Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

How Do I Handle My Landlord?? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? (32843 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / My Landlord And I / How Do I Handle My Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by IFNOTGOD(m): 4:30pm On Jun 29, 2020
veave:

Toh, start looking for another house then. Biko park out. Just count it as loss. Because once you repair the leaking roof, if you tell them landlord you want to remove it from your rent he will ask you who sent you to repair the house, he will even eject you after all you Don repair house for am. Weigh the two options and choose the lesser loss.

I agree with u.

let d landlord sign a document with u to avoid stories dat touch

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Encash(f): 4:33pm On Jun 29, 2020
Arrest him. Allow him to enter your house.allege something is missing.worth 200k. That is arson.Or allow him cease your property. Arrest him for stealing. Or let him threaten you. Arrest him for arrest to live. Or let him padlock your house.... contact me.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by teemy(m): 4:37pm On Jun 29, 2020
@ Mama4dworld, don't attempt to fix anything without a written and documented agreement. I was once with a lawyer of a landlord who had an issue with his tenant. The tenant had fixed the house to 'his own taste' and said it cost him 100,000 to fix and would be shifting it to the landlord as future rent. The yearly rent of the house was 20,000 cheesy

The lawyer simply said "who send you message?"

The proper procedure is to let the landlord himself access the issue and using his own workmen, you pay the bill and it gets receipted to you or at least a letter acknowledging your deal is drafted. There is a possibility the landlord does not have any funds left - there is no need for a fight on this - but even if you 'help out', do it smartly so it does not come back to bite you.

Should the landlord refuse your offer, let there be a promissory note of a reasonable period of time when it would be fixed (I don't see why he would refuse the offer though). If he reneges, you can proceed with pictures and so on to the conflict resolution department of your local government that will call him with the aim of mediating. The escalation after this is to go to court and claim damages as well as enforce repair work. I hope it does not get to this.

Wishing you well - Teemy

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by arduino: 4:39pm On Jun 29, 2020
veave:
Please call a carpenter to access the leakage. If it's something you can afford just do the patch and move on. Our people say it is where you live that you take care of. I'm all for treating a house you are renting like the house you built yourself. May God keep providing for you.
God bless you.
I painted my former apartment few days to the expiration of my rent and also fixed all known electrical plus plumbing damages. Am all for leaving my landlords house better than I met it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by egworlordor(m): 4:41pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

I have done the accessment....it will take up more than a year's rent.

which kind house you de stay? repair more than rent. is it 30K a year?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by greenguy: 4:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
You live there, so keep waiting for him until all the properties in your house is destroyed.

Over-sense people like you is the reason why Landlords are wicked. I know your type.

Note that this is Nigeria, a lawless country so you'll always be the loser.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Rooneyboy(m): 4:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
nikkypearl:
Try and fix whatever is wrong with your money,get a receipt for it ,and deduct it from your next house rent!!
Thank me later...some Landlords are just mad!
nice advice dear.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Spain007(m): 4:58pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:
Hello everyone... please advice me.

My landlord is ignoring me.

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.
I have been experiencing this issue since the rain started this year.

And this man doesn't give a damn about it.

When it rains everywhere will be soaked.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??

Take him to human rights
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Azurevermillion: 4:58pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

You get sense die
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by comment247: 5:03pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

My house is leaking.... very very badly. I have complained to him on several occasions and he has done absolutely nothing about it.

NB: I moved in during the dry season last year. This is something I wouldn't have known.

What can I do...I really want him to pay for this...it is sincerely not fair...the worst part of everything is...he doesn't care.

What can I do??

Have similar situation in Kano, I hope is not that same house Sha... Bros gather ur money move out. He might not even have the money to fixed it.
Come back and demand for ur balance lata
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by etikaamos(m): 5:05pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:
Climb ontop the roof when he isnt around and create a hole on the zinc on his own side of the house.

lmao, ���
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Pickieox(m): 5:06pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

Thank you...I will seriously consider this option.

But please, make sure you any constituent authority before you take action for posterity sake.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by wman(m): 5:08pm On Jun 29, 2020
This is one of the reasons why people are advised to rent an apartment during rainy season where possible.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by millionboi(m): 5:26pm On Jun 29, 2020
sylve11:
@ op, plenty situations could be the reasons your landlord doesn't want to fix it. He's either indebted, having challenges with finance, having family problems etc. If you ask me, I'd say fix it if you can and place the bill on him by sampling him receipts. Plenty landlord will also tell you that the expenses you made on fixing their own house, is none of their business.. If you can't handle it, pack out. Life is not fair. sad cool
and give him feedback on every move u take
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by mechanics(m): 5:29pm On Jun 29, 2020
Pack out.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by aragon4realz(m): 5:33pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

my advice never look for accommodation in dry season.as for the roof...it's your property that us being destroyed. fix it when you're leaving take it off if you want
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by jackwana(m): 5:40pm On Jun 29, 2020
Timbers:
You get sense die

Really
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 29, 2020
dingbang:

Oga, don't ever try this if you live in Lagos. Trust me, you will do time without the option of fines. Many are still in jail for similar offence.

