Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) (4516 Views)

Celebration Of Abia Supreme Court Verdict In Abia Governor's Lodge Abuja (pics) / Wike & Tambuwal Smile At Body Of Benchers Today In Abuja(Pics) / Ambode, Oshiomhole At David Lawal's Thanskgiving Service In Abuja (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 31, 2011
www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/bank-set-ablaze-as-mobile-policeman-kills-pregnant-woman/

Bank set ablaze as Mobile Policeman
kills Pregnant woman
January 31, 2011
News

By Henry Umoru

MPAPE, a suburb in the nation’s Capital
City, Abuja was Monday thrown into
confusion following the shooting to
death of a pregnant woman in front of a
Bank in the area by a mobile policeman.
The police man who shot at the victims
was said to be attached to the bank, just
as the man carried out his action when
the taxi driver refused the order that he
must not make a u-turn in front of the
bank.

According to an eye witness account, an
Abuja coloured taxi had made a u-turn
in front of the bank where a police
officer was controlling traffic at about
7.30am given the high traffic flow at the
time and was stopped by the officer.
The policeman was said to have
confronted the driver and argument
ensued, leading to the officer firing at
the vehicle with the bullet hitting a
pregnant woman on the passenger seat,
while another woman was wounded.

A motor mechanic within the vicinity of
the bank when asked to speak on what
happened and on condition of
anonymity disclosed that irate
passersby on seeing the lifeless body of
the woman had to confront the
policeman who ran away and took
refuge in the bank premises.

This, he said made the mob force their
way into the bank throwing stones and
other objects in the direction of the
bank even as vehicles and other
property within the bank were
destroyed and the bank set ablaze as the
bank workers had to run for their dear
lives.

Relative calm, he said, however returned
when a police team from the Mpape
Police Division and the FCT Police
Command arrived the scene with the
officers shooting sporadically in the air
to disperse the mob. They have since
been joined by the military and the
Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps
(NSCDC).

Speaking on the incident, the Police
Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Jimoh
Moshood, Superintendent of Police (SP)
who  claimed that the taxi was trying to
force its way into the bank ’s restricted
area at about 7:30am, said he was first
stopped by the private security guard at
the bank, adding that one of the mobile
policemen attached to the bank had to
intervene by hitting his rifle on the car
in the bid to make the driver leave.

He said further that the Police man
triggered the gun and the bullet hit a
female passenger on the front seat of
the car who died on the way to the
hospital leading to hoodlums and
miscreants within the area to loot and
set the bank on fire before a police
patrol team arrived the scene.

Showing 10 of 22 comments
Sort by Subscribe
by email Subscribe by RSS

Nigeria news media are collaborators
with the corrupt institutions we have in
Nigeria.
A two or more lives were lost and yet
Vanguard Newspaper cannot name the
bank because of advert revenue.
Vanguard you have failed in your duty
to the public.
Zenith Bank was the bank involved. May
the woman and her unborn baby(ies)
rest peace.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 31, 2011

I am not in the habit of commenting
about news in Nigeria but this particular
news and the way the so called police
public relation officer puts the murder
of an innocent woman chills me to the
bone. I am totally appalled that people
that we use our taxes and revenue to
employ can murder with impunity and a
silly public relation officer will want to
con us by stating that a rifle butt was hit
on the car thereby discharging a bullett.
I think the police really need reformation
starting from their public relation
officer!!
13 people liked this.

That's why i am happy the people
set the bank ablazed. A pity the
policeman was not roasted inside.
Justing reading the comment from
the so called pubic relation my ass
officer, i say kudos to the masses
who took justice into their hands.
1 person liked this.

Every day killing of innocent citizens for
selffish reason.,nigerian police men are
killers.i pray that the soul of the
departed rest in peace
9 people liked this.

From the trigger-happy hoodlum in
police uniform to the idiotic PR man who
thinks his duty is to concoct stupid tales
to defend the indefensible, ALL of them
deserve to be served their own
"accidental " discharges !!
With "police" officers like these to
"protect" us, we are probably safer with
armed robbers !! Nauseating, really
nauseating,
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by EzeUche2(m): 12:03am On Feb 01, 2011
This is very disgusting!
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by kcjazz(m): 12:10am On Feb 01, 2011
And people come here to say Nigerians don't protest like Egypt and Tunisia as if that is the issue.

