Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? (14640 Views)

Buhara Next Destination Country / North Not 80% Of Nigerian Population, Afenifere Replies ACF. / Nigerian Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by ezeagu(m): 3:45am On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Read her biography, never even hinted that she was Nigerian, talkless of Igbo lol. But she still Igbo grin

Maka why? Because Nnenna Freelon is not Igbo, her mother just gave her an Igbo name. Her name (before marriage) is Chinyere Nnenna Pierce.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 3:48am On Jan 27, 2011
EzeUche_:

Her full name is Nnenna Chinyere Freelon. The woman is 100% Igbo.
ezeagu:

Maka why? Because Nnenna Freelon is not Igbo, her mother just gave her an Igbo name.

You two should discuss this and come up with a sensible answer. LOL Seun, this is why NL needs PM.

@Uche Never said she aint. I just say she seems like she dont wanna represent.

SEFAGO:

I think the issue is that people from the same ethnic group stick together. So when you go to a party everyone you meet is Igbo. When dayokanu goes to a party, everyone he meets is Yoruba. Your social sphere revolves around people who share them same cultural traits that you do.

Really I would not want to go to an igbo party since they dont make pounded yam like ileke-idi does.

Never forget that, my dear. Never forget that.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 3:48am On Jan 27, 2011
dayokanu:

Seriously in Houston I can't point to it that one is more especially in the SW part of Houston go to any Redeemed church and see the number of Yorubas and in the parties among the younger generations after pidgin Yoruba is probably the mostly spoken language

Texas is predominately Igbo. That is a cold hard fact. I have seen more Igbos in Texas than in any other place outside of Nigeria. The Washington DC area is predominately Yoruba. I will not deny that fact.

Igbos have always chosen the U.S. as a place of destination way before Yorubas came to this nation in droves.

In the UK, Yorubas are the predominate Nigerian ethnic group. No Igbo would ever make the claim that we are the majority in that nation.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by dayokanu(m): 3:49am On Jan 27, 2011
You also have to know that some AA chose African names for themselves its not ununsual to see a pure AA called Kwame remember venus and Serena had a sister called Yewande who have nothing to do with Yorubas
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by ezeagu(m): 3:50am On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

@Uche Never said she aint. I just say she seems like she dont wanna represent.

Many Igbo people think she is, but she isn't, but her mother chose to represent anyway I guess. grin There's enough of the Igbo diaspora representing to worry about one person anyway.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 3:53am On Jan 27, 2011
So at the end of the day. . . .  someone is going to sleep, contended that their group is predominant in this area or that. While tommor morning, we hear another story of home equity fraud.

Should the predominant group take blame for all the Nigerian bad images we get? Esp the drug peddlers and street urchins.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 3:53am On Jan 27, 2011
Nnamdi Asomugha - One of the best CBs in the NFL right now

Osi Umenyiora - One of the best defensive ends that have ever lived

Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by SEFAGO(m): 3:54am On Jan 27, 2011
Well start naming the Yoruba-Americans. I can name some famous Americans of Yoruba descent, but there are not that many compared to the amount of Igbos who have the name recognition.

Really you want me to start? Yes there are more igbo athletes (which would be viewed as famous) and of course emeagwali  grin.

Moreover, I dont see the link between the number of famous igbo people and their actual numbers in the US

Igbos have always chosen the U.S. as a place of destination way before Yorubas came to this nation in droves.

Nah, I think its more because of the DV lottery system, which is awarded primarily to Nigerians that have led to a lot of igbos in the US.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 3:56am On Jan 27, 2011
fstranger,

a little help before I bounce. You dont need to look up any names jare. Just scrim through this thread and you get the idea wink https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-342281.0.html#msg4800411

bye! cheesy
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by SEFAGO(m): 3:56am On Jan 27, 2011
Nnamdi Asomugha - One of the CBs in the NFL right now

Osi Umenyiora - One of the best defensive ends that have ever lived

Read my above posts, I knew you were going to start naming athletes and people in the NFL since that is where igbo people dominate. Even in my undergrad half of the football team where igbo. So, I kind of figured out that igbo people tend to like pushing, punching and catching balls.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:57am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

Sticking to places where Nigerians usually travel to, the Yoruba outnumber everyone by a large margin in the UK. The Igbo outnumber everyone in: China, Malaysia, Japan, South Africa, Finland, Spain, Bight of Biafra countries, South Korea, India, Singapore and possibly Berber countries.
The Hausa outnumber everyone (apart from native lands) in Sudan, Somalia, Ethiopia and Arab countries.
The Fulani outnumber everyone in Cameroon.

