Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,425 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? (116537 Views)

Share Your Experience Living In The Same Compound With The Landlord/Landlady / Nigerians Need To Start RELOCATING Back Home- Invest In AMEN ESTATE Phase2 / Aloysius Ikegwuonu (bishop) Builds Home For The Disabled - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by jieta: 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
Officialgarri:
Same thing is happening to a guy. He keeps sending money to his family to build a house for him but the project was so slow compared to the amount he has been sending.
His siblings kept squandering the money.
He sent home a bus full of clothes, his eldest brother dissapeared with it.

Now, he met a lady online with the promise of marriage. He started sending money via this girlfriend because he doesn't trust his family.
Not knowing the girl is only subtle demon too.

For everything he wants to buy, this girlfriend will double the price and till now, he's still sending money till now.
The lady's family are also aware and encouraging her to drain the guy.

This is not an hearsay, the lady is my friend grin

I've never spoken to the guy. I only see him on video calls when he's talking with her cheesy . And it's not my business neither is it my duty to ruin their relationship.

Recently, he asked the lady to get a shop close to the guy's family house. This lady informed her sister and mother. They advised this lady to convince him to rent the shop in her own state. Stating that, if she gets a shop close the guy's family house, the business will be in the guy's brother's name. So, she was advised to convince him to get the shop in her own family state so the business would be in her name. Also, she should tell him the shop is 5million naira cheesy cheesy

She has convinced the guy, but I haven't heard about the money though cheesy
its not funny put your self in the guys shoe and you will be amaze how it look like. Pls snitch on the girl tell the guy what is happening.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
Aboguede:

Size

Egone?
can we text on a better platform
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by boyjo: 12:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
paradigmshift:

Look for a way to tell the guy. Don't be a devil. E go happen to you or your pikin for future o. Nobody be Superman.
E dey behave like real devil.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by blackboy(m): 12:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
no be today. They will use someone's elses money to pay their childrens schools fees go on holiday , flex around town, drink , party, pay offering . form big man or woman in the area even further their studies or buy car, invest in their own property .

Welcome to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by EdmundDantes(m): 12:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
Jeffyblaq:
Thatz a thing I never did even when they come to me and say that they are engineers and developers....

I wld rather employ a professional outside . Yeah I kno they're all thieves just to milk.

But, family members are also there to milk and kill if possible.

Fear Nigerians especially the ugly ones at the hinterlands

Wise choice. Let the relatives be giving situation report instead. And the report self must come from multiple/independent sources in order to sieve the wheat from shafts.

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by NoToPile: 12:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
EdmundDantes:

The key to success in these endeavours is to engage a pro and establish multiple (independent) sources of checks on the progress of work.

Oya who will you engage to check is it not the same family and friends.

Its just to get a professional that won't compromise with standards at least if he will cheat you, your mind is at rest that you were not cheated in vain.

We have a very long way to go in this country honestly.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by olisaEze(m): 1:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
To avoid these type of stories that touch from family members, that is how one young dude resident in Belgium was murdered by his building contractor, an electrician in asaba, delta state.
The wicked fellow had been sending him pics of another person’s building all along and ripping him off of d moni being sent to him. Only for the Belgian dude to show up unannounced and was murdered and buried with a bean sack in a shallow grave by this heartless individual to cover his crime.
The most annoying thing there is that after all the public outcry and media hype by the then commissioner of police, this evil murderer is out of jail now after spending a little over a year in police detention even with his video confession as evidence.
That my pipo is the sorry state of justice in Nigeria! Just don’t let anyone kill u for nothing because nothing will happen as long as the murderer can afford to pay his way out!
Tell ur client to be grateful for life at least and either forgive and move on or prosecute the bloody ingrate now that she can garner public sympathy!
Na daylight dem dey take pursue black goat enter house o! undecided

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Jeffyblaq(m): 1:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
Lovelyn451:
Chai, the only people that can do this are uncles and Aunties..wicked people
I doubt any sibling will do this to their blood
Don't be too sure next time.

I ve sent some money home.. My very immediate elder brother diverted 970k from it..

When asked after every estimates carried out.. He flared up n started talking bullshits

Mama simply asked me to let it go for peace to be..

Funny! But I've learnt my lessons.. You kno!
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Aboguede(m): 1:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
praiseneo:
can we text on a better platform

Where is better platform

WhatsApp?
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
A similar case where friends and family were called to sort out how 70,000 Euros which represented 3 yrs savings of a Nigerian working tirelessly in Sweden. He sent the money in tranches to his Blood brother (elder) to build a town-house where he could settle the entire family and siblings.

