Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,327 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday (952 Views)

Appointment Of Bakare: Buhari Starts Presidency With A Lie! / Buhari’s Choice Fuels Anti-jonathan Sentiments In North / Jonathan Orders Arrest Of Bakare, Falana, Melaye, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Feb 06, 2011
[size=14pt]CPC meets on Buhari’s choice of Bakare Monday[/size]
•Coalition will remove him soon - Balarabe Musa
Ndigbo divided over VP slot
By Sunny Igboanugo (Lagos) and Baba Negedu (Kaduna)

Indications emerged in Kaduna at the weekend that many of the politicians angling for the actualisation of Muhammadu Buhari’s presidency in May after the April poll are not happy with the nomination of Pastor Tunde Bakare of Latter Rain Assembly as his running mate.

A source at the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) office in Kaduna told Sunday Independent that the grouse of the politicians which he said runs through the north is because the pastor is not a politician, hence they wonder how many votes the fiery pastor can garner for the former head of state from the South West not to talk of the entire south.

However, efforts to get some of the elders of the party to speak on the issue was not successful, as many of them were said to have gone to Abuja for a crucial meeting on the crisis rocking the party and how to boost its fortunes in the coming polls.

But the Kaduna State Chairman of the party, Alhaji Ahmadu Kokakola told Sunday Independent that the party will meet on Monday to take a stand on Bakare’s choice.
“Making any statement now will pre-empt the meeting,” Kokakola said, adding that a statement on the outcome of their meeting will be issued immediately after. 
But on its part, the Chairman of the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP), Alhaji Balarabe Musa said the nomination of the convener of the Save Nigerian Group (SNG) by Buhari is a temporary measure.

The former Kaduna State Governor told Sunday Independent in a telephone interview that. “PRP has no presidential candidates because eight political parties which we are one of, is having an alliance called Coalition for a new Nigeria and we are going to support one presidential candidate, PRP and CPC are part of that alliance.”
The PRP gubernatorial candidate said, “for now the nomination of Tunde Bakare is the internal decision of the CPC for the time being, because under the alliance arrangement all the eight political parties in the alliance will seat down and agree on candidates.”

He said: “The alliance is a progressive alliance and we call it the patriotic and democratic alliance. It is not my position to say whether Bakare has the political clout to assist Buhari in the quest for Aso Rock. For now it is for the CPC to decide and I think they have done that.” Regardless, the concern is reverberating through the South East at the moment over the choice of Buhari to pick his deputy from the South West.

Last Monday, Buhari announced Bakare, his staunch supporter, as his running mate. The choice is seen in many quarters within the area, Sunday Independent gathered, as not only an affront, but the former military ruler’s insensitivity to the aspiration of the Igbo to produce a civilian President for the first time in the country, which has been a major project of the area since the return of democracy in the country, more than a decade ago.

By this, the critics say, the CPC boss had shown that he was not amenable to the area producing the President of the country in the near future, because it is expected that the Vice President would naturally take over from the President at the end of a full tenure.

A highly placed member of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the pan-Ndigbo socio-cultural organisation, who did not want to be named, articulated the position of the people on Friday, saying that there was a lot of anger in the land, added that  Buhari would definitely pay for his slight on the people. “Buhari has shown what  he thinks of Ndigbo and I can assure you that we will also show him what we think of him at the end of the day. How can any Northerner think of taking a deputy from outside Igbo land at the moment, when you know that the natural thing is for the deputy to take over after he must have served out his term?

“He is invariably telling you that after him, it will be Bakare, a Yoruba man, not minding that the Yoruba have just done eight years. We are going to mobilise against this insult even if it means throwing away our votes,” he said. Mike Ahamba, Buhari’s lawyer during his two court cases to challenge the two previous presidential elections and a former chieftain of the CPC, told Sunday Independent that the Vice President’s position was actually reserved for the South East before he left the party. “I don’t know what happened because I have since left the party. But I know that when I was in the party and a member of its Board of Trustees, the slot was reserved for the South East. The last BOT meeting I attended, it was agreed that the area should fill the office. But I don’t know when and how that changed,” he said.

