Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

How Do I Handle My Landlord?? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? (32861 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / My Landlord And I / How Do I Handle My Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Oyerinde16(m): 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
I'm experiencing something similar, I have made up my mind to endure, once my rent is due, I will use all the dry season in the house without paying then pack out the when raining season is about to start... That's enough compensation for his stupidity...
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by BigBashiru: 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2020
chiommy123:
that is human being for you why will he care when he's not feeling it but you can tell him that you'll repair the roof and take your money from the rent

That's BLACK MAN for you
Not that others are perfect but black man is the WORST in terms of narcissistic self centered behaviour.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by deewhone(f): 8:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:
Hello everyone... please advice me.

My landlord is ignoring me.

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.
I have been experiencing this issue since the rain started this year.

And this man doesn't give a damn about it.

When it rains everywhere will be soaked.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??
If you intend to pay further for another year. You can go ahead and fix it yourself. Deduct the amount u spent from the next rent you paying
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Katier00(f): 8:35pm On Jun 29, 2020
[quote author=Raypeckson post=91202313][/quote]if he can afford it. Read my post peckson head
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chukzyfcbb: 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2020
This is largely dependent on the landlord.
some landlords no dey wan wan repair anythifn
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chukzyfcbb: 8:44pm On Jun 29, 2020
This is largely dependent on the landlord.

some landlords no dey wan wan repair anything atall, but them dey always forget say as house dey leak, the building go dey degrade faster.

So if na something wey u fit do yourself, o boy carry go.
some tenants don't even mention such to landlord coz they fear after repair na Rent Increment.

it's 50/50
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by FahBuLous: 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2020
Please those anyone have a job for me..
I am currently earning 5k per month in my current place of work and its nt even enough to feed talk more of paying bills plus house rent and savings....
I need a qood job that can enable me save for my Computer programming training and i cant see it anywhere thats why I decided to make use of Nairaland....
I am hardworkinq, deligent, trustworthy, punctual, ability to work under pressure, good at adapting and have qood analytic and communication skills, you will never regret employinq me....
I stay in Asaba, Delta state along Asaba/Benin expressway...
Thank you and God bless you....

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by layzie: 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2020
oluwaahmed:

Do you know if she's living in face me I face you?

What we are talking about here is like 20k max. Is it possible for 1 year rent to be less than that? No matter the type of apartment
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by jubrilELsudan: 9:12pm On Jun 29, 2020
JUST SET FIRE TO THE ROOF. HE WILL HAVE NO CHOICE THAN TO FIX IT.

YOU CAN THANK ME LATER.

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by layzie: 9:18pm On Jun 29, 2020
felo812000:
Haaa!!!
Do you know how much he pays as rent?

What we are talking here is about 20k max. Is there any apartment that costs less than that annually?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by chigoizie7(m): 9:54pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??

We are just about entering July, in as much as you will be experiencing discomfort, this is the best time to start looking for another house. And make sure you owe him atleast three months before parking out.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Grateful02(m): 10:07pm On Jun 29, 2020
people sef, if na rent them ko dey like say I keep dstv channel for auto-reminder
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Brymofundzz: 10:18pm On Jun 29, 2020
[quote author=dingbang post=91149369]Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

for him to also knows how it feels
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Passionate1(m): 11:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
If na yoruba landlord. .e get why grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 12:33am On Jun 30, 2020
Send him a text message with an over bloated quotation of how much the fix would cost and add that you have intended to pay while such deductions will be made when yuh are about to renew rents. Also add that ignoring ur text means he has agreed to the terms you have set else he can send his own maintenance team while Yuu foot the bills to be deducted during Renewal or rents. Either ways you win.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by One4me: 12:39am On Jun 30, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Climb the Roof, maybe you will be lucky to fall down and break your spine, idiota.
It is just a leak, a leak in the Roof, that you created a thread for, imagine?
You are not interested in fixing the Roof but wants your "Landlord To Pay"!

Just spoil his house and you will not only be kicked out, you will end up in jail.
Foolish Boy, your mates have bought land and planning to build, you are fixated on how to make your Landlord "PAY"!
Maybe you think he is your size, l pity who born you
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by One4me: 12:40am On Jun 30, 2020
BurnStoner:
Send him a text message with an over bloated quotation of how much the fix would cost and add that you have intended to pay while such deductions will be made when yuh are about to renew rents. Also add that ignoring ur text means he has agreed to the terms you have set else he can send his own maintenance team while Yuu foot the bills to be deducted during Renewal or rents. Either ways you win.

