Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) (4269 Views)

Igbo vs Northern army generals: How They Met, Married And Coped With Biafra War / Gen Yusuf Appointed New Guards Brigade Commander / HORROR: Boko Haram Shoots Nigerian Army Brigade Commander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by ekubear1: 4:00am On Feb 03, 2011
Chyz*:

I guess everyone has forgotten about the changes that GJ made to the military which will allow more southerners to be recruited.I guess I'm going to have to go and do some digging.BRB cool

Yep, if you find something like that, post it.

If I had it my way, SW military and police would only be folk from that region. . .

Would certainly increase the options, as far as secession goes.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Onlytruth(m): 4:20am On Feb 03, 2011
Posted by: eku_bear

If I had it my way, SW military and police would only be folk from that region. . .

C'mon now! No be like dat na. undecided

But something close ->say 60% local catchment area, 40% other Nigerians, but weapons ->100% local.

Leaders are very sneaky 'y'know. They are not really like the rest of us.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by ekubear1: 4:31am On Feb 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

C'mon now! No be like dat na.  undecided

But something close ->say 60% local catchment area, 40% other Nigerians, but weapons ->100% local.

Leaders are very sneaky 'y'know. They are not really like the rest of us.

What do you mean by weapons 100% local? They are typically stored on site anyway, right?

60% is probably enough to get the job done (as far as flexibility goes), but 100% is even better. I'd rather have 100% of my soldiers be men whose allegiance is unquestionable, rather than 40% that I must watch carefully.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Onlytruth(m): 4:37am On Feb 03, 2011

What do you mean by weapons 100% local? They are typically stored on site anyway, right?

60% is probably enough to get the job done (as far as flexibility goes), but 100% is even better. I'd rather have 100% of my soldiers be men whose allegiance is unquestionable, rather than 40% that I must watch carefully.

Yes, weapons are 100% local (stored on site). The 40% I allocated to "the rest of Nigeria" is not useful to that "rest of Nigeria" in terms of war. Remember that they have to be shared into the different bits and pieces group that make up naija.

What you really need is the weapons. There is always enough manpower to draw from locally when you need to.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Chyz2: 4:44am On Feb 03, 2011
eku_bear:

[size=15pt]Massive shake-up in the Army[/size]

Headlines Sep 24, 2010

GOCs sacked, new Brigade Commander named

The new Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika has effected a major reorganization in the army with the appointment of new Principal Staff Officers, GOC’s, and Commandants of Training Institutions. Also appointed is a new Guards Brigade Commander for the Presidential Villa.
The new Principal Staff officers are Major General OA Akinyemi, formerly Chief of Research and Development, Defence headquarters, now Chief of Policy and Plans, army headquarters.

He takes over from Major General Atofarati, Major General Lawrence Ngubane, formerly the GOC ‘2’ division, Ibadan, is now the Chief of Training and operations, Army headquarters. He takes over from Major General Moses Obi who is Force Commander on United Nations Mission in Sudan.

Major General BS Usara, formerly Director of Physical Training and Sports at Defence headquarters, is now the Chief of Army Standards and Evaluation; Major General BC Azurunwa, formerly Chief of Army Standards is now the Chief of Logistics, Army headquarters, Major General AB Maitama, formerly the Commander, Infantry Corp is now Chief of administration, Army headquarters, Major General US Essien is the new Commander, Training and Doctrine Command.

Also affected in the redeployment is Major General Emeka Onwuameagbu, formerly of the Nigeria Army Peacekeeping Centre, now Commandant of the Nigeria Defence Academy, Kaduna. He takes over from Major General Mahmed Yerima who is now Chief of Training and Operations, Defence headquarters. Major General Cecil Esekhaigbe, the Principal Staff Officer (PGSO) to the minister of Defence, would proceed to London as Nigeria’s Defence adviser at a later date.

The new Guards Brigade Commander is Colonel EJ Atewe, formerly of National Defence College who takes over from Brigadier general Mustapha. A new Commander of the Joint Task Force for Niger Delta ‘Operation Restore Hope’ was also appointed; he is Major General CO Omoregie.

For the General Officers Commanding, Major General Joseph Shoboiki, one time Guards Brigade Commander, is the GOC ‘1’ division. He takes over from Major General Kamaldeen Role. Major General Sarkin Yakin Bello, formerly the Commander, Operation restore hope is the new GOC ‘82’ division, Enugu.

He takes over from Major General Mohammed Isah. Brigadier general Kenneth Minima, formerly the Brigade Commander 1 brigade, Sokoto is the new GOC ‘81’ division Lagos.

Brigadier General MD Abubakar is the General Officer Commanding ‘2’ division, Ibadan. He takes over from Major General Ngubane. Major General SO Idoko, formerly Commander Armoured Corp is now General Officer Commanding ‘3’ division, Jos.

He takes over from Major General Saleh Maina. Brigadier General MA Nasamu is the new Commander, Army Headquarters Garrison, Abuja.

The new Director of military Intelligence is Brigadier General SY Audu, Brigadier General PJ Isang, formerly Commander AHQ Garrison moves to Department of Army Standard and Evaluation as Director,  Major General BT Obasa moves from Defence headquarters where he served as director to NATRAC as the new Commandant. Major General SU Abdukadir formerly Military Secretary, is now chief of Research and Development, DHQ.

