Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,892 members, 7,814,015 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone (58887 Views)

Please Help, NIN Issues! How Can I Unlink My Number From Another Person’s NIN? / How Can i Unlink a Phone Number From NIN? / How To Remove Your Number From Truecaller (confirmed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by izzyboi(m): 9:58am On Jul 24, 2020
When I was younger and got my first phone from my parents, I tried sometimes to call my number from my phone but it never went through for once.

As I grew older and owned a dual SIM phone, I tried to call one SIM from the other but every single time I tried, I got a reply along the lines of "Sorry, the customer is not reachable".

I believe you have tried it once (well, that's if you're inquisitive as me). So, let's get to the point of this article- why you can't call your number from your phone.

Here's a really simple explanation.

When you attempt to call yourself, your number becomes busy trying to send out a call.

What happens next?

Your number can't receive that call because it's busy trying to make a call happen!

Here's a bit technical explanation. When you attempt a call, a signal is sent to the satellite, the satellite receives it and sends it to the person who are trying to call. In the case where you're trying to call yourself, your phone is busy sending out a signal and cannot receive another at the same time.

But this is not where it ends.

Programming from network operators could be also responsible. When you call a busy line (not your phone number), the system activates call waiting.

However, in the case of calling your own phone number, the system does not allow(invoke) call waiting.

So now you know why the call never went through.

Source: https://phonedey.com.ng/blog/why-you-cant-call-your-number-from-your-phone-b5

181 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by illicit(m): 10:44am On Jul 24, 2020
grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by theoneJabulani(m): 11:33am On Jul 24, 2020
Nice

Contact me for US and UK used laptops. Free delivery available in Lagos, payment on delivery available nationwide.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by lagusboyyy(m): 12:05pm On Jul 24, 2020
This thread is quite insightful and informative.

When i was younger,i do also got intrigued,why i could not call myself with my phone,its always saying NUMBER BUSY!
This thread deserve frontpage,to educate more people.

116 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by sammoe(m): 12:16pm On Jul 24, 2020
Hehe...line up here if you've tried calling yourself. OP shey your own is on a dual SIM phone? I've tried calling myself on a single SIM phone. It's not that I was lonely or I didn't have anyone to call oh... cry

277 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by izzyboi(m): 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2020
lagusboyyy:
This thread is quite insightful and informative.

When i was younger,i do also got intrigued,why i could not call myself with my phone,its always saying NUMBER BUSY!
This thread deserve frontpage,to educate more people.

Cc:mynd44,lalasticlala,dominique,dragnet,seun.
Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by izzyboi(m): 12:45pm On Jul 24, 2020
sammoe:
Hehe...line up here if you've tried calling yourself. OP shey your own is on a dual SIM phone? I've tried calling myself on a single SIM phone. It's not that I was lonely or I didn't have anyone to call oh... cry

grin
I tried it on a single SIM phone too sha. If you're lonely, call customer care. Lol

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Vulcanheph(m): 1:18pm On Jul 24, 2020
I have done it all...using a number to call that same number or using sim 1 to call sim 2 .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by gungab(m): 1:19pm On Jul 24, 2020
Meeenh!

Have tried this before grin

What about calling another sim In a phone

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 24, 2020
cool
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by larryUG(m): 2:39pm On Jul 24, 2020
In the case of call waiting, it can only be activated when the receiver has picked up or when the receiver's phone has started ringing. In order words, the signal has been sent from your phone to the satellite and the satellite has sent a signal to the receiver's phone.

But when you are calling your own number, just like you rightly said, the satellite is sending signal but signal cannot get to to your phone cos you Cannot be sending and receiving simultaneously, hence Call waiting cannot be activated, because the call has not connected in the 1st place, so there is no call that is waiting for the 1st call.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by izzyboi(m): 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2020
larryUG:
In the case of call waiting, it can only be activated when the receiver has picked up or when the receiver's phone has started ringing. In order words, the signal has been sent from your phone to the satellite and the satellite has sent a signal to the receiver's phone.

But when you are calling your own number, just like you rightly said, the satellite is sending signal but signal cannot get to to your phone cos you Cannot be sending and receiving simultaneously, hence Call waiting cannot be activated, because the call has not connected in the 1st place, so there is no call that is waiting for the 1st call.
Well said

5 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by obasi101(m): 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
shocked shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Rebuke: 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
undecided But why will I be calling my own line inside the same phone I am holding na? When I am not high. Lols.

Ok wait, what about phones with 2 sims grin

Those mumu phone wey be say even when yhu are on call with just one of the SIMs the other won't be available if someone tries calling....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by wiseone28: 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
Thanks op
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by GODISABOVEDEVIL: 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2020
OK,

#God Is The Greatest,
#Jesus Christ Rules

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by PotatoSalad(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2020
Things we did sha.
I remember calling MTN customer care all day to ask for titles of interesting movies when I got my first phone till their Oga at the top attended to me (maybe there were complaints of my numerous calls) and said he'll barr my line if I ever call them again grin

58 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by hisexcellency34: 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2020
No brainer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Thatlong9: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ahn so?
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by pol23: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2020
I don't have problem about calling my number...I hate calls.
I only have problem with printing my own money.

2 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2020
illicit:
grin
Wetin dey funny you broda
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by ahukannakate(f): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
okay
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Fash20: 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
Its common sense. But as you know, its not common

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by Cumtroller: 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
Buhari needs this information. Always wasting his time being useless instead of solving Nigeria's problems.

Just negodu!!!.

10 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by starbuck(f): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
Nice info
Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by emmabest2000(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
OP how old are you?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by jospepper(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2020
Tried this before too.

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Can't Call Your Number From Your Phone by flexyrule(m): 3:53pm On Jul 24, 2020
Never tried it before... I hate surprises...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Anytime You Buy Fairly Used Phone, You Could Be Buying Your Way To Prison".PICS / Anybody Also Having Issues With Etisalat Simple Server / WhatsApp Is Down All Over The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.