Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,717 members, 7,824,037 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? (27374 Views)

I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / How Much Does A BSC Holder Earn As A University Non-Academic Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by vertueptime: 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2020
NBS

topedoski:
I am currently a student in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. I applied for Computer Science but I was offered Statistics. I had no other options than to go for it. I have been at home with no admission for 3 years and my junior brother would also be writing Jamb next year, so you see?

Well I discovered that I haven't really think about the course Statistics because I have always dreamt of being a computer scientist, I even learnt how to code while at home. But this statistics is like a new world to me. I want to know what and what I will be facing as a statistician, what kind of career field are available or open for someone who read statistics.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Blue3k(m): 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2020
Try being an actuary or analyst. There's plenty of opportunities for you.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by matrixme(m): 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2020
Data analysts are needed everywhere in the corporate sphere. Don't limit your immagination. Besides, you can't afford to spend an extra year at home... When you get to the bridge of employment, you will cross it. Just focus on developing yourself

1 Like

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by cray91(m): 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2020
Don't stress Yourself bro! you can work anywhere just finish your First Degree thats the main thing
topedoski:
I am currently a student in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. I applied for Computer Science but I was offered Statistics. I had no other options than to go for it. I have been at home with no admission for 3 years and my junior brother would also be writing Jamb next year, so you see?

Well I discovered that I haven't really think about the course Statistics because I have always dreamt of being a computer scientist, I even learnt how to code while at home. But this statistics is like a new world to me. I want to know what and what I will be facing as a statistician, what kind of career field are available or open for someone who read statistics.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Dchampion65: 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

You are still on the part of being computer scientist. Both courses dealt with data, processing is difference. Just make sure you add major computer science courses as electives courses.

Go ahead to M.Sc in computer science.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by olatunjida: 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2020
I rarely do comment on Nairaland but I can assure you that you got one of the best courses in the world. This is answered prayer and i believe you sshould tap into it.

Data Science is one of the hottest jobs right now and for the future with emergence of AI and very firm/solid understanding of statistics paves way.

Be serious, Learn the Principles, APPLY ON REAL LIFE SCENARIOS. Join Hackathons and you would come out super happier than you expected.

GO AND SHINE

3 Likes

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by tomzyELNINO: 1:28pm On Jun 02, 2020
MORTUARY
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Movicq(m): 1:28pm On Jun 02, 2020
Barbing Saloon or for Shrine
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by 12345baba(m): 1:29pm On Jun 02, 2020
Uber or bolt
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by tellwisdom: 1:30pm On Jun 02, 2020
Mortuary, counting how many corpse came in per day sad
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by able20(m): 1:30pm On Jun 02, 2020
Statistical farming technology
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by nickxtra(m): 1:31pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

National Bureau of Statistics
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Generalgoshen: 1:32pm On Jun 02, 2020
Riftvisa:
100% visa application guaranteed 10 SLOTS AVAILABLE AFTER THE PANDEMIC LOCKDOWN; HURRY NOW AND CALL 080::34::27::19::32 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
This is an opportunity to apply for Two years U.S.A, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, SOUTH KOREA and any other country working visa; for both
Family and single packages.
Note : NO DOWN PAYMENT UNTIL visa IS OUT AND Payment must be made immediately your visa and employment letter is out. PLEASE ONLY INTERESTED PERSONS CAN CONTACT/WHATSAPP US ON 080::34::27::19::32
this guy again, hmmm
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by ednut1(m): 1:33pm On Jun 02, 2020
Banks, audit firms, investment houses
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Samcent: 1:34pm On Jun 02, 2020
Op, congratulations!
Statistics over Computer Science any time, any day.
You can work anywhere!
Health, Tech, Finance, Education - anywhere!
Just get yourself busy with acquiring knowledge and relevant skill.

1 Like

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by AnanseK(m): 1:34pm On Jun 02, 2020
Statistical Epidemeology is is among the qualifications in highest demand worldwide these days.

This demand is hugely increased with the Covid 19 pandemic affecting the whole world. The demand for data driven decisions and both epidemiological , economic and market models makes statisticians extremely in high demand.
If I were you I would forget about going for computers course which is , a general and non professional field , since every professional these days has to master computing.

A degree course in statistics is a degree in computing plus.

You are so lucky to get this course at the right time as the demand for experts in statistics will continue to increase for The foreseeable future.
Statistics is the future in all aspects of world socio-economy for modeling and data driven decisions . Be part of it young man.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by oludanobi: 1:37pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

I was in your shoes many years ago , I wanted to study Chemical Engineering but alas I got offered Maths and Stats , I soo did not want to do that course , I felt ashamed when people asked me what I was studying . I half heartedly studied it .

A degree in stats gives you the foundation for becoming a programmer , data analyst , data scientist , financial analyst, statistician , educator etc

I think what is more important is what additional skills you acquire on top of that foundation , what tools you learn to use and how you apply it .

