Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion (793 Views)

Police Apologizes To Olu Of Warri Over Erroneous Invitation / Heavy Deployment Of Soldiers Good For Rivers People – Amaechi / 'My Election Is Done & Dusted' - Wike Tells Rivers People To Deliver Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by lacasera14(m): 8:36am On Aug 03, 2020
I don't know who proposed that theory, carried out the experiment and certified it a fact for propagation that Rivers people don't travel. In as much as Rivers State is Nigeria's third largest economy and most important state where people migrate to for greener pastures, it's indigenes are still residents of other states. Travelling is a personal choice and not what you attribute to a whole state. I've seen Rivers People in Kano and Kaduna infact they even have an association alongside Bayelsa people. Rivers people have civil servants who get transferred to to other states. Uniport and UST can't be everyone's choice so Rivers Students are almost every University in Nigeria with NURSS full established there. Rivers people are in the army, navy, police and virtually every endeavor you can think of in this life that demands moving out. The oil in Rivers can not favor everyone, some are into tech and Lagos is the choice location. They don't have to leave their place to go and do business in osogbo before you say they travel. You can say they don't go out for business but asserting that they don't travel as whole is only ridiculous and unwise. Stop peddling falsehood about a people when you've not conducted a statistics. I'm from Rivers and I love travelling. Half of my family members were born and breed in Lagos, they speak Yoruba fluently and married Yoruba women. I have uncles in Kaduna who have been there since I was kid. I have relatives in Enugu as well. I'm in Jigawa at the moment after staying in Akwa Ibom for many years. Both locations I've met Rivers people who based there. So quit the generalizations already.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Ilaumoh(m): 8:43am On Aug 03, 2020
lacasera14:
I don't know who proposed that theory, carried out the experiment and certified it a fact for propagation that Rivers people don't travel. In as much as Rivers State is Nigeria's third largest economy and most important state where people migrate to for greener pastures, it's indigenes are still residents of other states. Travelling is a personal choice and not what you attribute to a whole state. I've seen Rivers People in Kano and Kaduna infact they even have an association alongside Bayelsa people. Rivers people have civil servants who get transferred to to other states. Uniport and UST can't be everyone's choice so Rivers Students are almost every University in Nigeria with NURSS full established there. Rivers people are in the army, navy, police and virtually every endeavor you can think of in this life that demands moving out. The oil in Rivers can not favor everyone, some are into tech and Lagos is the choice location. They don't have to leave their place to go and do business in osogbo before you say they travel. You can say they don't go out for business but asserting that they don't travel as whole is only ridiculous and unwise. Stop peddling falsehood about a people when you've not conducted a statistics. I'm from Rivers and I love travelling. Half of my family members were born and breed in Lagos, they speak Yoruba fluently and married Yoruba women. I have uncles in Kaduna who have been there since I was kid. I have relatives in Enugu as well. I'm in Jigawa at the moment after staying in Akwa Ibom for many years. Both locations I've met Rivers people who based there. So quit the generalizations already.
Its strange to know that militancy , cultism and even Lazy people headquarter (Iraq of Nigeria) has people leaving outside it degrading shores... embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by lacasera14(m): 8:45am On Aug 03, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Its strange to know that militancy , cultism and even Lazy people capital (Iraq of Nigeria) has people leaving outside it degrading shores... embarassed
One spotted. Continue.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Ilaumoh(m): 8:57am On Aug 03, 2020
lacasera14:
One spotted. Continue.
Spotted what? Musa is shocked na

2 Likes

Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:03am On Aug 03, 2020
stop speaking on your own personal opinions and convictions. ...most Rivers state especially the oil producing indigenes n ikwerre people don't like travelling to settle and resides in other states, they see it as baseless, since in their own notions what are they looking for in another man's land wen no dey dia own!
well for me, why will I leave my state when am better employed n paid here...