I hope you have a House for him to live because he will be out on the streets, faster than he can imagine. undecided
All these people that have never bought a single Block in life and will be forming James Bond of Housing Unit. grin grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 12:44am On Jun 30, 2020
One4me:

I hope you have a House for him to live because he will be out on the streets, faster than he can imagine. undecided
All these people that have never bought a single Block in life and will be forming James Bond of Housing Unit. grin grin
[s] & what would you rather recommend then grin?[/s] never mind grin grin
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by One4me: 12:44am On Jun 30, 2020
Mama4dworld:

I have done the accessment....it will take up more than a year's rent.

Stop lying! You said it is a Leak or are you going to re-roof the whole house with Gerrad Tiles and Do suspended Cielings ni? shocked
Maybe your House rent is #5,000 sha.
grin grin
Piece of poverty stricken troublemaker, who cant replace one Roofing Sheet to stop a leak.

GTF out of Nairaland joor or an l your Landlord?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 30, 2020
One4me:

Stop lying! You said it is a Leak or are you going to re-roof the whole house with Gerrad Tiles and Do suspended Cielings ni? shocked
Maybe your House rent is #5,000 sha.
grin grin
Piece of poverty stricken troublemaker, who cant replace one Roofing Sheet to stop a leak.

GTF out of Nairaland joor or an l your Landlord?
lmao...Why so mean?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Biggers82(m): 8:16am On Jun 30, 2020
Try and repair it then save money and pack out as you are packing out try and damage the roof again do it very well so that he will repair it
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by trumpcoat(m): 8:54am On Jun 30, 2020
Fix it make sure whatever you buy or spend has a receipt show it to him and deduct it from your next rent
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by DedeNkem: 10:45am On Jun 30, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Fix it, give him a copy of the receipt and deduct it from your rent!

But first of all, inform him before proceeding.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by josite: 10:48am On Jun 30, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

trust me,this may land u in jail.lawyer him or find another house or fix the roof.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by livewithpurpose: 11:18am On Jun 30, 2020
One4me:

You're a big f***l!
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Ninobraw(m): 11:56am On Jun 30, 2020
okine4real:

I think your landlord didn't built your house by himself, either someone helped hinm built or may be he inherited the house. Price of almost everything regarding my house dey my head. If something spoil, and may be youbsay you won fix am, if you over bill me, i will know. If fact i get like four different sets of better brick layer for hand. Casement window people i get like 2 guys, carpenter like 4 sets. People when they sell iron rode for orile i get there phone no, people when they sell granite i get am plenty. People when dey sell confirm dredging sand i get am, mind you dredging sand is of different types, some dredging dont have what we call stones, so if you want better dredging sand when get better stones, i get there phone no lol. Well that serves the landlord sha, because since he refused to repair his house, he created a loop hole for his tenants to open office for him head. I always advice any landlord I know, first don't be greedy, secondly collect huge rent so you can always have money for repairs.

Cheers
he built it himself, he doesn't like repairing his house, he will tell you to do it and deduct it from house rent,
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by PrincewithGod(m): 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2020
veave:
Please call a carpenter to access the leakage. If it's something you can afford just do the patch and move on. Our people say it is where you live that you take care of. I'm all for treating a house you are renting like the house you built yourself. May God keep providing for you.
Good advice!
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by dchikky: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2020
Mama4dworld:

I actually can't afford it.
If you can manage it, till your house rent expire, make sure you pack out during the stunning season s that whosoever that is parking in will demand for the repair. I have a similar experience, my husband even repaired it, but it got to a point, the capentar told him the whole zinc is bad, it's need total change, my hubby meets landlord the man refused, hubby even plead to contribute to it, then get deduction from rent he refused. Finally our rent expired in February we didn't pay, he brought quit notice to threathen us, we told him we have 3months,free to stay, at the expiration we pack out at end of may. The landlord called my husband and was ranting that he didn't tell him the house was leaking, that it has cause him more damages.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Wizzyime(m): 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2020
It's a delicate case. But wait a minute, are u sure u ain't stepped on your landlord's toes directly or otherwise?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by SpecialNwa: 5:50pm On Jun 30, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

sense will not kill you. To God
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by basadenet: 7:20am On Jul 01, 2020
Since you have call his attention to it, for your own interest and that of your family, please go ahead and repair, then claim your refund or deduct it from next rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by blackgold7777(f): 12:26pm On Jul 01, 2020
dingbang:

so na 1 1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Age Should Owning A House Become A Priority? / The Moment 6-Storey Building Collapsed In Banana Island, Lagos (Video) / The Collection Sample Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile For Your Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.