Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,395 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? (22466 Views)

Slippers: At What Age Did You Learn To Wear It Right? Picture Attached / Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo) / What Led To The Greatest Flogging You Received As A Kid?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Mikkymilli: 10:03pm On Jul 19, 2020
In light of a recent trending video of a father flogging his daughter, a lot of people were of the opinion that she wasn't supposed to be flogged since she is 18 while majority (on twitter and nairaland) were in support of the father disciplining his daughter for going against his order.

On this note, I'll like to ask 'What age were you when your parents stopped flogging you?'
And also, 'What age do you think is the right age for a parent to stop flogging the child?'

As for me, I think i was 12 then. My mom would use different tools like garri turner, slippers, cane, etc. Looking back now, I know it was all to mould me into the gentleman I am today.
As for the second question, I think the flogging should stop before the child gets to senior secondary level so he/she won't develop an everlasting hatred for you (the parent) cos that teenage age can make or mar your relationship with your child. The child can be disciplined via other means, but not necessarily flogging.

The floor is open guys. What's your take on it?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Kingdemi212019: 10:12pm On Jul 19, 2020

66 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by GboyegaD(m): 10:30pm On Jul 19, 2020
Maybe around 16 but beatings were very rare for me yet, na only me dey chop cane for house among my siblings.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by chatinent: 10:32pm On Jul 19, 2020
What works for Dick may not work for Tom. Some weren't even flogged at all. However, with the species of humans we have today, some fit still suppose dey collect beating in mid-twenties. I have this neighbour girl who self decided to be stupid. It's clear she prostitutes (her way of life sold her out). She leaves in the morning and returns lately at night with hawk-like fixed eye-lashes, long nails and provocative dressing. Did I forget? She has even conceived one child already with her parents about the age of four. I admire her mum; there's no time her mum doesn't reprimand her for their waywardness. Therefore, these kinds of girls (not being mysogynistic) needs regular torture.

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Saintmary(f): 10:38pm On Jul 19, 2020
My Dad stopped all physical corrections by age 12, the rest is admonition and prayers, and I still love my parents.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 19, 2020
-

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Stephenomozzy(m): 10:58pm On Jul 19, 2020
grin Can't really piece the age together.....roughly around 12-14. And it was mainly because of the youngest sibling causing wahala for everybody.

My wonderful Mum still promises to "beat" any one of us if we mess up even when we're married. LMAO

74 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by meum: 11:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
Age 12. Popsie gave me a spank. He rarely used to spank by d way. grin

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by missawele(f): 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2020
I think at the age of 12 or 13. My parents rarely flogged us anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by missawele(f): 11:26pm On Jul 19, 2020
I think at the age of 12 or 13. My parents rarely flogged us anyway

Anyway, I am a digital marketing strategist and business coach. I help small business owners find clarity in their business & make sales online. If you are trying to start a business and don't know how to go about it, stuck in your business, want to make sales or just generally finding things difficult in your business, reach out to me. I can help

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Sexyliciousbri: 11:50pm On Jul 19, 2020
16 years ss3

4 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by cooooooks(m): 12:03am On Jul 20, 2020
11 or 12. Or maybe I was 10 going to 11.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:13am On Jul 20, 2020
Mine was age 17! I was flogged with different equipments!

But I was still asked to kneel down at age 20 though grin

God bless my parents for not sparing the rod on me!

102 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by merieam16(f): 1:24am On Jul 20, 2020
14 years couldnt remember wat i did sef cos my dad lik 2 flog 4 africa buh mum dont beat lik dat

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by noble71(m): 6:05am On Jul 20, 2020
shocked
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 20, 2020
My grandma aim or Throw me pisu

Like pounding pisu at age 24

After I carried her N3000 to play bet9ja

58 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Seerade029: 6:07am On Jul 20, 2020
12yrs SS1
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Timbers(m): 6:08am On Jul 20, 2020
Lost Addict
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by StagethemTVee: 6:08am On Jul 20, 2020
Without rigging in a free and fair Nigerian poll, that Father will win Man of the Year award over Buhari hands down. Don't bring nonsense oyinbo values that have not benefited them here grin grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Burgerlomo: 6:08am On Jul 20, 2020
4 me I can't remember but I chop a lot of these and more grin

140 Likes 10 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by KickTribalism: 6:08am On Jul 20, 2020
Well, I would say immediately the child start to make decisions for he/herself...

=

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2020
My father only beat me 3times in his life... And was in primary school when those beating happened.. so I can't even remember the year precisely, cuz he rarely beat me..

10 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by magicminister: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2020
With due respect to everyone's opinions; i think whipping a child is tantamount to child abuse and a centimetre shy of slavery.

