Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. (48821 Views)

"My Husband Wants To Kill Me" - Nigerian Woman Cries Out For Help / Divorce: My Husband Wants To Kill Me With Too Much Sex, Woman Tells Court / My Sister's Husband Wants To Sleep With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by diziki: 1:17pm On Jun 06, 2020
UzorChinonso:
Good day Nairalanders, I have been married for just a year now and it has not been easy here! My Husband wants to know every thing about my finance. He has disturbed me to know how much is my salary worth of.

I have always denied him of the fact, what I know is that I used my money to refurbish our flat, got some new things to change the outlook of the place....

But I am not really finding it funny any longer. As we speak, he collected my ATM card since last two weeks, said I must tell him the pin or I should forget having it back. I went to my bank, told them that I lost the card and they changed it for me last Friday and he collected it again said it's either I tell him the pin or he will do something funny ...

I don't know what funny thing he's gonna do but I am worried! Pls is this how marriage is?
He claims to own me and own my salary! Is it fair? This marriage is too early instead I would have quit and I am pregnant at the moment!
What do I do? I don't want anybody to know anything about my finances including him till I have my baby whom my spirit accepted that I should make my next of kin.

What do I do ?

The man is running mad. This is no longer marriage.

Granted a couple should be honest with each other but in some cases like this where a partner threatens to hurt another over such personal issues calls for divorce cos its assumed he married you because of your money.

It's not as if you are not contributing to family upkeep.

Sister, your safety is not guaranteed.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by LilMissFavvy(f): 1:17pm On Jun 06, 2020
It is the duty of a man to provide for the home, while you as a wife contributes, so why is your husband after your money? Do you not help out financially to support the home in your own little ways? If you earn more than your husband, and you open up about your salary, make him understand that you have future plans for your money, so that he will not dump his financial responsibilities on you, while he squanders his own on women/relatives. You can tell him your salary, only if he has told you his own. Assist the home in your own little ways, open a new account if you think he will be taking your money from you.it is possible to operate an account without ATM card.

3 Likes

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by intruder15(m): 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2020
chiddyok:
And so we marry people we don’t trust with our finances because we must marry. And you need to see where married women are putting down unmarried ones, as if they were born married.
Madam, cancel your atm card and don’t bother with a new one. Bring one or two relatives around or let him know you are responsible for them. Inflate what you spend on them and save the rest in another account. And think very hard of the future of your marriage. I don’t know how you people share bed with someone you can’t share your purse with.
And nobody should quote me and ask me if I’m married and when I marry I’ll understand. I’m not, because I didn’t ask anyone to feed me so I can’t feed anyone’s son.

U valid

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by diziki: 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2020
UzorChinonso:
Good day Nairalanders, I have been married for just a year now and it has not been easy here! My Husband wants to know every thing about my finance. He has disturbed me to know how much is my salary worth of.

I have always denied him of the fact, what I know is that I used my money to refurbish our flat, got some new things to change the outlook of the place....

But I am not really finding it funny any longer. As we speak, he collected my ATM card since last two weeks, said I must tell him the pin or I should forget having it back. I went to my bank, told them that I lost the card and they changed it for me last Friday and he collected it again said it's either I tell him the pin or he will do something funny ...

I don't know what funny thing he's gonna do but I am worried! Pls is this how marriage is?
He claims to own me and own my salary! Is it fair? This marriage is too early instead I would have quit and I am pregnant at the moment!
What do I do? I don't want anybody to know anything about my finances including him till I have my baby whom my spirit accepted that I should make my next of kin.

What do I do ?

Consult a lawyer or welfare Union. Leave that house for now!

Your family should be aware.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Xscape1993(m): 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2020
UzorChinonso:

What do I do ?
Is he not your husband? There is a total lack of trust & sincere in this marriage. Though I don't know how he handles finances, but there should be a financial understanding between the two of you.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by MissEfe(f): 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2020
Inspectorsuga22:

My dear u have said it all, my wife have first-hand access to my earnings n properties n vice versa. How then do they plan to make their lives better wen they don't even know each others financial capabilities? So people think marriage is all Abt having children or answering wife/husband.
Wen u look at this lady's write-up, u will see a very wrong marital foundation that should be urgently corrected if ever they wish to succeed in that marriage that is barely one year... Hmm

Marriage is not easy, take your time learn from people that are already there before jumping into it...
Some people are getting into marriage to spite their ex or because of peer pressure, or for the sake of the Mr/Mrs title. That's why most of this issue's comes up because they didn't set the right foundation, as u clearly stated above.
Marriage is for the both parties coming together to build their future together, to help each other grow for the betterment of the future..

