Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Proud To Be 9ja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proud To Be 9ja (931 Views)

Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... / Why I’m Not Proud To Call Buhari My President — Aribisala / Will You Be Proud to fly Nigerian Colour Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 2:43pm On Jan 29, 2011
I think that in the UK, there are 2 main sets of Nigerians, which are namely:

The ‘I was born and raised here’ aka My parents are Nigerian, but I’m British.

The ‘I was born and raised in Nigeria, and only moved to the UK to attend college’

I personally think things have changed a lot since when I got to the UK initially… When I came, I know I experienced a lot of Category 1 peeps that looked at me like they were better than me cos I “supposedly” was running away from naija, and naija was just this terrible place that everyone was running away from. Not everyone in that category did that, but a good number.

Fast forward to 2011, and thanks to media explosion, and all kinds of social networking sites, being Naija Naija is actually cool, and so we all take pride in it, including those born and raised here. Our celebs are now fine babes and fine boyz, and naija now has swag…lol.
I personally don’t look down on anyone, as long as u’re repping… but I have to say I do hate, that statement, My parents are Nigerian but I’m British. Nonsense. Plus don’t call me “fresh off the boat” cos I dey yarn pidgin…lol.
Like someone said, some of the peeps born and raised here and far more interested in naija culture that some of us “immigrants”…lol.
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KHEqJD-Lo&feature=player_embedded#[/flash]
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Krayola(m): 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2011
Naija culture too much!! nothing do us!!
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by blacksta(m): 2:50pm On Jan 29, 2011
smh

what a waste of bandwidth.

is that the best revelation you could find since your arrival in the U.K
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Mcleo007(m): 2:56pm On Jan 29, 2011
I dont know about y'all, but what is there to be proud of as a nigerian. If truly @poster, you're proud of naija, you wont be in the UK. Pls spare us that expression. You and i know better than to be consoling one another.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 3:04pm On Jan 29, 2011
Mcleo007:

I dont know about y'all, but what is there to be proud of as a nigerian. If truly @poster, you're proud of naija, you wont be in the UK. Pls spare us that expression. You and i know better than to be consoling one another.

Anytime i see people like you i weep for my country. Who cursed us to be this foolish, so Americans in 9ja aren't proud of being Americans?
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Mcleo007(m): 3:16pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

Anytime i see people like you i weep for my country. Who cursed us to be this foolish, so Americans in 9ja aren't proud of being Americans?

Try to show respect to someone's comments even though this is a faceless forum. I didn't say anything that is oblivious to any Nigerian, or something stupid that should make you weep. If you understand what pride means, then you know that being proud of a rot is the highest display of foolery. How can you be proud of failure? What do you tell/do to a child that fails woefully in school? Pat him/her on the shoulder and say, "keep it up." I only stated the obvious, which is what you and i know. And if you take your time to read through the thoughts of the poster, you'd find out he was relating to some straight schools of thought as obtained outside the shores of nigeria by perspected nigerians. Is that not laughable?
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by EzeUche2(m): 3:18pm On Jan 29, 2011
I think this thread is in the wrong section.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Krayola(m): 3:23pm On Jan 29, 2011
up naija!!!!!
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 3:43pm On Jan 29, 2011
[
Mcleo007:

Try to show respect to someone's comments even though this is a faceless forum. I didn't say anything that is oblivious to any Nigerian, or something silly that should make you weep. If you understand what pride means, then you know that being proud of a rot is the highest display of foolery. How can you be proud of failure? What do you tell/do to a child that fails woefully in school? Pat him/her on the shoulder and say, "keep it up." I only stated the obvious, which is what you and i know. And if you take your time to read through the thoughts of the poster, you'd find out he was relating to some straight schools of thought as obtained outside the shores of nigeria by perspected nigerians. Is that not laughable?

Mr Man whether you like it or not you are a Nigerian, Simple. Be proud. I am sure you are one of those people that deny their parents because of poverty. The Germans after World War 2 didn't have anything thing to be proud of but there were. Today from rubble, Germany is the biggest economy in Europe. The Jews were ones slaves, yes there were our (Africans), There were ones subdued by Neb but then there were always proud to be a Jew. They were never ashamed of celebrating the Passover. Today, we see them as the most intelligent people in the world and the only race that as existed from time as we know it. So my Brother stop laughing and start doing something no matter how small. You can start by at least telling people there is hope
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by buzugee(m): 3:47pm On Jan 29, 2011
nothing do you mate. carry go. cheers luv
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 3:54pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by tpia6: 3:58pm On Jan 29, 2011
/
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by spyder880(m): 4:02pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

Well, if you`re fresh off the boat then you`re fresh off the boat, are you not?

