Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,991 members, 7,841,794 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. (7511 Views)

Jonathan, Fayose At The Bayelsa PDP Governorship Primary Election Today (Photos) / Senator Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan (Governorship Candidate) Shines At APC Rally / Hakila Yerima Is Dead (SDP Governorship Candidate In Adamawa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by MaiSuya(m): 12:35am On Jan 29, 2011
babaowo:

may the killing continue within the enemies of nigeria in jesus name amen

Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by xreal: 12:38am On Jan 29, 2011
O.K, so 2011 assassinations has started?

Naija; I hail.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Eziachi: 12:39am On Jan 29, 2011
fstranger1:

Never in your life should you make the mistake of mentioning Boko Haram and Igbos with Yorubas in the same sentence. Yorubas are way too sophisticated for that.

Please take note.

Yorubas are too sophisticated for what? Assassination?
I thought there were degree awarding- University of political assassination in Yoruba land just as it seems we have such in Igboland now for kidnapping?
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Nobody: 12:42am On Jan 29, 2011
babaowo:

may the killing continue within the enemies of nigeria in jesus name amen
We are in the season of political killing. cry cry but what is government doing to protect lives and properties generally ?
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Borat1: 12:50am On Jan 29, 2011
ibb11:

god spread macy 4them&most govmnt shoul chake the responsibiles coz next action

Is this by any chance one of the gunmen? angry
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by emjaym: 12:51am On Jan 29, 2011
Y al dis tribalism?
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by polosky: 1:13am On Jan 29, 2011
ezeuche u must be MAD. wetin carry igbo matter join hausa matter now. na the type of una dey bring abt disunity 4 this great country. u go skl at all?. guy use ur head!
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by maga1: 1:14am On Jan 29, 2011
Y'all dont need to be tribal on this issues because the common man on the street is not affected directly. Me thinks the big guy called this upon themselves and i hope and pray it will spread all over Nigeria where all the BIG BIG THIEVES will be assasinated. From the look of things on the ground we the pple living in borno know this is the handi work of the boko haram. The group has sworn that they will kill the present governor and his cohorts and make sure they drag his body on the street. I think the game has just begun. If y'all could remember it started with the killing of the state chairman of ANPP sometimes last year and now it has been extended down to the house of the state governor. One major problem is that the governor is running the state like a family affairs, he wanted to impose his late younger brother as the ANPP gubernatorial aspirant of the state but due to stiff opposition from within the party he was left with no choice but to drop the idea of using his younger brother and he now came up with the idea of imposing the late aspirant (whom is his cousin) on the party. Mind you, he (the current governor) is running for the post of senate while his wife is running for the state house of assembly. He (the present governor) is a greedy bast.e.rd that needs to get the fvck out of the govt. He deserve it now lets see who he is going to bring out as the next guber aspirant for ANPP.

on the other hand it could be that other political heavyweights are trying to use the boko haram situation to cause problem and make it look like a cover up. I STAND TO BE CORRECTED. THIS IS IMO
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Mobinga: 1:24am On Jan 29, 2011
ibb11:

god spread macy 4them&most govmnt shoul chake the responsibiles coz next action

Wtf??

Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by ofala(m): 1:52am On Jan 29, 2011
When will this sort of madness stop!?Which way Nigeria!?
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by mrofficial(m): 1:54am On Jan 29, 2011
Every electing period. These people should seat tight when it's close to elections.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Nobody: 2:05am On Jan 29, 2011
mr.official:

Every electing period. These people should seat tight when it's close to elections.
dont worry.they would soon start importing bullet-proof humvees.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by lastpage: 2:19am On Jan 29, 2011
It is this kind of "senseless" killings that makes "Good People", people that can deliver good government, people that have the fear of God, people that respect human lives, people that value progress, technology and advancement, people that will uphold the "rule of law", people that would obey court judgment, people that would not loot our treasury, people that have invested much in "their own life' and therefore respect the life of others-*-*-*-*

ITS IS THIS KIND OF SENSELESS KILLING THAT MAKES THEM STAY AWAY FROM OUR BLOOD-THIRSTY POLITICS!

Thus we will continue to be ruled by the likes of the baboon from Otta!
I hope he lead a good life while alive, my prayers (or anyone's) cant help him right now shocked cry cry
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by mrofficial(m): 2:32am On Jan 29, 2011
^^ True talk. A politics that you have to bath in corruption, eat inside corruption and work with bloody poloticians.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by MeGaStReEt: 2:55am On Jan 29, 2011
E no quick the guy go baba place, too bad
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by frankaddey(m): 3:08am On Jan 29, 2011
dem don start again,blood shedding.Naija
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by bignaija(m): 4:04am On Jan 29, 2011
the cheap internet browsing packages in nigeria click my blog below
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by bignaija(m): 4:27am On Jan 29, 2011
see this

Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by bignaija(m): 4:59am On Jan 29, 2011
shot dead
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Nobody: 5:08am On Jan 29, 2011
thought:

That is why we all are where you are. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , even in the developed countries you still have assassins. I guess Yorubas are "out of this world" then. This precisely is the crux of the matter in Nigeria, we leave the issue at hand and pursue trivial ethnic allegiances that move the country as a unit no where. The Igbo man is a superstar, the Hausa man is a superstar, the Yoruba man is a superstar and every tribe, yet collectively you can do nothing, . . . . . . . . .See your country. . . . . . . . . ,  ., and while the discussion is about the killed governorship candidate you are more interested in "Jack is more sophisticated than Jill" , This is why Nigeria as a country can never progress, The president of the US has his origin in Kenya, yet he is the president of the US. Not until Nigerians see the next person as a brother notwithstanding his tribe/ ethnicity or religious orientation we would not move forward.

I mean. . . . . . . . . . . . . . I get irritated anytime I see learned people stoop so low when is comes to matters of tribe, . ,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . its a shame,

Whether the man was killed for political reasons, by Boko Haram, OPC, Bakassi Boys, Egbesu, MEND, whatever or whoever, what is certain is that a human being has been killed and this only goes to highlight the failure of the Nigerian State, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .May God help us.

I hope when you all get to heaven you tell God you are a Yoruba or Hausa or Igbo man and should be placed in special areas, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .please enough of all these tribalism trash,

Bro, I could not have said it any better. We need to put aside tribal sentiments for once and think about Nigeria as a country of one people, not a country of yorubas, igbos and huasa. God save us.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Nobody: 5:09am On Jan 29, 2011
THANK GOD SOMEBODY IS FEELING THE IMPACT OF NEGLIGENCE OF DUTY,WHOEVER KILLED THOSE GUYS DIDNT DO WELL BUT AT LEAST PASSED A MESSAGE ACROSS TO ALL-"THE STATE OF INSECURITY IN THE NATION IS EVERYTRIBES EVERYBODY'S BUSINESS.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by otokx(m): 5:54am On Jan 29, 2011
no wonder atiku left the country; ask bola ige? its no use being dead.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Nobody: 6:39am On Jan 29, 2011
Quote from: thought on Today at 12:33:14 AM

That is why we all are where you are. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , even in the developed countries you still have assassins. I guess Yorubas are "out of this world" then. This precisely is the crux of the matter in Nigeria, we leave the issue at hand and pursue trivial ethnic allegiances that move the country as a unit no where. The Igbo man is a superstar, the Hausa man is a superstar, the Yoruba man is a superstar and every tribe, yet collectively you can do nothing, . . . . . . . . .See your country. . . . . . . . . , ., and while the discussion is about the killed governorship candidate you are more interested in "Jack is more sophisticated than Jill" , This is why Nigeria as a country can never progress, The president of the US has his origin in Kenya, yet he is the president of the US. Not until Nigerians see the next person as a brother notwithstanding his tribe/ ethnicity or religious orientation we would not move forward.

I mean. . . . . . . . . . . . . . I get irritated anytime I see learned people stoop so low when is comes to matters of tribe, . , . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . its a shame,

Whether the man was killed for political reasons, by Boko Haram, OPC, Bakassi Boys, Egbesu, MEND, whatever or whoever, what is certain is that a human being has been killed and this only goes to highlight the failure of the Nigerian State, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .May God help us.

I hope when you all get to heaven you tell God you are a Yoruba or Hausa or Igbo man and should be placed in special areas, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .please enough of all these tribalism trash

Thought l can not diagree with u u have said it all
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by xpagnol: 7:36am On Jan 29, 2011
@amicdan

u just said my mind while i waz glancing hence, i think we
better seperate ontime than wasting our God's giving valueable time
to hate one another even amongst us i mean the younger generation
that have tried to preach and effect the change.[b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode] I have lost hope in this entity-am sorry my fatherland.

which way Nigeria,
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by 1025: 7:54am On Jan 29, 2011
P D PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, POWER!
P D PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP, POWER!!
P D AND PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP POWER TO THE KILLERS!!!

in a country where politicians are the richest people, what is wrong in killing or dying to become a politician.
2011 is a defining year in the polity of nigeria.
i will be happy if more of this type of stories will be coming up in hundreds as we near april polls.

it is so sad that these guys just get to power and become very rich without a sweat.
time is ripe now for our prayers to be heard in high heavens.
let there be more killings of this nature.

in sumary, ONE DOWN AND MANY MORE TO GO. WE ARE SERIOUSLY WAITING.