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by goldtosure: 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2020
This is all shades of wrong! Why will a man be after his woman's money by asking for her card pin or how much she earns? If a wife wants to divulge such information to her husband no problem and if she wants to do otherwise why not. His actions speaks volume, there is something fishy about it. OP if you love yourself and your unborn baby refuse to succumb, report him to someone he respect and if possible avoid having ATM on the account where you have the larger part of your money so that if his trouble becomes too much you can give him the pin to the account where you have small 'change'. Some marriages sef. It's well.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by SpicyMimi(f): 1:21pm On Jun 06, 2020
Kingininge:

God bless you and yours
Amennn!!!! Thank you smiley
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Maobichek: 1:21pm On Jun 06, 2020
StubbornGENIUS:
Why are many guys chasing clout these day?wetin una gain?
To be frank with you, every man must be responsible and provide for his family but as a married woman, your husband should know everything about your finances. Any woman who keeps secret in her marriage is not qualify to be a wife. I personally don't keep secrets with my wife and I will be unhappy if she keeps secrets for any reason.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by PROPHETmichael: 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2020
I'm sure you know how much your husband earns but you don't want him to know how much you earned...what a joke. Simple matter made complicated by you coz you don't trust him with your finances. I'm sure there are other info you are hiding from that man.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by diziki: 1:22pm On Jun 06, 2020
FromZeroToHero:
It's good to discuss issues of finance (very important) during courtship to avoid situations like this.
I think both of you still have trust issues (then why did you get married) I guess he's just insecure, it's something you both can sit down and talk about, if he insists give him the pin n watch what he does with it before you conclude on ur next line of action.
Don't allow money matter to end ur marriage!!

Watch him empty the account?

Didn't you see where he said he owned her and her money?

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by peculiar2021(m): 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2020
The part where he said he owns you any your salary cracked me up grin grin
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Miarose: 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2020
@OP,

Your behavior is that of a woman who does not trust her husband.
Do you feel he is not trustworthy? Has he given you reason to feel this way or you came into the marriage with your preconceived ideas?
If he has given you reason, then hold on to your money. It is your safety.
If he has not, then you are not fair to him. everyone deserves a chance to prove him or herself trustworthy.
secondly, I suggest an honest self assessment of your behavior .. are you led by selfishness or self preservation? selfishness in that you believe the man should run the home alone or self-preservation ; wanting to provide safety for yourself in case the man misbehaves?
these will help you get to the root cause and make better decisions for your marriage and your own self.
finally, is your husband financially responsible? are his decisions all-inclusive? is he open to you in his dealings? if so, you have to review your position on this matter for a happier marriage.
On a personal note, i have concerns about him seizing your card. There are two levels this issue.
1. wanting to know your salary.
2. wanting to control your finances. Number 2 is a NONONO on all fronts. dont let nobody tell you otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by ngwababe(f): 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2020
Open another account nne, no collect ATM again.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:25pm On Jun 06, 2020
dingbang:
I just wonder how two people will live as husband and wife and yet...act like people that aren't married.

Most couples aren't in love, they're just together to have children, imagine this mumu shameless thing showing the world how she and her husband have no bond
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by henrybirthright(m): 1:26pm On Jun 06, 2020
"I don't want anybody to know anything about my finances including him till I have my baby whom my spirit accepted that I should make my next of kin"[i][/i] So your Spirit doesn't even accept your own husband, the would be father of your child? Why did you then marry him?

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by peculiar2021(m): 1:27pm On Jun 06, 2020
By the way, why should a man be so serious about what's in his wife bank account.. See wetin Covid 19 don cause nw grin

2 Likes

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by tbaby4u(f): 1:28pm On Jun 06, 2020
dalass:
Your husband obviously married you for your buoyant financial status... grin

Gone are the days when men married women for love. Now no man wants liability but someone they can control with her finances (fat bank account)....

You demonstrated the extent of your worth by that refurbishment... Now, you can't hide it... Don't give him any pin no oh... And don't make him your next of kin... You married a gold digger...

Gently but firmly talk to him so that he can have a foggy idea on what you earn. Not exact amount.. ...But if he doesn't hide anything from you, maybe you're the one with trust issues.... Maybe once bitten twice shy

