant, in a nutshell anything can happen tomorrow
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ekerintee: 2:20pm On Jun 01, 2020
The problem is not about going to university but about studying a course which is demanded.the labour market has changing demand . Nigerian youth must know what is in demand presently and also in the next 10 years .some course are out of demand or low demand and spending 5 years to study such is a waste of time.its really good to go university but not everybody can go ,in Nigeria much emphasis is placed on university certificate and u are more like nobody without it,it's not so in developed countries where emphasis is placed on vocational training,what u can contribute to the society.in the developed countries,people are trained regularly,the govt support.like somebody who finished university and has no job,he is adviced on suitable job wit high job chances and trained in such area.in Nigeria,we assume that once u finish uni,school is finished .so get trained in relevant course in demand,if u have opportunity to get university education,go for a good course you have passion for and in demand

Lord

Pherule
:

Going to university is worth going, no matter the hardship after.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rexnegro(m): 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2020
Shezkid01:
A wise man said
then why get the cert if hustling like a dropout can get u rich without the cert.... the time to get the cert use it to get richer then .... most men on suits work for the man on jeans. so fucck the cert if u can make it without it .... all u need is just to read, write and understand. good afternoon

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by GeneralPula: 2:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
If you can discover yourself without having to go to school, then you going to school is a total waste of time!

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Eryyy92: 2:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onyi22:
My dear make use of ur skills, talents and forget about school...
Schooling in Nigeria na scam...
The only language that is well understood in Nigeria is MONEY, go for and thank me later it grin grin
coming from an illetrate
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Raptureminded(m): 2:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
Nigeria problem is too much dependent on crude oil. But our government have neglected Agriculture which is another source of revenue and very lucrative for individual practice.
You can invest into agriculture be it livestock or crop farming.
All you need is to get yourself intimitated with this lucrative business by getting an E-BOOKS on any agricultural field you want to venture into e.g poultry, rabbit, piggery, fishery, cucumber, tomato, okro etc.
For more info you can contact me via WhatsApp or call on +2348142147545
Or email me @ oguntundeluke@gmail.com.
PLEASE NOTE THE EBOOKS ARE NOT FREE BUY AFFORDABLE.

Best regards
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by makanma(f): 2:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
Go school oo, I repeat go school!! Slavery hasn't ended o, only slave trade was stopped, the whites modified slavery in a way you as the slave will be the one to go to your master instead of d other way round and those laborers and gutter diggers, those are the modern slaves.
most of them are earning more than the graduates but you don't know....a man made millions just by packing and selling craps....you will forming educated....but you are waiting for buharis npower 30k

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Dresses Like Female Student To Win SUG Election At Anambra State University / Bishop Oyedepo: New Kings University Under Construction / A Thread For Medical Rehabilitation ( Physiotherapy) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.