Former President General of Ohanaeze, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, however, tried to water the ground for the ex-Head of state, saying that Ndigbo should not crucify him for the choice since their representatives, including the South East governors, had barred any Igbo from accepting the Vice President’s slot for the April poll, adding that if Buhari eventually won the election, there would definitely be other important positions for the area.

“Do we really have to blame him, when we were the ones that were shouting that it is an anathema to accept the vice presidential slot, even though some of us do not see any basis for saying that. But we have since shot ourselves in the leg and cannot blame anybody. Well, we have seen Vice Presidents who did not become the President. In fact, it is almost the trend now. So, we might just await the outcome,” he said.

Former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, who was bandied as one of those who were approached by the former Head of State to run with him, denied that he was ever  approached for the job, saying that such a scenario would not have arisen since he was not a member of CPC. “I’m a member of PDP and couldn’t have left the party to run elsewhere. So, the question doesn’t arise,” he reposted.

But Buhari, has countered, saying the zonal issue was not the dominant factor in the choice, but rather an individual with national recognition and with the right idea of what is needed to salvage the sinking Nigerian ship. Yinka Odumakin, spokesman of The Buhari Campaign Organisation (TBCO), told Sunday Independent that a pan-Nigerian mindset overrode other considerations in  the choice of Bakare. “The choice of Bakare was to get on board a recognisable name, whose ideals are well known. You know the focus of Buhari’s presidency is the fight against corruption and you know in this, he has an ally in Bakare.

“Besides, Nigeria is moving away from the method of zonal considerations to a much more enduring way of choosing leaders. It is also moving away from balance of hate to balance of faith. The current process is going to bring down the tension in the country and engender better leadership and development,” he said. He said it should not be forgotten that in the last two contests Buhari chose Igbo politicians–late Chuba Okadigbo (2003) and Edwin Ume-Ezeoke (2007), noting that “if he decided to shift base now something would have happened.”

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=28355
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 4:14am On Feb 06, 2011
[size=13pt]A highly placed member of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the pan-Ndigbo socio-cultural organisation, who did not want to be named, articulated the position of the people on Friday, saying that there was a lot of anger in the land, added that  Buhari would definitely pay for his slight on the people. “Buhari has shown what  he thinks of Ndigbo and I can assure you that we will also show him what we think of him at the end of the day. How can any Northerner think of taking a deputy from outside Igbo land at the moment, when you know that the natural thing is for the deputy to take over after he must have served out his term?

“He is invariably telling you that after him, it will be Bakare, a Yoruba man, not minding that the Yoruba have just done eight years. We are going to mobilise against this insult even if it means throwing away our votes,” he said. Mike Ahamba, Buhari’s lawyer during his two court cases to challenge the two previous presidential elections and a former chieftain of the CPC, told Sunday Independent that the Vice President’s position was actually reserved for the South East before he left the party. “I don’t know what happened because I have since left the party. But I know that when I was in the party and a member of its Board of Trustees, the slot was reserved for the South East. The last BOT meeting I attended, it was agreed that the area should fill the office. But I don’t know when and how that changed,” he said.[/size]

Former President General of Ohanaeze, Dr. Dozie Ikedife, however, tried to water the ground for the ex-Head of state, saying that Ndigbo should not crucify him for the choice since their representatives, including the South East governors, had barred any Igbo from accepting the Vice President’s slot for the April poll, adding that if Buhari eventually won the election, there would definitely be other important positions for the area.