I suspect Edo equal or outnumber Igbo in Spain.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 3:58am On Jan 27, 2011
SEFAGO:

Read my above posts, I knew you were going to start naming athletes and people in the NFL since that is where igbo people dominate. Even in my undergrad half of the football team where igbo. So, I kind of figured out that igbo people tend to like pushing, punching and catching balls.

grin grin grin

Well we dominate at most sports we play. Track & field, football, American football. It doesn't matter. The Igbo body has been blessed by Chineke. We believe in strength.

However, I will continue to reiterate that there are more Yorubas in the UK. In certain areas of London, I thought I was in Lagos.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 3:59am On Jan 27, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

I suspect Edo equal or outnumber Igbo in Spain.

Your people outnumber us in Italy. grin I can't comment on Spain.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:03am On Jan 27, 2011
Like Igbo outnumber Edo in Malaysia and South Africa. grin

I can comment on Spain. Lot of Edos there.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by SEFAGO(m): 4:04am On Jan 27, 2011
^ You guys, do you like spend time counting how many people are in a place lol.

Should the predominant group take blame for all the Nigerian bad images we get? Esp the drug peddlers and street urchins.

Personally I think they should. One group is predominant in China and South Africa where Nigerians are notorious for selling drugs. Another group is predominant in Sudan and one of them was responsible for an event on a plane last year  grin. The other group which are in the UK, do no one harm, are quite friendly and are in peaceful coexistence with their host countries (while their host country performs reform after reform to reduce immigration from these undesirables grin)

Your people outnumber us in Italy.  Grin I can't comment on Spain.

I am sure if there is a market for it in italy, there is one in spain

However, I will continue to reiterate that there are more Yorubas in the UK. In certain areas of London, I thought I was in Lagos.

This is a well known and accepted fact of life.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 4:07am On Jan 27, 2011
SEFAGO:

Personally I think they should. One group is predominant in China and South Africa where Nigerians are notorious for selling drugs. Another group is predominant in Sudan and one of them was responsible for an event on a plane last year  grin. The other group which are in the UK, do no one harm, are quite friendly and are in peaceful coexistence with their host countries (while their host country performs reform after reform to reduce immigration from these undesirables grin)

This is a well known and accepted fact of life.
grin grin

And they say "Nigerians" are messing their country up abroad. grin
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 4:08am On Jan 27, 2011
Well we Igbos should take responsibility for certain nefarious aspects. Igbos are heavy in the drug trade. From Southeast Asia, South Africa and even in the U.S., there are many Igbos in that type of business.

Don't get me wrong, Yorubas are also in the drug trade as well. Go to Brazil. Even the Brazilians know not to mess with the Yorubas when it comes to that type of business. And Brazil is a very dangerous place. That speaks volumes.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by fstranger1: 4:08am On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

fstranger,

a little help before I bounce. You dont need to look up any names jare. Just scrim through this thread and you get the idea  wink https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-342281.0.html#msg4800411

bye! cheesy

Thanks Ileke

I just dont have his time today.

To me it is non-issue. Igbos do not outnumber Yorubas.

It is just not true!
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 4:09am On Jan 27, 2011
fstranger1:

Thanks Ileke

I just dont have his time today.

To me it is non-issue. Igbos do not outnumber Yorubas.

It is just not true!

Come to Maryland and I will assure you personally how we Igbos outnumber you Yorubas in the U.S. You can deny it all you want, but it is a fact.

I hope that doesn't give you nightmares.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by ezeagu(m): 4:09am On Jan 27, 2011
SEFAGO:

The other group which are in the UK, do no one harm, are quite friendly and are in peaceful coexistence with their host countries

If wishes were horses, I think?

