Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today (2798 Views)

EFCC Docks Dasuki, Yuguda, Others On Fresh Charges Today / PDP Compiling List Of APC Governors, Candidates Facing Corruption Charges –metuh / Lucky Igbinedion To Oshiomhole: You Are The Biggest Thief In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Ovularia: 9:00am On Feb 08, 2011
Igbinedion to face corruption charges today

By Jethro Ibileke

February 8, 2011 03:50AM

There are indications that former two-time governor of Edo State, Lucky Igbinedion will be arraigned at the Federal High Court, Benin today by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to face a 26-count charge of alleged unlawful conversion and criminal diversion of 25 billion naira state government shares in two banks.

Mr Igbinedion who ruled Edo State between 1999 - 2003, had earlier been convicted and sentenced to three months imprisonment following charges of corruption brought against him by the EFCC.

He was however given an option of fine after a plea bargain.

Patriarch of Igbinedion family and father of the former governor, Gabriel Igbinedion early yesterday morning with several former associates of Governor Igbinedion who served in his administration were sighted at the Edo State government house, allegedly having consultation with the state governor, Adams Oshiomhole.

It was however not clear what he discussed with the governor, but his visit to Government House yesterday fuelled strong speculations making rounds in Benin City that the visit may not be unconnected with the pending EFCC case against his son.

A Government House source who spoke on condition of anonymity said “My brother, we are also surprised that the big man is in government house this early. Mind you his son is due to face EFCC again, I guess he is doing all he can to prevail on the state government to do all it can to save him from going to jail, like he did at his first charge in Enugu.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5675034-146/igbinedion_to_face_corruption_charges_today.csp
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by TeskyMan(m): 12:07pm On Feb 08, 2011
Why dem dey give people wey still Billions in Dollars few months with the option of fine (3million - 5million fine) and sentence people who still less than 100, 000 naira to life in prisonment without the option of fine?

Why can't we make corruption a capital offence and force the legislathieves ,sorry legislators to pass a bill that will make corrupt politician to pay 5 times whatever amount the person is convicted for? For example, Cecilia Ibru stole about 191 Billion naira under the plea bargain arrangy, why can't we make her pay 191billion x 5 = 955billion? This will serve as deterent to other wouldbe corrupt minded persons'. Abi na only me they notice this trend?

Please somebody to answer this question sharp sharp?
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by alldone(m): 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2011
stealing is stealing, i hope this judges be fair in their judgement by given them more jail term
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Fearcom(m): 12:57pm On Feb 08, 2011
it's Been a long time coming angry
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by slyopez(m): 1:11pm On Feb 08, 2011
Nigerian judiciary with their preference in judgement. I thought the law says without FEAR or FAVOUR. corruption everywhere,
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by rasputinn(m): 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2011
Here we go again
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Kobojunkie: 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2011
rasputinn:

Here we go again
With?
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Solozzo(m): 2:28pm On Feb 08, 2011
Can someone let us know how much time minimum to maximum. the Nigerian criminal code prescribed for fraud?
You see the issue is that the law distinguishes between stealing and fraud. Whereas in reality there is no difference between them. These are tricks of the law to protect senior officers from suffering a lot in prison with possibly bribery for the judges. Remember an American who duped the people last year got a life imprisonment in in the USA .There is an urgent need to review these laws in nigeria and review the duration of imprisonment upward together with seizing the stolen money or properties from the offenders, if we are serious about fighting corruption in Nigeria.

