Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China (28282 Views)

Coronavirus: Nigerians Trapped In Wuhan, China Cry Out "Bring Us Home" (Photos) / Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ / Coronavirus: Dead Man Lying On The Street Of Wuhan In China (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by SolutionsMed: 7:11pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nigerian student who was in Wuhan, China at the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, narrates her experience.

Evelyn John

January 2020 changed the world as we use to know it, daily; people ask when will the world return to normal? The question that agitates the mind is what will the new normal be? I have come to the conclusion that until there is a vaccine for COVID-19, the world might not return to ‘normal’. My tale of three cities traverses through Wuhan, Guangzhou and Abuja

WUHAN

With the goal of publishing a paper in mind, I had stayed back in Wuhan during the Winter holiday and that was going well up until, the first news of the Coronavirus spreading within the City hit me, I panicked and decided to get back home, immediately but I never made it out of Wuhan, before its lockdown; an unprecedented move in the opinion of many.

Wuhan is a city of over 11million people located in the Central of China, a major transport hub for about 9 Provinces. The beloved city of Wuhan is home to numerous universities and higher institutions of learning with over 1million students. What is there not to love about Wuhan! The bustling city life, street food, the sheer number of students (foreign and local), the cool air around the East Lake or a ferry ride across the Yangtse River? A city that never sleeps!

I woke up on the 23rd January, 2020 and the city that never sleeps had been put on a lockdown to curb the COVID-19 pandemic. There were so many information online, from mainstream media to social media, some unconfirmed news while others were pure speculations. You do need a discerning mind to decide on what’s true and what’s not.

Like the rest of the numerous residents of Wuhan, I panicked. No one saw this coming. As a student, living on campus, I was scared of being cut off from the outside world as no one had an idea of when the lockdown would be lifted. The coming weeks saw different Countries evacuating their citizens from Wuhan. As the reality of my situation became clearer, I began to adjust to the reality on ground.

The International Student Office of my university was exceptional, they ensured free meals were delivered at my doorstep, daily. For over 80 days, breakfast, lunch and dinner were served. Groceries were also arranged to be delivered at our apartment. I didn’t lack for anything. They also ensured proper information dissemination, with constant updates, I eventually had to stay off the news in other to protect my mental health.

After over 70 days alone in my room, not to forget the outpouring of love, prayers and monetary gifts, we were overjoyed to receive the news of the Lockdown being lifted, finally and we saw the city of Wuhan gradually crawl back to life, all thanks to the sacrifices of thousands of health workers- our heroes!

By this time, school has resumed the Spring Semester howbeit, everything had been moved online and running smoothly – the power of technology.

Wuhan has now tested over 9 million of its residents within less than 2 weeks, a measure said to ensure that the City is truly free – I would say only the Chinese Government can embark on these sort of projects – just like the construction of the 2 makeshifts hospitals in Wuhan at the height of the Pandemic.

GUANGZHOU: OF DISCRIMINATION AND HOSPITALITY

Seeing as my semester was almost ending and I do love to spend the summer holiday with my family while writing my doctoral thesis proposal, I decided to join the flight evacuating Nigerians from Guangzhou City to Abuja.

Guangzhou is the most populous city in Southern China, home to the largest community of Africans in China, a destination for most Africans coming to China for one form of business or the other. I had to travel by fast train to Guangzhou to join the flight to Nigeria, I was a little uncomfortable with the negative news that had gone viral on the maltreatment of Nigerians in that city

Around mid-April, while China was already getting a hang of the control of the pandemic, the news of discrimination against blacks/Africans in Guangzhou was all over the news. Based on media reportage of the discrimination, I was not looking forward to the journey as it was my first time in Guangzhou.

Imagine my relief on arrival at the Southern Train Station, Guangzhou, where Taxi people were very nice and helpful, helping with my boxes as I was struggling. The taxi ride down to my hotel was the most pleasant as the driver kept asking questions about Nigeria as we rode for almost an hour to Tianhe District. The staff of the hotel, a friend had recommended, were courteous as well.

