Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold (6364 Views)

Photos Of The Man Killed At Onitsha Main Market / Photos Of The Man Who Killed His Girlfriend In Oshodi, Lagos / "Just Saw The Man That Raped Me After Many Years" - Heartbroken Nigerian Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
Yoshie Shiratori (白鳥 由栄, Shiratori Yoshie, July 31, 1907 – February 24, 1979) was a Japanese national born in Aomori Prefecture. His family name Shiratori means "swan" in Japanese.[1] Shiratori, who became an anti-hero in Japanese culture, is famous for having escaped from prison four times.[2] He was first imprisoned after being forced to admit to a murder he did not commit. He could pick locks, scale walls, break handcuffs and dislocate his joints at will. His most infamous escape, consisted of him using miso soup to rust the bolts on his window bars and handcuffs to escape

Akira Yoshimura published a novel Hagoku based on him. A memorial to Shiratori is in the Abashiri Prison Museum.

There are numerous takes involving his escapes. The information has been documented sometimes and sometimes it has been folkloric at most.

He is most famous for his Miso soup prison break from Abashiri Prison, where he dabbed Miso soup upon his iron handcuffs, legcuffs, and the small iron window in his cell. After a while, the iron rusted and came off. After that, he slid through the window and escaped from the prison cell.

2 Likes

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
BASICS
QUICK FACTS
Intro Japanese escape artist
Crime Murder
From Japan
Type Murderer
Birth 1907, Aomori Prefecture, Japan
Death 1979 (aged 72 years)
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 5:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
The Lockpicker
No other man in history has shown such disdain for incarceration than Yoshie Shiratori, who was tagged as “the man that no prison could hold.” Yoshie was initially accused of murder and robbery and was sentenced to Aomori prison. Three years later, he picked the lock of his handcuffs with a short wire he found from a wooden bathing bucket.

Police recaptured him after three days and he was sentenced to life in prison for escaping and for supposedly stealing supplies from a hospital. He was eventually transferred to Akita prison in 1942.

At Akita prison, Yoshie managed to escape by somehow climbing the impossible smooth walls of his cell to reach the air vent. He would climb up and down every night and eventually unhinged the vent to extricate himself.

Perhaps he was exhausted from all the running and hiding, he decided to go to the home of a police officer, the only person who had shown any benevolence towards him from his previous prison in Aomori. However, this officer eventually handed Yoshie over to the authorities, and he vowed to never place his trust in another police officer ever again

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 5:59pm On Jun 05, 2020
The Miso Soup Act
Yoshie was transferred for the second time to Abashiri Prison, which was located in a remote locale in Northern Hokkaido. Abashiri was no regular penal colony. It was reserved for the worst kinds of criminals in Japan.

Yoshie was transferred here because he had already escaped two times, and the police wanted him to stay put. As luck would have it (for Yoshie), he managed to eventually escape Abashiri. The Abashiri Prison Museum even has a figure dedicated to Yoshie as he escaped his cell wearing nothing but his underwear.

How did Yoshie do it this time? The man had an endless pool of ingenuity, to be honest. Each morning, he would spit miso soup on the doorframe of his cell. The salts and moisture eventually corroded and weakened the door frame.

When the wartime blackout of August 26, 1944 occurred Yoshie dislocated his shoulders and squeezed himself out of the small space on the metal frame where the guards would slide in his food. Once again, Yoshie’s escape was publicized, and made the headlines of several newspapers in the Hokkaido Shimbun.

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:01pm On Jun 05, 2020
Real prison
Re-enacted way he escaped

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
The Final Bid For Freedom
Yoshie was once again tried for escaping, and he was sentenced to death by the Sapporo District Court. Additionally, Yoshie was assigned six armed guards, and he was under surveillance, 24 hours per day.

At the Sapporo prison, he was incarcerated in a specially made cell that was designed to prevent him from escaping through the air vent in the ceiling. This would be the largest defect in the setup because too much attention to the ceiling meant the floor of the cell was more or less ignored.

The prison guards at Sapporo had so much faith in the newly renovated cell that they no longer bothered to handcuff their prisoner. This would be mistake number two.

While it was true that Yoshie had aged and was fatigued from being a prisoner and from constantly escaping, there was one thing that still fueled his drive: desperation. While awaiting execution in 1947, Yoshie made his final bid for freedom by unlocking the bolts that held together the cell’s wooden floorboards. He used a bowl used for food to dig his way out of prison.

After a year of liberty, it was said that Yoshie was offered a cigarette by a police officer. Moved by the kindness of the police officer, Yoshie again opened up to the officer he was the Shiratori that had escaped previously
He admitted that he was an escaped convict. He was tried once again by the High Court of Sapporo. They noted that in all his four escapes, he did not perform bodily harm to any of the guards, despite the fact that abuse by guards was rampant in all the prisons.

