Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? (20156 Views)

How Lucrative Is Nursing As A Career? / How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / How Lucrative Is OPTOMETRY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 2:18pm On Feb 07, 2011
I'm just about going to india this month for training in linux, Ethical hacking and countermeasures expertise, intrusion prevention, MCITP. though I hv a degree in Sociology, what are the prospects?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 11:36pm On Feb 07, 2011
i seriously need information on this subject. i know you guys are here.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by weaseloo: 5:02pm On Oct 06, 2011
Hi, how did your training go?

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:09am On Oct 07, 2011
pmy:

I'm just about going to india this month for training in linux, Ethical hacking and countermeasures expertise, intrusion prevention, MCITP. though I hv a degree in Sociology, what are the prospects?

You paid for a training, and you don't know what you want to do with the knowledge?
Seriously?

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by iice(f): 3:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
lol
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 3:01pm On Dec 06, 2011
weaseloo:

Hi, how did your training go?

Thanks it went well (3 1/2 months).
I took courses in Redhat Linux, web programming and Networking security (ccna and ccnp security)
I enjoyed it and helped me to start up in the IT industry on my return.

AjanleKoko:

You paid for a training, and you don't know what you want to do with the knowledge?
Seriously?

Of course, I saw a great opportunity which with each passing week/month, it becomes more obvious.
But at the time, I needed all the info I could gather on the subject (I still do even now).

It may interest you that, 2 months after my return, I resumed work as an IT support person and now after 3 months on the job, I'm to resume soon in one of the top 10 companies in the world when it comes to IT, telecoms ,

I really thank God for this and I know there is so much to learn with the many amazing opportunities in the industry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 5:00pm On Dec 06, 2011
Was it ZOOM u attended?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by EMANY01(m): 6:52pm On Dec 07, 2011
Just saw this thread:
Very lucrative.A friend of mine who's had CCIE R&S for a couple of months now had been receiving something ordinary but because he had sometime earlier certified with a major security OEM he just got an offer from them for half a million naira monthly.Security is a big deal especialy now with mobile money and the likes starting next year.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Antimatter: 8:21am On Dec 08, 2011
OP congrats on your success. You took a bold step and now it is paying off.
It is good to be a pacesetter. Some people hesitate to take the plunge in a relatively new area only to make up their minds when it is saturated.

EMANY 01:

Just saw this thread:
Very lucrative.A friend of mine who's had CCIE R&S for a couple of months now had been receiving something ordinary but because he had sometime earlier certified with a major security OEM he just got an offer from them for half a million naira monthly.Security is a big deal especialy now with mobile money and the likes starting next year.

^^
Congrats to your friend.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:35am On Dec 09, 2011
pmy:

Of course, I saw a great opportunity which with each passing week/month, it becomes more obvious.
But at the time, I needed all the info I could gather on the subject (I still do even now).

It may interest you that, 2 months after my return, I resumed work as an IT support person and now after 3 months on the job, I'm to resume soon in one of the top 10 companies in the world when it comes to IT, telecoms ,

I really thank God for this and I know there is so much to learn with the many amazing opportunities in the industry.

Sounds like you had a plan. That's good.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by shemy: 11:39pm On Dec 15, 2011
Congrats, Pls i need some mentoring in this line. I am thinking of going for my master's degree in information security in Uk, is it worth starting this way or i should just register for some certifications?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by yamakuza: 12:01am On Dec 16, 2011
shemy:

Congrats, Pls i need some mentoring in this line. I am thinking of going for my master's degree in information security in Uk, is it worth starting this way or i should just register for some certifications?

[s]just use the £9k+ to acquire like 30 solid certifications.[/s]

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:29am On Dec 16, 2011
shemy:

yamakuza:

[s]just use the £9k+ to acquire like 30 solid certifications.[/s]

Abi, just split the £9k into two, use half to go for training in India.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 8:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
yamakuza:

Was it ZOOM u attended?

No due to logistics and inexperience. I think their 5 courses combo may be a good start from the basics and its very cheap as well.
But if you have limited time, and perhaps a bit experienced in the industry, its good you combine with another institute for advanced courses or just do without zoom.

EMANY 01:

Just saw this thread:
Very lucrative.A friend of mine  who's had CCIE R&S for a couple of months now had been receiving something ordinary.

Can that really be true? Well , 

shemy:

No problem if you can afford it. I know a secondary school holder who earn double what computer/electronics engineering graduates earn just because he has the skills (not even certifications) and people know him.
If new in the industry, take to Ajanlekoko's advice and try to get a job as soon as possible because experience is the key. Then, after a while, you can go for your masters - if necessary.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by shemy: 11:56pm On Dec 21, 2011
Thanks all, can PMY give possible information about where he did his own in India, what of all these companies in Lagos advertising these courses e.g Innobuzz
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 4:37pm On Jan 15, 2012
I was mainly at TNS institute of information technology and another institute which I really didnt enjoy.

I visited Innobuzz in New Delhi but didn't take the the course (I still feel I should have gone for it - about 40,000naira).

Still can't vouch for them though
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by shemy: 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2012
Thanks Bros,
uhm 40,000 k. but now they are asking for 120,000 in Lagos here.
Na wah o.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by NobiGod: 4:18pm On Nov 13, 2012
@pmy Why not go for CCIE security? Great demand for it right now.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by oluchy(f): 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
Pls reach across to obiikings@yahoo.com he needs a consultant for a cyber security presentation at Abuja. i am sure he will make it worth your whhile.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by pmy: 2:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
NobiGod: @pmy Why not go for CCIE security? Great demand for it right now.

