Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,936 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:06 PM

Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! (1380 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / "Change" Does Not Come By Magic- Tinubu Says / Nuhu Ribadu Picks Dr. Sunny Ugochukwu As His Running Mate #acn #nigeria2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Chyz2: 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2011
[size=15pt]Intrigues Continue Over Ribadu’s Deputy[/size]

LAGOS, Feb 03, (THEWILL) – Intrigues and political maneuvering has continued to trail the emergence of a formidable running mate for the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) Presidential candidate, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu even though his director of campaign, Mr. Sunny Ugochukwu has been named by the party following the rejection of Ribadu’s nomination of respected economist and Managing Director of the World Bank, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

THEWILL checks at the ACN revealed that Ugochukwu’s emergence, as running mate is a stopgap measure to enable the party beat the electoral commission’s January 31, 2011 deadline for the submission of names of candidates for the April election.

Ugochukwu’s nomination THEWILL gathered would be substituted before the February 15, 2011 deadline outlined by INEC for the substitution of candidates.

An authoritative source in the party told THEWILL that Ribadu opted for Dr. Okonjo-Iweala following her impressive career in ‘diplomatic economics’ and present profile in the international community. Ribadu was said to have rejected the option of running alongside former Anambra State Governor, Dr. Chris Ngige, who was favoured by Tinubu’s loyalists.

The source said party founder and former Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his loyalists objected to the nomination of Okonjo-Iweala for diverse reasons which bordered on core principles of the party in terms of party membership. Tinubu particularly was said to be indisposed to the choice of Okonjo-Iweala because she is highly opinionated.

Tinubu also expressed strong opposition to her nomination because she is not a card-carrying member of the party; a condition which the former governor reportedly said was not good enough for the party.

The source said Tinubu “is not happy with the manner some persons who are not members of the Action Congress of Nigeria join the party and pick up tickets. Tinubu is averse to the development.

“Tinubu had complained about Mallam Nuhu Ribadu’s candidature when some persons brought him to the party to contest the April election as Presidential candidate. In the case of Ribadu’s running mate, Tinubu did not want the same thing to happen in order not to allow any person or interest to use the party and dump it later,” the source explained.

The source said it was on this ground that the former governor and few other national leaders of the party opposed the nomination of Okonjo-Iweala to run with the party’s presidential candidate in the April 9 Presidential Election.
In place of Okonjo-Iweala, the source told THEWILL that Tinubu had presented former Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Professor Yemi Osinbajo as Ribadu’s deputy.

His choice was however not popular amongst party leaders and loyalists.

But with the collapse of alliance talks between the ACN and Buhari’s Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Party leaders the source said have gone back to the drawing board.

The new thinking according to the source is that the ACN must spread its net across the South-East geo-political zone in order to garner crucial votes in the region. The party leaders are of the opinion that a popular candidate from the zone with clout and respect amongst elites and the masses would give the party inroads into the South-East.

This is where Ribadu seem to be having a stronger argument with the choice of Okonjo-Iweala.

Another factor working for the former Minister for Finance and Foreign Affairs is gender consideration, the source said.

The ACN recognizes the role of women in politics and even the party’s constitution acknowledges executive roles for the female gender. This practice helped three women become deputies in three states out of four where the party controls the executive arm of government.

The source confirmed to THEWILL that Tinubu has turned around and is now disposed to the thinking and recommendations of a think-tank, Ribadu and opinion of some party leaders that Okonjo-Iweala should be approved as Ribadu’s deputy.

The party is expected to make a formal announcement on or before February 15, 2011 on its choice to pair Ribadu in line with gender and geo-political consideration according to the source.

“Barring any last minute maneuvers, all the indices favour Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,” the source added.

http://thewillnigeria.com/politics/7429-Intrigues-Continue-Over-Ribadus-Deputy.html
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
Why all this contradicting reports. I thought it was one Ugochukwu guy. Anyways i prefer an Ngozi any day. That will be the best combination and i might have to choice my choice.

It seems Tinubu is against an Igbo vice.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Chyz2: 8:48pm On Feb 06, 2011
afam4eva:

Why all this contradicting reports. I thought it was one Ugochukwu guy. Anyways i prefer an Ngozi any day. That will be the best combination and i might have to choice my choice.

