Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification (3446 Views)

Unification Of SE / SS A Major Threat To Nigeria Why? / Seun: Offline Reconciliation And Re-unification Is The Panacea / Murtallab-ian Tendency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by TewMuch: 9:02pm On Feb 05, 2011
@ Afam,
Yoruba names are never spent according to what they mean.They are simplified versions. It is only when you want to find out the meaning that you stretch it out and put all the extra stuff that would not necessarily be there. Mahinmi sound Yoruba and has Yoruba meaning's. What it means is open to interpretation and the tonal sounds are actually very important to determine this. The meanings being given here are just guesse's. Only the player can give a correct tonal description of his name, and the issue of dialect doesn't help much. We also don't know if the name has something to do with an ancestral god. Mahinmi can mean:
- Watch my back
- don't praise me
- - I am to be praised or lifted up
- Don't hinder me

All sorts, but it largely depends on dialect and tonal interpretation/actual interpretation. Would u ever expect a name "Tella" to be Yoruba? Well it is. There are some funny Yoruba names, though not so popular
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Afam4eva(m): 9:03pm On Feb 05, 2011
TewMuch:

@ Afam,
Yoruba names are never spent according to what they mean.They are simplified versions. It is only when you want to find out the meaning that you stretch it out and put all the extra stuff that would not necessarily be there. Mahinmi sound Yoruba and has Yoruba meaning's. What it means is open to interpretation and the tonal sounds are actually very important to determine this. The meanings being given here are just guesse's. Only the player can give a correct tonal description of his name, and the issue of dialect doesn't help much. We also don't know if the name has something to do with an ancestral god. Mahinmi can mean:
- Watch my back
- don't praise me
- - I am to be praised or lifted up
- Don't hinder me

All sorts, but it largely depends on dialect and tonal interpretation/actual interpretation. Would u ever expect a name "Tella" to be Yoruba? Well it is. There are some funny Yoruba names, though not so popular

Well said. At least this is what fStranger should have said if he knew it instead of resulting to abuses.
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 05, 2011
I dont know why people want to claim this mahinmi by all means. There are many other groups in benin republic besides yoruba, and becomerich shouting everyday does not change that fact. The name can sound yoruba but that doesnt mean its yoruba. Tall people don finish for nigeria ni? Until the man himself comes out to explain his ethnicity, abeg let him rest. My post has nothing to do with afam4ever btw.
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by ekubear1: 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2011
tpiah!:

I dont know why people want to claim this mahinmi by all means. There are many other groups in benin republic besides yoruba, and becomerich shouting everyday does not change that fact. The name can sound yoruba but that doesnt mean its  yoruba. Tall people don finish for nigeria ni? Until the man himself comes out to explain his ethnicity, abeg let him rest.  My post has nothing to do with afam4ever btw.

Anything (or anyone) that is good, I will claim on the behalf of my people. Especially if there appears to be a connection. It is what it is.
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Afam4eva(m): 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2011
Thois fstranger is really sick. he also had the same thought like me.

Not quite sure

It probably means "Dont praise me"

Now, not sure if the spelling hasnt been tampered with

Also, like most things from Benin, the Yoruba is not always as straightforward or the same as what you see/get in Nigeria

They have a different way, and a different spelling for common Yoruba words. Like in Togo where they seem to put "R" behind every word that ends with an "o" e.g Adebayor

Also, how are we so sure the name had a Yoruba origin? There other ethnic groups in Benin besides Yoruba, you know that right?

He wasn't even sure the name was of yoruba origin.https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-599323.0.html
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by fstranger6: 9:20pm On Feb 05, 2011
eku_bear:

Anything (or anyone) that is good, I will claim on the behalf of my people. Especially if there appears to be a connection. It is what it is.

Isnt Tpiah one of your people?
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by fstranger6: 9:22pm On Feb 05, 2011
afam4eva:

Thois fstranger is really sick. he also had the same thought like me.

