Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,412 members, 7,861,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:26 AM

I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers (742 Views)

I Don’t Know Where Your Daughters Are, Buhari ‘tells’ Chibok Parents, BBOG Group / We Don’t Need Foreign Aid – Buhari(vanguard) / We Don’t Need A Violent Minister – Group Chides APC. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aloyemeka1: 2:14am On Feb 01, 2011
[size=14pt]I don’t need your votes, Akunyili tells fake drug dealers[/size]
News
Jan 31, 2011

By VINCENT UJUMADU
FORMER Minister of Information and Communications and senatorial candidate of All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, for Anambra Central in the April 2011 election, Professor Dora Akunyili, has said that fake drug dealers who are allegedly threatening to deny her their votes during the forthcoming election for her role as the Director-General of the National Agency for Food, Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, were wasting their time.

Since picking the ticket of APGA for the zone, comprising Anaocha, Dunukofia, Njikoka, Awka North, Awka South, Idemili North and Idemili South local government areas, some of the drug dealers in the commercial town of Onitsha, who reside in the senatorial distrcit, had been bragging that they would use the election as a pay back time for Akunyili who, they alleged, put many of them out of business in her quest to sanitize the nation’s drug market.

But the former NAFDAC boss said in an interview in Awka at the weekend that she did not owe any apology to anybody for what she did as the director-general of NAFDAC, adding that if she had another opportunity, she would even do more, provided it was in the best interest of the nation.

She said: “Those people that I stepped on their toes are criminals and criminals have no power as long as one is doing the right thing. If they had the kind of power they claim, I will not be alive today.

“Sometimes, people ask what of the votes? My response is, I don’t want the vote of a killer. I don’t even need 100 per cent votes to win the election.

“Even at that, the drug counterfeiters know that I did the right thing and some of them that changed from being murderers to being normal human beings appreciated our work. Those of them that have refused to change are too insignificant for me to worry about. I only worry about their remaining in the business and killing our people, not because of the votes I will get from them.

“If I need to change my stand so as to win, then let me not win. I want to say that I want to win, but it is not a must that I must win. It is this I must win attitude that causes election rigging, electoral malpractice and all kinds of vices.

“I want other politicians to embrace that culture of ‘I want to win and not that of I must win’. If it is the will of God and the wish of my people, I will win. Anybody can win, but I want to win so that I can serve my people and give them the kind of representation they have never had before.”

“Some people in the fake drug business felt that because I am Igbo like them, I should overlook certain things. If you are a regulator and you don’t close your eyes to relationships, regulation will collapse.”

Akunyili said further that her near -fanatical attitude on issues concerning Nigeria was due to the fact that the country has given her so much, adding that she would never get tired of serving her.

According to the APGA candidate, her parents never paid school fees throughout her educational career as she was on scholarship from the secondary school to the university, adding “because Nigeria has pampered me so much, I should continue to serve her with all my heart.”

She also said that unlike the belief in some quarters, she started politics at the lowest level, having been a supervisory councilor in her local government area between 1994 and 1996 and later became the coordinator of Better Life for Rural Women before working as the South East zonal coordinator for the Petroleum Trust Fund, PTF,.

Akunyili agreed that politics in Nigeria is murky, but argued that that was what some criminals had used in the past to scare good people from venturing into politics.

“Good people should go into that murky water of politics to salvage the situation. I have decided to go there and Nigerians will see what will happen if God decides and if it is the wish of my people,” she said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/i-dont-need-your-votes-akunyili-tells-fake-drug-dealers/
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by EzeUche2(m): 2:15am On Feb 01, 2011
This woman is shaming Igbo male politicians. I love her tenacity.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Freewilly(f): 2:17am On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^ maybe she's just the right person to lead the revolution you always talking about.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by fstranger1: 2:20am On Feb 01, 2011
Yes you do, dumbo!

After insulting Yorubas, i wonder who will vote for him
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by EzeUche2(m): 2:39am On Feb 01, 2011
Freewilly:

^^^^ maybe she's just the right person to lead the revolution you always talking about.

Well. . . We will see. I have no problem with an Igbo woman leading the charge.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by fstranger1: 2:42am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

Well. . . We will see. I have no problem with an Igbo woman leading the charge.

And what will you be doing?
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Freewilly(f): 2:53am On Feb 01, 2011
That's right EzeUche please come and tell us what you'll be doing, because nairaland propaganda is not going to cut it this time. We need strong courageous men and women to lead this revolution.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aljharem(m): 2:56am On Feb 01, 2011
Freewilly:

That's right EzeUche please come and tell us what you'll be doing, because nairaland propaganda is not going to cut it this time. We need strong courageous men and women to lead this revolution.
my wife

do you mean revolution against nigerian leaders

or

revolution against our igbo leaders undecided
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aloyemeka1: 3:20am On Feb 01, 2011
Apparently, she is not a Naija politician because rule number 1 is get as many votes as you can and rig the rest. What will she gain politically from excommunicating fake drug dealers?. She is obviously mixing up her emotions with politics and the PDP thugs are having a big laugh now. Real politicians invite fake drug dealers, alayes, ritualists, good people, christians, muslims, animists, etc to cast their votes for them.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by fstranger1: 3:24am On Feb 01, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Apparently, she is not a Naija politician because rule number 1 is get as many votes as you can and rig the rest. What will she gain politically from excommunicating [/b]fake drug dealers?. She is obviously mixing up her emotions with politics and the PDP thugs are having a big laugh now. Real politicians invite fake drug dealers, alayes, ritualists, good people, christians, muslims, animists, etc to cast their votes for them.