Ileke-IdI:

grin grin

And they say "Nigerians" are messing their country up abroad.  grin

Very soon someone will bring up that massive case in New York that had one group overwhelmingly as the culprits. Being a majority does not mean you are responsible for everything.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by dayokanu(m): 4:10am On Jan 27, 2011
Talking about Sports even in Nigeria Igbos dominate almost every sport so using Sport domination in the US might be misleading unless we want to say Igbos domination of local sport in Nigeria means Igbos dominate the Nigerian population
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 27, 2011
ezeagu:

If wishes were horses, I think?

It would have ridden you to Biafra in a golden chariot.

Dude, is it so hard to ignore me? Anytime you quote me, I fight the urge to send my oldest son to come and slap the grease off your face. Senseless!
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 4:13am On Jan 27, 2011
We know Yorubas believe in those bogus marriages, which make the news in the U.S. All those sham marriages, and fraudulent entries into the U.S. is mostly done by Yorubas.  grin
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by ezeagu(m): 4:13am On Jan 27, 2011
Yoruba people don't have as much notable celebrities in the United States as the Igbo do. They have the majority of the A-listers of Nigerian descent in the UK though. Again, even if celebrities are not a good measure, you won't find strong Yoruba communities in the US like they have in the UK. The Igbo and Yoruba are probably equal in Canada.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:15am On Jan 27, 2011
SEFAGO:

Not really, there's just not much on this board right now. But if you don't correct people's made up notions, then you see stuff like 200,000 Igbos and only 80,000 Yorubas in the U.S. and some dummy reading such might take that as a reasonable estimate.

And if there are avenues for credit card and insurance fraud in the U.K., I am sure there are some in the U.S. grin grin Maybe that explains other emigration patterns.  grin grin

On a serious note, it would be a shame if drug pushing, pros titution, and credit and insurance fraud dictated Nigerian emigration patterns.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by ezeagu(m): 4:15am On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It would have ridden you to Biafra in a golden chariot.

Dude, is it so hard to ignore me? Anytime you quote me, I fight the urge to send my oldest son to come and slap the grease off your face. Senseless!

Don't want to ignore,                                      so I won't.

Anyway, children already? Wow. shocked
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 4:17am On Jan 27, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Not really, there's just not much on this board right now. But if you don't correct people's made up notions, then you see stuff like 200,000 Igbos and only 80,000 Yorubas in the U.S. and some dummy reading such might take that as a reasonable estimate.

And if there are avenues for credit card and insurance fraud in the U.K., I am sure there are some in the U.S. grin grin

I like your posts, so I'll let this ride. Very funny tho grin grin grin

SEFAGO will soon set one up grin grin
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Becomrichn: 4:18am On Jan 27, 2011
This information is a lie. There are not 7 million Nigerian living in Sudan, it is just a propaganda by northerners. There are not up to 1 million Nigerian in sudan.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Nobody: 4:20am On Jan 27, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

And if there are avenues for credit card and insurance fraud in the U.K., I am sure there are some in the U.S. grin grin Maybe that explains other emigration patterns.  grin grin

On a serious note, it would be a shame if drug pushing, pros titution, and credit and insurance fraud dictated Nigerian emigration patterns.

I'll speak for my people. Most Yorubas come here for their education. Most of them are either international students, or health professional workers.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by Jenifa1: 4:23am On Jan 27, 2011
this is obviously not true. Sudan isn't even in the top 10 of countries Nigerians emigrate to.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by EzeUche2(m): 4:24am On Jan 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'll speak for my people. Most Yorubas come here for their education. Most of them are either international students, or health professional workers.

While most Igbos come to the U.S. to live and raise a family. That is why our population is higher.
Re: Sudan Home To The Largest Nigerian Population Of Any Destination Country? by fstranger1: 4:24am On Jan 27, 2011
^^^
@Jenifa

you are not Nigerian

how would you know?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bama:Military Orders Arrest Of General For Running Into Bush With Troops In Fear / Underdevelopment In Africa: Use Your Brain Now Or Perish - Melie Onyejepu / Police, DSS, NSCDC In Supremacy Battle In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.