Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

How Do I Handle My Landlord?? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? (32800 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / My Landlord And I / How Do I Handle My Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by alphaRego01(m): 3:35pm On Jun 29, 2020
If u are a lady,just seduce him.thank me later
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chukwuibuipob: 3:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld sad,follow veave .Dnt allow anybody to derail/confuse u to do something stewpid.Leave the house if u can now

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jun 29, 2020
I don't need anything to tell me it's a youruba landlord. Thank your God Say no be youruba landlady
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by maiquel: 3:40pm On Jun 29, 2020
Shebi its Nigerian landlord, they don't joke with money... once they hear money their ears will rise like German Shepherd.

Tell him you want to repair the roof and remove the amoun from your next rent, he won't ignore you.

~~~~~~~

That said,
If you're serious about mining, check and click my signature. Make yourself believe it'll work out before signing up. If you sign up, I can make your mining faster with simple tips....
wink

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:
Hello everyone... please advice me.

My landlord is ignoring me.

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.
I have been experiencing this issue since the rain started this year.

And this man doesn't give a damn about it.

When it rains everywhere will be soaked.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??

Your problem is simple. Get a lawyer to write him a letter of demand. Your lawyer should be able to find facts within your story to hit him with fraudulent misrepresentation of facts. Fraudulent misrepresentation of facts with an intent to deceive is both criminal and civil prejudice. I won't advise you to pursue the criminal aspect, it's a long lonely road. Pursue the civil aspect.

Your counsel should be able to request for the balance of the outstanding rent including damages for breach of contract. I do hope you executed a tenancy agreement. If you did, better. If you did not, you can still pursue your case.

But before you write, ensure you have enough evidence in the form of videos and pictures of exactly what happens whenever it rains. It will be good if have evidence of the rain disturbing your sleep when it rains at night. This will allow you to claim emotional and psychological damages grin Put all these together and send with your letter.

If you would love to remain in the apartment for any reason whatsoever if the problem is fixed, and you can afford to fix it, simply state in your letter that if he does not act within 72hrs, you will proceed to fix it by yourself and convert the expenses into the rent. This will automatically extend your rent by a couple of months. But ensure you keep all your receipts for expenses made. If he does not accept the balance rent at the end of the tenor, you should sue him and pay the balance into the account of the registrar of the court. Whenever he needs his money, he will collect it from the court.

I don't know him ooo but if what you are saying is true, then he is a madman. We Africans like to treat our fellow Africans like a piece of shit, but we expect others to treat us like kings.

How is that even possible? I have so many properties I manage, and I have alot of landlord as clients. But I will never support any when they are wrong. Let's always tell ourselves the honest truth. Do you give a property you won't stay with your family to another person out of greed? Ensure its fit for purpose.

You can pm me if you need any assistance.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by lomprico(m): 3:44pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??

propose to him that u will fix it and the cost shld be deducted from your next rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

I have done the accessment....it will take up more than a year's rent.
Are you kidding me?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chatinent: 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
A cruel world. Just do it yourself, one day he'll come ask for rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Ninobraw(m): 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
That's how I do my landlord, after fixing it for 10k I told him 25k, we minus it from the rent, later on the protector was having issue and the gates I fix it up with 28k I told him 60k, after much argument that why didn't I price I was like oh he didn't accept and I love it works cause it neat bla bla, trust me once there is issue in the house he run to fix it up, cause I told other tenants the tricks, now the bole hole was having issue before 2days he ran to fix it up if it was then he will not even send, this life now sense everything be,

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by alllivesmatter(m): 3:53pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

grin grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by money121(m): 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
Ok
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by oluwaahmed: 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
layzie:

If it's just roof leakage, then your assessment is suspect. The highest u can use is a sheet of roofing sheet, that's if the section of roof is pulled out, the workmanship. How can that equate to a full year rent?

Do you know if she's living in face me I face you?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Raypeckson(m): 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2020
Katier00:
shebi na u go give am the money abi?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by adeshina86: 3:57pm On Jun 29, 2020
Fix all thats leaking...but ensure u get receipts for all that...minus it from ur rent and present to him when its time to pay rent.....shikena
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by barrwebilor(m): 3:59pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

That will amount to malicious damage thus making the already tensed situation worse. There are avenues/channels for addressing such grievances. Never u take laws into your hands. You will certainly loose and regret such an act.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by dingbang(m): 4:00pm On Jun 29, 2020
barrwebilor:

That will amount to malicious damage thus making the already tensed situation worse. There are avenues/channels for addressing such grievances. Never u take laws into your hands. You will certainly loose and regret such an act.
english

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Ibkay32(m): 4:05pm On Jun 29, 2020
nikkypearl:
Try and fix whatever is wrong with your money,get a receipt for it ,and deduct it from your next house rent!!
Thank me later...some Landlords are just mad!