When angry mobs burn down a bank, that there is hard core protest
When they lynch a petty thief, they are protesting at governments inability to secure them
When irrespective of a curfew, people still come out to fight their neighbors, that is a message to the government

etc
The question is, what is the government doing?

See pictures http://www.saharareporters.com/news-page/angry-mob-set-zenith-bank-abalze-over-police-shooting
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by EzeUche2(m): 12:11am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^

Nigerians don't really protest.

They riot!
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Nobody: 12:12am On Feb 01, 2011
The politicians can run to Abuja if they want but they should never think they'll always be safe there. If they continue plundering Nigeria, the same ugliness they don't want to see will find them.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by jumobi1(m): 12:14am On Feb 01, 2011
Don't we have police? Military is over-involved in internal security matters.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by kcjazz(m): 12:20am On Feb 01, 2011
jumobi1:

Don't we have police? Military is over-involved in internal security matters.

Well a police man started the whole drama, and it took the IG of Abuja to stop the situation. This happens quite often, trigger happy policeman always showing themselves but today was a bad day at the office
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by oderemo(m): 12:22am On Feb 01, 2011
not only disgusting but absurd, well this is the state of nigeria security .
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by jumobi1(m): 12:30am On Feb 01, 2011
ikay88:

Relative calm, he said, however returned
when a police team from the Mpape
Police Division and the FCT Police
Command arrived the scene with the
officers shooting sporadically in the air
to disperse the mob. They have since
been joined by the military and the
Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps
(NSCDC).

kcjazz:

Well a police man started the whole drama, and it took the IG of Abuja to stop the situation. This happens quite often, trigger happy policeman always showing themselves but today was a bad day at the office

That's what I meant
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Abagworo(m): 12:35am On Feb 01, 2011
Pix

Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by ASL33: 12:48am On Feb 01, 2011
Tot i read somewhere that police and the likes are banned from bank premises. Too many things are wrong in Nigeria.
Spiling blood everywhere as if its water.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by udezue(m): 1:10am On Feb 01, 2011
I hope the police man was roasted to death inside the bank. Thumbs up to the people who took matters in their own hands.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Abagworo(m): 1:12am On Feb 01, 2011
This is just a tip of the iceberg.If the FG refuses to address poverty,sooner or later there might be massive looting of banks across the Nation.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by aljharem(m): 1:33am On Feb 01, 2011
udezue:

I hope the police man was roasted to death inside the bank. Thumbs up to the people who took matters in their own hands.

animal sad sad sad sad smh
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by ekubear1: 1:51am On Feb 01, 2011
Mob justice in Nigeria is pretty scary.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Kilode1: 2:04am On Feb 01, 2011
This is so sad, a woman with her baby? just too sad

I'm sure a bank worker who laboured to save for months or years to buy a used vehicle probably lost it too.

There are no winners here, except the looters who refused to adequately train the Nigerian police, build good roads and ensure adequate safety and justice for my people.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by udezue(m): 2:06am On Feb 01, 2011
AljHarem, I'm Igbo and you are Kanuri. Please between me and you who will get admitted into a zoo and exhibited? You so find a better word like Freedom fighter. Cheers
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by honeric01(m): 2:09am On Feb 01, 2011
Uhmm, so the woman is gone?

