Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,390 members, 7,836,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) (71569 Views)

Ahmad Lawan's Mother, Hajiya Halima Ibrahim, Dies At 86 / President Buhari Salutes General Gowon At 86, Calls Him A Gallant Soldier / Alhassan Ado-Doguwa: My Father Had 40 Children At 86 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Apawicked: 11:58am On Jun 23, 2020
MENELIIK:

My Opinion on the story.

As at that time, his region in Nigeria couldnt boast of having more educated personalities than other regions in southern Nigeria, yet they got all those positions like his own, Vice Chancellor of UI, Unilag, heads of Federal Government parastatals among others not because of ingenuity but the alliance of NPC and NCNC. If you look at it clinically and you want to be sincere with yourself, the region that was ostraciced by the coalition government of NPC and NCNC did better than the other two regions who run the central government. If this people are superhuman like you always claim, then their home region then should have reflected class but this was not the case. They got those appointments not because then they were better than other people, rather as a result of nepotism and marginalisation that their descendants are crying about today which was however, initiated by their fathers.
don't shift the goalpost. The excerpt made this your post look stupid and that's the same thing was telling you.

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by obaaderemi: 12:08pm On Jun 23, 2020
chuxyfranklin:

There's little or no correlation between reading and becoming a good leader.
grin The stark difference in the results of leadership in northern Nigeria and southern Nigeria is enough proof that there is correlation between reading and quality of leadership. wink
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 12:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
May his soul rest in peace!

Before this go any further let it be on record that the deceased did not design any grid nor gave any major design success to National Electricity.

We dont to do a mythbust in future so its necessary to counter the lies now before it catches on.

Here is official history of electricity in Nigeria.

https://nerc.gov.ng/index.php/home/nesi/401-history

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MENELIIK: 12:25pm On Jun 23, 2020
Apawicked:
don't shift the goalpost. The excerpt made this your post look stupid and that's the same thing was telling you.

I know it is normal for you to wake your parents with slap that is why vulgar language is common with you, but then make use of your sense now.
I posited that those people got those appointments through nepotism and not merit because the Igbos and their Hausa friends were in charge of Nigeria at least between 1959 and 1966 and your brother in the bid to counter my claim gave an extract from a write up showering encomiums on the Igbos. You would have added that the Premier of the then Eastern region Michael Opara and the ceremonial president Azikiwe escaped death during the coup because they were smart.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by egalitarianism: 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2020
obaaderemi:
My daddy son, you made sense! The youths of today in Nigeria are an embarrassment. If the girls are not watching those empty nollywood movies they are talking about fashion and sex. As for the boys, if they are not watching wrestling, they are talking about nairabet and such things.
You can't hold a meaningful intellectual conversation with them.
I was at a seminar not long ago and I asked the boys and girls present if any of them knew George Orwell, author of Animal Farm. They had neither heard of the book nor its author. It's pathetic. grin
Damn. I give it to you my son. This is what we're talking about. You all have the ball in your Court. God bless you my son for this piece.
Stay out of trouble

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Fucsheetup(f): 12:29pm On Jun 23, 2020
obaaderemi:
My son, you made sense! The youths of today in Nigeria are an embarrassment. If the girls are not watching those empty nollywood movies they are talking about fashion and sex. As for the boys, if they are not watching wrestling, they are talking about nairabet and such things.
You can't hold a meaningful intellectual conversation with them.
I was at a seminar not long ago and I asked the boys and girls present if any of them knew George Orwell, author of Animal Farm. They had neither heard of the book nor its author. It's pathetic. grin
Is that your threshold for intelligence?

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Fucsheetup(f): 12:31pm On Jun 23, 2020
chuxyfranklin:

Your analogy sef get comma.

So because some people don't know George Orwell or have never read Animal farm means they're not intelligent enough?

Do you know the number of books they've read that you've never read? Or the number of Authors they know that you don't?

If your generation was any better, Nigeria wouldn't have been in this irredeemable state that it currently is.