Major General AA Olaniyi is moved from NASME to Nigeria Army Corps of Engineers as Commander, Major General AT Umaru, formerly the Director of Military

Intelligence is moved to Defence headquarters as director of administration. Major General Charles Airhiabvere, formerly the Commander, Corp of Finance is moved to NIPSS.

Major General JA Okunbo formerly of Defence headquarters is now Deputy Commandant, Armed Forces Resettlement Centre, Major General Umo formerly Commander, Nigeria Army Signal Corps is redeployed to the Armed Forces Command and staff College as a director

Brigadier General PT Boroh is moved from Army headquarters department of administration to Jaji as the new Commandant, Nigeria Army Peace Keeping Centre. Brigadier General AI Muraina takes over as the Commander, Corp of Army Finance, Brigadier General AB Marwa is the Commander Armoured Corps, and Brigadier General U Buzugbe is the Military Secretary.

Brigadier General AS Agha_Okoro moves from Defence headquarters to Army headquarters as Director of Peacekeeping, Brigadier General JA Ochoga moves from Defence headquarters to 2 Brigade as Brigade Commander.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/jonathan-sacks-goc/
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by ekubear1: 4:48am On Feb 03, 2011
@Onlytruth:

Depends on the weapon. AK-47s can be made pretty cheaply.

Tanks, jeeps, planes, boats, things like that are harder to get.

And training also requires some time and investment. If you have a bunch of poorly trained soldiers even armed to the teeth, they'll be slaughtered by probably even 1/2 or 1/4 of their number well-trained soldiers.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by EzeUche2(m): 4:48am On Feb 03, 2011
Chyz,

I see plenty of Igbo names!  shocked shocked shocked

Let us get more of our boys into the military. I know how our people when it comes to the military.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by ekubear1: 4:55am On Feb 03, 2011
@Chyz: Just skimmed through it, but it looks like just a bunch of southerners swapping places with southerners? Least, for the most part.

Also, no mention of changes in rank-and-file.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Onlytruth(m): 5:07am On Feb 03, 2011

@Onlytruth:

Depends on the weapon. AK-47s can be made pretty cheaply.

Tanks, jeeps, planes, boats, things like that are harder to get.

And training also requires some time and investment. If you have a bunch of poorly trained soldiers even armed to the teeth, they'll be slaughtered by probably even 1/2 or 1/4 of their number well-trained soldiers.

Of course they would be hosting HEAVY weapons -tanks, mobile artillery pieces and multiple rocket launchers, etc.

No be AK-47 full for MEND hand? undecided cry

As for the training, that is where the 60% would come in. They will provide the immediate force until others complete their training.

Believe me, if Biafra was heavily armed from DAY ONE, Biafra would have won that war because the first batch of Biafran soldiers were from the top ranks of the Nigerian military, and the first set of volunteers (which usually make the best fighters) died before weapons could get into Biafra.

Weapons remain the key.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by ekubear1: 5:30am On Feb 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

Of course they would be hosting HEAVY weapons -tanks, mobile artillery pieces and multiple rocket launchers, etc.

No be AK-47 full for MEND hand?  undecided cry
I guess it would be easier to assess things if I knew how strong the Nigerian military was. Not sure all of that would be needed, if one were to strike quickly. But I don't have enough information to know. . . definitely wouldn't want to jump in blindly.

As for the training, that is where the 60% would come in. They will provide the immediate force until others complete their training.

Believe me, if Biafra was heavily armed from DAY ONE, Biafra would have won that war because the first batch of Biafran soldiers were from the top ranks of the Nigerian military, and the first set of volunteers (which usually make the best fighters) died before weapons could get into Biafra.

Weapons remain the key.
Indeed. If you'd had an additional 3-4 years to stockpile weapons and soldiers, you'd have been a lot more successful. In that type of situation, I think the best thing to do is to delay, delay, delay until you are as strong as your opponent.

Then again, perhaps this was impossible for Ojukwu to do.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Onlytruth(m): 5:39am On Feb 03, 2011

Indeed. If you'd had an additional 3-4 years to stockpile weapons and soldiers, you'd have been a lot more successful. In that type of situation, I think the best thing to do is to delay, delay, delay until you are as strong as your opponent.

Then again, perhaps this was impossible for Ojukwu to do.

I think it is always about weapons (in case of people who are prepared to fight- like the Igbos and easterners were). It would be unfair to blame Ojukwu because he offered to resign but he was turned down by the Eastern consultative assembly. He knew we were not ready weapon-wise. The circumstance gave him no choice or chance. Damned if he did, hanged if he didn't.

Weapons -which are incidental to military locations- always remain the most important thing (all things being equal) in terms of war.

That is why I welcome this military base. If it is there, it must be equipped. Bottomline.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Dede1(m): 9:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
Mobinga:

lol. I thought I murdered you on the other thread?

By the way NO BATTALION was CAMPED IN ELELE!! angry

What a Moby-di-ck. You are a jackass son of a drooling saboteur.
Re: Northern Army Brigade Established In Igboland (enugu) by Mobinga: 10:24pm On Feb 03, 2011
grin grin grin

So much hate. kiss kiss grin cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

State Of Amukoko, In Lagos State / Nigeria's Military Positions At 36th In The World According To Global Firepower. / Can't Sleep Co's Of Heavy Gun Shooting In Egbeda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.