The High Court of Sapporo decided to revoke the previous decision of the death penalty. Instead, he was given a final sentence of 20 years in prison. Yoshie requested that he be imprisoned in Tokyo, which the court granted. He spent his days in Fuchu Prison until 1961 when he was given parole. He traveled to the Aomori Prefectures more than a decade later to reunite with his daughter so that he could tell her his life story. Yoshie lived for another decade after that, doing odd jobs to survive. He eventually succumbed to a heart attack in 1979. A woman who had previously cared for him also took care of his ashes after his death.

He will not only be remembered as the most skillfully gifted escapist but his good heart .

2 Likes

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
Shiratori

NB - if you have an interesting historical figure you want me to write about do let me know in the comments

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Interesting read wink thanks op

2 Likes

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Holamilekan97(m): 6:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
Interesting cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
SexyProphet:
Interesting read wink thanks op
thank you for been amazing,♥️♥️

2 Likes

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
TheSourcerer:
thank you for been amazing,♥️♥️
you're welcome ✔
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by SHEAU(m): 6:13pm On Jun 05, 2020
Genius

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:16pm On Jun 05, 2020
SHEAU:
Genius
That very Word Genius!
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by somehow: 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2020
nice one
can you write about king jaja of opobo?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by StubbornGENIUS: 6:22pm On Jun 05, 2020
Nice read.Thanks for sharing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:23pm On Jun 05, 2020
somehow:
nice one

can you write about king jaja of opobo?
I will take this to consideration , thank you , follow me and I'll follow you right back

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Chidexter(m): 6:27pm On Jun 05, 2020
Just reading this alone, I've escaped from poverty
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Nice read.Thanks for sharing
you're a Genius of course you find it interesting ♥️♥️, sad it's not even on the new topics or trending of Nairaland , just can be seen by followers and guest I'm beginning to believe there's a reason more of sexaul contents hits fp and trending more than actual News/Documentaries , I believe ithae to do with paid adverts Sorta. ?
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2020
Chidexter:
Just reading this alone, I've escaped from poverty
like Shiratori you can escape anything !
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Mayng01(m): 6:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Lovely
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by StubbornGENIUS: 6:37pm On Jun 05, 2020
TheSourcerer:
you're a Genius of course you find it interesting ♥️♥️, sad it's not even on the new topics or trending of Nairaland , just can be seen by followers and guest I'm beginning to believe there's a reason more of sexaul contents hits fp and trending more than actual News/Documentaries , I believe ithae to do with paid adverts Sorta. ?
Well I don't know how mods select posts that hit fp,but it's certain that no educative or historical posts such as yours have made fp in a very long time.Maybe it may really have to do with paid adverts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Holamilekan97(m): 6:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
Can you write about Arnold Paole and Mr. Zedzed?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by somehow: 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2020
TheSourcerer:
I will take this to consideration , thank you , follow me and I'll follow you right back

cool
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by UndauntedYOCA(f): 9:56pm On Jun 05, 2020
This is nicely written and a well researched one.
I one watched something about him on YouTube. Do keep this up.
Oh, to everyone, the OP has been banned again ( I wonder what he ever did to deserve it), however, he'll be back tonight to give us something interesting.
BTW, he'll be opening a YouTube channel soon, once he does, please like the videos, share and subscribe to his channel. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by dododawa1: 10:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
Oldies days of nairaland
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by peacefull(f): 9:51am On Jun 06, 2020
Wow!
I didn't know this story.

Thank you for sharing this!
I appreciate you!!

Abe Sada incident is very famous in Japan.
Maybe young generation don't know.
But very famous.
If you had time or interest about that, Please check it smiley
But little bit scary embarassed

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by XXLMANDIGO: 10:25am On Jun 06, 2020
Beautiful story. Very engaging smiley

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by FortuneDeGreat(m): 10:48am On Jun 06, 2020
TheSourcerer:
Shiratori

NB - if you have an interesting historical figure you want me to write about do let me know in the comments
Please write about seven seven, real name: Okonkwo Asaa, a late music legend. Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 11:13am On Jun 06, 2020
FortuneDeGreat:
Please write about seven seven, real name: Okonkwo Asaa, a late music legend. Thanks.
seen , reading about him already to make a write-up and get live photos

1 Like

Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by TheSourcerer: 11:19am On Jun 06, 2020
peacefull:
Wow!
I didn't know this story.

Thank you for sharing this!
I appreciate you!!

Abe Sada incident is very famous in Japan.
Maybe young generation don't know.
But very famous.
If you had time or interest about that, Please check it smiley
But little bit scary embarassed
and you are wonderful ♥️♥️

I love my stories Scary , Abe Sada would definitely be one of interest , this evening .
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by FortuneDeGreat(m): 11:28am On Jun 06, 2020
TheSourcerer:
seen , reading about him already to make a write-up and get live photos
Thanks.
Re: Shiratori The Man No Prison Could Hold by Bojack(m): 11:32am On Jun 06, 2020
Wow!, good one Op

Front page material.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Series Of Killing Going On In The East..pictures!!..Viewers discretion! / Nigerian Homosexual Boasting About His Gay Sex / Hitmen Disguised As Doctor, Cop To Assassinate Patient In Ecuador Hospital(Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.