So that makes him inferior to you? Get over that insecure feeling, its not too late to learn.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by buzugee(m): 4:05pm On Jan 29, 2011
spyder880:

So that makes him inferior to you? Get over that insecure feeling, its not too late to learn.
top of the morning to you mate grin
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Afam4eva(m): 4:08pm On Jan 29, 2011
The only sector that's working in this country is the entertainment sector. It's now cool to be associated with Nollywood and the Nigeria music industry. But other sectors have failed woefully.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by buzugee(m): 4:10pm On Jan 29, 2011
afam4eva:

The only sector that's working in this country is the entertainment sector. It's now cool to be associated with Nollywood and the Nigeria music industry. But other sectors have failed woefully.
i hear the political sector and oyel bunkering sector is booming too
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by tpia6: 4:10pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

tpia*:

@ spyder and where in my own post did you see the word inferior. If you personally feel inferior, then find ways of dealing with your issues.

my brother you dont need to see inferior anywhere. Your off the boat statement is clearly derogatory.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 4:29pm On Jan 29, 2011
tpia*:

i am also sure you are one of the sellouts we have in this country,  people that think because they do not blow ‘schwi schwi‘ phonetics they are second class citizens
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by tpia6: 4:36pm On Jan 29, 2011
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Mcleo007(m): 5:22pm On Jan 29, 2011
gohome:

[
Mr Man whether you like it or not you are a Nigerian, Simple. Be proud. I am sure you are one of those people that deny their parents because of poverty. The Germans after World War 2 didn't have anything thing to be proud of but there were. Today from rubble, Germany is the biggest economy in Europe. The Jews were ones slaves, yes there were our (Africans), There were ones subdued by Neb but then there were always proud to be a Jew. They were never ashamed of celebrating the Passover. Today, we see them as the most intelligent people in the world and the only race that as existed from time as we know it. So my Brother stop laughing and start doing something no matter how small. You can start by at least telling people there is hope

Well, what can i say other than that each one is equal to his opinions. Thanks for the counter-comments anyway!
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 3:19pm On Jan 30, 2011
Mcleo007:

Well, what can i say other than that each one is equal to his opinions. Thanks for the counter-comments anyway!

nice 1
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 30, 2011
I always say that I'm a Nigerian even thou i got this awkward expression.I don't care since Nigeria is not the no1 most corrupt country in the world.Yes,I'm a Nigerian no story that my mum or father ,
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 7:05pm On Feb 01, 2011
blacksta:

smh

what a waste of bandwidth.

is that the best revelation you could find since your arrival in the U.K

bros na fight
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by chosen04(f): 7:32pm On Feb 01, 2011
The best way to prove that you are truely proud of the curse called niGERia is to come back and parttake in the suffering. Its eariler to claim ''i love 9ja'' when you are not involved in witnessing the hopelessness of the situation in the country.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 02, 2011
chosen04:

The best way to prove that you are truely proud of the curse called niGERia is to come back and parttake in the suffering. Its eariler to claim ''i love 9ja'' when you are not involved in witnessing the hopelessness of the situation in the country.
[/quDo you want him to relocate to Jos?
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Pweety4me(f): 2:37am On Feb 12, 2011
gohome:

I think that in the UK, there are 2 main sets of Nigerians, which are namely:

The ‘I was born and raised here’ aka My parents are Nigerian, but I’m British.

The ‘I was born and raised in Nigeria, and only moved to the UK to attend college’

I personally think things have changed a lot since when I got to the UK initially… When I came, I know I experienced a lot of Category 1 peeps that looked at me like they were better than me cos I “supposedly” was running away from naija, and naija was just this terrible place that everyone was running away from. Not everyone in that category did that, but a good number.

Fast forward to 2011, and thanks to media explosion, and all kinds of social networking sites, being Naija Naija is actually cool, and so we all take pride in it, including those born and raised here. Our celebs are now fine babes and fine boyz, and naija now has swag…lol.
I personally don’t look down on anyone, as long as u’re repping… but I have to say I do hate, that statement, My parents are Nigerian but I’m British. Nonsense. Plus don’t call me “fresh off the boat” cos I dey yarn pidgin…lol.
Like someone said, some of the peeps born and raised here and far more interested in naija culture that some of us “immigrants”…lol.
I totally agree with this, but i won't say they r necessarily more intrested, they are just more involved & in tune with their backgrounds & culture u can't hate on that. smiley
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by Obiagu1(m): 3:57am On Feb 12, 2011
chosen04:

Thank you.

I've noticed that Yorubas are more Nigerian than others. They so much love Naija.
Igbos, lol. Personally I resent that name Nigeria but have no other form of identification. Ok, I'm Nigeria but I'm Igbo and Biafran.
Re: Proud To Be 9ja by gohome: 9:55pm On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Thank you.

I've noticed that Yorubas are more Nigerian than others. They so much love Naija.
Igbos, lol. Personally I resent that name Nigeria but have no other form of identification. Ok, I'm Nigeria but I'm Igbo and Biafran.

you are wrong, Igbos to me are?

(1) (Reply)

There Will Never Be Conflict Between What I Am Doing And The Church - Bakare / Tinubu, Ribadu Battle Over Running Mate / Sanusi Rejects IMF Advice To Devalue Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.