Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,380 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! (3603 Views)

Results From FCT Council Election Indicate PDP In Clear Lead / PSC Bars Policemen From Carrying Vips’ Handbags, Umbrellas / Pictures Of Overweight Policemen From Different Parts Of The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by wales(m): 8:05am On Feb 04, 2011
The Inspector -General of Police, Mr. Hafiz Ringim, has withdrawn riot policemen from banks in the Federal Capital Territory.

The withdrawal followed the killing of a woman and a taxi driver by a riot policeman at Mpape, a surburb of the FCT.

The incident led to an attack on the bank, burning of nine cars and looting of an Automated Teller Machine by a mob.

A source at the Force Headquarters said the officers were asked to go back to their units on Tuesday, pending an appraisal of the situation by the police authorities.

“Mobile policemen attached to banks have been withdrawn by the IG and we have been asked to go back to our units for now,” the source, who was on special duty at one of the banks in the FCT said.

Investigations by our correspondent on Wednesday and Thursday at some banks indicated that most of the riot policemen attached to them had been withdrawn.

At a new generation bank along the Herbert Macaulay Way, Central Business District, only one riot policeman was seen on duty on Thursday. The bank usually had about four policemen on duty.

When contacted, the Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Olusola Amore, said he had no information on the withdrawal of the policemen.

The policeman that triggered the mob action has been dismissed from service. It was learnt that Ringim had directed that criminal prosecution should be initiated against him.

It was also learnt on Thursday that the Commander of MOPOL Squadron Unit 44, Abuja had been removed from his post following the arrest of one of his men, Corporal Mohammed Uba, for his alleged involvement in the attacks on some villages in Plateau State.

The MOPOL Commander was removed for “vicarious liability” for the criminal action of the riot policeman who is currently in police custody in Jos.

Uba was arrested along with 29 other Fulani gunmen on January 27, 2011 following an attack on three villages in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of Plateau State. Twelve people died in the attacks.

Meanwhile, clerics in Ekiti State on Thursday staged a peaceful protest over the killing of the wife of one of their colleagues, Mrs. Taiwo Oluwole.

The protest was led by the chairmen of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Irepodun/Ifelodun and Igede Local Government Area chapters, Reverends Clement Kayode and Peter Adegbami.

Mrs. Oluwole whose husband, John, is the pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church, Oke Age area of Ige Ekiti, was found dead in a farm.

Her death sparked a violent protest by the youths who almost lynched the monarch of the town and his chiefs on Tuesday.

The clergymen who carried placards and Bibles asked security agencies to unravel those behind the latest killing and the previous one in Igede Ekiti.

They said that lives were no longer safe as killers were on the prowl in the community.

Some of their placards read, “Save our souls from kidnappers, murderers and ritual killers at Igede.”

Policemen deployed in the town had a hectic time before they could prevent irate youths from hijacking the clerics’ peaceful protest.

The widower, while addressing newsmen at his residence, appealed to security agencies to find his wife’s killers.

He said, “When we got to the farm on Saturday, we went to different locations like we used to do. I heard when she was calling me, but I thought she was returning home as earlier agreed.

“But I was surprised when I got home and I did not meet my wife. I immediately commenced search for her until her dead body was found in the place where I had visited four times.”

The Police Public Relations Officer of the Ekiti State Police Command, Mr. Mohammed Jimoh, appealed to the people of the town to remain calm.

Jimoh, who said that autopsy had been carried out on the body of the deceased, added that the command would make the result public when it is out.

Link;http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102043185362
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by 21052011: 1:17pm On Feb 04, 2011
I dont see how withdrawing riot policemen from the Banks will help any issues
Pls we need some serious security in all banks
This announcement is highly distasteful because it will give men of the underworld new/better ideas
gosh!
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by violent(m): 1:20pm On Feb 04, 2011
solve a smaller problem by creating a bigger problem and then tell the rest of us observers that when compared with the bigger problem, the smaller problem wasn't really a problem.

that's how things work in my country
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by aydoth(m): 1:31pm On Feb 04, 2011
Aaahaahaaah, Mr IG, its like you want to sweep this crime under the carpet. Beheading is never the remedy for headache. The officer in question should face the law and dance to its rythym, (Ika to ba se gan ni ki oba o ge).
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by oluite(f): 1:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
How does the withdrawal of Riot Policemen solve the problem of Killer CopsSuccinctly put by violent. Meanwhile Dimissing that killer cop is not good enough!
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by naijasing(f): 2:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
very funny nigerians
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by fenandopo: 2:46pm On Feb 04, 2011
policemen in this country are mad, psychopaths,sociopaths. almost got shot by oe mopol in a bank last year, as i could not show my bizness complementary card?? unbelievable as he felt i was not in bizness without the card? ayways, the ig over reacted!! moreover, for the stubborn cab driver and lady, y insult a prbably  drunk or hifh officer with a gun? did he not ask them to go back? y not just reverse, instead of shouting at a mopol? this is a serious problem with nigerians who lack total respect for the police, yet fear and 'respc' armed robbers and the army?  what a paradox? they all ve guns and hate 'bloody' civilians!!!! kiss cry
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Feb 04, 2011
21-05-2011:

I dont see how withdrawing riot policemen from the Banks will help any issues
Pls we need some serious security in all banks
This announcement is highly distasteful because it will give men of the underworld new/better ideas
gosh!
There are private security outfits in the country.
Individual banks now have to secure themselves.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 3:14pm On Feb 04, 2011
ifyalways:

My thoughts exactly.It is not the job of police men to secure banks,the wrong way of doing things have been so enmeshed in our thoughts and daily life it has become routine
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by Knight1(m): 4:13pm On Feb 04, 2011
Nigerians just amaze me.
So inside the IG's brain now, thats a solution, eh?
just like goodluck banned super eagles then was shamefully forced to eat the humble pie.
this country, i don't know o. maybe we'll start having IQ test for public officials.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by violent(m): 4:19pm On Feb 04, 2011
ifyalways:

The Police, with all the APCs, and range of automatic weapons available at their disposal, are unable to successfully secure banks, how much more private securities whose only weapons consist of side batons and pepper sprays?

cold:

My thoughts exactly.It is not the job of police men to secure banks,the wrong way of doing things have been so enmeshed in our thoughts and daily life it has become routine

Seriously? If it's not the duty of the Police to secure banks, what then would you say their duty is?
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 4:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
violent:

Seriously? If it's not the duty of the Police to secure banks, what then would you say their duty is?
Do you see police men protecting banks in the UK?Or are u going to comeback with a retort that the circumstances are different?
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by tlops(m): 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2011
Police work for the govt to enforce order, and since banks are considered "private" organisations (in this case), they should get private security.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by chamber2(m): 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2011
Its only in Nigeria that i see police men with long gun in public places even when there is no war or riot.Policemen should be stopped from carrying long gun in public places including banks.Banks should have their own security measures put in place.There are so many security devices used by banks all over the world y not get these things installed in the banks.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by mensdept: 5:39pm On Feb 04, 2011
How did Mr. Hafiz Ringim become IGP? Was he not previously in charge of the notorious Aba/Umuahia command?
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by ifyalways(f): 7:07pm On Feb 04, 2011
violent:

The Police, with all the APCs, and range of automatic weapons available at their disposal, are unable to successfully secure banks, how much more private securities whose only weapons consist of side batons and pepper sprays?

Don't kid urself please.

http://www.villeworth.com/NewWhoWeAre.htm

http://www.ase-int.com/

. . .the list goes on and on.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by myk2mic: 7:10pm On Feb 04, 2011
Good and bad move. in civilized countries, u dont to see more than 2 cops in a bank, and the dont carry  AK-47 rifles, only pistols, if there is a robbery , the police is alerted and they move in with  S.W.A.T or other specially trained police unit.
but here in naija, the mopols are just a bunch of irresponsible officers that enjoy barking and beatin up people.

I believe its about time the police have a specially trained unit that can carry heavy firearms and match robbers one on one like in other countries and should only be called into action wen needed. so good move by the IG(banks shld provide there own security) , but bad move in that if robbers attack, its still our ill trained police/mopol dat would still face them.

Recently in opebi , where i work, robbers struck at a sharp show room, and there is this GTB bank close to my office, come and see the way mopols attached to the bank were pulling off their uniforms and running along side  civilians,left the bank ,workers and customers to their own fate lol. after the robbers left, some mopols from area F arrived at the scene, shooting in the air  and this was almost about 4o minutes after the robbers had gone unchallenged.come see laugh from people wey dey around.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by OWOLAYEMO: 7:58pm On Feb 04, 2011
, Terrible decison.Notwithstanding the fact that the Nigerian Police are grossly ill-equiped and oftemn misbehaved,they still sometime put up some performance hence I support that the IG reconsider his decision.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by oderemo(m): 8:14pm On Feb 04, 2011
NIGERIAN banks are dumb anyway,
the whole world is going cashless transaction and we are all still enjoying the feeling of moving zillion thru ghana must go.
invest in the future , you dumb a.s.s banks.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 04, 2011
myk2mic:

Good and bad move. in civilized countries, u dont to see more than 2 cops in a bank, and the dont carry AK-47 rifles, only pistols, if there is a robbery , the police is alerted and they move in with S.W.A.T or other specially trained police unit.
but here in naija, the mopols are just a bunch of irresponsible officers that enjoy barking and beatin up people.

