Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,071 members, 7,828,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

7 Dollar Meal In Naija - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 7 Dollar Meal In Naija (9070 Views)

Afternoon Yam Meal In Atlanta, Ga / 7 Things Not To Do After A Meal / Your First Meal In The New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by KnowAll(m): 1:01am On Feb 03, 2011
Ibadan is still one of cheapest towns Nigeria from renting to eating at a buka. A guy once ate 3 wraps of eba for N10 per wrap, no meat. That is 0.25c for d meal. PH is legendary as the most expensive city in Nigeria.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Nobody: 1:07am On Feb 03, 2011
dayokanu:

You are talking about per plate meals, I am talking about Pay as you go meals
even with pay as you go,you may still end up spending #200 to #300 cuz you may likely eat 2 or more eba.

have you seen how small a wrap can be ?
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Abagworo(m): 1:34am On Feb 03, 2011
KnowAll:

Ibadan is still one of cheapest towns Nigeria from renting to eating at a buka. A guy once ate 3 wraps of eba for N10 per wrap, no meat. That is 0.25c for d meal. PH is legendary as the most expensive city in Nigeria.

Let me break it down.Half kilo of raw chicken goes for 350 Naira.Smallest single onion goes for 50 Naira.A cup of rice,Smallest size of tin tomatoe.This will serve as a meal for two.Do the maths and you will get at least 2.5 dollar for this incomplete diet.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by adconline(m): 1:49am On Feb 03, 2011
how does ur neighbor in village pay for food? i guess there are mr biggs and chicken republic outlets in your village as well? about 60% of Nigerians still live in villages
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Nobody: 1:59am On Feb 03, 2011
adconline:

how does your neighbor in village pay for food? i guess there are mr biggs and chicken republic outlets in your village as well? about 60% of Nigerians still live in villages
people spend less in villages because they produce most of what they eat by themselves.if a full chicken cost #1200 in mr biggs,the same man in the

village that rears chicken can also afford to eat a full chicken if he likes.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Kobojunkie: 2:01am On Feb 03, 2011
People need to stop pushing this myth that those who live in the village produce much of what they eat. That is NOT TRUE. I have been to many villages, and like every other community out there, many who live in these places have to work to get money with which to feed themselves. This idea that everyone in the village is a farmer of some sort is BULL.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by adconline(m): 2:39am On Feb 03, 2011
people spend less in villages because they produce most of what they eat by themselves.if a full chicken cost #1200 in mr biggs,the same man in the

village that rears chicken can also afford to eat a full chicken if he likes

This has not been my expedience. A live chicken raised by a village farmer this Xmas sold for N1600 while a fully cooked chicken cost about N1800 at some food outlets in big in cities across Naija. So a villager who earns less is paying more given that a live chicken costs almost the same as a fully cooked one. Not everyone in the village is a farmer who is able to feed his/her family, many of them are poor, processed and finished goods are much more expensive in the village, a bag of rice is more expensive in the village; kerosene is more expensive than petrol- feeding might be cheaper, but the quality of food is a no match to what u might get in cities,
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Nobody: 2:43am On Feb 03, 2011
Are you saying the cost of living in the rural areas is higher than the urban areas ? undecided undecided
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Feb 03, 2011
Villagers pay almost as much as those in cities for their food stuff. I don't see people running off to the nearest village when there is food shortage, or news of high prices . . .lol
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by ekubear1: 2:55am On Feb 03, 2011
Abagworo:

Let me break it down.Half kilo of raw chicken goes for 350 Naira.

Damn. That is very expensive, no?

700 naira per kilo. 2.2 pounds per kilo. 150 N to dollar. So $2.12 per pound?

I see it listed for $1.29-$1.52/pound at my local Safeway:
http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/

Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by EzeUche2(m): 3:31am On Feb 03, 2011
Port Harcourt is an expensive place. Food prices are outrageous there.

I prefer the little eateries in Owerri.

Enugu can be expensive as well.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by ekubear1: 4:09am On Feb 03, 2011
So is this N700/kilo Abagworo cited just specific to PH? How much does chicken cost elsewhere in Nigeria?

I'm kind of surprised it is so damn expensive. I guess most chicken in Nigeria is going to be free-range, which raises the costs somewhat (perhaps substantially.) But the differential seems quite high, at least using this figure he provided.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by MaJBlige(f): 9:28am On Feb 03, 2011
why do most people assume that so many people in Nigeria cannot afford a mere $7?

That is over hyped.

Even people in the villages- the woman who fried akara, the woman who sells firewood, etc, may not afford to eat $7 at a single meal, but ask her how much he/she makes on her akara frying business, you will be surprised. Ask her how much she spends on her kids per month from her business, you will be shocked.

How much do they charge their mobile phones per day? Common.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by KnowAll(m): 11:04am On Feb 03, 2011
Port Harcourt is an expensive place. Food prices are outrageous there.

I prefer the little eateries in Owerri.

Enugu can be expensive as well.

In PH u pay top dollar for crap facility. The houses you rent for top dollar are crap, u would be lucky if u can get to buy land less than N15 MILLION in PH. Everyting in that town is over-hyped and riduculously expensive.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Abagworo(m): 11:14am On Feb 03, 2011
KnowAll:

In PH u pay top dollar for crap facility. The houses you rent for top dollar are crap.