3 Likes

Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Ilaumoh(m): 9:08am On Aug 03, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
stop speaking on your own personal opinions and convictions. ...most Rivers state especially the oil producing indigenes n ikwerre people don't like travelling to settle and resides in other states, they see it as baseless, since in their own notions what are they looking for in another man's land wen no dey dia own!
Meaning your from Rivers State with that name(Uwakwe)?
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Spiff20(m): 9:10am On Aug 03, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
So because one tribe you'll summarize the lifestyle of a people? By the way the Ikwerres don't travel compared to which tribe?
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Spiff20(m): 9:16am On Aug 03, 2020
People travel for varying intentions. If one is self sufficient where he is, should he just wake up one morning to migrate? Imagine someone receiving close to 400k in a construction company you want him to just abadon it and travel out to look for job elsewhere?
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:39am On Aug 03, 2020
Ilaumoh:

Meaning your from Rivers State with that name(Uwakwe)?

you think am igbo?. ..lol....or is Uwakwe not a Nigerian name ? even here we answer Njoku, chikodi, Nwachukwu, Adindu, Amadi, Chijioke...
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by SmartPolician: 10:35am On Aug 03, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

lacasera14, you need to do so much to convince many of us who are not from Rivers but understand your people.

Much as that is often the case, leaving one's home is not only about getting greener pastures. People travel to learn, have a better view of life and mix up with other tribes. Besides, it takes a lot of courage to leave one's home for a strange land, to reside there and earn a living.

I have lived in Port Harcourt and Okrika for many years. Admittedly, Rivers State is a rich state. However, a considerable percentage of the rural community dwellers live in abject poverty. Yet, they wouldn't leave their communities to get a better life elsewhere.

Unlike in Rivers State, changing one's location to visit some other parts of the country is a norm in the east. Since the Igbos migrated in their droves to live in other parts of the country after the war, the Igbos keep inviting others over to stay with them.

That's why it is rare to see just one Igbo man living in a community. We always expand and build ourselves good homes wherever we are. That's why I always laugh when people say that the Igbos hate themselves. However, traveling can also bring one loads of insults like we always see on Nairaland.

This is no attempt to cause chaos between the two peoples, but I am only trying to point out the disparity between them.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by HarryDuce(m): 11:33am On Aug 03, 2020
lacasera14:
It's very convenient for intellectually lazy people to make broad and hasty assumptions about a whole group of people like is the case with some Nigerians. You'll learn to ignore it. I've heard this "Rivers people don't travel" like forever.

There are many Rivers indigenes in Lagos and Kaduna and Abuja, as well as neighbouring states like Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa.

Travelling outside the country is also a given for many of them because... How many states can be regarded as an upgrade to Rivers State?
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by bigpriik: 11:42am On Aug 03, 2020
valentineuwakwe:

you think am igbo?. ..lol....or is Uwakwe not a Nigerian name ? even here we answer Njoku, chikodi, Nwachukwu, Adindu, Amadi, Chijioke...

You are not Igbo you are binikwerre... wink

1 Like

Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Spiff20(m): 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2020
bigpriik:

You are not Igbo you are binikwerre... wink
Why you making jest of it? I thought Zik said his grandfather was from Benin and even C.C. Onoh's son.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Kinematics: 12:38pm On Aug 03, 2020
Ilaumoh:

[s]Its strange to know that militancy , cultism and even Lazy headquarter (Iraq of Nigeria) has people leaving outside it degrading shores..[/s]. embarassed

Its never strange to know that illiteracy and poverty has eaten so deep into your medulla.

Oya go open that gate for your oga grin
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Admissionclass: 12:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
Spiff20:
Why you making jest of it? I thought Zik said his grandfather was from Benin and even C.C. Onoh's son.
Zik is not an Igbo man he is from Senegal..a British mercenary..
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Spiff20(m): 12:43pm On Aug 03, 2020
Admissionclass:

Zik is not an Igbo man he is from Senegal..a British mercenary..
Wow where did you get this one from?
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by mrvitalis(m): 12:47pm On Aug 03, 2020
HarryDuce:
It's very convenient for intellectually lazy people to make broad and hasty assumptions about a whole group of people like is the case with some Nigerians. You'll learn to ignore it. I've heard this "Rivers people don't travel" like forever.

