Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,225 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Efcc Recovers N100bn Assets From Ex-govs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Efcc Recovers N100bn Assets From Ex-govs (952 Views)

PDP In Secret Talks With Ex-govs, Defectors To APC : Nation / EFCC Recovers Millions From Diezani Alison-Madueke's Home - Vanguard / Ex-govs, Buhari’s Associates Lock Horns With Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Efcc Recovers N100bn Assets From Ex-govs by jandonguy: 10:24am On Jun 12, 2007
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=80729

and these idiots all claimed they were innocent that it was a witchhunt, how does a witchunt uncover 100 billion in looted funds, what a bunch of bandits , they really put Alibaba and the forty thieves to shame

The on-going interrogation of former state governors by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) may have started yielding dividends. The commission has recovered assets of some of the former state chief executives worth over N100 billion, THISDAY was informed yesterday. It has also emerged that the commission has not entered into any deal not to prosecute former governors who forfeit their loot.
Also yesterday, the commission interrogated the former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, over his stewardship. Tinubu, according to information available to THISDAY, left his Bourdillon Road residence in Ikoyi, Lagos, in the early hours of yesterday for Abuja to honour the EFCC invitation. Tinubu was supposed to have appeared before the EFCC panel last week but he wrote to request for a shift of the interview till yesterday, citing busy schedule as his reason.
Assets forfeited by some of the former governors include estates, hotels, hospitals, cash and other investments both in Nigeria and abroad. However, an EFCC official told THISDAY yesterday that there was no truth in the report that the commission had entered into a bargain with the former governors not to prosecute them in exchange for forfeiture of assets.
"Forfeiture of assets is a completely different issue from prosecution," the official said. "We will take everything step-by-step. Those who have failed to convincingly answer our questions will be charged to court after the whole process of interrogation. We have always insisted we will follow the rule of law over the matter."
Tinubu's appearance before the commission doused rumours that he might not honour the invitation extended to him.
EFCC boss, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, had earlier this year said the commission was investigating Tinubu in a case that had an “international dimension”. The Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) also accused Tinubu of operating some 16 foreign accounts in the names of his wife and children, as against the provisions of the 1999 Constitution which bars serving public officials from operating accounts outside the shores of Nigeria. Tinubu has denied these charges repeatedly.
It was not clear yesterday if these allegations formed the basis for the questioning of the former governor. The atmosphere at the Alausa, seat of Lagos government, changed following initial rumours that Tinubu was arrested by EFCC operatives.
Some Lagos lawmakers and top functionaries of government were moody as they discussed the development. The lawmakers and some democracy activists, were billed to host the former Governor today in commemoration of his contributions to the struggle for the sustenance of democratic principles in the country. They expressed worries that the EFCC may have scuttled their arrangements.
Tinubu had on the eve of his departure from the seat of government said he had a clean record in office. He challenged the EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and other agencies of government to provide evidence of his wrong doings while his eight-year tenure lasted. He vowed not to flee, saying he would remain in the country to fight oppression.
“Shame on them, let them show the accounts. I am an accountant and I have trained my children to be prudent. I cannot be intimidated. Shame on them. I am not going anywhere, I remain with you. Don’t believe any rumour. I am around, my records are clear, I have nothing to hide”, Tinubu had declared while handing over the state to his successor, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), a forthnight ago.
When contacted to comment on the development yesterday, counsel to Tinubu, Mr. Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who spoke with our correspondent on phone, confirmed that Tinubu was not arrested. He explained that Tinubu had only gone to the EFCC to honour the invitation sent to him.
“He was not arrested. He went on his own. When he asked me, I told him to go and see them. He was invited like other former governors who had been there to answer the EFCC call," he said.
THISDAY was told that Tinubu had a marathon session with the commission's investigative panel in Abuja, lasting about eight hours. It ended at about 5 pm.
Two governors were scheduled for interview yesterday: Tinubu and the former governor of Benue state, Chief George Akume. However, owing to the fact that the former Lagos state governor took most of the available time, Akume was asked to report back today.
It was also revealed yesterday that the former governors of Akwa Ibom, Obong Victor Attah and his Ebonyi state counterpart, Dr. Sam Egwu, were yet to appear before the EFCC as erroneously reported by THISDAY yesterday. They could, however, be invited later as the interviews are being conducted in batches, according to an EFCC official.
So far, the EFCC has quizzed about seven governors out of a total 15 billed to be questioned. Among ex governors so far interrogated are Dr. Peter Odili of Rivers state, Chief James Ibori (Delta), Rev. Jolly Nyame (Taraba), Alhaji Saminu Turaki (Jigawa), Alhaji Ahmed Sani Yarima (Zamfara), Senator Tinubu and Chief George Akume (Benue).
Another former governor among those being awaited at the EFCC office for questioning, Chief Lucky Nosakhare Igbinedion, yesterday refuted rumours that he was on the run. In a statement from his close friend made available to THISDAY, he said he was not on the run and would as a matter of fact return to Nigeria this week.
He said Igbinedion's attention had been drawn to a news report that he ran away from the country to evade inquisition by the EFCC and explained that the ex-governor only travelled for "a deserved rest shortly after the inauguration of the new administration in Edo State."

(1) (Reply)

One, Nigeria, One Inec, Three (3) Different Results-april Polls / Us Appoints Nigerian Scientist To Head Research Centre / How Can I Be President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.