The bulk of politicians stealing and running the country dry are from your so called "Enlightened Generation", so what on earth are you trying to insinuate?
Help me ask him bro.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Fucsheetup(f): 12:33pm On Jun 23, 2020
Flairoqy:

Stylized way of recommendation, but thanks anyway, I'm glad I looked it up.
According to his analogy, you have no intelligence whatsoever. If you had been there, you would’ve been among the ‘pathetic’ ones.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 12:35pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Before this go any further let it be on record that the deceased did not design any grid nor gave any major design success to National Electricity.

We dont to do a mythbust in future so its necessary to counter the lies now before it catches on.

Clement Onyemelukwe was recruited in 1962 from the Central Electricity Generation Board of UK where he was the Deputy Head of Planning

4 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 12:39pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Read more about him in New York Times 1964

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/12/27/archives/nigerian-marries-peace-corps-girl-brides-grandfather-headed-land.html

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Okoroawusa: 12:46pm On Jun 23, 2020
Na wa o! Person wey don die since January?
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 23, 2020
obaaderemi:
grin The stark difference in the results of leadership in northern Nigeria and southern Nigeria is enough proof that there is correlation between reading and quality of leadership. wink

Please mention the difference??

Let's compare our leaders from the south and the North?

We've had past presidents from the south, how did the country fare better during their tenure?

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Apawicked: 12:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
MENELIIK:

I know it is normal for you to wake your parents with slap that is why vulgar language is common with you, but then make use of your sense now.
I posited that those people got those appointments through nepotism and not merit because the Igbos and their Hausa friends were in charge of Nigeria at least between 1959 and 1966 and your brother in the bid to counter my claim gave an extract from a write up showering encomiums on the Igbos. You would have added that the Premier of the then Eastern region Michael Opara and the ceremonial president Azikiwe escaped death during the coup because they were smart.
i guess the reason why he was also recruited as the Deputy Head of Planning Central Electricity Generation Board UK was because Igbos were also in charge at UK or maybe Igbo woman was the queen of England then??
you are an ediot, a foolish Igbo hater. sorry but no sorry

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by 1kingwriter: 1:05pm On Jun 23, 2020
post=90972608:

His brother was former Archbishop of Diocese on the Niger,

No.
The two Onyemelukwes are not related.
Archbishop Onyemelukwe is from Nnewi while the Onyemelukwe discussed here in from Nnanka. Both are from Anambra.

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MaziIgwe007: 1:18pm On Jun 23, 2020
Every single genuine, good hearted and hardworking IGBO has anointing on his head.

BIAFRA SHALL BE GREAT

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Obamaofusa: 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2020
post=90976784:

Education came to west first, before East, but when Igbos embraced education, they started studing hard professional courses unlike Yorubas that went for the easy way out, even today Igbos study more professional courses in Universities than Yorubas, go and check states that top in students that are studing Engineering, Medicine, Law, Pharmacy in Universities in Nigeria

How come Yorubas have the best lawyers,doctors,technocrats etc?

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Obamaofusa: 1:29pm On Jun 23, 2020
Okoroawusa:
Na wa o! Person wey don die since January?

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 1:35pm On Jun 23, 2020
Obamaofusa:

So you think, and that was what you were meant to believe by Lagos/Ibadan media

3 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by IDENNAA(m): 1:37pm On Jun 23, 2020
Obamaofusa:

I really dont think Yoruba has the best of these profession...You may have
more lawyers but you dont have the best , neither do you havr the best technocrats or or doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by IDENNAA(m): 1:40pm On Jun 23, 2020
The fact that Lagos which is a Yoruba land was the capital of Nigeria and they have used this advantage to manoeuvre many favors doesn't mean you are better. Lagos is your saving grace but enjoy it while it last.

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Ritchiee: 1:40pm On Jun 23, 2020
Apawicked:

lol

Does learning how to wear clothes in 1921 mean that Igbos were smart?