While it became clear that my flight to Nigeria will be delayed for a week or more, along with 3 other Nigerian professors, who had arrived from other Cities for the same flight, I began exploring the City of Guangzhou.

On the 3rd day, some health workers arrived at the hotel to inform me that I would need to take the COVID-19 test as I had traveled out of Wuhan before I could get tested. We agreed on a set time for the next day. The sample was taken at the agreed time and my result was delivered to my room, seamlessly.

While I enjoyed the hospitality at the hotel, going shopping at the Mall and eating at different restaurants, the question then become, does my one single experience invalidate the experiences of the other Africans in Guangzhou? The answer is No.

THIS IS ABUJA

Must have been over 14-hour flight, but I arrived in Nigeria and was extremely glad to be back home, except that the mandatory quarantine made my joy short-lived. I was on the same flight with over 250 Nigerians who had been stranded in Guangzhou at the height of the reported discrimination and pandemic.

Some are also in the same hotel with me; a few days back, an older man, who had been on a business trip to Guangzhou mentioned how grateful he was to the Chinese Government during his stay in Guangzhou, one of the Professors then asked why he would say that considering the numerous news about discrimination and maltreatment.

He went on to narrate how he was put in a hotel and fed by both the Chinese and Nigerian Consulate in Guangzhou, after his mandatory quarantine on arrival in March. I didn’t ask any questions, I just enjoyed his short story and moved on.

The night before I put down this piece, another young man decided to also tell us lessons learnt in Guangzhou as this was his first business trip.

HIS STORY

He arrived Guangzhou sometimes in March with other Nigerians/Africans, they were all put under mandatory quarantine for 14-days, on completion, a COVID-19 test was administered and their results were handed over to them and they were let go.

Surprisingly, they couldn’t find any hotels that would take them in, the more they searched, the more they were rejected. While the Police did all that they could to ensure they stayed off the streets, they were just trying to find a space to lay their heads.

After about 2-3 nights on the streets, they found a hotel who took them in and fed them, free of charge. At first, it was just him and 3 of his friends but once they saw how hospitable, they were. They immediately sent a message to their friends in the other parts of the City to join them.

“Till that night we come Airport, we stay for this hotel and dem dey bring breakfast, lunch and dinner, we go even go market and come back, they only say make we register when we dey comot and when we come back”

He concluded with “the thing still dey shock me say they no collect one naira from us oh, their government too try”

WHAT WENT WRONG?

After listening to these 2 stories and based on my experience, I have some questions that I might never get answers to. Like, why did the hotels refuse to take them in after their mandatory quarantine with a test result showing they were COVID-19 free?

Did a lack of communication between both sides escalate the matter? From my experience, I know some nuances and meanings are usually lost when we are speaking to each other with the aid of a translating App.

We also need to discuss the role of the media in the escalation and de-escalation of the matter. What role did the media play?

In any case, both Nigeria and China continue to build a strong relationship, although there will be similar challenges along the way, we hope that both Countries will also continue to find common grounds and resolve these differences and challenges while also ensuring mutual respects.

Conclusively, I know a lot of Nations across the earth are still struggling to control the Pandemic, including mine, I hope we can all take some lessons from China, we should take into cognizance the peculiarities of each Nation while applying these lessons.

Peace and light!

Evelyn John is a Nigerian doctoral student in China

https://pandanet.ng/covid-19-my-tale-of-3-cities/

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Vyzz: 7:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
grin
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Fheelzz(m): 7:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nice

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Realist5: 8:21pm On Jun 10, 2020
If na Naija Hotel, even their left over food would not be given to you.

Kudos to the People for their high level of Hospitality.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Minsk24: 10:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
nice
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by GboyegaD(m): 2:50am On Jun 11, 2020
Detailed write up.

9 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by odinga1of: 1:32pm On Jun 11, 2020
Evelyn John you are beautiful!

Well detailed information.