Why do these folks keep putting their foot in their mouths? Zoning is not stipulated in the Nigerian constitution and I don't know how these groups now require that other parties follow the same PDP Zoning agreement they, and many others out there, have mostly DENIED.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by jason123: 4:31am On Feb 06, 2011
Now, they want zoning! But a month or two ago, zoning was out of the window undecided. smh!
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by kcjazz(m): 4:44am On Feb 06, 2011
I made my arguments on the Ohanaeze endorses GEJ thread, few months ago. That was even before the primaries. Endorsing GEJ that early means all Igbos are PDP which is not true. Its sad things are the way they are but again the unnamed Ohanaeze guy should keep quiet and stop all this nonsense.

On the bright side, its not like he picked Flavor flav to run with him, so why the noise
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ohaneze, or whatever it calls itself, needs to get it's act together and it should quit dragging the ibo people along with it in it's silliness. Many the members(if real) need to communicate a bit more. They can either be anti-zoning(which is what support for Jonathan essentially boils down to) or for Zoning. Trying to play the two sides is why they continue to lag behind in the political world.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Blazing99: 10:31am On Feb 07, 2011
Ohaneze is certainly not in the interest of Igbos
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by hakanai(m): 10:49am On Feb 07, 2011
That Ndigbo group will never seize to amaze people!!! you said the igbos should wholly support GEJ and that no other person.Rather than keep mute and let the people vote thereby allowing you the freedom to co-ordinate with everyone that matters at any point in time.you choose to send all packing in your domain except GEJ and now you want someone you did not endorse to now come and pick you.
Absolute Nonsense!!! you want to eat your cake and have it!!!! grin
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2011
Chineke me e!

I laf in Igbo.

Le them fight to finish. In the end, Jonathan will win.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Feb 07, 2011
Ohaneze or any other confused group out there needs to stop speaking on behalf of Ibos entirely.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by jason123: 3:43pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Ohaneze or any other confused group out there needs to stop speaking on behalf of Ibos entirely.

Ha nnoooo ooO! Igbos such as[b] Onlytruth[/b] likes it likes the partisan politics like that. Please leave it.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Feb 07, 2011
See how some greedy Politicians have mortgaged a whole Geo pilitical zone.

So if they support GEJ does Presidency get to them after 8yrs?

When you stand for nothing, you fall for everything.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Eziachi: 7:19pm On Feb 07, 2011
Sometimes you have to question the sanity of these hungry belly self made leaders. Those guys calling themselves Ohaneze need their coconut examined. Aren't they the same people few months ago endorsed Jonathan based on the mantra that zoning is dead?

I was laughing at them then, because I knew that it is only question of time before that sentiment will come back to haunt them and first victim being Okwy Nwodo, whose position has been given to the northeners. I am not a supporter of zoning but if you claim to be part of the abomination called Nigeria, you really have to face facts and zoning is just one of those facts.

All those Southeners singing the hyms of no zoning based on a short term gain, inluding Jonathan as his Delta people will live to regret it soon rather later, it could even be immediatly after their sham planned poll in April.
What stops northerners occupying the position of president or VP, Senate president, Speaker of the House after April, since they got the numbers?
After all, they were told in black and white that zoning is dead! and they voted for GEJ  instead of one of their own (Atiku), all in the spirit of the death of zoning.
Even the cunning Yorubas knew this fact, hence running around looking for a northern presidential candidate, the same group that boast a proffessor per every square metre in  Ekiti alone and now among those brain chain can't find on single person quaified to rule Nigeria?
Give me a break! and do me a favour!

What is the business of Ohaneze over who Buhari chose as VP, having already endorsed and promised Jonathan the Igbo votes? As if Igbo votes are in their hands.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by jason123: 7:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
Eziachi:

Sometimes you have to question the sanity of these hungry belly self made leaders. Those guys calling themselves Ohaneze need their coconut examined. Aren't they the same people few months ago endorsed Jonathan based on the mantra that zoning is dead?

I was laughing at them then, because I knew that it is only question of time before that sentiment will come back to haunt them and first victim being Okwy Nwodo, whose position has been given to the northeners. I am not a supporter of zoning but if you claim to be part of the abomination called Nigeria, you really have to face facts and zoning is just one of those facts.