@OP, sorry please, if he doesn't want you to fix it and you can't afford it, just relocate for your peace of mind.
That's why I encourage people to do property inspection in Lagos. during raining season.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by adedayourt(m): 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

It is terrible to fall into the hands of this kinda landlord and of a truth he won't do anything about it no matter how much u complain.

Repair it urself and out it into writing signed by your lawyer and he's too and the cost ll be offset against next rent circle.
If need be invokve police for their info and know into it.

When next rent comes, close eye like sey u no see am let him shout them u bring out papers.

Otherwise u ll repair it and he still collect his rent all to his advantage
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by aao: 6:05pm On Jun 29, 2020
For starters, your landlord may not have the funds now and may be waiting on the next rent payment to fix it.

Have a discussion with him on substituting the cost from your next rent provided you pay timely too. And fix it.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by frozen70(f): 6:08pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Politely go to him with anyone in the street that gets close to him

Tell him again about the leakage you and I knows he will not respond

Simply wait and hear what he will say, after that, tell him you will look for money to repair it and deduct it from you next rent

Worst case he will increase the rent, it's your choice to stay there or not

Never quarrel with your landlord, just avoid the devil

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by emonis88: 6:11pm On Jun 29, 2020
Since he doesn't want to do anything, see if u can go to arbitration n see if they can make him repair it or a promise that if u do u deduct from ur rent. But he might want to witch hunt u by giving u a quit notice once d money has expired.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by TerrorSquad147: 6:15pm On Jun 29, 2020
veave:
Please call a carpenter to access the leakage. If it's something you can afford just do the patch and move on. Our people say it is where you live that you take care of. I'm all for treating a house you are renting like the house you built yourself. May God keep providing for you.
YOU HAVE PLENTY SENSE

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by bedfordng(m): 6:20pm On Jun 29, 2020
all you have to do is to fix it. you will get the landlord attention when its time to pay house rent by reminding him of the leaked roof you fixed.

some feel they are smart but you can remove the amount you spent before paying. there your landlord will be loyal
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Bahamas95(m): 6:22pm On Jun 29, 2020
Since you said it's up to a year's rent which I find difficult to believe I would advice you pack out then. Most of these landlords are very wicked.

Make God bless our hustle to avoid landlord wahala, dem fit make you do wetin nor dey your mind.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by earnit1: 6:25pm On Jun 29, 2020
really
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by fkj950ax(m): 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2020
OgaRico:

Na personal experience I dey talk from.
I strongly believe you don't even have an idea about what Civil Defence is for. Ask around about what Civil Defence does.

What I strongly don't have an idea about is how Civil Defense has a RESPONSIBILITY that includes Landlord/Tenancy issues.

Your personal experience was an abuse of uniformed officials.

Addendum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_Security_and_Civil_Defence_Corps

Statutory duties
The primary function of the NSCDC is to protect lives and properties in conjunction with Nigeria police.[3] One of the crucial function of the corp is to protect pipelines from vandalism.[4] The agency also involves in crisis resolutions.[5] They protect the country
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by grandstar(m): 6:38pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

I have done the accessment....it will take up more than a year's rent.

Is your house a convertible? Why is it so expensive?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by Poloyanabo2(m): 6:52pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??
Repair it yourself and inform him that you're debiting it from his next house rent.
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by nkypat: 6:55pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??
Repair the house yourself and video the process and send the cost of work to him via WhatsApp.During payment of house rent remove your money
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by abike12(f): 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2020
Mama4dworld:

What can I do??

Is there a cheaper fix that won't cost so much? Just something to patch it and make you comfortable? What area is the house in?
Re: How Do I Handle My Landlord?? by hakeemhakeem(m): 7:46pm On Jun 29, 2020
A year rent what's the dimension of your room a roofing sheet is 2×6 and normal room should be 10×12.you can't use a bundle just hustle and try do it but let him be aware

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Collection Sample Of Stone Coated Roofing Tile For Your Building / Important Checks To Make Before Renting An Apartment / The Moment 6-Storey Building Collapsed In Banana Island, Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.