Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,112 members, 7,828,964 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

WTO: Candidates For The DG Position - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / WTO: Candidates For The DG Position (26998 Views)

Northern Christian To Lalong: Reject APC Campaign DG Position Now / Abdulmumin Jibrin Is Not The DG Of Tinubu's Campaign - Tinubu Support Group / Egypt Wants Okonjo-iweala Disqualified From WTO Top Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by baralatie(m): 12:55pm On Jul 09, 2020
oyeb15:
Nigerians expect d World to put a Nigerian,(hushpuppi siblings) at d helm of their finances?

Its either d UK man or d Korean woman or later maybe d Kenyan.

The West don't trust Nigerians,Egyptians ,Mexicans and Arabs.
expect surprises

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by earnit3: 2:24pm On Jul 09, 2020
really
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by LordPhoenix777: 2:27pm On Jul 09, 2020
What exactly are the selection criteria please? That would determine how to judge who will become the best candidate to be considered... That is, if politics no enter this thing...
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by fergie001: 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2020
LordPhoenix777:
What exactly are the selection criteria please? That would determine how to judge who will become the best candidate to be considered... That is, if politics no enter this thing...
15-17 July, they will individually address the General Council, entertain questions and interview with the Global Press.
The General Council is the second highest decision-making body of the WTO. The Council employs the DG.
The Council consists 167 member States.

They are asked to individually send a maximum of 4 or 5 of their preferences (privately, in confidence) to the General Council Chair.
The General Council Chair, from the list of preferences,....shortlists 4 or 5 out of the 8.

The second round follows the same procedure but this time, a maximum of 2 preferences

The third round is then collated by the Chairs of the General Council, Trade Dispute Body and the Trade Review Policy Organs of the WTO.
The winner is announced.

The US, China and the World Players most times determine how it goes.

PS: So, it is not necessarily an election but a consensus process.
Some years ago, the preferences were equal....however, they were both asked to serve 3 years each simultaneously.

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by RTSC: 3:45pm On Jul 09, 2020
frog12:
almost all of them have worked with wto or trade except okonjo and the saudi.

okonjo should go sit down.

So her World Bank experience counts for nothing?

Do you think they play there ?

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by ayenale1(m): 3:51pm On Jul 09, 2020
No chance for Africa except grace speak for NOI cos that man from mexico-the cv na die.
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by 4four(m): 3:57pm On Jul 09, 2020
johnmartus:
Africa has lost it already. 3 candidate from Africa undecided Asia is a battlefield for the all contestants. Any country that have good influence in Asia continent will emerge the winner. Anyway Good luck madam Ngozi. But change your campaign strategies Because nobody would listen to I don't have shoe or I don't have money to take flight to Abuja.
even Asia have candidate from Korea
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 09, 2020
please no nigerian should enter that post abeg. all nigerians have the scam gene in them. if you check this woman wella u go see scams
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Crowdsource: 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2020
From the summaries, it appears Seade Kuri Jesús (Mexico) has the strongest CV.
Besides being from North America which may naturally command the powerful American backing, he has strong WTO experience and fluently speaks all its official languages

I wish our own NOI the very best though

1 Like

Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by ThatFairGuy1: 6:12pm On Jul 09, 2020
johnmartus:
Africa has lost it already. 3 candidate from Africa undecided Asia is a battlefield for the all contestants. Any country that have good influence in Asia continent will emerge the winner. Anyway Good luck madam Ngozi. But change your campaign strategies Because nobody would listen to I don't have shoe or I don't have money to take flight to Abuja.

Has she spent the ones they stole during GEJ's administration!
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by BabaRamota1980: 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2020
tot:

No single individual can do it, it takes a collective change, so has nothing to do with her capacity.

So why is she being offered at all for a feat she is not capable of accomplishing?
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by tot(f): 6:42pm On Jul 09, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

So why is she being offered at all for a feat she is not capable of accomplishing?

Your reply was in response to someone's comment saying "Maybe to Redeem our Face in the international community." and that is what I am referring to as can't be achieved by any individual.
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by UthmanUnique(m): 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2020
Honestly they all are qualified, but the battle lies between NOI and JESUS KURI..

No be sherey sherey (play play)
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by Grateful02(m): 10:58pm On Jul 09, 2020
Me I didn't my know who be who but no give am to Mexican. That country and drugs na 5&6
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by AnanseK(m): 11:04pm On Jul 09, 2020
Can Jesus lose?
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by BabaRamota1980: 5:24am On Jul 10, 2020
tot:

Your reply was in response to someone's comment saying "Maybe to Redeem our Face in the international community." and that is what I am referring to as can't be achieved by any individual.

Oh, ok. grin
Re: WTO: Candidates For The DG Position by tot(f): 9:58am On Jul 10, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Stops Police From Arresting Gbagi / 2023 Presidency: Adamu Garba Joins YPP After Dumping APC (Photos) / INEC Deliberately Withheld Uploading Presidential Election Results On IREV – Lai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.