It seems Tinubu is against an Igbo vice.

Ugochukwu was placed down as Ribadu's running mate by Tinbubu. He is a spot holder. The party has until Feb.15th to substitute him with Okonjo-Iweala.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by wesley80(m): 10:12pm On Feb 06, 2011
I Keep wondering how a Hydra headed crook like Tinubu got to be so powerful. As Yoruba people claim reach Imagine Tinubu being the one calling the shots.Whatever happened to the Alliance for Democracy(AD) that was the pride of Yoruba's. SMH
I hope Ribadu succeeds in getting Okonjo to run, not cos it would rock Gej's boat- not one bit, but cos all in all it would be good 4 our democracy with people of good repute vying for political office, these folks would be setting a very good trend.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Olaedo1: 10:06am On Feb 07, 2011
wesley80:

I Keep wondering how a Hydra headed crook like Tinubu got to be so powerful. As Yoruba people claim reach Imagine Tinubu being the one calling the shots.Whatever happened to the Alliance for Democracy(AD) that was the pride of Yoruba's. SMH
I hope Ribadu succeeds in getting Okonjo to run, not cos it would rock Gej's boat- not one bit, but cos all in all it would be good 4 our democracy with people of good repute vying for political office, these folks would be setting a very good trend.

I agree. One of the thing that shocks me is Tinubu's boldness his message about why he is against an Ribadu/Iweala alliance.By him refer to Okonjo-Iweala being too opinionated, it is clear that he was some on he can manipulate and godfather around.Simple selfishness and definitely not in it for the people or nigeria.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Biggoozz: 11:53am On Feb 07, 2011
I cant believe Tinubu and AC are this clueless to what an NOI Vice Presidentship would deliver. I just hope they do not miss this golden opportunity.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Muza(m): 11:58am On Feb 07, 2011
AC is just another PDP waiting for an opportunity to be even worse than PDP

Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by seanet02: 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2011
The same TINUBU you ibos never liked, you called him names yet you want him to pick anybody you want. Ribadu should stop this show of arrogance, Bafawara would have defeated him at the Primaries but for TINUBU who prevail on the latter to step down for him. Now he still wants to pick his own running mate as if the he was the one who brought the Party to where it is today. People should be appreciative of Their Benefator. Though i am still voting for him.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 07, 2011
All the parties are the same. No idealogies.

Vote for GPAP!

GPAP => Any Good Personality from Any Party.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by johnie: 2:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
Muza:

AC is just another PDP waiting for an opportunity to be even worse than PDP

GBAM!
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by seanet02: 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2011
@johnie and dozie, under the government of the PDP in ekiti state, students of the state university were paying N160,000 as school fees which was reduced of to N50,000 by the new ACN government, under the pdp government of osun state, students of the state university were paying N200,000 as school fees, this was reduced to N40,000 by the new ACN government, under the pdp government of both OYO and osun state, students of Ladoke Akintola university were paying N150,000 the new Action Congress of Nigeria government has proposed a Reduction of the School fees which the OYO state government has rejected. Under the goverment of Alliance for Democracy of Segun Osoba of OGUN state, students of the state university were paying less than N8,000 as school fees only for the new PDP government to increased it to Over N160,000 . Also in Lagos state. Students of the State university are paying less than N30,000 as School fees. I think you should by now know d difference between this Two party called ACTION CONGRESS and PDP
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Muza(m): 2:30pm On Feb 07, 2011
seanet02:

@johnie and dozie, under the government of the PDP in ekiti state, students of the state university were paying N160,000 as school fees which was reduced of to N50,000 by the new ACN government, under the pdp government of osun state, students of the state university were paying N200,000 as school fees, this was reduced to N40,000 by the new ACN government, under the pdp government of both OYO and osun state, students of Ladoke Akintola university were paying N150,000 the new Action Congress of Nigeria government has proposed a Reduction of the School fees which the OYO state government has rejected. Under the goverment of Alliance for Democracy of Segun Osoba of OGUN state, students of the state university were paying less than N8,000 as school fees only for the new PDP government to increased it to Over N160,000 . Also in Lagos state. Students of the State university are paying less than N30,000 as School fees. I think you should by now know d difference between this Two party called ACTION CONGRESS and PDP

