Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,594 members, 7,861,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:48 PM

Today In History: Battle Of Normandy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today In History: Battle Of Normandy (443 Views)

President Buhari In His Humble Living Room Today In Daura / Group Award Kwara Governor As Worst In History / Pictures From Sowore's Party Declaration Today In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by VBCampaign: 9:47pm On Jun 06, 2020
D-Day: On Wars and Legacies

By: Deji Yesufu

Yesterday I spent time to discuss with a friend on why I could not join the “Black Lives Matter” campaign. I said, among other things, that I personally owe the Western World a great deal of what I am today. Particularly my religion and my education. It might seem a light thing to others, but I’m thankful that I can reason deep enough to arrive at that conclusion. Those who have suffered racism have a right to their views but they cannot impose those views on the rest of us.

One other thing I mentioned to this person is the blessing of legacies. I understand that a lot of things that make the American person, or most people from the West, what they are is something called Old Money. It is basically inheritance from parents and grandparents, which still translates to raw cash today for many of these people. So when a Nigerian goes to the USA, for example, he would take a while to break into wealth; unlike his white counterpart who may have a wealthy legacy to rely on. That, unfortunately, is half of the story. The other half is what I’m about to tell you now.

Friends, today in history is what is famously called D-Day. Kindly do a Google search and learn more about this day. Many people use the phrase “D-Day” but don’t know where it came from. Let me simply give a quick synopsis on the subject but I’ll hope you do your own research.

In 1939, war broke out in Europe. Germany had been defeated in the first world war (1914-1918) and where heavily fined by the victors. In between the first and second world wars, Hitler rose to power in Germany. Hitler led a party called the Third Reich or the Nazis. While paying off Germany’s fines, Hitler underwent a heavy militarization of Germany. He also heavily indoctrinated his people, preparing then for war. At the slightest provocation, Germany invaded Eastern Europe and war began. Quickly he overran most of Europe, including France.

England came under heavy bombardment and it was becoming obvious that they needed help. They reached out to the United States but the US was very reluctant to join the war. One of the reasons was that the US was a conglomerate of European citizens. They could not support one country against another. But when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, the USA entered the war the very next day. The war tore on. Casualties were mounting on both sides. Then the idea of invading Western Germany through Normandy, France, was broached.

D-Day was June 6, 1944. Thousands of American, British and Canadian (Allies) soldiers invaded Normandy through the beach. The Germans knew they were coming so they waited for them. The Allies sent air bombardments ahead to clear the way. After heavy firing, it was believed that Germans were heavily weakened. They were wrong.

Then came the Allied soldiers on 5 thousands ships. The first set of troops that landed on the shore were wasted by the Germans. In spite of it, the Allies kept arriving with more and more troops. Many were killed but the few number that survived, overran the Germans soldiers and won the battle of Normandy. The Allies used this great advantage to recover France and entered Germany from the west. While the Soviet entered from the East. On September, 1945 the war was over. The battle of Normandy is credited as one of the factors that ended the war.

So when we talk about the legacy the white leaves for his children, that legacy is not just money but blood of thousands of men, mostly teenagers, who were killed at these wars. This legacy was purchased with blood and earned freedom and peace for latter generations.

If your children will know peace and prosperity, someone will have to buy it for them. When Africans rush to the West for a better life, they forget that this is how these people obtained that life. They graciously share that life with you and you prosper. And then at a slight provocation, you shout racism.

Nigeria and Africa as a whole is what she is because we received very little worthwhile legacies from our fathers.

Source: https://textandpublishing.com/d-day-on-wars-and-legacies/

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by allthingsgood: 10:07pm On Jun 06, 2020
I think the writer of this piece of crap is either suffering from an acute case colonized mentality or simply brainwashed by some sinister white group

First of all that legacy or old money u talking about is less than 1% of the white western world. And if the 1% legacy got their wealth either on the backs of slaves or stolen from africe. So quit the bullshit. 90% of the West don't have any mumu legacy.

If u think they will love u more or see u better as a human being just because u turned your back on your fellow black struggle then u must be high on pawpaw leaves. To the white supremacists redneck u are nothing but a gorilla or chimp. Less than human

Finally, if u want to talk of wealth, Africa remains the richest continent in terms of natural resources, which obviously Trump's a god-damned phantom legacy. The richest man who ever lived in this planet was from West Africa. Oldest civilization also from africa. Largest natural resources also africa. So do your research and stop swallowing the useless lies the West feeds u.

