Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect (23261 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Commissions Housing Project Built By Agboyi-Ketu LCDA / Ayade Commissions Drone-Powered Drugs Delivery Centre / Ben Ayade Commissions Toothpick Factory In Cross River State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by offiong187: 1:49pm On May 31, 2020
Ayade commissions upscale housing estate for Bakassi IDPs, decries 18 years neglect

Emotions ran high weekend as Cross River State governor, Professor Ben handed over an ultra modern housing estate to displaced Bakassi indigenes who became refugees following the ceding of the oil rich peninsula to Cameroon in 2002.
Situted at Ifiang Ayong, the fully furnished 2-bedroom housing units is a reprieve to the refugees who have for almost two decades been living in squalor at a primary school in Akpabuyo Council Area of the state.

Senator Florence Ita- Giwa, a prominent Bakassi indigene, who has been stridently championing the cause of the displaced people wept as Governor Ayade, assisted by the Obong of Calabar, His Eminence Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu V, handed over the keys to the buildings to the ecstatic beneficiaries.

Some of the beneficiaries, mostly looking frail, also shed tears of joy as keys to their houses were handed to them.

There were emotional scenes when a key to one of the houses was given to one of the oldest IDP who is also a widow.
She could not contain her joy as Ayade shared a meal with her in her new house in addition to donating N500,000 to her.

Speaking at the event, Governor Ayade expressed delight at the completion of the housing scheme and subsequent delivery to the displaced persons, adding that their suffering has always tugged at his heart.
"My first tear for the people of Bakassi was when I was a senator on the floor of the Nigerian Senate which prompted me to push for a bill for the establishment of social housing and the making of provision of housing a right,” said Ayade.

Expressing delight at the realisation of the housing project, the governor said he feels “a sense of fulfillment to see my sons, my aunties, my mothers and fathers who lived in a clustered accomodation in a primary school with mosquitoes feasting on them now moving into their new homes.

“Today, by the grace of God, by the instrumentality of the holy ghost, we are here gathered to celebrate the plethora of opportunities where people will be living in a world class estate."

The governor bemoaned the loss of the peninsula, saying the ceding did not follow internationally prescribed process.
His words: "Today is not just about the joy to the people of Bakassi, it is the supremacy of the governance of a sensitive people over the failure of the federal government to be responsible for the pain of the people of Bakassi.

"The ceding of Bakassi did not follow any legal authority. It is inconsistent with the provisions of our constitution because the Constitution is very clear that for you to cede any territory of Nigeria you must have a proper plebiscite, you must have the domestication of such ceding and ratified by the National Assembly. Until you do so whatever you have done is null and void."
The governor stated that by resettling the returnees in decent houses, their misery has come to an end.

He announced the donation of N50million and other economic incentives to them to enable them earn a living.
“This is the first social housing scheme in Nigeria in absolute terms where the ownership is in perpetuity, where the property is yours to keep forever. We will continue to expand it. This is not a shelter, this is housing. It has amenities, it has power, it has water, it has all the utilities you will need. It has solar lighting, it has the generator and the 3rd grid which is the national grid. But today I am going to assure you that we have acquired boats which are by the water side to enable you do fishing for those who can fish.

"We have also made provisions for a take off grant of N50million to support all of you who live here who want to start small businesses. And the good news here is that I have no elections to run so you can see clearly this is not politics, it is from my heart. But I call on the people of Bakassi to be strong because your kids will grow to become leaders someday and when they grow they will do much more than I have done here today."

Governor Ayade appealed to President Muhammadu to fulfil his campaign promises to the Bakassi people whom he said have suffered untold neglects in the last 18 years.
Earlier, Senator Giwa who is the Chairman of the resettlement allocation committee said her committee went through a rigorous process to ensure equitable allocation of the houses to the Internally Displaced Persons.
Describing the expansive estate as a "new city in a remote place," Senator Giwa thanked the governor for fulfilling his promise to Bakassi people.
https://ait.live/governor-ayade-inaugurates-housing-estate-for-bakassi-returnees-after-14-years/amp/

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Kelvinpam(m): 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
After 5 years on this forum. I celebrate my first FTC on the last day of May 2020. The feeling is awesome.

I wish my fans strength to persevere. One day, it will be your turn. cheesy grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
Looks nice.