I agree wit u but ACN is not too different from PDP,the impose candidates at will,they request kick-backs even from performing govs(go ask fashola),heard too that therez a cold war between the party and the Ekiti state gov,and also the party is controlled by ONE selfish,greedy,corrupt man
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by jaso1(m): 2:53pm On Feb 07, 2011
If Asiwaju truly believe in new Nigeria i believe he should ignore skepticism and focus himself toward liberation of Nigerians as he claimed to be.
Irrespective of his latest development i think to some certain level he deserves some respects and recognition. However in the present of these commendations on his achievement this does not deviates the desperado acts of people in their maneuvering animist skills. If Tinubu happen to belong to this category, in a short while this would be revealed to Nigerians and he will also be quarantine like other nincompoops.
He should let our collectives objective prevail and this is supperior than party and individual.

Thanks
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by seanet02: 3:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
@musa, stop making allegations u can not substantiate!! TINUBU remains 1 of the very few Nigerians who stand by the People through tick and thin!! As the issue of Imposition of candidates, u seems to be a Northerner or less a conservative YORUBA or ibo, what majority of u dont seem to understand is that under this impoverished Economy of Nigeria, who do u think will win a Primaries decided by Mal-nourished and poverty stricken delegates faced with an aspirant ready to pay N50,000 per delegate? Did you know that in an Open primary Fashola will never have defeated Afikuyomi!! TINUBU imposed Fashola on Acn in 2007 but the Governor is doing Wonderfully well!! The governors of the other states of Acn were also Imposed yet they are performing. What is the outcome of Open Primaries that produce the likes of OGD, AKALA, OYINLOLA,ONI,IBORI,IGBINEDON,AKPABIO,SUSWAN all this Usurpers and looters. Ribadu 4 all i care is a Product of Imposition because Bafarawa owns Northern Delegates & would av Trounced if not 4 TINUBU.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by Muza(m): 3:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
seanet02:

@musa, stop making allegations u can not substantiate!! TINUBU remains 1 of the very few Nigerians who stand by the People through tick and thin!! As the issue of Imposition of candidates, u seems to be a Northerner or less a conservative YORUBA or ibo, what majority of u dont seem to understand is that under this impoverished Economy of Nigeria, who do u think will win a Primaries decided by Mal-nourished and poverty stricken delegates faced with an aspirant ready to pay N50,000 per delegate? Did you know that in an Open primary Fashola will never have defeated Afikuyomi!! TINUBU imposed Fashola on Acn in 2007 but the Governor is doing Wonderfully well!! The governors of the other states of Acn were also Imposed yet they are performing. What is the outcome of Open Primaries that produce the likes of OGD, AKALA, OYINLOLA,ONI,IBORI,IGBINEDON,AKPABIO,SUSWAN all this Usurpers and looters. Ribadu 4 all i care is a Product of Imposition because Bafarawa owns Northern Delegates & would av Trounced if not 4 TINUBU.

Why must u be a bigot? ,we all know dat Tinubu is corrupt, and also ". . .a criminal of international reputation. . .",Ribadu's exact words in 2006
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by EzeUche2(m): 4:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
Tinubu is a rogue of the highest order. However, politics is a dirty business and there is a need for people like him unfortunately.
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by jason123: 4:15pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

Tinubu is a rogue of the highest order. However, politics is a dirty business and there is a need for people like him unfortunately.
You r quite right. Hè is a rogue
Re: Ribadu Picks Ngozi Okonjo-iweala As Running Mate, Tinubu Says No! by seanet02: 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
@muza, you are the real slowpoke here! If TINUBU has been what you idiots were calling him then why is Acn governors performing? With all i explained in the previous post yet you refuse to learn, its now confirmed, an ALMAJIRI is the Most difficult Student you can have, they can not grasp the Easiest of Teachings!!

(1) (Reply)

Past Electoral Umpires: How Will History Judge Them? / Who Voted For This Man? / Shame On The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.