1 Like

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2020
IDENNAA:

more lawyers but you dont have the best , neither do you havr the best technocrats or or doctors.
Igbos produce more lawyers

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 1:50pm On Jun 23, 2020
Barth Nnaji an innovator and one of the inventors of the E-Design concept, founded Geometric IPP, the first independent and integrated power utility in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 2:07pm On Jun 23, 2020
post=90981055:

Clement Onyemelukwe was recruited in 1962 from the Central Electricity Generation Board of UK where he was the Deputy Head of Planning

His credential as Head of Planning should not be confused with originator of grid design as your opening claimed.

The grid had been in existence before Mr Onyemelukwe had finished his studies.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2020
IDENNAA:

Best is not by mouth.

List your most acclaimed lawyers, let us list ours.

Abi your best lawyers no get names?
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 2:10pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

His credential as Head of Planning should not be confused with originator of grid design as your opening claimed.

The grid had been in existence before Mr Onyemelukwe had finished his studies.
I know it's hard for you to swallow, Onyemelukwe initiated the planning and development of the electricity grid still used in Nigeria today when he became Chief Electrical Engineer in 1962.

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 2:11pm On Jun 23, 2020
Best lawyer in Ibo remains Nwabueze....but we know what he is famous for. He wrote the decree that displaced regional government and centralized national government.

2 Likes

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 2:12pm On Jun 23, 2020
post=90984208:

I know it's hard for you to swallow, Onyemelukwe initiated the planning and development of the electricity grid still used in Nigeria today when he became Chief Electrical Engineer in 1962.

Please bring official document to make me a believer.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 23, 2020
SLAP44:
10 points to note about this topic.

1. Onyemekukwe was a trained expert on electrical matters

2. He designed Nigerian electrical grid and was instrumental to running it till the war broke out

3. He must have fled Lagos like others

4. When he returned, his position has been given to one of those who won the war

5. The person who took his position might be a mediocre quota system figure head who is just occupying the position just because they won the war.

6. Electricity expansion and maintenance took a nose dive as the winner of the war took all money making positions and milked the nation dry.

7. Onyemekukwe got frustrated and left to form his own private company after the war, later got fed up as Nigeria continued to die in instalments, so he relocated abroad to allow Nigeria to die very well.

8. Till today Nigerian electricity is still wallowing in the wilderness with zero hope in sight.

9. Till we find good people that will forgive Nigeria and work with their whole energy and God given talents, Nigeria will continue to descend to Yemen levels.

10. That is the story of Nigeria.

The quota system head will also appoint quota system subordinates.

Nah so.
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 2:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Published in New York Times 1964

Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by DelphiOracle(m): 2:22pm On Jun 23, 2020
SLAP44:
10 points to note about this topic.

1. Onyemekukwe was a trained expert on electrical matters

2. He designed Nigerian electrical grid and was instrumental to running it till the war broke out

3. He must have fled Lagos like others

4. When he returned, his position has been given to one of those who won the war

5. The person who took his position might be a mediocre quota system figure head who is just occupying the position just because they won the war.

6. Electricity expansion and maintenance took a nose dive as the winner of the war took all money making positions and milked the nation dry.

7. Onyemekukwe got frustrated and left to form his own private company after the war, later got fed up as Nigeria continued to die in instalments, so he relocated abroad to allow Nigeria to die very well.

8. Till today Nigerian electricity is still wallowing in the wilderness with zero hope in sight.

9. Till we find good people that will forgive Nigeria and work with their whole energy and God given talents, Nigeria will continue to descend to Yemen levels.

10. That is the story of Nigeria.

Jesus. Number 7 got me o
Re: Clement Onyemelukwe: 'Father Of Electricity’ In Nigeria Died At 86 (Photos) by Anambra1stS0n: 2:30pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Are The Three Arms Of Government And Their Symbols Of Authority? / Falz, Others In #EndSARSMemorial Car Procession At Lekki Tollgate (Pictures) / Adeyemo Akintunde, US-Based Military Colonel Advises Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.