All those Southeners singing the hyms of no zoning based on a short term gain, inluding Jonathan as his Delta people will live to regret it soon rather later, it could even be immediatly after their sham planned poll in April.
What stops northerners occupying the position of president or VP, Senate president, Speaker of the House after April, since they got the numbers?
After all, they were told in black and white that zoning is dead! and they voted for GEJ  instead of one of their own (Atiku), all in the spirit of the death of zoning.
Even the cunning Yorubas knew this fact, hence running around looking for a northern presidential candidate, the same group that boast a proffessor per every square metre in  Ekiti alone and now among those brain chain can't find on single person quaified to rule Nigeria?

What is the business of Ohaneze over who Buhari chose as VP, having already endorsed and promised Jonathan the Igbo votes? As if Igbo votes are in their hands.

Abeg. does ACN = ALL YORUBAS
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On Feb 07, 2011
Eziachi:

After all, they were told in black and white that zoning is dead! and they voted for GEJ  instead of one of their own (Atiku), all in the spirit of the death of zoning.
Even the cunning Yorubas knew this fact, hence running around looking for a northern presidential candidate, the same group that boast a proffessor per every square metre in  Ekiti alone and now among those brain chain can't find on single person quaified to rule Nigeria?

The Yorubas know that zoning is the way forward in this kind of environment called Nigeria We benefited from zoning and we wont deny its existence.  

The only way Southern Nigeria can taste presidency is by zoning but if you deny it today you cant claim you want zoning tommorow
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Feb 07, 2011
Eziachi:

This portion is what I am more concerned about. Groups like Ohaneze claiming to have control over the Ibo vote INFURIATES me. How many people actually voted for them to play such a role?
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by jason123: 8:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This portion is what I am more concerned about. Groups like Ohaneze claiming to have control over the Ibo vote INFURIATES me. How many people actually voted for them to play such a role?

Onlytruth, Alex101, Chyz, Alh Harem and maybe Ezeuche among others embarassed wink cheesy
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Eziachi: 10:32pm On Feb 07, 2011
jason123:

Abeg. does ACN = ALL YORUBAS
I think that you know the answer to your question and stop asking
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by jason123: 10:37pm On Feb 07, 2011
Eziachi:

I think that you know the answer to your question and stop asking
Well, I take it that you know that all yorubas is not = ACN. Then, why did you make reference to all yorubas in your post? Which includes the mocking of Ekiti people? You know it is wrong to regard a decision made by Tinubu as "All Yorubas".
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by houvest: 6:18am On Feb 08, 2011
I am not personally concerned who Buhari chooses as his running mate since I am certain that he is going nowhere but the issues raised here in the report are valid. If Buhari actually was a good strategist he should have known that if he by any means becomes the president, his successor must be from the SE or SS, the two zones that have not substantially gotten their own share of power. So what is really strategic in making a Yoruba his running mate since him being succeeded by such will be highly resisted by other Gzones? If however he really believed a combo with the SW was essential in winning the election, Should he not have picked a yoruba that could actually deliver yoruba votes to him. I really wonder at Buhari's reasons for picking Pastor TB.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by houvest: 6:26am On Feb 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

From your wealth of knowledge, please tell me how many people voted for the leaders of Afenifere, ACF and other zonal group leaders to play the roles they are playing? Why do you always start flexing your muscles once you hear 'Oha' even before 'Eze' is mentioned?
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Johndoe100(m): 6:31am On Feb 08, 2011
houvest:

From your wealth of knowledge, please tell me how many people voted for the leaders of Afenifere, ACF and other zonal group leaders to play the roles they are playing? Why do you always start flexing your muscles once you hear 'Oha' even before 'Eze' is mentioned?

Please don't get her started, she will tell you how she is more knowledgeable about the igbos than they are themselves.

