Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,803 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

We Need Nigerian Consumerism Or Consumer Movement? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / We Need Nigerian Consumerism Or Consumer Movement? (5186 Views)

Easter Celebration: Lagos Lifts Order On Restristion Of Movement / MGTOW - A New Movement As A Result Of Feminazism / Pls I Need Nigerian Bottling Comp,y's Phone And E Mail Ad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Need Nigerian Consumerism Or Consumer Movement? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 23, 2011
Consumerism is an organized movement of citizens and government agencies to improve the rights and power of
buyers in relation to sellers.

sellers' rights
• The right to introduce any product in any size and style, provided it is not
hazardous to personal health or safety; or, if it is, to include proper warnings
and controls.
• The right to charge any price for the product, provided no discrimination
exists among similar kinds of buyer.
• The right to spend any amount to promote the product, provided it is not
defined as unfair competition.
• The right to use any product message, provided it is not misleading or
dishonest in content or execution.
• The right to use any buying incentive schemes, provided they are not unfair
or misleading.

buyers' rights

• The right not to buy a product that is offered for sale.
• The right to expect the product to be safe.
• The right to expect the product to perform as claimed.

How many companies in Nigeria recodnise the buyers' rights, how many times do companies advertise a service that rely performes as expected? and who do tyhey answer to?
who calls them to other?, u buy an internet modem and when downloading the connection drops from a an already low speed of 70kbps to 7 kbps?
u go to the market and buy a fgallon of labelled suya bean oil no cholestrol only to see it foaming in your frying pan!! who holds the market traders and farmers accountable for selling rotten eggs or yam tubers that look good on the outside but are rotten inside,
who stops the market traders from increasing the price of a cup of rice everytime they hear an annoucement of a pay rise for workers? or when ever its a festive season?

my people in other societies its not like this!!! they have consumer groups trghat protects the rights of rthe buyers!! Nigeria cannot continue like this other wise even if they pay workers 2million naira a month it will be useless when u buy a tin of milk for 5000 naira!!!!

The telecom companies change tarriffs as they see fit to kill competetion or when it suits them because we dont have a real consumers movement in this country!!!
Transport fares are changed as the transporters see fit and they blame police extortion or fuel prices!!! in other countries things are not done like this!!!

Or else one day u will be buying a bar of soap for 2000 naira and the trader will tell u its the cost pf making soap, I know alot of factor affect prices of consumer goods, like import duties etc But when there is a real transparent consumer movement in place where the members are reguler workers who go to the markets to buy food and not senators, then all these other factors wont be checked!!!
Does anyone remeber when we used to buy a tin of peak milk for 5naira? or did the dollar affect the prices of grass fed to the cows that produce milk too?
So my fellow Nl's i feel nigeria as a cotry is ripe for this.
I know a consumer movement might not reduce prices totally but at least u wont buy a cup of rice 100 naira this week and then buy it 150 next week!!! pls let me see your thoughts on this
T

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Job Application Letter / How Do I Load The Activation Token On My Conlog Prepaid Meter? / How Many Babies Can You See? ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.