My story - After I finished my Stats degree, I got Oracle certified , started worked in a bank for 2 years then left Nigeria to get an MSc in IT. I have worked in predominantly data roles since then and I can tell you it is rewarding , but like everything else you MUST put in the work . All the best !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by sowilli: 1:39pm On Jun 02, 2020
Statistics is becoming an interesting topic again because of the role it plays in data science. Please start seeing how you can apply your statistics knowledge in data science and you will be a hot cake for any industry.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Focusmind: 1:39pm On Jun 02, 2020
Develop your capability in Data science and mining.

Get your masters and even up to PHD to stand a better chance of working for development and international NGOs.

perfect your skills in areas of SPSS, Data kit, STAT and other data analysis tools used by international development agencies.

Bro, Statistics is far better than computer science. At least, you can still do some professional computer related courses.

Make sure you are sound and comfortable with numbers otherwise , you would struggle with the course

Good luck!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:40pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

First of all, to become a statistician, you will most certainly need at least a master's degree.

A statistician can work in any industry because there is no industry that does not need a statistician, from medicine to behavioral sciences.

A statistician can work for government in all ministries, they can work in schools, and research facilities in and outside universities. They can work in hospitals, television stations, betting sites, sports industry, business, music, anywhere.

Statisticians are some of the most demanded professionals in the world, especially for survey creation and data analysis.

Even when professors conduct experiments, they always need statisticians to anaylze and interpret their data for them.

So, you are in a field where you can never be jobless as long as you know what you are doing.

But let me tell you something, statistics is not an easy course. It is very hard (if not impossible) to get a first class.

So, just study hard to know rather than just to pass exams. So, that you will be an expert whom even governments will want to give jobs to.

Parting shot: my father is a statistician.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Franchise21(m): 1:42pm On Jun 02, 2020
topedoski:

This is Naija... You can work anywhere. Business Analyst, Data Analyst and stuffs... I'm a Statistics graduate also. I've worked in two electricity companies and also worked in the banking sector. Just try to graduate with a good grade
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by win2kwire: 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2020
STOP STUDYING USELESS DEGREES FROM 50 YEARS AGO NAIJA MENTALITY, SOCIOLOGY, STATISTICS, MASS COMM.

CHECK THE GLOBAL TREND AND SUBJECTS THAT ARE CAREER BUILDING NOT ONLY IN NIGERIA BUT ON EARTH!

IT DOES NOT ONLY HAVE TO BE A DEGREE, IT COULD BE TRADES AND SKILLS!
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by ArticleBeast: 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2020
NoIgboSoundTueh:

The field is saturated or should i say there is not enough opportunities in nigeria
Stop limiting yourself to Nigeria alone. Think outside your comfort zone. You can do freelancing, apply for international remote jobs, create your own agency. You only have to develop a positive mindset towards your hustle and get a mentor to guide your path.

2 Likes

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by IDERAWOLE(m): 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2020
Young man, don't be lazy. You want to study computer science and you were given statistics!

Google will give a thousand and one uses of that versatile course you're studying.

Many of you guys are still thinking of job after graduation!

Look for problems to solve with whatever course you're studying. That's the way to the bank.

topedoski:

1 Like

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by DrObum(m): 1:45pm On Jun 02, 2020
You can work anywhere. It's a nice course.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Acidosis(m): 1:46pm On Jun 02, 2020
Don't just limit yourself to your B.Sc. Statistics unless you're comfortable with government jobs in agencies like NIS, Nigeria Bureau of Statistics (NBS), Nigeria Population Commission, and others.

There are too many areas you can explore: Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E), GIS, Market & Marketing Research, Big Data, Data Mining, etc

New analytic tools are everywhere to learn: SAS, R, Python, Rapid Miner, etc. In fact, "ordinary" basic and intermediate Ms Excel will put food on your table if you know where your clients are grin

As a student, you can start making your thousands or millions by analyzing students' research data. Make friends with Lecturers, you can make as much as #100-200k analyzing and interpreting data for one PhD student with SAS, Eviews, STATA, etc.

It takes extra effort to learn these skills though. Don't expect your lecturers to teach you Python or Excel. They won't even if you spend 15 years on campus.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by SirWarlock: 1:47pm On Jun 02, 2020
NCDC
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by mayordemo: 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2020
first I need to congratulate you for studying the best course, As a statistician, don't worry on where you can work, but rather develop yourself and let companies worry search for you
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by NaijadrivaCars: 1:53pm On Jun 02, 2020
Some courses need to be scrapped in Nigeria.
You can work in NPC, NBS (National Bureau of Statistics), AEGIS etc
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by ijayopi(m): 1:54pm On Jun 02, 2020
In my country Nigeria, you can work anywhere.
Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by Cameroonglass(m): 1:55pm On Jun 02, 2020
Me, working with my Bsc Statistics (2009)

Re: Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? by TheVictorious(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2020
Hello, OP, please grab this opportunity with open hands. Almost every industry/business need data analysts in the 21st century to make fact-based and effective decisions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos / 76-Year-Old Borno Civil Sevant Who Still Collects N675 As Pension (Photo) / Is NLNG The Highest Paying Oil And Gas Firm In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.