It doesn't really matter cos Buhari-bin-laden and his sidekick are not going to win.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 6:33am On Feb 08, 2011
houvest:

From your wealth of knowledge, please tell me how many people voted for the leaders of Afenifere, ACF and other zonal group leaders to play the roles they are playing ]? Why do you always start flexing your muscles once you hear 'Oha' even before 'Eze' is mentioned?

If you do not have any rational rebuttal , kindly go bug someone else!
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by enyojo(f): 2:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
I GET ANGRY WHEN I READ THINGS LIKE: “Buhari has shown what he thinks of Ndigbo and I can assure you that we will also show him what we think of him at the end of the day. How can any Northerner think of taking a deputy from outside Igbo land at the moment, when you know that the natural thing is for the deputy to take over after he must have served out his term?'
WAS IT NOT THEIR LAZY DO-NOTHING LEADERS THAT WENT TO ADOPT GEJ WHOSE VICE IS A NORTHERNER? DID THEY NOT REMEMBER THAT SAMBO WOULD PURSUE A PRESIDENTIAL BID AFTER THEIR TENURE? OFCOURSE IT WILL BE HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.

SO IT IS NOT BUHARI THAT IS THE SCAPEGOAT FOR THE SHORT-SIGHTEDNESS OF IGBO GOVERNORS WHO PARADE THEMSELVES THAT THEY REPRESENT THE GOOD PEOPLE OF IGBO NATION.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by enyojo(f): 2:20pm On Feb 08, 2011
Even if Bakare is changed, Buhari would have made a good and valid point that he opted for a strong christian to run with him before higher reason changed his choice.
But more importantly, a very good Igbo VP that can garner massive votes from south-east is Ngozi Nkojo-WAHALA. Let her give wahala to the Tony Anenihs of this age. Ofcourse he led the battle that made her redeployed and resigned under Obj.

Another choice is Peter Obi. There r millions of capable Igbos.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by kolemm: 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2011
Lets keep our fingers crossed,while we watch. Let them hold the meeting and let's the result.
Afterall, Bakare did not ask to be a running mate, Neither did he hang on saying that God asked him to run.
Its a simple issue of offer and acceptance. QED.

We are watching ,
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by kolemm: 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2011
Lets keep our fingers crossed,while we watch. Let them hold the meeting and let's the result.
Afterall, Bakare did not ask to be a running mate, Neither did he hang on saying that God asked him to run.
Its a simple issue of offer and acceptance. QED.

We are watching ,
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Demdem(m): 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2011
I am honestly tired of all these SE,SW,NE,NW,SS etc junks. When will we Nigerians go beyond these things
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Pharoh: 8:20pm On Feb 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why do these folks keep putting their foot in their mouths? Zoning is not stipulated in the Nigerian constitution and I don't know how these groups now require that other parties follow the same PDP Zoning agreement they, and many others out there, have mostly DENIED.

I think the zoning principle is binding on every political party within Nigeria.
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Kobojunkie: 6:13am On Feb 09, 2011
Pharoh:

I think the zoning principle is binding on every political party within Nigeria.

How can it be binding when it is not constitutional?
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by enyojo(f): 11:34am On Feb 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie, you are supposedly in the USA, so u shld know better about UNWRITTEN CONSTITUTION.
No offense taken
Re: CPC Meets On Buhari’s Choice Of Bakare Monday by Pharoh: 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

We already have the federal character and quota system there so the implementation is left to those in charge. There are always careful consideration before appointing ministers, the senate president has always been from the southeast since we came back to democracy and thats the zoning system at work there. It is unwritten but very much acknowledged by everyone irrespective of your party affiliations.

(1) (Reply)

Nduka Obaigbena As The Master Of Blackmail / Sen. Abiola Ajomobi Of Acn Won In Oyo State! Confirmed. / Why Dr. Godswill Akpabio Want Me Dead - Acn Deputy Guber Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.