P D PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP POWER!
P D PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP POWER!!
P D AND PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP POWER TO THE CRIMINALS!!!
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by ziccoit: 8:11am On Jan 29, 2011
I want somebody to tell me what makes the soul of a high profile politician or personality more sacred than that of downtrodden people being killed everyday unreported?
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by odyx: 8:21am On Jan 29, 2011
Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, was thrown into chaos yesterday afternoon following the killing of the governorship candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Modu Fanami Gubio, the younger brother of Gov Ali Modu Sheriff and five others by unknown gunmen.

Saturday Sun gathered that Gubio, who was on his way to his father’s house around Shehuri North area, was gunned down by unknown killers when attempting to dole out money to some of his supporters. Sources said the gunmen might have trailed him from the mosque where he had left for his father’s house.

“The men numbering about four came on motorcycles and opened fire on the man when he was attending to some young men who had hailed him when he arrived the area. Everybody there had to run for safety and by the time we came back, we saw the man bleeding profusely,” an eyewitness told the reporter.

Three other persons including the former chairman of Ngala Local Government Area and younger brother of Gov Sheriff, Goni Modu Sheriff, two security agent of the CIB attached to the ANPP gubernatorial candidate were also shot by the gun men while a kolanut seller and an orange seller also met their untimely death in the afternoon shooting.

While the shooting and killing of seven lasted, residents in the area scampered for safety as people closed shops, businesses and ran home. Tension permeated the whole city and by 5.30pm, the busy streets had been deserted. Soldiers and riot policemen took over the city while detectives were reportedly deployed to the area.
Shocked by the sad development, Gov Ali Sheriff quickly summoned the security chiefs in the state to the Government House.

However, one man who incidentally has been consistent on how best to solve the recurring problem of insecurity in the state is Dr. Haruna Yerima. Yerima, a doctor of political scientist, is one of the initiators of the ‘2007 Movement,’ a group of federal lawmakers that saw to the demise of the former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s third term agenda.

Few months ago, he had called on the Federal Government to declare a state of emergency in Borno State, because, according to him, it was the only way peace and security could return to the state which has been under siege by Boko Haram militants in the last five months.
Yesterday, he called Saturday Sun again to reiterate his earlier stance, insisting that his call was consistent with the earlier warning by the militant Islamic group that they would only stop the killings if Governor Ali Modu Sheriff was out of office.

The Islamic militants last year said it would not stop the killings in the state, so long as the governor, Sheriff, remains in power.
The former federal lawmaker, who wants to return to the House on the platform of the CPC, argued that if the state of emergency was declared, the new helmsman would engage the militants, with the hope that peace would return in Borno State.

Yerima noted that he was not speaking as a politician, but as a Borno indigene, desirous for the return of peace in the state, challenging every politician to be ready to make sacrifices by allowing for the election in the state to be shifted by two months or more, in the event that his call was heeded.
Decrying the state of insecurity in Borno, the former university teacher said that free and fair election would not be possible in “an atmosphere of fear and intimidation because right now, campaign is almost impossible in the state because it is in partial curfew.

FULL NEWS FROM SUN NEWS PAPER
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by Eyayomosko: 8:23am On Jan 29, 2011
This is ridiculous.i can't believe it.to me,he died trying to save our country.too bad
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by passionup: 8:32am On Jan 29, 2011
You guys should face the real issues and stop tibalising everything.How does tribe have anything to do in this issue.its pure politics and maybe the Boko Haram angle. The ANPP GOV Candidate was SEN Alii Sheriff's cousin so u guys should get the drift and get hold of your thoughts. Am so ashamed of these gullible Nigerians that beat the drums of ethnic sentiments at every silghtest opportunity.We as a nation will not grow untill we stop this.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by 1025: 8:36am On Jan 29, 2011
This is ridiculous.i can't believe it.to me,he died trying to save our country.too bad

@Eyayomosko,
if that is the case, cld it have been better if those killers came after you since u are not doing anything to save our country? listen to me, what those killers did was a sort of reducing our problems. the death of a politician is a reduction in the numbers of high class criminals.
the more politicians they kill, the lesser our problems.
Killersssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, please more politicians to go down.
these politicians are more heartless than armed robbers.
if only our robers and killers will concentrate on these evil men called politicians, soon u will see a better nigeria.
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by PeeDaVinci: 8:41am On Jan 29, 2011
The root causes of this (listed in order of importance by my opinion) which needs to be addressed are
1)The impression (which is true) that politics/being in govt  is a way to amass great wealth  instantaneously
2)Lack of security
3)Unemployment

Until these are addressed, esp the first one, political assasination will continue
Re: Breaking News : Governorship Candidate Shot Dead. by tyson55(m): 8:48am On Jan 29, 2011
Oh God! When 'll all this sensless killing stop?                                              
On the side note, why is NL full of bigoted tribal planke?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbos, Please Leave The Niger Delta Alone / 2019: Check This Viral Tweet By An Hausa Girl / 6 Reasons Why Sowore Should Be Elected As Next President By Dr Malcolm Fabiyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.