Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing (2300 Views)

Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / Let Us Talk About The Timing Of Sex / High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:20pm On Feb 03, 2011
i was thinking some people have kids one after the other, i mean one this year or two years difference and they say s/he will have someone to play with

my question is, why bring another kids to be a toy to the other one

why have a child if you can not spare time to play with him/her or buy toys for him or her

your solution, to have another child wont be that double trouble the young one still needs attention and you bring out another one

besides you and the wife wont enjoy freelance time i.e they need much attention that you forget about your own needs and free time

whats your say guys
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by spyder880(m): 9:34pm On Feb 03, 2011
I dont think anyone will seriously want to have another child just because you want the older one to have a playmate. You have kids because you need them.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by obowunmi(m): 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2011
Child-bearing and the timing of child-bearing is a CHOICE ---- now lets leave it at that.  

plus, the fact you hve access to the internet and a computer doesn't mean that you have to use it uselessly. undecided
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:38pm On Feb 03, 2011
spyder880:

I dont think anyone will seriously want to have another child just because you want the older one to have a playmate. You have kids because you need them.

not in that sense but having them to close to each other leaving no room to yourselfs as both or more needs attention eg one is 2 or 3yrs the other one is just a month and above
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 12:52am On Feb 04, 2011
a two to three years gap is ideal. what would you think is right. Having kids with too long a gap in between is almost like raising two single children
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by Nobody: 2:41am On Feb 04, 2011
child-bearing and the timing of child-bearing is a CHOICE ---- now lets leave it at that.

exactly.

the original post is confusing.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:02pm On Feb 04, 2011
mutter:

a two to three years gap is ideal. what would you think is right. Having kids with too long a gap in between is almost like raising two single children

how is it confusing
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:07pm On Feb 04, 2011
mutter:

i dont get that part

4 and 5 is good for me
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by NAJALYN: 4:33pm On Feb 04, 2011
@Poster if I get you clearly you are saying that couples should space out having kids reasonably so it does not disturb them. I agree with you. But again some couples like making it quick so they can get it over with & relax, & then concentrate on raising them. Even so I say 2 years in between is alright.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2011
NAJALYN:

@Poster if I get you clearly you are saying that couples should space out having kids reasonably so it does not disturb them. I agree with you. But again some couples like making it quick so they can get it over with & relax, & then concentrate on raising them. Even so I say 2 years in between is alright.

YES that what am saying

but i dont get it though imagine there are 3, one 3 one 2 and the new one  all they need full care and add the years you need to nurse them out the crutual years and there are 3 imagine one still needs poo training or assistance to feed and the baby needs you all the time

my theory have one, take care of him/her till he is five or six and have another one
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by naijafrend: 9:41pm On Feb 04, 2011
@ OP
I totally agree with you and would also suggest that a couple should opt for just 2 kids, max 3 if you are financially well off.
Whilst managing home, career, yearly addition to the family and zillion other things most parents lose out on the focal point of having a baby, the joy of raising a child.
Infact, I have often wondered how careless some parents are. They just keeping on having kids every year for no apparent reason. Finally when they find it difficult to provide a decent life for these kids, each of them are forced to fend for themselves.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 12:02am On Feb 06, 2011
ZIM DRILL, what I meant is that when the gap is too big, each kid grows up like an only child.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:39am On Feb 06, 2011
mutter:

ZIM DRILL, what I meant is that when the gap is too big, each kid grows up like an only child.

i think thats good the child will have all the attention and also it give mum time to be free i.e not alwayys busy with kids or life always around kids
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 06, 2011
when the gap is too big, each kid grows up like an only child.

quite true.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:01pm On Feb 06, 2011
tpiah!:

quite true.

is it a disadvantage ? is there any disadvantage to grow up as the only child
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 9:38pm On Feb 06, 2011
There are advantages and disadvantages of growing up as an only child.
The advantage of being an only child, is that one can invest everything one has in one child. In this case this does not apply because there is more than one child. In fact it could even get more expensive because it`s like starting everything twice all over again.
The other advantage is that one has more time for one child. This does not apply because here there is more than one kid. Whoever thinks that children are more work, when they are younger, does not really know what comes along with children.
Small children, small problems. Big children, big problems.
I have smaller kid`s and I can tell you they do not occupy me as much as the big ones. Compare changing diapers , with problems like bad grades or kids getting into bad company.
When there is more than one child and the age gap is not so big, they keep each other company and learn from one another. Nothing like having a big brother or sister in the same school.
Apart from that, such children have better social competencies. The learn to share and relate better.
With one child it is difficult to be firm sometimes while when you have more than one you find it easier to say no and stick to it.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:18pm On Feb 06, 2011
mutter:

There are advantages and disadvantages of growing up as an only child.
The advantage of being an only child, is that one can invest everything one has in one child. In this case this does not apply because there is more than one child. In fact it could even get more expensive because it`s like starting everything twice all over again.
The other advantage is that one has more time for one child. This does not apply because here there is more than one kid. Whoever thinks that children are more work, when they are younger, does not really know what comes along with children.
Small children, small problems. Big children, big problems.
I have smaller kid`s and I can tell you they do not occupy me as much as the big ones. Compare changing diapers , with problems like bad grades or kids getting into bad company.
When there is more than one child and the age gap is not so big, they keep each other company and learn from one another. Nothing like having a big brother or sister in the same school.
Apart from that, such children have better social competencies. The learn to share and relate better.
With one child it is difficult to be firm sometimes while when you have more than one you find it easier to say no and stick to it.