Very true but in terms of food,I think the high price is widespread across the entire South.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by hceejay: 11:26am On Feb 03, 2011
Importation and Marketing Firm looking for funding/Investors

A friend of mine wants to come back to Nigeria to establish a Importation and marketing company that would be importing goods to Nigeria, handling the logistics and marketing of those goods to wholesalers. They will be dealing with clients from different industry as they don't intent to just import goods but meet all the needs of their clients.

The company will also be developing marketing strategy, marketing exposure, supply chain management and distribution channels for corporate entities. The company is seeking N8 million funding/loan to add to their start up capital. The company will not touch or used the said money until the imported goods have arrived in Nigeria as its would be using LC for its trading.

Any interested person, investor or someone with contact at banks and any financier should send their post here. My friend will be visiting Nigeria this February for meetings.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by delegiwa(m): 11:36am On Feb 03, 2011
Was in Uzuakoli (Abia State) over the weekend and we decided to go to a Palmie bar for some natural palmie and some bush meat. Even in Uzuakoli which can't be called an urban area in some respect, the price of bush meat was so high that we ended up having less than what we intended to have. This myth about things being cheap in the villages has got to stop please.

BTW, anybody from Uzuakoli on this forum? What is with the palmie at the joint called IYO'O that everyone warned us not to take more than one bottle if we must be lucid enough drive ourselves back to PH?
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by ayodeji200: 11:40am On Feb 03, 2011
@Ikamefa,na Dover Deportation centre u dey. Honestly,i ll see u there next week when on shift.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by lalaboi(m): 11:47am On Feb 03, 2011
Dude, you won even better

I paid £8 for a rice and chicken at muritala airpot lagos. . .
It was the worst rice i ever tasted!. . It was a small take away plate!. . . The chicken tasted horrible. . i was lamenting that i didnt listen to my mum. she asked me jejely to take some food with me form home. . .
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by andyanders: 11:47am On Feb 03, 2011
YOU HAVE EATEN PART OF THE MEAL. GO BACK, BUY ANOTHER PLATE, DON'T TOUCH IT.TAKE THE PICTURE AND COME BACK TOMORROW
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by delegiwa(m): 11:53am On Feb 03, 2011
lalaboi:

Dude, you won even better

I paid £8 for a rice and chicken at muritala airpot lagos. . .
It was the worst rice i ever tasted!. . It was a small take away plate!. . . The chicken tasted horrible. . i was lamenting that i didnt listen to my mum. she asked me jejely to take some food with me form home. . .

Ah!!! U made that same mistake? I found out too late and the hardest of ways that you don't leave ur tummy to the vagaries of those glorified bukas at the MMIA. I'd rather buy Agoyin beans from a seller at Oshodi and take it with me to the airport than to try that nonsense ever again.

For those of us in PHC, there is this place down Aggrey Road, and they only do swallow. You fit die on top the food cos the price is unbelievably low and of good quality too. Try a delicacy called CENTRE BONE, and you'll be hooked for life.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by snthesis(m): 12:09pm On Feb 03, 2011
@OP
y u dey complain, if u cant afford it walk away, must you eat in chicken republic. Is it a social welfare organization ? angry angry
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Mucokey(m): 12:21pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Op
That cud not ve been upto $3 meal even after u might ve devoured to that remainder level
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by monkeyleg: 12:25pm On Feb 03, 2011
You guys should stop blowing this over.

These take away centres are not where the typical Nigerians goes to eat. Lets equate it

$7 = £4.50, that is what I would expect to pay @ Mc-Donalds or Burger King.

So the price is not that bad. I found that Chicken in Nigeria is generally more expensive than the UK, dont ask me why, but it is
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by delegiwa(m): 12:30pm On Feb 03, 2011
monkeyleg:

So the price is not that bad. I found that Chicken in Nigeria is generally more expensive than the UK, dont ask me why, but it is

Upon all the local fowl wey full everywhere,
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by johnjoel(m): 12:35pm On Feb 03, 2011
this guy funny o he don eat pass helf of food even the chicken he don flirt am the average you go buy food IS with $7
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by olaolabiy: 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2011
Hmmmm

Time bomb!
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by Kennyblues(m): 1:02pm On Feb 03, 2011
I did not know why the OP would have to spend $7 on a meal that is not even sufficient enough when you can spend the same amount on 3 of your guys with bottle water (don't forget) that people around you would think you are yahoo boys if you visit a decent local meal centre.

sey u come bellefu after choppin that yeye chicken, i del laugh
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by olaolabiy: 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
eku_bear:

Damn. That is very expensive, no?

700 naira per kilo. 2.2 pounds per kilo. 150 N to dollar. So $2.12 per pound?

I see it listed for $1.29-$1.52/pound at my local Safeway:
http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/

Not possible in Britain. $7 is nothing here. 4.50 pounds? Just 2-piece chicken I guess.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by tpiah2: 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
i think the op is being mischievious.

he already ate half the meal.
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by hustla(m): 1:13pm On Feb 03, 2011
10 dollars should b about 1k5 in naira abi?go to mama put n buy ogufe n amala wif 1k5, u go chop sotey dem go need carry u comot dere ni!!!!lmao, u go vomit sef, grin grin
Re: 7 Dollar Meal In Naija by MaJBlige(f): 1:43pm On Feb 03, 2011
One full breakfast meal at McDonalds in the UK is almost £5.00 - how much is that in Naira and dollars?

Why are people talking biggie about $7?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Snail Recipe / Editan, Afia Efere, Ekpang Kukwo, Abak / Whats The Name Of This Fruit ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.