Just got back to Nairaland now after some time.

In the process, I was able to obtain my CCIE in security in late 2012 and have been working with a Cisco partner/System Integrator since then.

I've however deployed solutions in wireless, MPLS and DC. Also skilled in checkpoint and riverbed among others.

I wanted to attempt CCIE SP/DC this year but the motivation was not there.

oluchy: Pls reach across to obiikings@yahoo.com he needs a consultant for a cyber security presentation at Abuja. i am sure he will make it worth your whhile.

I'll surely reach out to him if not too late.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 1:27am On Aug 21, 2014
pmy:

In the process, I was able to obtain my CCIE in security in late 2012 and have been working with a Cisco partner/System Integrator since then.

I've however deployed solutions in wireless, MPLS and DC. Also skilled in checkpoint and riverbed among others.

I wanted to attempt CCIE SP/DC this year but the motivation was not there.

I'll surely reach out to him if not too late.

For you to have a CCIE in security to me means you are very successful.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Amosiye: 10:44pm On Sep 19, 2014
What about CISSP ?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 10:49pm On Sep 19, 2014
Amosiye: What about CISSP ?

Certified Information Systems Security Professional
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 10:50pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 02, 2014
Fulaman198:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYhihbkyhYM
please how much does it takes to go to an it school . and can i use my ssce certificate to gain admission into d it school
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 6:00am On Oct 02, 2014
pwreshbawz: please how much does it takes to go to an it school . and can i use my ssce certificate to gain admission into d it school

In order to become a CISSP, you must have had a CCNA, CCNP, or MCSE for at least 4 years. You must have also been in the networking industry for about 4 - 5 years. Those are the requirements before you can join a programme for CISSPs.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 02, 2014
Fulaman198:

In order to become a CISSP, you must have had a "CCNA, CCNP, or MCSE" for at least 4 years. You must have also been in the networking industry for about 4 - 5 years. Those are the requirements before you can join a programme for CISSPs.
please define
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 7:09am On Oct 02, 2014
pwreshbawz: please define

To qualify or take the CISSP exam, you need to have at least 4-5 years of networking experience and also a CCNA/CCNP or MCSE certification to be considered.

There is more information on my Google my friend.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by chimeluiz: 10:41am On Oct 05, 2014
pmy:

I wanted to attempt CCIE SP/DC this year but the motivation was not there...

Wooow!! And you started from sociology?
You have really inspired me sir...
You bagged the dreaded CCIE at one sitting...CONGRATS sir!
I am a CCNP, currently undergoing training in CEH & wld take the CEH exam before the end of the year. I am good at PC repairs n maintenance as well as graphic n web design ...
The problem is that I am confused where to specialize, while some of my friends are suggesting we go to India for certifications others are suggesting masters while I believe a little experience is needed first at least to get some cash to fund the expenses needed for certification...

I think I am in need of a mentor embarassed and wld really appreciate your contribution smiley
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 2:41pm On Oct 05, 2014
chimeluiz:

Wooow!! And you started from sociology?
You have really inspired me sir...
You bagged the dreaded CCIE at one sitting...CONGRATS sir!
I am a CCNP, currently undergoing training in CEH & wld take the CEH exam before the end of the year. I am good at PC repairs n maintenance as well as graphic n web design ...
The problem is that I am confused where to specialize, while some of my friends are suggesting we go to India for certifications others are suggesting masters while I believe a little experience is needed first at least to get some cash to fund the expenses needed for certification...

I think I am in need of a mentor embarassed and wld really appreciate your contribution smiley

What are you learning as a certified ethical hacker thus far?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by chimeluiz: 4:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
Fulaman198:

What are you learning as a certified ethical hacker thus far?

Just three weeks into the course, I have covered Fingerprinting/Reconnaisance- which is the process of gathering information about your target using various techniques. You learn what are the necessary information required to carry out a successful hack, ways of identifying those vulnerabilities; ip addresses, usernames & passwords, Web Servers, DNSs, software versions e.t.c.
We have also learnt things to void like flash drives that you cannot verify the sources as well as started using some tools.

Soon we would get to the good stuff: SCANNING, where you probe for open ports, ip addresses, passwords e.t.c.

Anyways, I am just three weeks into the course, so I still have a lot to learn

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Cybersecurity Aspect Of ICT In Nigeria? by larion: 5:26pm On Oct 05, 2014
chimeluiz:

Just three weeks into the course, I have covered Fingerprinting/Reconnaisance- which is the process of gathering information about your target using various techniques. You learn what are the necessary information required to carry out a successful hack, ways of identifying those vulnerabilities; ip addresses, usernames & passwords, Web Servers, DNSs, software versions e.t.c.
We have also learnt things to void like flash drives that you cannot verify the sources as well as started using some tools.

Soon we would get to the good stuff: SCANNING, where you probe for open ports, ip addresses, passwords e.t.c.

Anyways, I am just three weeks into the course, so I still have a lot to learn

Boss , where r u studying this? In Nigeria? Hit me up with info, m in telecoms but rili looking at security for a change....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Share Your Experience While Working Under An Elite Person. / I Am Extremely Shy - SAD - Can I Succeed Like This / Customs To Sack 400 More Officers Or Even More - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.