The bank can be replaced, the cars can be replaced (CBN is there to dole out cash as insurance i guess) angry angry angry angry

But who's going to replace the woman and her baby? cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Freewilly(f): 2:31am On Feb 01, 2011
What about the taxi driver that made the U turn in front of the bank. I'm sure there were signs in front of the bank that said NO U TURN, the taxi driver should be held responsible too. Nigerians need to learn to obey traffic laws, no wonder there are traffic jams in Nigeria all the time. It's very unfortunate that the pregnant woman lost her life for nothing, but that taxi driver was at fault too.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by honeric01(m): 2:38am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^

WHEN DID MAKING U-TURN IN FRONT OF A BANK BECOME PUNISHABLE BY GUN SHOTS? EVEN BY KILLING?
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Freewilly(f): 2:47am On Feb 01, 2011
I never said the punishment for making a u turn in front of a bank is gun shots dear, our police men should learn not to discharge their firearms for every little thing. But this is Nigeria and we know how incompetent our police force is. Sometimes it's just best to follow the law and afford those crazy untrained police men.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by honeric01(m): 3:15am On Feb 01, 2011
Whether taxi made a U-turn oo, or not, SHOOTING IS NOT THE ONLY OPTION left, can't the stoopid cop take the key from the driver? can't he deflate the Tyre of the taxi?

For God's sake, life's got no duplicate madam, just imagine you were the woman in that taxi? just imagine.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by raycomray: 5:08am On Feb 01, 2011
I GOT THE NEWS ON CHANNELS TV YESTERNIGHT. THIS IS TERRIBLE!
I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IT THAT POWER LIES WITH THE PEOPLE. NIGERIANS SHOULD COME OUT EN MASSE TO PROTEST AGAINST THE NIGERIAN POLICE AND POLITICIANS ALIKE. OTHERWISE, WE SHALL REMAIN IN THIS LIMBO FOREVER. LET US TAKE A CUE FROM TUNISIA AND EGYPT
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by GAR3TH(m): 5:48am On Feb 01, 2011
This is sad, may the Woman rest in peace.

But why did the Mob burn the bank and the cars? what do you gain from rioting and destroying other peoples property? Some times I wonder how people reason. Yes a person died, but it doesnt give you permission to destroy property.

In addition the taxi drive should also be held accountable
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by asha80(m): 5:53am On Feb 01, 2011
GAR3TH:

This is sad, may the Woman rest in peace.

But why did the Mob burn the bank and the cars? what do you gain from rioting and destroying other peoples property? Some times I wonder how people reason. Yes a person died, but it doesnt give you permission to destroy property.

In addition the taxi drive should also be held accountable

well the mopol man ran into the bank when he killed the woman.the mob demanded that the bank brings out the mopol which the bank refused to do.what happened next was simply irate anger.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by superboi(m): 7:38am On Feb 01, 2011
raycomray:

I GOT THE NEWS ON CHANNELS TV YESTERNIGHT. THIS IS TERRIBLE!
I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IT THAT POWER LIES WITH THE PEOPLE. NIGERIANS SHOULD COME OUT EN MASSE TO PROTEST AGAINST THE NIGERIAN POLICE AND POLITICIANS ALIKE. OTHERWISE, WE SHALL REMAIN IN THIS LIMBO FOREVER. LET US TAKE A CUE FROM TUNISIA AND EGYPT
Maybe if you burn your self that would trigger the revolution
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by bencobenz(m): 8:00am On Feb 01, 2011
Police-Animals in uniform.
The mob should have killed about 5 policemen within vicinity instead of burning the bank and the cars.
May the soul of the woman and her unborn baby(ies) rest in peace and to her family, the strength to bear
the loss.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by marcus1234: 8:01am On Feb 01, 2011
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Bishopking: 8:29am On Feb 01, 2011
I get pertubed whenever I read this sort of story! I mean really disturbed!!

Why on earth would a citizen (in this case the taxi driver) refuse to heed the policeman's instruction? The policeman could be doing his duty well up to that moment! It is every citizen's duty to obey the law. For security reason, drivers are simply NOT allowed to make U-turn at certain places.

Now, the Nigerian police have proved once again that they are simply incompetent. A policeman had no RIGHT to slay anybody. If he should shoot at all, was he not trained on how to aim and bring down his TARGET? This act of misfiring and not get the 'target' shows the decay in the police force. It simply means that guns are just given to whever they deem fit. Now, do the police have a Training department? If they do, then, some heads MUST roll. Is there any Commisioner of Police in FCT? If yes, He MUST resign over THIS!!

Now to average Nigerians, It is about time we realize that we are all stakeholders in this project called NIGERIA. We should always obey the law. This makes life easy for ourselves and the next person. We should always display respect for human life.