He had been sent an architectural design for an actual building that was being built in the East, complete with pictures of different stages of the project on-going. At some point the owner of the building noticed that pictures of his house was circling on Social media, he contacted my friend to immediately desist from claiming ownership of his house - this was when my friend decided to come home to see matters for himself. lo and behold, there was no land, no structures and all the 70,000 Euros had been blown by both siblings, father, mother and other relatives. embarassed so sad. this was the same person sending money back home for upkeep, sacrificing his own needs for the family. Nigerians are the worst of God's creation I swear. we deserve the hottest spots in Hell grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by kizyalex10(m): 1:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
Josnac:
Good day Nairalanders.

To start, something happened some days ago, but before I go into it, let me say something most of us might have heard, like me.

Well, growing up in a typical Nigerian city (Aba) back in the days..I was privileged to listen to discussions or conversations about how someone based abroad (Ala-bekee) used to send in money for a building project in the village/city as the case may be; then after some years or over the duration of some months, would return to meet a practically empty plot of land. in some cases, the so-called land would even be nonexistent.

The type of wahala issues like this cause eh, to those who can bear it, they can simply let go since the culprits in most cases are always blood relatives/siblings/uncle's/in-laws etc.

In my line of work I've equally bumped into a couple of such projects..the most recent one being the reason for this thread.

So, some days ago, I was contacted to evaluate a building project; a supposed one storey building comprising of 4x3-bedroom flats. However, only the front flat had been done up to "their" supposed deck beam level.
The owner of this project is based in Philadelphia, U.S.A and is a woman well over the late 60's.
The project supervisor/executioner is an in-law (I think he married one of the woman's daughters based on the information I received)..

Now, the instruction was simple: "Build this house while I send in the funds, at completion you and your family would take one flat and stay as caretakers of the property".

In all honesty, what I saw at the site left me bewildered and I was just wondering the "version" of wickedness at work in the so-called in-law.. seriously!!

By the building regulation standards, a standard building height ought to be at least 3metres. To achieve this during construction (block work stage), we do what I called "4-5-1-3" for bungalow buildings and "4-5-1-2" for lower levels of multi-storey buildings above the D.P.C.
Breakdown:
Above the DPC.
4: the first 4-courses of block work leading up to the window sill.
5: the next 5courses of block works above the window sill leading up to the lintel.
1: the lintel, always having a depth of 225mm (9inches) which is the depth of all block sizes.
3: the final 3-course of block work above the lintel use to level up in readiness for roof work. In multi-storey buildings, this last 3-courses is replaced by 2-courses with the final block removed and a deck beam introduced in its stead.

For the structure under review, what I met was more like a "3-4-1-3" (as shown in the picture) kind of formation following the same format as explained above. Now me sef wey dey think say I short, I still dey bend to enter one of the rooms because the door opening will always hit my forehead, yes, that's how bad it was!
And this is supposed to be a storey building!!

Next, I equally noticed that the plinth beams (mostly referred to as "chaining" at the DPC level), were without stirrups; yes, more like the 3-12mm used were just laid round the areas they thought necessary with over-site concrete (German floor) laid directly on them. Wow! we too Sabi for this country!!!

Well, luckily for this woman in question, she happened to have returned during one of the ceremonies the Igbere people of Abia State is known for, The Igbotonma ceremony, as she was a participant in the 2017 edition, thereafter she was taken to see her project; rooms were too small, kitchen was too small, etc..the house just looked so unplanned. She was heartbroken thus ordered the job to be stopped.

Please our brothers/sisters in the obodo oyibo (abroad) try as much as possible to engage professionals to do these things for you and while at it, endeavour to come in at least once to see the project by yourself and note any peculiar landmarks or something you can use to identify your site from a photograph, before them go begin send photos of Mr Okonkwo's site go give Mr Clinton. Insist on photo updates every 2-days, if not daily or at worst every 3-days..these stories are painful and they don't just touch the heart, the touch the spinal cord too.

Well, for this particular project, discussions are ongoing and a redesign is on the way..by God's grace a follow up thread will be available to show the updates and progress made when the job starts.

Have you experienced anything like this before??
Talk to us so that others can learn.