The media sometimes can be use to fame or defamed a character or a nation .

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by gnykelly(m): 4:58pm On Jun 11, 2020
really appreciate your first hand reportage. China is a different story of what we might have been fed in the past.

20 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2020
Damage control

17 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Subduer: 5:28pm On Jun 11, 2020
1. Evelyn's narrative sounds as if she's a Mrs John. She also looks like Middle Belt.
2. She didn't say whether she's on a Chinese Government Scholarship, or sabbatical. If she's a beneficiary of Chinese Government money, Nigerians can understand.
3. What she didn't say tells volumes. So she didn't hear that a Nigerian BIT a Chinese nurse. That omission, for a PhD candidate, maybe International.
4. And having to return to China to defend her Dissertation, no reasonable person will expect her not write as she has. Just leave matter for Mattias.
5. Welcome Mummy. Oga must be glad to see his babe back.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by madamori9: 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2020
This is really detailed, but I doubt China can have a better relation with any country.

China betrayed the world.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Houseofglam7(f): 9:33pm On Jun 11, 2020
cry
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2020
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNIST REPUBLIC OF CHINA!

AT LEAST A CHINESE OFFICIAL DIDN'T KNEEL TO KILL A HELPLESS NIGERIAN

7 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by candidbabe(f): 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2020
hmmmmm
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by RighteousOne: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2020
Nice one
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by SultanOfAbia: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2020
G
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 9:34pm On Jun 11, 2020
I no do....if I wan read, I know were dem dey sell novel. Abeg make somebody help me summarize

4 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by NwaNimo1(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2020

11 Likes

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Galactico4ever(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2020
Seat Taken
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by jericco1(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2020
To the moderator that banned me thank you undecided

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2020
well as sisters, I ll advice u quickly go back to Wuhan cos Nigeria as lost it all.
and mind u china's covid 19 is different from naija's own so u are not safe.
This is Nigeria where we see ordinary cold n catarrh as CORO oo,u r not safe

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by TRUSTEDGUY: 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2020
grin
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Joefat: 9:37pm On Jun 11, 2020
madamori9:
This is really detailed. Well, China still have to pay for crimes. Many Nigerians wouldn’t risk schooling in China anymore.

Oga Yekini, Easyyyyyyyy nah

Which crimes again

Try to have a Mind of forgiveness just for once..

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by Aflix(m): 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
This post seems like a sponsored post. How is it that she met only those that has songs of praise for China. You cannot tell me that the ambassador that spoke angrily to some Chinese officials did so just because he felt like.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by babyfaceafrica: 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
Noted
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by koolaid87: 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by sexylassie2(f): 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
What about the videos we saw.

The no entries for blacks at shops and malls.

The Nigerians on the street been thrown out from hotels.

So because they lodged you in an hotel and gave you food, all of a sudden China is the best country in the world.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by YungMike(m): 9:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
Nice piece. Detailed write-up.

Are you in the abroad? and you're finding it difficult to call your family and friends in Nigeria because of High call rate?
Say No More..... download the SmileVoice app on your ios or Android phone and hit me up to get the SmileVoice Number. Make calls for as low as 11kb/s + Zero roaming charges.

Check my signature for contact

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by NwaIgboBoy(m): 9:41pm On Jun 11, 2020
Igbo Amaka!!!
Re: Covid-19: My Tale Of 3 Cities - Evelyn John, A Nigerian Student In Wuhan, China by LadySarah: 9:42pm On Jun 11, 2020
My cousin is currently on quarantine in Abuja being one of those recently repatriated from China.
He also said since February till the day the Nig govt picked them up , he never lacked good food,medicwtion and hospitality coutesy of the Chinese govt.All for free!

Something fishy abt the media reports Imo.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Ban Private Practice By Doctors In Public Service / Nursing Mum Discovers Methylated Spirit In A Vitamins Syrup She Bought In Imo / Lady Recounts How Carelessness Made Her Lose Her Partner At FMC, Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.