To the leaders, I would like to advise that they should always aspire to make life easy for the common man by provising for infrastructure. I do not see why a driver will be doing a U-turn if the roads are well linked. I do not see why there should be too many guns on our streets if the Government is functioning. I do not see why Abuja should be the looter's paradise that they always want to guide without paying atention to other places.

To the pressmen, you should know you have professional duty to report situation as the ethics of your job demand. STOP being the 'thieving' politicians' and corrupt officers' dogs. See your profession as a 'calling' from God. Do not push people into killing journalists and burning press houses. Okay?
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 01, 2011
superboi:

Maybe if you burn your self that would trigger the revolution
Despite the tragedy involved in the instant case, one can't help but apprehend the sardonic humour in this statement. LOL.

@ Topic

This is terrible, and since this sort of thing happens time and time again in our city streets all over Nigeria, it is obvious that police and military men in this country are incorrigible, and would remain threats to the rest of soceity on a perpetual basis.

The thing however, is for us all to be armed with discretion at all times. If a trigger happy cop or soldier wants to show his 'superiority' in any sort of way, it is best to humour him by charmingly disarming him with your conciliatory manner and 'obedience' while you try to leave the scene as quickly as possible. All this 'I know my right' kind of stubbornness displayed by some indiscreet members of the public in dealing with hungry, probably drunk, ill-motivated, blood-thirsty and ultimately uncivilized men in uniform often leads to disastrous consequences. Discretion, as they say, is the better part of valour. Had the taxi driver simply said, "ah my oga no vex oh, na dis yeye go-slow I dey try avoid oh, and my fuel don almost finish, I take God beg you abeg", the fragile ego of the policeman would have almost certainly been placated and the poor woman would still be alive today. Unnecessary confrontation -especially with an unarmed man, is always counterproductive. It is sad all the same. My heart goes out to the unfortunate innocent woman and her unborn baby.
Re: Mopol Man Shoots Pregnant Woman To Death In Abuja (Pics Courtesy of Abagworo) by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 01, 2011
Bishopking:

I get pertubed whenever I read this sort of story! I mean really disturbed!!

Why on earth would a citizen (in this case the taxi driver) refuse to heed the policeman's instruction? The policeman could be doing his duty well up to that moment! It is every citizen's duty to obey the law. For security reason, drivers are simply NOT allowed to make U-turn at certain places.

Now, the Nigerian police have proved once again that they are simply incompetent. A policeman had no RIGHT to slay anybody. If he should shoot at all, was he not trained on how to aim and bring down his TARGET? This act of misfiring and not get the 'target' shows the decay in the police force. It simply means that guns are just given to whever they deem fit. Now, do the police have a Training department? If they do, then, some heads MUST roll. Is there any Commisioner of Police in FCT? If yes, He MUST resign over THIS!!

Now to average Nigerians, It is about time we realize that we are all stakeholders in this project called NIGERIA.[b] We should always obey the law.[/ ] This makes life easy for ourselves and the next person. We should always display respect for human life.

To the leaders, I would like to advise that they should always aspire to make life easy for the common man by provising for infrastructure. I do not see why a driver will be doing a U-turn if the roads are well linked. I do not see why there should be too many guns on our streets if the Government is functioning. I do not see why Abuja should be the looter's paradise that they always want to guide without paying atention to other places.

To the pressmen, you should know you have professional duty to report situation as the ethics of your job demand. STOP being the 'thieving' politicians' and corrupt officers' dogs. See your profession as a 'calling' from God. Do not push people into killing journalists and burning press houses. Okay?
I blamed the policeman that killed an innocent woman and, also the taxi driver that disobeyed a simple order.Nigerian banks are devised that law to check the incessant bank robbery attacks and I see no reason why a taxi driver should defile such law knowing fully well that most of the robbers operate with taxis.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The North's Desperation To Link Boko Haram To Igbos / GEJ's Transformational Trains Conveying People To Their Homes Today For Xmass / Who Is Maj.-gen. Babagana Monguno (rtd.) – The New National Security Adviser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.