The average Nigerian child experience their first abuse in the hands of those that should protect them. I might get insulted for this but ever wondered why the average Nigerian is so aggressive? If you disagree with them, they retort to insults? Even wondered why the average Nigerian is very afraid of telling the truth?

It all boils down to upbringing like the one we saw in the video posted earlier. Children are individuals with minds of their own and the best way to raise a child is to win that mind over with any means but intimidation and force.

We have to break the cycle of Abuse!!
We must evolve to a better and greater society!
When you flog a child, you are not teaching them to not repeat same mistake, you are teaching them to make sure they don't get caught!

I challenge every Nairalander to take a different discipline approach this week! If your child mess up, call him or sit, sit them down and explain to them why what they did is wrong and why they must never do it again!! Give them one week punishment of dish washing and take away their phone or game or whatever they really enjoy with the promise to return when they behave better!!

77 Likes 10 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by noble71(m): 6:09am On Jul 20, 2020
When I was 10yrs. I was a gentle boy then grin Lagos don make me stubborn cheesy

Meanwhile BUY/SELL your ETHEREUM with us.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by geedot: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2020
My parents never flogged me. But some unexpected slaps every now and then till I graded from secondary school, I guess.

But my Alfa for ile-kewu(Muslim school), holds the record for the person that flogged me the most, that man once flogged me about 50+ strokes of cane. The man wanted me to become a cleric as I was clearly the best student of his, so my flogging na raise to power 2 of other students.

But after beating upon beating, can't even remember the last time I prayed.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 20, 2020
14 months.
This was immediately after the WISDOM MODE was activated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by TalkTalkTwins(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2020
To be honest, the last time I got flogged was in my primary 3 or 4, I was around 9 years old then.

Even without the cane, I still run when Momma calls me and obeys her even more than my mates that still got flogged.

Training up a child isn't all about flogging and punishment, you it requires wisdom.

One thing was that my Mum never flogged with anger, she never used hash words on us too.

After the cane, the next minute, you will hear her laughing and saying 'umu aka agadi egbu mu' (meaning: This children will not kill me)

When I have my kids, amma copy child training from my Mum

30 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by NewDelhi(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2020
When it comes to use of cane, belt, etc, they stopped when I was 12-13.

But physical fight continued till 19-20. Generally when a child clocks 14 and above or when puberty sets in he begins to feel he's above flogging. That's why you try to flog some kids and they hold the cane or restrict you from flogging then.. . I don follow my papa fight gidigbo before... E stubborn with him outdated mentality me sef I stubborn with my newage mentality.

From 21 to over 30 years now we just shout at each other on the phone when there's any disagreement.

Generally I think this African idea of flogging or physically assaulting a child is pure stupidity and inhumane. If you raise a child like an animal, then expect him to behave like an animal. Children like that end up being child abusers and wife beaters. There are different ways to correct a child, physical assault shouldn't be an option.

Stop promoting abusive parenting, kids that went through such will also want to use same method on their own kids too and the cycle continues.

Cc stonemasonn

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by drlaykay(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2020
I was a good boy. I hardly got beaten. Except occasional slaps. Then the major beating was in jss2 when I misplaced one of my term novels. The pressure was too much for me to bring my novel home, but I couldn't find it in school.

I stole one of my classmate's novel, he didn't write his name boldly. I tore off the part where the name was written and wrote mine boldly.
You wil easily tell I was an amateur from the way i tore it off. About a week later, I found my novel and I dropped that too in my bag.

My mum, in her usual routine of checking my school bag, found 2 of the same novel, both bearing my name. Chai! "Sfhkjdgj nkhfsrukmvg d hi knddyuj fdyjjnv" . That was the way I was speaking in tongues. She understands every gimmick of children, it took her less than immediately to understand what actually happened.

And I was compelled to invite the owner of the novel home, apologised to him, mum gave him money and made him my police dog.
She said I would throw the novel away rather than return it to the owner if I was allowed to deliver it myself

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2020
Cause of cultism is as a result of poor parenting.
Besides that the reason why some ladies dress indecently and twerk on Instagram and shake and showcase their water melons provocatively in their Neighborhood and on twitter, is because they lack home training and the necessary discipline meant to make them cultured human beings. If they have strict and hard parenting, they won't get close in doing such.
I will not object to flogging and strict discipline if it is meant to correct behavior as such.

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sick Homeless Man Spotted In Gwarimpa, Abuja (Photos) / My Friend's 11-Year-Old Daughter Steals / Divorce: Court Dissolves Asiya Ganduje & Inuwa Uba's Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.