24 Likes

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by jericco1(m): 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
Poor quality undecided

To all the fools that quoted me, I stand by what I earlier said.. if you want to do something, you do it with your might. Do you think any of his family will stay in a place like this? What if the roof falls due to poor finishing or inferior building materials! You are all goats! He is not using his money to do all this, why can't he do it to medium range if not standard! Thunder fire all of Una way quote me undecided

5 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by lmm4real: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
I just remember Obasanjo again. The man sins plenty. undecided

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by ABBAkyari: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
Nice ones

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by dongodav: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
The guy above is using 6g

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Hamzatgodfirst(m): 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
That's good... Nice one

1 Like

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by nurez305(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Good job

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Luvinghubby: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
This is commendable.

Obasanjo how market, I hear say you no fit pay your workers salary. You dash Cameroun Nigeria land and you nor fit resettle the indegenes.
Too bad.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by IamPatriotic(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Ayade
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by ForeThinker: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Making one person the only source of love does not work because love is in everything and everyone. When we miss that, we miss the point of life. Really.

6 Likes

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by ikaboy: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
forming no covid 19 in my state.

Giant strides anyway

Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Nigeriabiafra80: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Bakassi indigenes was used as a compensatory collateral damage for Cameroon
For fighting in favor of Nigeria during biafra war

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by nurez305(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Arisevisa:
100% visa application guaranteed 10 SLOTS AVAILABLE AFTER THE PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN; HURRY NOW AND CALL 080::34::27::19::32 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
This is an opportunity to apply for Two years U.S.A, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, SOUTH KOREA and any other country working visa; for both
Family and single packages.
Note : NO DOWN PAYMENT UNTIL visa IS OUT AND Payment must be made immediately your visa and employment letter is out. PLEASE ONLY INTERESTED PERSONS CAN CONTACT/WHATSAPP US ON 080::34::27::19::32
scam

7 Likes

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Fizzymike1(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
I think this man has got a new motivation in his second tenure. Even oposition are at peace with him

28 Likes

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Troydeenney(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
That's nice of him at Least he's not doing fashion with facemask this time around

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 31, 2020
Ayade the businessman

1 Like

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by ODJ123(m): 1:58pm On May 31, 2020
grin grin grin
_*�I mistakenly sent 50k to a wrong*_
number early this morning. After
realising this, I calmed down and
sent this text message,

"Hello dear, I hope u have received the
membership welcome fee of 50k
into the Satanism Industry. That is
just the begining of the richest life
u are about to start living.

We have a meeting tonight whereby we will
slaughter 3 virgins in celebration of
ur new membership. Lets meet at
11pm in ur house. But if u are not
interested, kindly send the money
back to this number otherwise,
welcome to the Satanism Industry.
See u tonight." 10minutes later, I
received a text message saying,
"Pls send another 50k�, my friend is
interested too...........

*Am still crying ���since morning*

Good one..

meanwhile check ma SIG

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by CHIBUISI1(m): 1:58pm On May 31, 2020
For IDP..........this estate
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by phr0nesis(m): 1:59pm On May 31, 2020
What an achievement
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Sarch: 1:59pm On May 31, 2020
Good one by the Governor.
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Siga: 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
Good one
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Kolossus20(m): 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
God bless Prof Ben Ayade for this kind gesture towards the Idp of Bakassi. The people deserve more of this... It is a shame for a country to have its citizens live as IDP.

4 Likes

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by Raxxye(m): 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
The matter of the ceding of this oil-rich peninsula to Cameroun beats me till date. I couldn't fathom why the Obasanjo-led Nigerian government refused to appeal the judgment until the window period elapsed, thereby sealing the fate of the hapless Bakassi people; throwing them out of their ancestral home and completely neglecting them!

Those in the know could probably throw more light.
I really hate Obasanjo for his role in Nigeria's loss of that peninsula.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by CrazyCrane: 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
ayade my Governor
Re: Ayade Commissions Housing Estate For Bakassi IDPs, Decries 18-Year Neglect by bonnyhope: 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
jericco1:
Poor quality undecided

Better than none

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Umahi Inspects & Directly Partakes In Ongoing Projects In Ebonyi (Pix) / Saraki : Senators Set For Stormy Session Tomorrow - Punch / Buhari Meets With Justin Welby, Archbishop Of Canterbury, In UK (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.