Best wishes,
Josnac.

cc: Lawyer
yes bro u re right,i knw some of my friends who have bought lands only for their siblings nd d rest to find d documents nd resell it etc even building.i am blessed to have wonderful family nd siblings.even thou me nd my kid bro re abroad,my elder ones re doing fine here in nigeria more than us abroad self.my second brother is a civil engineer he built my house nd dat of my brother without collecting a single dime from us as workmanship or supervision fee and every single stage is well documented nd broken down to the be understood even buy a local man.and i came bck febuary this year for my wedding dat happened easter Monday. Both our cars nd my houses for me nd my younger brother were delivered to us.my uncles have been wonderful too.nt all of them but 90 percent. But i believe everybody knws d family they come from so in such case its easy to knw who to trust nd who nt to.even landed properties we bought with its papers were handed over to us.we re blessed in my family.My advice to guys in such conditions is to save ur money outrightly.most guys in this condition re people who do nt have a proper document to travel,either they re waiting to be a citizen while they build so once they have d papers they will travel home but for me if i happen to come from such home,is better the money is in my acc resting till am bck .

4 Likes

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Isoduwa(m): 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
ovie8200:
This is why I have nothing to do in Nigeria and the people that live there.

So why is Nigerian matter na your problem stay away from here we don't need people like you

Keep your money away from bad network but don't Stay away from your perspective

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by praiseneo(m): 1:13pm On Jun 05, 2020
Aboguede:

Where is better platform

WhatsApp?
yea 08067662004
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Charly68: 1:16pm On Jun 05, 2020
Better still thank God that they did not kill you to cover up their wickedness,thank them and pray to God to reward them according to their deeds ..Those who defraud others will end up in a pit life one day . Thank God for everything..
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by MOnkeyBabe(f): 1:22pm On Jun 05, 2020
IMO01:
I sell lands in imo state Nigeria. Please check my profile
note me down in case of futuRe. You never know
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by smile4excel(f): 1:24pm On Jun 05, 2020
[ Pls add enough sand in the garri, this is pure wickedness. If anyone my friend or family does this,I will report you to the person because it hurts that's why we're human . Maybe the said guy is your husband in disguise after all his current girl your friend doesn't love him one bit]Same thing is happening to a guy. He keeps sending money to his family to build a house for him but the project was so slow compared to the amount he has been sending.

Now, he met a lady online with the promise of marriage. He started sending money via this girlfriend because he doesn't trust his family.

For everything he wants to buy, this girlfriend will double the price and till now, he's still sending money till now.

I've never spoken to the guy. I only see him on video calls when he's talking with her cheesy . And it's not my business neither is it my duty to ruin their relationship.

Recently, he asked the lady to get a shop close to the guy's family house. This lady informed her sister and mother. They advised this lady to convince him to rent the shop in her own state. Stating that, if she gets a shop close the guy's family house, the business will be in the guy's brother's name. So, she was advised to convince him to get the shop in her own family state so the business would be in her name. Also, she should tell him the shop is 5million naira cheesy cheesy

She has convinced the guy, but I haven't heard about the money though cheesy[/quote]
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Androidlic: 1:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
hmmmm
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by coputa(m): 1:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
packman:

Did not say so...

Buh entitlement causes greed....

They are never satisfied... They always on the matter of help. Me.. Help me...

Please don't get me wrong here
That's the norm in Africa,if you wanna change it,you will become a loner and an enemy,so,we gonna do it,the family owns you,
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by hollywater: 1:38pm On Jun 05, 2020
DropsMic:
My dad used 10 years to build a bungalow in his village.

His brothers really dealt with him.

One day he confided in me that the money he spent building the bungalow in the village could build a five storey building in Abuja town.
Your dad is saying the truth.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by LordOfTheGame: 1:38pm On Jun 05, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Entrusting ur building construction to an engineer is even far better than relatives. I will never do that mistake.

Some building engineers are worst than an average family members. I know what I'm talking about. Nobody is perfect so pray to fall into the right hand.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 05, 2020
If abroad, build only whilst you are home. Before returning abroad use up all remaining materials eg. blocks, cement etc pay workers and pause construction until your next planned visit home;
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by coputa(m): 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
jieta:
its not funny put your self in the guys shoe and you will be amaze how it look like. Pls snitch on the girl tell the guy what is happening.
no,let them be,let nature take it course,
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by olabanjijohn(m): 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
*FOR SALE DIRECT BRIEF*

Jetobless Properties.