He wasn't even sure the name was of yoruba origin.https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-599323.0.html

I have satisfied myself

I just wanted to rile you a lil, which I did succesfully

Now deal with it. grin
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Afam4eva(m): 9:26pm On Feb 05, 2011
fstranger6:

I have satisfied myself

I just wanted to rile you a lil, which I did succesfully

Now deal with it. grin

You just made a fool of yourself.

Now deal with it and being a Banger.
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by kettykin: 9:45pm On Feb 05, 2011
Yoruba unification will spell good for the Yoruba race, how ever what really do Yorubas want. The niger delta want resource control , the igboss want their biafran dream actualized , the north wants to rule and have a political advantage over other others.

It seems Yorubas don't have any defnite goal in nigeria as at the moment, that could be why they are not presently focused on any thing and cannot speak from one side of the mouth only
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by kettykin: 9:48pm On Feb 05, 2011
igboss and their unrealistic dreams might end up with neighter biafra or the presidency while the niger deltans will receive the biggrst shock of their lives when oil finishes
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Becomrichn: 11:30pm On Feb 05, 2011
You can see that Gani Fawehinmi  the human right activities and mahinmi look the same. Fawehinmi and Mahinmi.

The "fa " is "ifa"  which names like fayemi , the ekiti state governor, they just add "fa"  to yemi.   the meaning of the name is close to fawehinmi.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQVvZYuOLPUoKwE3kay4Izu_Tgi3yZ_76dCNUa27JUZKmsKWP3FA&t=1[/img]
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by bashr4: 11:53pm On Feb 05, 2011
kettykin:

igboss and their unrealistic dreams might end up with neighter biafra or the presidency while the niger deltans will receive the biggrst shock of their lives when oil finishes

igbos dont have unrealistic dream ,they just want conducive enviroment to manufacture or do their buisness and live their life comfortably like a normal human should. presidency does not benefit any tribe ,it only benefits bunch of elites and the white man that will enjoy all the looted money deposited in his bank
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by aljharem(m): 12:14am On Feb 06, 2011
bashr4:

igbos dont have unrealistic dream ,they just want conducive enviroment to manufacture or do their buisness and live their life comfortably like a normal human should. presidency does not benefit any tribe ,it only benefits bunch of elites and the white man that will enjoy all the looted money deposited in his bank

you could not have said it better

kettykin:

[b]Yoruba unification will spell good for the Yoruba race, how ever what really do Yorubas want. [/b]The niger delta want resource control , the igboss want their biafran dream actualized , the north wants to rule and have a political advantage over other others.

It seems Yorubas don't have any defnite goal in nigeria as at the moment, that could be why they are not presently focused on any thing and cannot speak from one side of the mouth only

I really doubt that because the yorubas have a war history like no other, i mean interethnic war. Until the yorubas view a common enemy that's the day they are unitied but if they form there own country, there will be no common enemy par say then the interethnic war will start
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Becomrichn: 10:37pm On Feb 06, 2011
are you serious
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by wakima: 7:07pm On Feb 07, 2011
DO you
Re: How Will Nba Star Ian Mahinmi(dallas Mavericks) Feel,about Yoruba Unification by Spazolas: 12:34am On Jan 14, 2019
Becomrichn:
How will NBA star Ian mahinmi(Dallas Mavericks) feel, about Yoruba Unification.

he is from benin republic

Will it not be history, what type of baskeball team would we have. How does the politics change.

How does it affect you and your family.
[img]http://offsideswithfletcher.files./2010/05/ian-mahinmi.jpg[/img]

Igbos and their rubbish envy, anyone from Benin republic is Yoruba, they will tell you that themselves, Dahomey broke out of old-Oyo empire in ancient times that is why we share similar cultures and dialect.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Demand Regional Autonomy, State Police / Amaechi Dares Jonathan, Says He’s Part Of Obasanjo’s Informants / Voters Abandon The Two Main Presiential Candidate In Ebonyi State_ Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.