I’m drawn in by your warm, intelligent comment, I like how your spur-of-the-moment ideas keep me on my toes. I can’t take my eyes off the beauty you radiate with that beautiful skin..I will b glad if u can welcome to ur DM beautiful
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by roladex(f): 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house. Not just a hole..holes...
.useless and wicked landlord

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by OgaRico(m): 4:13pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

If he keeps forming deaf to your complains,go to the nearest Civil Defence Office and inform them about your problem and they will summon the man so that the problem will be look into.
Don't go to the Police no matter the man's refusal about your complain. Civil Defence are the ones in charge of house related issues.
This info will cost you only 10 pounds.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by fkj950ax(m): 4:17pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Write a letter to him detailing the leaping roof and the problems of not getting it fixed.

If he doesn't collect the letter. Out it under his door and take a photo. Make sure date shows or buy a newspaper of that day and place beside it for the photo.

Go ahead and fix the leak.
Deduct the entire sum from your next rent. When he ask for balance, give him the receipts used in fixing the roof.

The law demands a house being rented out must be habitable. You will win the case.

Just know that will be your last rent in that property. He will want you out of the place
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by fkj950ax(m): 4:18pm On Jun 29, 2020
OgaRico:

Civil Defence are the ones in charge of house related issues.

You say?

This is not true at all.
Civil what?

Where in the law is this Sir/Madam
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2020
Have a signed agreement before doing anything.
nikkypearl:
Try and fix whatever is wrong with your money,get a receipt for it ,and deduct it from your next house rent!!
Thank me later...some Landlords are just mad!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by OgaRico(m): 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2020
bigGBOLA:
repair it or pack na. useless tenant
Hahahahahaha.
I swear, you na yeye somebody o. So if na your sister na so you go call her names?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by okine4real: 4:23pm On Jun 29, 2020
Ninobraw:
That's how I do my landlord, after fixing it for 10k I told him 25k, we minus it from the rent, later on the protector was having issue and the gates I fix it up with 28k I told him 60k, after much argument that why didn't I price I was like oh he didn't accept and I love it works cause it neat bla bla, trust me once there is issue in the house he run to fix it up, cause I told other tenants the tricks, now the bole hole was having issue before 2days he ran to fix it up if it was then he will not even send, this life now sense everything be,

I think your landlord didn't built your house by himself, either someone helped hinm built or may be he inherited the house. Price of almost everything regarding my house dey my head. If something spoil, and may be youbsay you won fix am, if you over bill me, i will know. If fact i get like four different sets of better brick layer for hand. Casement window people i get like 2 guys, carpenter like 4 sets. People when they sell iron rode for orile i get there phone no, people when they sell granite i get am plenty. People when dey sell confirm dredging sand i get am, mind you dredging sand is of different types, some dredging dont have what we call stones, so if you want better dredging sand when get better stones, i get there phone no lol. Well that serves the landlord sha, because since he refused to repair his house, he created a loop hole for his tenants to open office for him head. I always advice any landlord I know, first don't be greedy, secondly collect huge rent so you can always have money for repairs.

Cheers
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by OgaRico(m): 4:24pm On Jun 29, 2020
fkj950ax:

You say?

This is not true at all.
Civil what?

Where in the law is this Sir/Madam
Na personal experience I dey talk from.
I strongly believe you don't even have an idea about what Civil Defence is for. Ask around about what Civil Defence does.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Encash(f): 4:24pm On Jun 29, 2020
Arrest him. Allow him to enter your house.allege something is missing.worth 200k. That is arson.Or allow him cease your property. Arrest him for stealing. Or let him threaten you. Arrest him for arrest to live. Or let him padlock your house.... contact me.

Well guys hustle and join me rejoice oooo .I have earned again.

You are welcome to G free. You are paid to sign up,do a few task .The Best legit site I have ever seen
Click the link below to sign up
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by do4luv14(m): 4:27pm On Jun 29, 2020
From your write up, you are the one at fault,

before you paid and pack in, you should had check the roof, if its what you can do with your money good, ..

But if its more than what you can do, you ask him to fix it, before paying, and packing in

furthermore, its you duty to now look after the room as a tenent

Mama4dworld:

I actually can't afford it.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by ofiko123(m): 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2020
Manage till when your rent expires then look for another house..

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by UCMax1: 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Dragg my weed while i read comments
Your head dey dia! With cold bottle of heinekein
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by okine4real: 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Also for those saying he should repair the roof and deduct the cost from his rent, or OP should meet a lawyer to write to the landlord.. You guys think the landlord is a fool? If you threaten the landlord or someone like me with such, then mine lawyer would write you, informing you that, since you saying the roof is leaking, then I would give you a quit notice, indicating that the quit notice is for me the landlord to do a proper maintainance in my house, but if you choose to stay and repair the room, its going to be at your own cost.

Know court would punish me for giving you a quite notice because my reasons would be justified. So OP thread with caution.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by benueman1(m): 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??
I can help out as a lawyer, we write to him to repair leakage within two, failure to do so you shall repair it and deduct the cost from your next rent.., once your landlord see a lawyers letter he will know you are not joking..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator / Important Checks To Make Before Renting An Apartment / House Rent In This Country Is Nothing To Write About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.