I believe its about time the police have a specially trained unit that can carry heavy firearms and match robbers one on one like in other countries and should only be called into action wen needed. so good move by the IG(banks shld provide there own security) , but bad move in that if robbers attack, its still our ill trained police/mopol dat would still face them.

Recently in opebi , where i work, robbers struck at a sharp show room, and there is this GTB bank close to my office, come and see the way mopols attached to the bank were pulling off their uniforms and running along side civilians,left the bank ,workers and customers to their own fate lol. after the robbers left, some mopols from area F arrived at the scene, shooting in the air and this was almost about 4o minutes after the robbers had gone unchallenged.come see laugh from people wey dey around.
YOU ARE JUST MISYARNING. In civilized countries policemen are not assigned to guard banks in the first place.
Anyway the way the police are deployed to banks just makes them sitting ducks to be shot at by the nefarious robbers. It has nothing to do with training.
Better to have private plain-clothed security men who patrol in and around the bank premises
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by naijasing(f): 9:59pm On Feb 04, 2011
nigeria police funny
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by violent(m): 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2011
cold:

Do you see police men protecting banks in the UK?Or are u going to comeback with a retort that the circumstances are different?

You don't think the circumstances are different? Do you suppose the UK is just like Lagos where thugs can carry out a 3 hours heist without being accosted or challenged?

Banks in the UK don't have policemen because they don't need to!
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 12:46am On Feb 05, 2011
violent:

You don't think the circumstances are different? Do you suppose the UK is just like Lagos where thugs can carry out a 3 hours heist without being accosted or challenged?

Banks in the UK don't have policemen because they don't need to!
If robbers want want anything that bad,they'll get it

Motorbike gang raids jewellers in broad daylight on Britain's busiest shopping street

A gang of motorbike-riding robbers staged a daylight raid on one of Britain's busiest shopping streets yesterday - exactly a fortnight after a near-identical heist.

Their faces hidden by helmets, the thieves - thought to be of school age - struck in the West End of London.

One used a sledgehammer to smash a plate glass window displaying Rolex watches and gems worth tens of thousands.

Smash and grab robbery at Leslie Davis jewellers on Oxford Street

Robbery in progress: The gang smash their way into Leslie Davis jewellers while warding off shocked onlookers

Two of the gang revved their engines to a deafening level while their friends carried out the robbery at the Leslie Davis jewellers on Oxford Street.

Only two weeks ago the gang attempted a similar raid just minutes away on New Bond Street. That time they were unable to break into the shop.

Yesterday, the gang turned up on the same bikes, carried an identical yellow sledgehammer and even wore the same grey tracksuit bottoms that featured in the first heist on Watches of Switzerland.
A gang on motorbikes flees the scene of a jewellery shop robbery on Oxford Street

A 25-year-old office worker who filmed the raid on his mobile phone said he was one of 30 or 40 who witnessed it. He added: 'It was quite brazen and dramatic. The pillion passengers jumped off the back, and the drivers turned the bikes around to face out so they could get away quickly.

'One guy ran into the shop and the other started slugging the front window with a sledgehammer.

'While this was happening police car with a siren drove straight past - but did not stop. It must have been called for something else.'

The gang cleared out the window display, leaving behind about 25 price tags for designer timepieces ranging from £2,000 to £5,000. They rode off at high speed, leaving the sledgehammer behind.

After the raid the manager, who appeared calm, said: 'I was told you can't break that glass.'

The gang is thought to have escaped with tens of thousands of pounds worth of jewels and watches

Another witness, 33, who asked not to be named, said: 'Four men on two bikes entered Oxford Street from a back alley, rode up the pavement and sent people scattering in all directions.

'Two got off the bikes and it took them quite a bit of effort to get through the windows and the whole thing took about four minutes.'

He added: 'They looked like they took a lot of jewellery, which was loaded into sports holdalls, and left a sledgehammer on the ground as they escaped.
A gang on motorbikes flees the scene of a jewellery shop robbery on Oxford Street

The robbers revved their motorbikes' engines to scare off shoppers

'They took a lot of swings to get through the windows and I heard the store manager say afterwards that no one had ever managed that before.

'The whole time the getaway drivers faced the bikes west up Oxford Street and revved the engines to scare people away. As they rode off, one of the drivers popped a wheelie. It was very well choreographed.'

Police said the robbers had threatened staff but no one was injured.

They refused to reveal the value of the stolen items.

Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by shotster50(m): 12:57am On Feb 05, 2011
@ Cold,

Please please stop. How can you compare motorbike gangs to Nigeria's 50 man gangs armed to the teeth with rocket launchers, Ak 47s and dynamite? Are you really that slow?
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 1:01am On Feb 05, 2011
shotster50:

@ Cold,

Please please stop. How can you compare motorbike gangs to Nigeria's 50 man gangs armed to the teeth with rocket launchers, Ak 47s and dynamite? Are you really that slow?
I might be slow but u sure are slower.Are we talking about the mode of robbery or the fact that robberies can take place anywhere,with or without the police
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by violent(m): 1:05am On Feb 05, 2011
I don't know exactly how to even argue with you at this point.  Banks in the UK wouldn't need the Police, not because robberies aren't likely to happen, but because even in an event of robbery, there's an 80 percent chance that the UK police will eventually nail those robbers using forensic technology and any other measures available to them, and that alone is enough to drive fear down the spine of whoever is even considering such.

Successful robberies in the Uk are always undoubtedly well planned to ensure that no traces are left at the point of robbery.  You even hardly hear of cases where guns are fired during a heist, because the Police can trace the weapon to the exact firearm using ballistic fingerprint. All that and more makes successful robberies a hard thing to plan and implement in the UK.

I think comparing that to Nigeria is grossly misinformed.  I have seen a situation where robbers disarmed an entire Police station before making a glorious and majestic walk into a bank adjacent to it. Needless to say they were so relaxed during the heist and some of them prepared and drank coffee while robbery was in progress.

I haven't said robbery is impossible in the UK, but the technology and counter measures available makes the banks and stores operate with a high degree of trust in the security system.

I remembered there was an instant when my neighbour's 4 year old, out of curiosity dialed the 999, then he replaced the receiver without saying anything to the officer at the other end.  8 minutes later, a Police officer was knocking at their door asking if everything is alright
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by shotster50(m): 1:08am On Feb 05, 2011
@ cold   
let me break it down for you my thick friend. The reason why you see Armed Mobile policemen in Nigerian banks is because of the violent and repetitive  nature of the robberies,. Also the measures put in place to deter and check robberies are very different in both countries.
You need to leave the Black Country before their thickness  finish you oh.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 1:16am On Feb 05, 2011
shotster50:

@ cold
let me break it down for you my thick friend. The reason why you see Armed Mobile policemen in Nigerian banks is because of the violent and repetitive  nature of the robberies,. You need to leave the[b] Black Country before their thickness  finish you oh.[/b]
Lol,now i see you just out to massage your ego.Funny i might be living close to you but you may not even know it.But i don't usually make don't make a big deal out of it. Talking about thick,you must be so dense light can't even pass through.
Once again i reiterate,it is not the job of police men to protect banks.Police men are paid with taxpayers' money,banks are private institutions thus should pay for their own security whilst the police should face their primary role of protecting the citizenry
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by OgidiBoy(m): 1:27am On Feb 05, 2011
myk2mic:

Good and bad move. in civilized countries, u dont to see more than 2 cops in a bank, and the dont carry  AK-47 rifles, only pistols, if there is a robbery , the police is alerted and they move in with  S.W.A.T or other specially trained police unit.

Recently in opebi , where i work, robbers struck at a sharp show room, and there is this GTB bank close to my office, come and see the way mopols attached to the bank were pulling off their uniforms and running along side  civilians,left the bank ,workers and customers to their own fate lol. after the robbers left, some mopols from area F arrived at the scene, shooting in the air  and this was almost about 4o minutes after the robbers had gone unchallenged.come see laugh from people wey dey around.

You've been watching too many Hollywood flicks, grin grin

First of in civilized countries like the US cops don't guard banks, although a patrol officer will patrol a bank if it's in his or her  precinct.

Secondly if there is a bank robbery, S.W.A.T only shows up if the robbery is still in progress or if there is a hostage situation.

The first to show up in a bank robbery is your patrol cops, investigators and the FBI.

Our biggest problem in Nigeria is we deal in cash too much, we need to start using more of debit and credit cards like developed countries then all these robberies like reduce drastically.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by shotster50(m): 1:31am On Feb 05, 2011
@ Cold
Its nothing personal,
I think you are now shifting ground. The original arguement is that you where wondering why Nigerian Banks should have Police as their security and I am trying to point out to you that this is Nigeria we are talking about. Normal rules do not apply there. The Police and the Army are the only people equipped to tackle the level and sophistication of modern day Nigerian  robbers.
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by cold(m): 1:36am On Feb 05, 2011
^^ shifting ground in what sense?My initial claim was that police men are not recruited to protect banks and i still maintain my stand
Re: Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! by violent(m): 1:38am On Feb 05, 2011
^^

Police men are recruited to enforce laws, and protect people/infrastructures .  a bank is just a highly sensitive environment that requires such protection

(1) (2) (Reply)

Danjuma Azemobo Musa Responds To Achebe's New Book / I'm Beginning To Regret Voting In Buhari / Why Does Zahra Buhari Have A British & Nigerian Passport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.