cant the kids learn that from school ? and other gathering i.e visiting relatives or even playing with other kids after school etc
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
I guess you know that one of the major problem of the youths today is that more and more homes are relying on the schools and other structures to raise their kids.
Raising a kid and teaching social skills is one of the fundamental functions of the family.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:57am On Feb 07, 2011
mutter:

I guess you know that one of the major problem of the youths today is that more and more homes are relying on the schools and other structures to raise their kids.
Raising a kid and teaching social skills is one of the fundamental functions of the family.

your contraditing your self

yes it the family that teach social skills but family doesnt mean mum, dad and others kids but it starts from mum and daddy only

remember parents are the one who teach us social skills etc
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 12:09pm On Feb 07, 2011
Sorry siblings are involved as well.
Anyone who has more than one kid, knows that the younger ones learn so much from the older ones.
Where there are two or more kids together, they learn to share the even learn how to have disagreements and make compromises. This is something that parents cannot teach.
This has to be learnt amongst peers.
The older ones learn to take responsibility for the younger ones and the younger ones have someone to look up to who understands them sometimes better than the parents do.
Children understand certain things better than adults do.
Children also can open the parents eyes to something they overlooked in the another child.
I had a son that was being mobbed in his new school. Because he is not so outspoken, he could not express to me the gravity. Thank God I had two other kids in the school already, they were able to let me see exactly what was going on.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:30pm On Feb 07, 2011
mutter:

Sorry siblings are involved as well.
Anyone who has more than one kid, knows that the younger ones learn so much from the older ones.
Where there are two or more kids together, they learn to share the even learn how to have disagreements and make compromises. This is something that parents cannot teach.
This has to be learnt amongst peers.
The older ones learn to take responsibility for the younger ones and the younger ones have someone to look up to who understands them sometimes better than the parents do.
Children understand certain things better than adults do.
Children also can open the parents eyes to something they overlooked in the another child.
I had a son that was being mobbed in his new school. Because he is not so outspoken, he could not express to me the gravity. Thank God I had two other kids in the school already, they were able to let me see exactly what was going on.

i disagree on most points kids learn from parents period thats the reason a child cant look after another child  a child can copy from another child who was taught there for it looks like s/he learnt from the other kid but s/he only copied for that moment what s/he was taught, if a parent is not there the child wont learn anything

NB am talking of age between 0 months to 4 years  am talking of the very early years up to 4 years i.e toddlers
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 12:43pm On Feb 07, 2011
What better way to learn, than from copying grin
You have said it all.
A child between 0-4 learns from copying.
Besides later these children grow up.
Toddlers they remain for just a twinkle of an eye.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
mutter:

What better way to learn, than from copying grin
You have said it all.
A child between 0-4 learns from copying.
Besides later these children grow up.
Toddlers they remain for just a twinkle of an eye.

there is a difference between copying and learning
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by blank(f): 9:54pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kids LEARN by COPYING. If u av kids, u would av known that. How do u teach the kid something, is it not by encouraging him/her to do as u do? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 08, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

there is a difference between copying and learning

Lol what an argument ZIM cheesy cheesy have you got a kid or kids? if you had, you wouldn't have made the comment above cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:30am On Feb 11, 2011
jennykadry:

Lol what an argument ZIM cheesy cheesy have you got a kid or kids? if you had, you wouldn't have made the comment above cheesy cheesy cheesy

its not your fault you dont know the difference

eg do people go to school to learn or to copy
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by mutter(f): 1:49am On Feb 11, 2011
do they go to school at age 0-4
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 11, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

its not your fault you dont know the difference

eg do people go to school to learn or to copy

LOL, struck a nerve did I? Mr man go and have kids before you come on here and post
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:01pm On Feb 11, 2011
jennykadry:

LOL, struck a nerve did I? Mr man go and have kids before you come on here and post

i got an 8 year old daughter

learning and copying are different things

i.e if a kid is burnt by fire s/he learns that it hurts if s/he put his/her hand

but if you hurt yourself from the fire while s/he is looking s/he will only may be copy your reaction but s/he hasnt learn anything
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ubiaa5(f): 8:28pm On Feb 11, 2011
What is this whole argument about.
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:50pm On Feb 11, 2011
ubiaa5:

What is this whole argument about.

are you serious cant you follow through what was and being said ?
Re: Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 12, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

i got an 8 year old daughter

learning and copying are different things

i.e if a kid is burnt by fire s/he learns that it hurts if s/he put his/her hand

but if you hurt yourself from the fire while s/he is looking s/he will only may be copy your reaction but s/he hasnt learn anything

I have a nephew that learnt how to clean his hands after eating just by watching mummy, whenever mummy finish eating, she washes her hands and dries with a napkin or hand towel, unknowingly to her, her son would watch her and copy same, but this time using his shirt. He was always copying mummy until it became a part of him and that was how he learnt good hand hygiene

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Stop Him / Mother-in-law Issue! Please Help!!! / Am I On The Right Track? Pls Advise!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.