Don't escalate the matter, use wisdom oh grin

BEST advise so far. OP's husband is a gold digger. He married her because she is a career lady earning big and not for love. Op, pls I beg u,NEVER RELEASE YOUR PIN TO HIM OR U REGRET IT. Any man who puts his eyes on his wife 's money is a gold digger. A woman is to earn her money to support her family willingly and Op has done that by refurbishing his flat for him. How else can a woman help her husband? And she is also paying some other bills too. So, d man should go n hustle for his own money. YOUR WIFE'S MONEY IS NOT YOURS MR GOLDDIGGER. SHE CAN ONLY USE PARR OF HER SALARY TO HELP PAY SOME BILLS IN D HOME, BUY THINGS FOR YOUR CHILDREN, BUY HER OWN PERSONAL THINGS N ALSO SEND SOME MONEY TO HER PARENTS WHO SPONSORED HER ALL TRU D UNIVERSITY. HER PARENTS THAT INVESTED SO MUCH ON HER, ONLY FOR U MR GOLD DIGGER TO COME FROM NOWHERE, PAY PEANUT AS BRIDE PRICE ONLY N SUDDENLY THINK U OWE HER. Yes, u may owe her by marriage but pls, remove your eyes from her money. Go and hustle as a man. What makes a real man is d responsibilities he shoulders not some ENTITILED MENTALITY KIND OF MEN WHO ARE LAZY. WHO ONLY THINKS D DICK DEY CARRY UNDER IS WHAT MAKES THEM A MAN, WHO ALSO THINKS THAT D ONLY WAY THEY WILL MAKE IT IN LIFE IS TO TARGET RICH CAREER LADIES TO MARRY WHICH HE DID BUT NOW DISAPPOINTED THAT THE REASON HE MARRIED U IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE. LAZY ENTITILED GUYS EVERYWHERE. LADIES, BEWARE OF USELESS ENTITILED MEN, ALL THEY WANT IS A WOMAN THAT WILL SHOULDER THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, BLEEP FOR FREE AND STILL CHASE AFTER OTHER GIRLS WITH THEIR MUGU'S MONEY.

OP, pls do not keep quiet on this issue, it is very obvious now that he married u because of your career n money n he is disappointed because u are smart too. Pls. Involve your family members because even your parents that sacrificed all their money to train u tru school that made u who u are today are not after your money. A man comes from nowhere n suddenly feels like a king, he feels entitled. For him to even seize your Atm card n pin shows he is a complete gold digger n I'm sure he is not working or does not have a good job. Na their way be dat. Ladies, beware of Gold diggers n entitled guys. They r everywhere, infact they are so much here on nairaland, jobless lazy youths looking for ladies to scam all in d name of relationship. Ladies, watch how they will attack my post now. I know they will attack me n I don't give a damn! Lazy youths!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by trutht828: 1:29pm On Jun 06, 2020
aeion:
He doesn't have the right to take your ATM card away from you nor demand your PIN. If he needs money, I'm sure he knows how to ask but forcefully having direct access to your money at his choosing should be a no-no. If he's threatening you over this, tell your family and get yourself and the baby in your belly to a safe place, but do not give him that PIN. A man who behaves like this is up to no good and can't be trusted.

These are the words of a controlling, abusive man. He does not own you, neither does he own your salary.

The fact that a man.pays dowry on your head means that he owns you. Stop being blinded.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Judybash93(m): 1:31pm On Jun 06, 2020
Talkingoil:

It's not by force alright, but she is his wife, she probably knows how much he earns, so why should she have difficulty in revealing her salary to her husband, it shows secrecy and lack of submission and I tell you, if she is not wise in handling this, it could cause problems in her home
I agree with you. I just don't think it's right for the husband to force her into submission. He could try to pet her into revealing it not forcing and threatening her

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by ajbf: 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
solok:
please know and be reminded that next of kin is not same as beneficiary in case of death intestate......the former is close relation to be contacted in case of emergency while the latter is the beneficiary of estate (or specifically assigned portion of it) in event of death.
The fools don't know that when one partner of a legally married couple dies, the other partner is recognized by law than children, siblings or even parents. If the person should die intestate, the most qualified to take over the properties is the spouse.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by madridsta007(m): 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
UzorChinonso:

What do I do ?

You lots go into marriage without understanding it at all.
The two become one. Do you know what that really means?
You become one in everything. You cannot choose what you become "one" in. You cannot cheerypick. You should know what he earns. He should know what he earns. There should be no individuality when it comes to marriage. That is why it is ONE. I am sure you married in a church and you were told this.
People, when you are not ready for this, it is preferable, much, much preferable to not get married. It is simple.

Marriage does not contain secrets. Once it does and when you, be sure that it is heading for the rocks, sooner rather than later.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by tbaby4u(f): 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
tbaby4u:

BEST advise so far. OP's husband is a gold digger. He married her because she is a career lady earning big and not for love. Op, pls I beg u,NEVER RELEASE YOUR PIN TO HIM OR U REGRET IT. Any man who puts his eyes on his wife 's money is a gold digger. A woman is to earn her money to support her family willingly and Op has done that by refurbishing his flat for him. How else can a woman help her husband? And she is also paying some other bills too. So, d man should go n hustle for his own money. YOUR WIFE'S MONEY IS NOT YOURS MR GOLDDIGGER. SHE CAN ONLY USE PARR OF HER SALARY TO HELP PAY SOME BILLS IN D HOME, BUY THINGS FOR YOUR CHILDREN, BUY HER OWN PERSONAL THINGS N ALSO SEND SOME MONEY TO HER PARENTS WHO SPONSORED HER ALL TRU D UNIVERSITY. HER PARENTS THAT INVESTED SO MUCH ON HER, ONLY FOR U MR GOLD DIGGER TO COME FROM NOWHERE, PAY PEANUT AS BRIDE PRICE ONLY N SUDDENLY THINK U OWE HER. Yes, u may owe her by marriage but pls, remove your eyes from her money. Go and hustle as a man. What makes a real man is d responsibilities he shoulders not some ENTITILED MENTALITY KIND OF MEN WHO ARE LAZY. WHO ONLY THINKS D DICK DEY CARRY UNDER IS WHAT MAKES THEM A MAN, WHO ALSO THINKS THAT D ONLY WAY THEY WILL MAKE IT IN LIFE IS TO TARGET RICH CAREER LADIES TO MARRY WHICH HE DID BUT NOW DISAPPOINTED THAT THE REASON HE MARRIED U IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE. LAZY ENTITILED GUYS EVERYWHERE. LADIES, BEWARE OF USELESS ENTITILED MEN, ALL THEY WANT IS A WOMAN THAT WILL SHOULDER THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, BLEEP FOR FREE AND STILL CHASE AFTER OTHER GIRLS WITH THEIR MUGU'S MONEY.

OP, pls do not keep quiet on this issue, it is very obvious now that he married u because of your career n money n he is disappointed because u are smart too. Pls. Involve your family members because even your parents that sacrificed all their money to train u tru school that made u who u are today are not after your money. A man comes from nowhere n suddenly feels like a king, he feels entitled. For him to even seize your Atm card n pin shows he is a complete gold digger n I'm sure he is not working or does not have a good job. Na their way be dat. Ladies, beware of Gold diggers n entitled guys. They r everywhere, infact they are so much here on nairaland, jobless lazy youths looking for ladies to scam all in d name of relationship. Ladies, watch how they will attack my post now. I know they will attack me n I don't give a damn! Lazy youths!

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Corporate2020: 1:32pm On Jun 06, 2020
UzorChinonso:

What do I do ?

Your baby is gonna be your next of kin but you gonna be your husband's next of kin. You see this Slave mentality that the husband works all his life to serve you while you keep your own money to yourself will not work in Africa.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by mechanics(m): 1:33pm On Jun 06, 2020
There should openness in marriage, if he want to know your bank account details, no problem, you can tell him.
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Judybash93(m): 1:33pm On Jun 06, 2020
trutht828:

The fact that a man.pays dowry on your head means that he owns you. Stop being blinded.

Then let's stop slave trade
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Obidiugwu: 1:33pm On Jun 06, 2020
You made him to use force because of trust issues,you better open up to him to avoid regretting your action. If you want your marriage to last,NO SECRET! Dm us for your different types of high quality male/female Fabrics ,Curtains and beddings at affordable prices. Zero Seven Zero Five Two One One Three Four Zero Five
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 06, 2020
There is nothing wrong in him knowing your finances and how much you earn. Nothing is wrong with that. It's just that the way he has gone about it by seizing your ATM cards is not the right way (though I feel he has been pushed to do that because of your insistence of not telling him).

If he wants to know your finances, tell him. But he has no right whatsoever to your money.

Only a wise, intelligent and mature man knows how to get money from his wife without any rancour and issuing threats or statements like he owns you and your is not one of such ways

1 Like

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by Ofadaman(m): 1:34pm On Jun 06, 2020
In all my years of looking at completed forms, the men often uses their wives names as next of kin, but the wives mostly use their brothers or children's name as next of kin.

I see nothing wrong in telling him how much you earn, the money he brings home is used by the house, but your money is your money, and then how do you people plan if you don't know your collective incomes?
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by IamgratefulLord(f): 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
My husband knows about everything penny I make and receive as gifts. He doesn't always tell me about his. Most times he deletes his alert from his phone, inorder not for me to know the transaction. Men are all the same smiley angry
Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by BlackSwan: 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2020
tbaby4u:

This is the best post on this thread, men these days are just lazy and gold diggers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. by donyfrank: 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2020
As for me, my wife knows in and out.
Even when I got increase she know.
But the first month I got the increment, I didn't tell her that, but I used the added money and got her an expensive gift.

Then, the next month I told her that they have started paying me the new salary.

Please, to avoid problem in marriage, be truthful to yourselves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Who Slapped Her Mother, Sent Back To Nigeria. See Reactions / See What A Madam Did To A Boy In Ilorin For Allegedly Stealing Her N500(pic) / I'm Tired Of My Marriage!!! Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.