There are many Rivers indigenes in Lagos and Kaduna and Abuja, as well as neighbouring states like Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa.

Travelling outside the country is also a given for many of them because... How many states can be regarded as an upgrade to Rivers State?
That's the issue ...u guys only want to travel to a place that's an upgrade ?

Igbos are all over the north ...is the north and upgrade ? ... Chinese are a over Nigeria is Nigeria an upgrade ? ..... relatively speaking rivers people don't travel that's a fact I grew up in Port Harcourt
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by Admissionclass: 12:49pm On Aug 03, 2020
mrvitalis:

Igbos are all over the north ...is the north and upgrade ? ... Chinese are a over Nigeria is Nigeria an upgrade ? ..... relatively speaking rivers people don't travel that's a fact I grew up in Port Harcourt

An average RIVERS man is unexposed ,I travelled I immediately missed Lagos And came back in just 3 months boring people..
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by mrvitalis(m): 1:08pm On Aug 03, 2020
Admissionclass:

An average RIVERS man is unexposed ,I travelled I immediately missed Lagos And came back in just 3 months boring people..
A place is as enjoyable as the people u roll with
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by HarryDuce(m): 1:21pm On Aug 03, 2020
mrvitalis:

Well, if it's not for the purpose of vacationing (which many Rivers indigenes do), what's the point of relocating --or travelling-- if there isn't much money to be made?

Rivers people are not "40 million strong" like the Igbos or in the billions like the Chinese. I don't see why you'd expect them to leave their state in their numbers to go somewhere less prosperous.

I could argue that the north is an upgrade to -- Kaduna and Kano at least-- Ebonyi and Abia.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by jamesversion: 7:29am On Aug 04, 2020
mrvitalis:

Stella Maris boy calm down. People travel because of available economic opportunities and also because of ease of access to those opportunities. Given Nigeria's indigenous setup, It will be easier for a Riverian to get a job in a company in Rivers than to get same job elsewhere. And like someone said, Only Lagos can be considered an upgrade on Rivers. So it begs the question, why travel out when you have something good here.

This talking about the foreigners in Nigeria need to understand that the Chinese, Americans, Dutch, Italinas etc do not come to Nigeria to seek for Jobs. They come to Nigeria to invest their money and make profits off Nigerians. They are investors and not jobseekers. Let Igbos not confuse themselves, setting up a company to employ persons is not same as buying and selling in shops as usually done by Igbos.

No need to compare foreign investors in Nigeria with Igbos in Katsina and Funtua. Igbos don't create jobs there, they only engage in buying and selling.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by jamesversion: 7:40am On Aug 04, 2020
Admissionclass:

Be truthful in your life. Port Harcourt measures up to Lagos, so why will the inhabitants be unexposed.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by lacasera14(m): 7:05am On Aug 09, 2020
HarryDuce:
Well, if it's not for the purpose of vacationing (which many Rivers indigenes do), what's the point of relocating --or travelling-- if there isn't much money to be made?

Rivers people are not "40 million strong" like the Igbos or in the billions like the Chinese. I don't see why you'd expect them to leave their state in their numbers to go somewhere less prosperous.

I could argue that the north is an upgrade to -- Kaduna and Kano at least-- Ebonyi and Abia.
You took the words out of my mouth bro. I don't know why the fuss. Rivers is just one state with bounty resources and get they expect them to be everywhere.
Re: Rivers People Don't Travel: An Erroneous Notion by lacasera14(m): 7:07am On Aug 09, 2020
Admissionclass:

Have you met me? Average kee you there!!

(1) (Reply)

Prof Nora Dadu'ut Wins Apc Senatorial Primaries For Plateau South / I Pity IPOB Youths Because I Can Bribe Their Useless Leader Anyday - Osibanjo / #EndSars:Atiku Speaks On Endsars Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.