1. A Vacant Possession of 4Bedroom Fully Detached Bungalow on 520 Sqm2 with Deed of Assignment at *Akinwunmi Street, New Oko Oba, Agege.* #25million
2. A Tastefully Finished 2 nos of 5Bedroom Duplex with Inbuilt BQ Title R/C at *Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja* #120million Each
3. A Tastefully Finished Two Block of 12 nos of 3Bedroom Luxury Flats with BQ Title CofO at *Ikeja GRA, Lagos State* #85million Per Flat
4. Office Complex with Lock Up Shops on 850 Sqm2 with CofO along *Ijaiye Road, Ogba* #200million
5. A Vacant Possession Two Bays Warehouses with Administrative Offices on 2,700 Sqm2 with CofO at *Obadeyi Ajala Bus Stop along Lagos Abeokuta Express, Way Lagos State* #270million
6. A Prime Fenced Land on 3,907.34 Sqm2 with CofO Beside *General Hospital Igando, along Lasu / Igando Road, Lagos State* #150million
7. A Prime Bare Land on 10,000 Sqm2 with CofO at *Orile Igamu along Lagos / Badagry Express Way, Lagos State* #750million
8. A Prime Fenced Land on 8.5 Acres with CofO Located Off *New Ife Road, Ibadan Oyo State* #400million
9. A Tastefully Finished and Furniture 5Bedroom Detached House with BQ on 380 Sqm2 and CofO at *Osapa London, Lekki Lagos State* #95million
Contact us 08062711919. 0808304551. 08077029669
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by smeag0l(m): 1:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
This brings me to my second point on this same thread- Northerners are very much more trustworthythan southerners when it comes to pecuniary issues. You can entrust a friend that's a northerner with your wealth and have some sense of comfort but same cannot be said about our southerners. This is , however, not a generalisation as there are southerners that are trustworthy and northerners that are vile.
gbagyiza:

I was in my bedroom reading your comment and I can't stop laughing. This guy don enter one chance. If his blood brothers can do this to him, then, who else can he trust. I am from the North but I work in south west, I am currently undergoing a house building project, from the purchase of the land n up to the current state of the project, I only send money to my brother n dad for the project n they have honestly executed the project well. The last time I visited home n was taken to the site of the project, which was in plastering stage, I was impressed. It has to do with the family. My family members r well discipline, humble, trustworthy n couple with their Christian background, they r not the desperate type. So, we always have confidence in each other. If an outsider will do that fine but for a blood family member, it's too bad.

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 05, 2020
Officialgarri:
Same thing is happening to a guy. He keeps sending money to his family to build a house for him but the project was so slow compared to the amount he has been sending.

Save a fellow man from leeches.

Look for way to get hold of his contact and let him know what's happening pls. I'm begging you. You don't know how that guy is suffering to make that money.
U don't know where u will find yourself tomorrow and heaven help you if people leech off your sweat. Free money is sweet cos it's not from our pocket yet.
Be a man and do the right thing.
U will not know the type of door u are opening for yourself by doing the right thing. Just do it anonymously.

1 Like

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by sketcherJ(m): 1:47pm On Jun 05, 2020
olisaEze:
To avoid these type of stories that touch from family members, that is how one young dude resident in Belgium was murdered by his building contractor, an electrician in asaba, delta state.
The wicked fellow had been sending him pics of another person’s building all along and ripping him off of d moni being sent to him. Only for the Belgian dude to show up unannounced and was murdered and buried with a bean sack in a shallow grave by this heartless individual to cover his crime.
The most annoying thing there is that after all the public outcry and media hype by the then commissioner of police, this evil murderer is out of jail now after spending a little over a year in police detention even with his video confession as evidence.
That my pipo is the sorry state of justice in Nigeria! Just don’t let anyone kill u for nothing because nothing will happen as long as the murderer can afford to pay his way out!
Tell ur client to be grateful for life at least and either forgive and move on or prosecute the bloody ingrate now that she can garner public sympathy!
Na daylight dem dey take pursue black goat enter house o! undecided
hi, please can u get me a link to this Belgian story
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by Tego(m): 1:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
SJ ARCHITECTS

Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by smeag0l(m): 1:57pm On Jun 05, 2020
Siblings do.
Lovelyn451:
Chai, the only people that can do this are uncles and Aunties..wicked people
I doubt any sibling will do this to their blood
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by olisaEze(m): 2:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
sketcherJ:
hi, please can u get me a link to this Belgian story

You’ll need to search google & Facebook for the story, happened over three years ago there in asaba. Dunno if it was posted in NL, but someone showed me his video confession and pointed him out to me last time I was in the town early last year. I still can’t get over how low we have sunk in this country.
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by thundafire: 2:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Officialgarri:

u are a bad friend,if wat u said is true. Don't forget karma will remain a bitch
Re: Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience? by doggedfighter(f): 2:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
praiseneo:
okija
Where in Onitsha is the plot located?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The History Of Stamped Concrete / Buy Lands At Our Planned Estate "Royal Palm Estates" Ugwuomu Nike, Enugu / How Many Bedroooms Can Fit In A Half Plot Of Land....lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.