Why would you use excommunicate in that context?

You Nigerians and your big big grammar, you no go kill person

Excommunicate ko Phantasmagoric ni grin

Olodo Ashawo!

[b]Excommunicate

verb
▸to officially say that someone can no longer be a member of the Roman Catholic Church because they have done something that breaks its rules more,
noun more,

Quick definitions from WordNet (excommunicate)

▸ verb: oust or exclude from a group or membership by decree
▸ verb: exclude from a church or a religious community ("The gay priest was excommunicated when he married his partner"wink
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by EzeUche2(m): 3:27am On Feb 01, 2011
Freewilly:

I will be back in Naija soon enough. Just give me two more years. I do not plan on living in the U.S. Most of my siblings have returned to Naija and my parents currently reside in Naija. I miss home.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aljharem(m): 3:30am On Feb 01, 2011
EzeUche_:

I will be back in Naija soon enough. Just give me two more years. I do not plan on living in the U.S. Most of my siblings have returned to Naija and my parents currently reside in Naija. I miss home.

thank God u are a nigerian wink wink cheesy cheesy cheesy now

good one brother, just come back and develop your country smiley
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aloyemeka1: 3:31am On Feb 01, 2011
fstranger1:

Why would you use excommunicate in that context?

You Nigerians and your big big grammar, you no go kill person

Excommunicate ko Phantasmagoric ni grin

Olodo Ashawo!

Excommunicate
verb
▸to officially say that someone can no longer be a member of the Roman Catholic Church because they have done something that breaks its rules more,
noun more,

Quick definitions from WordNet (excommunicate)

▸ verb:  oust or exclude from a group or membership by decree
▸ verb:  exclude from a church or a religious community ("The gay priest was excommunicated when he married his partner"wink

Apparently, you are too daft to understand. Why waste my time with someone who understands nothing but tribalism?. undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by mamagee3(f): 3:33am On Feb 01, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Apparently, you are too daft to understand. Why waste my time with someone who understands nothing but tribalism?. undecided undecided undecided
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by fstranger1: 3:37am On Feb 01, 2011
aloy/emeka:

I'd have taken you more seriously, if you werent a puccy nor NL chief Tribalist!
grin grin grin grin
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Freewilly(f): 4:52am On Feb 01, 2011
alj harem:

my wife

do you mean revolution against nigerian leaders

or

revolution against our igbo leaders undecided

Ezeuche is the one starting the revolution not me, I'll definitely fellow him on his revolution because he knows what his talking about most of the time and he seems like a very intelligent guy unlike you.

EzeUche_:

Bless your heart, if only 10% of Nigerians in the US especially Igbos have your kind of mindset, our country will be the envy for all.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 01, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Apparently, she is not a Naija politician because rule number 1 is get as many votes as you can and rig the rest. What will she gain politically from excommunicating fake drug dealers?. She is obviously mixing up her emotions with politics and the PDP thugs are having a big laugh now. Real politicians invite fake drug dealers, alayes, ritualists, good people, christians, muslims, animists, etc to cast their votes for them.

True . ,

She probably couldn't control her mouth! undecided
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aloyemeka1: 12:21pm On Feb 01, 2011
Ujujoan:

True . , 

She probably couldn't control her mouth!  undecided

That they tried to assassinate her is not enough justification for becoming emotional. She needs to understand that she is in politics now and it is a big boys game. No women quarreling is allowed for any serious minded politician.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2011
Ujujoan:

True . ,

She probably couldn't control her mouth! undecided
Another campaign strategy by the talkative who always want to be in he news.must she always reply her critics ?
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by MaiSuya(m): 12:38pm On Feb 01, 2011
would it be morally right for her to solicit votes from people whose character she deems unacceptable? does not that not place upon her the burden to fulfil their whims if she eventually succeeds?
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by FrankC3: 1:45pm On Feb 01, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Another campaign strategy by the talkative who always want to be in he news.must she always reply her critics ?

But campaigns are meant to be channeled through the media, otherwise you would not even be known. And besides, it is better than being in the news like Senator Folarin or Senator Ayo Arise.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by aloyemeka1: 3:28am On Feb 02, 2011
Mai Suya:

would it be morally right for her to solicit votes from people whose character she deems unacceptable? does not that not place upon her the burden to fulfil their whims if she eventually succeeds?

Morality in Nigerian politics?. Are you kiddin' me?.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by Kobojunkie: 4:21am On Feb 02, 2011
Ujujoan:

True . , 

She probably couldn't control her mouth!  undecided

I think so too . . . .This is one 'politician' with a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth.
Re: I Don’t Need Your Votes, Akunyili Tells Fake Drug Dealers by 21052011: 4:25pm On Feb 02, 2011
shes like to hell with you drug dealers ha grin grin grin
I pray she wins though
and tries to keep her mouth closed half the time
This woman walks the walk and damns her opponents

(1) (Reply)

Good Heavens! Iran Warships Reach Suez Canal, Israel On Red Alert! / Phones Seized From Abuja Bomb Suspect's Cell / Acn, Cnpp Blast Pdp For Celebrating Bode George’s Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.