3 Likes

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by gykes(m): 10:09pm On Jun 06, 2020
A very valid point and yet only one black man in history was willing to make sacrifice and he did make it. He is Nelson Mandela.
Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by Freestainworld(m): 10:56pm On Jun 06, 2020
point of correction, they didn't share any life and prosperity to any African, they took your people slaves, looted Africa to enriched and build their countries? is that the freedom and prosperity you are talking about? those days hotel folks own Africans alot, and must pay dearly for their injustice to the black man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by HappyPagan: 11:14pm On Jun 06, 2020
Freestainworld:
point of correction, they didn't share any life and prosperity to any African, they took your people slaves, looted Africa to enriched and build their countries? is that the freedom and prosperity you are talking about? those days hotel folks own Africans alot, and must pay dearly for their injustice to the black man.
He already mentioned he is grateful for his religion. He is a mentally colonized who believes salvation comes from the West.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by joyandfaith: 3:41am On Jun 07, 2020
Freestainworld:

Blacks sold blacks into slavery. No resistance against slavery. we did not fight for independent. lives were lost during America war of independence.
Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by wirinet(m): 3:56am On Jun 07, 2020
HappyPagan:

He already mentioned he is grateful for his religion. He is a mentally colonized who believes salvation comes from the West.
Imagine, being grateful for religion and education? He is not only mentally colonised, but also spiritually colonised. The only one remaining is physical colonisation, that is returning to slavery.

Of what use is the religion and education to the development of Africa? As Fela of blessed memory tried to tell us, of what use is a western education that does not teach us to be self sufficient, but to serve and depend on the colonialists for everything. Of what use is a religion that makes us see God as a white man, and make us worship images of white men and women and then worship their lands as holy lands?

To paraphrase Fela in Perambulator - "They go teach am plenty English, they no teach anything for himself"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by Commonsense99: 6:29am On Jun 07, 2020
grin
The battle of Normandy was the climax of 2nd World War which some Africans also partook, so our bloods were also spilled in that so Called legacy...and in migrating out from Africa, Africans travel to both the countries of the Victor's and the vanquished, sad to say we experience same gravity of racism in both fronts.

While I might not totally accept all what OP said especially in the aspect of religion and colonisation (which gave birth to slave trade)
While I sympathise with the unfortunate victims of racism ,
Yet, I think no single Nigerian is actually qualified to be critical against the whites and their racist behaviours because we are more racist in this country against our fellow blacks, what do you think is the meaning of tribalism? Nigerians don't love themselves, given the opportunity, they will do worst than the whites against their country men in the name of tribalism!

Talk Of legacies, what legacies did our founding fathers leave for us? That the yoruba man must do everything possible including voting a Buhari just to keep the igbo man beneath him just for meaningless bragging right ? Or that the Hausa man must try to convert every other person to 12th century Islam at gun point? Or that the igbo man is to be hated Nation wide for an unknown reason which is more or less envy oriented?
Nigerians are racist against themselves and that's one reason we will never develope, and will never be respected out there.

Keep your stvpid differences aside and fix Nigeria (and Africa at large) and watch how racism will die a natural Death..fix Africa, and watch how the whole world will turn arround to respect both you And your enslaved relatives in western world.

Ask yourself, when 1 naira was 1dollar, how many Nigerians were Insulted any where in the world?
Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by VBCampaign: 6:53am On Jun 07, 2020
Commonsense99:
grin
The battle of Normandy was the climax of 2nd World War which some Africans also partook, so our bloods were also spilled in that so Called legacy...and in migrating out from Africa, Africans travel to both the countries of the Victor's and the vanquished, sad to say we experience same gravity of racism in both fronts.

While I might not totally accept all what OP said especially in the aspect of religion and colonisation (which gave birth to slave trade)
While I sympathise with the unfortunate victims of racism ,
Yet, I think no single Nigerian is actually qualified to be critical against the whites and their racist behaviours because we are more racist in this country against our fellow blacks, what do you think is the meaning of tribalism? Nigerians don't love themselves, given the opportunity, they will do worst than the whites against their country men in the name of tribalism!

Talk Of legacies, what legacies did our founding fathers leave for us? That the yoruba man must do everything possible including voting a Buhari just to keep the igbo man beneath him just for meaningless bragging right ? Or that the Hausa man must try to convert every other person to 12th century Islam at gun point? Or that the igbo man is to be hated Nation wide for an unknown reason which is more or less envy oriented?
Nigerians are racist against themselves and that's one reason we will never develope, and will never be respected out there.

Keep your stvpid differences aside and fix Nigeria (and Africa at large) and watch how racism will die a natural Death..fix Africa, and watch how the whole world will turn arround to respect both you And your enslaved relatives in western world.

Ask yourself, when 1 naira was 1dollar, how many Nigerians were Insulted any where in the world?

Thank you. Well said

1 Like

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by gratiaeo(m): 7:22am On Jun 07, 2020
Nigeria tribalism is worse

1 Like

Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by VBCampaign: 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2020
gratiaeo:
Nigeria tribalism is worse

I thought so too angry
Re: Today In History: Battle Of Normandy by walexbiz(m): 8:45pm On Jun 07, 2020
VBCampaign:

Thank you. Well said

Very well said, I agree with you totally with what you said but the only thing you missed out is that the Igbos too are very domineering, and they think they are smarter than any other tribe and when serve a cup of their own act they claim victim of injustice. Such act by Igbos too is tribalistic and no tribe or ethnicity is left behind.

(1) (Reply)

NNPC That Can’t Fix Refineries Wants To Build Hospitals - (bloomberg) / Breaking; Governor Obaseki Resigns Membership Of APC After Meeting With Buhari / Oshiomole Has Really Messed Up Big Time!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.