But who is gonna change the law when the legislators and other govt officials in Nigeria re hell bent on defrauding the government as well
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by nethacker(m): 5:00pm On Feb 08, 2011
this is d saddest news i hv ever heard embarassed embarassed
just 3 months!!!!!! shocked shocked
wat is wrong with our Lawyers embarassed embarassed
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by violent(m): 6:08pm On Feb 08, 2011
Nigeria needs a Jury system, ASAP!
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by seanet02: 6:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
Abeg jail am jare
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by texazzpete(m): 6:34pm On Feb 08, 2011
nethacker:

this is d saddest news i hv ever heard embarassed embarassed
just 3 months!!!!!! shocked shocked
wat is wrong with our Lawyers embarassed embarassed

The 3 months was for the earlier court trial, not this one.
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by 1988: 6:48pm On Feb 08, 2011
i was wondering after the 1st sentence if he would ever be brought to book i mean a fine of 3.5 million is ridiculous for an offence of billions. i just hope this time around it's worthwhile. seize all his properties and jail his thieving a.s.s
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by uwaifiokun: 8:21pm On Feb 08, 2011
Me, I no know why,dem even wan try am.They should just jail him. he is a thief.In short,including his father and the rest of the family and friends!
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Ehisod(m): 9:19pm On Feb 08, 2011
Guyz dis guy Lucky, is just being used in my opinion to twist his Daddy's arms in Edo politics its nothing more than that. If daddy plays along baby boy will be let off the hook (remember Ibori, 3rd term bid, and exconvict saga) and the matter will gradually fizzle out. E dey pain me sha.

Seriously, na God go save this country.
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Ehisod(m): 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
Guyz dis guy Lucky, is just being used in my opinion to twist his Daddy's arms in Edo politics its nothing more than that. If daddy plays along baby boy will be let off the hook (remember Ibori, 3rd term bid, and exconvict saga) and the matter will gradually fizzle out. E dey pain me sha.

Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by NAJALYN: 9:42pm On Feb 08, 2011
A big man steals he is congratulated & given minimum jail sentense. A small man steals as little as N1,000 he is given the beating of his life first, he stays in police custody without trial for a long time, before he eventually faces trial, & serves punishment. Its very very unfair. And now Igbinedion's dad is trying to lobby to make his son's punishment as light as possible. Of course should his son find himself in another position, he will steal even more. Afterall Papa will always come to his rescue. He forgets that his Creator will judge him for all he is doing, & that even his Papa will equally be judged. Intercession for him on that day of judgement will be completely ruled out as both will be punished.
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by scopusng(m): 10:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
Ashawo ref

Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Muza(m): 12:47am On Feb 09, 2011
Thief

Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by 2makesense: 8:56am On Feb 09, 2011
long over due,
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by mynaija123(m): 9:41am On Feb 09, 2011
Ehisod:

You are absolutely right. There has been serious politics in the state. Especially in the action congress party where Lucky and his Father were the godfathers in secret. Now oshiomole wants total control and the only way to do this is to tie the hands of the godfathers who started corruption in the state. It is purely politics and i support The Comrade to see this to the end.
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by Joe50(m): 10:05am On Feb 09, 2011
slyopez:

Nigerian judiciary with their preference in judgment. I thought the law says without FEAR or FAVOUR. corruption everywhere,

the judiciary themselves dem be thieves, how would you want them to pass without FEAR or FAVOUR judgmentangry
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by egunjeman2(m): 1:41am On Feb 10, 2011
Here we go again, lucky go settle them ooooooooo or else ok
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by seye4nii(f): 12:18pm On Feb 10, 2011
i think judge judy will soon be deploy to help us,,,,,
Re: Igbinedion To Face Corruption Charges Today by breathless(m): 1:33pm On Feb 14, 2011

Good thing you said "in my opinion" cos you`re entitled to it.

If only you know the extent to which he stole, you`d probably have a rethink. This may not be the appropriate forum for that. His father is lobbying now becos he knew all that transpired. The govt of that state was practically ran from his house.

That family is cursed.

(1) (Reply)

NNPC Took Illegal N1.4tn Fuel Subsidy –NEITI / An Eye Witness Account: Ghastly Motor Accident On Lokoja-abaji Road On Saturday / REVEALED!!!!!!Nigeria Got her Independence On The 28th Of April, 1996.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.