Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,377 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Christain Vs Born Again - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christain Vs Born Again (2781 Views)

Christain Vs Jew..am Confused,why The Indifference / Keys For A Happy Marriage- A Christain Perspective / Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christain Vs Born Again by esmeralda1(f): 1:13pm On Feb 11, 2011
Recently from a sermon i deduced that being born again is different from being a christain. that it takes a born again to become a christain ie christ like------ being christ like in terms of how jesus did while on earth in terms of prayer, compassion, giving and other attributes of jesus.

Is this deduction right or they are the same
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by nuella2(f): 2:10pm On Feb 11, 2011
esmeralda1:

Recently from a sermon i deduced that being born again is different from being a christain. that it takes a born again to become a christain ie christ like------ being christ like in terms of how jesus did while on earth in terms of prayer, compassion, giving and other attributes of jesus.

Is this deduction right or they are the same

Hope you are not mixing things here. Now people call someone that goes to church a christian but someone is not a christian just because he/she goes to church. It is a born again man that is a christian, because he lives a christ-like life. If someone is born again(dedicated his life to christ) then he is a christian.

And it goes beyond just been nice and having a religious look outwardly. It got to do with the persons believe system, convictions and daily walk.
People called the follows of christ christians cos they lived like christ. Thats why we are admonished to shine in the world so pple will SEE our good works and glorify our father in heaven.

Christianity is living from inside out. Living the life we have received from christ.
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 11, 2011
unfortunately one can never become a christian until you are born again by the renewing water of baptism and of the holy spirit.Technically speaking,there is nothing like unborn again christians,it is either you are a born again christian or simply not a christian
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by seyibrown(f): 3:49pm On Feb 11, 2011
You can be Christian in 'name only' or Christian 'in name and in deed'! The latter would be Born-again and Christ-like.
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by mabell: 4:46pm On Feb 11, 2011
chukwudi44:

unfortunately one can never become a christian until you are born again by the renewing water of baptism and of the holy spirit.Technically speaking,there is nothing like unborn again Christians,it is either you are a born again christian or simply not a christian

Stop spreading the wrong gospel
You can be a christian and not be born again. The bible says

because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: 10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
Romans 10:9-10 (ASV)

There is a confession to be made. A child could be born into a christian home, he could grow up in the church and still not be born again until he acknowledges and confesses Jesus as his Lord and accepts him. It's simple logic
The fact that your parents are born again does not make you born again
You are either a born again christian or a christian( probably church goer and worker) that is not born again
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by nuella2(f): 4:51pm On Feb 11, 2011
^^^
Dont you think you guys are saying thesame thing?

Go through his post again.
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 11, 2011
There is a confession to be made. A child could be born into a christian home, he could grow up in the church and still not be born again until he acknowledges and confesses Jesus as his Lord and accepts him

So you are saying in esence that the criteria for being a christian is to be born in a christian home abi?A man cn be going to church every day and yet he is not a christian haven't you ever thought of that ?You cannot be a christian if you don't beleive in Jesus,even if you follow your parents to church,the day you accepts Jesus and gets baptised is the day you become a christian.

because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: 10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation

Even if you confess verbally and still refuse to get baptised ,you are still not born again
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by mabell: 10:03pm On Feb 11, 2011
Your case is worse than i thought.
this was what i said

A child could be born into a christian home, he could grow up in the church and still not be born again until he acknowledges and confesses Jesus as his Lord and accepts him

And this is what you said:

So you are saying in esence that the criteria for being a christian is to be born in a christian home abi?A man cn be going to church every day and yet he is not a christian haven't you ever thought of that ?You cannot be a christian if you don't beleive in Jesus

I'll give you the benefit of doubt, you did not properly read or understand my post
Anyway, this is my concern:

chukwudi44:

So you are saying in esence that the criteria for being a christian is to be born in a christian home abi?A man cn be going to church every day and yet he is not a christian haven't you ever thought of that ?You cannot be a christian if you don't beleive in Jesus,even if you follow your parents to church,the day you accepts Jesus and gets baptised is the day you become a christian.
Even if you confess verbally and still refuse to get baptised ,you are still not born again

where did you get this from from the bible and could you please compare your findings with Romans 10:9,10
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by seyibrown(f): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2011
chukwudi44:

Are you really saying that those who accept Christ with their last breath, and other 'persecuted' people who get no chance for water baptism are not saved?

Salvation is not about 'religious rites'; It is by grace through faith!
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by JeSoul(f): 10:11pm On Feb 11, 2011
seyibrown:

Are you really saying that those who accept Christ with their last breath, and other 'persecuted' people who get no chance for water baptism are not saved?

Salvation is not about 'religious rites'; It is by grace through faith!

Seyi, my sister lemme save both you and my dear Chuks some trouble. I have 'fought' with Chukwudi on this matter before  cheesy here's the thread:

Would Someone Go To Hell If He Doesn't Do Water Baptism?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-420977.0.html
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by mabell: 10:34pm On Feb 11, 2011
@Chukwudi
sad shocked tongue embarassed undecided cry
your own don finish
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by seyibrown(f): 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for posting the thread, JeSoul! I found it amazing that some people on that thread said BAPTISM was compulsory because Jesus did it but went on to say that IMMERSION (which is most likely what Jesus did) itself did not matter! Why be sprinkled when Jesus was (commanded) immersed?

Holy water, Crosses, 'crossing', Heavy robes, grand titles, church attendance, giving all you have to the poor, sprinkling of water, sprinkling of 'sand', immersion,  etc DO NOT save us; only GRACE (non-circumcision and non-water baptism is covered under grace) through faith in Christ does!
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by Joagbaje(m): 12:43am On Feb 12, 2011
chukwudi44:

unfortunately one can never become a christian until you are born again by the renewing water of baptism and of the holy spirit.Technically speaking,there is nothing like unborn again christians,it is either you are a born again christian or simply not a christian

As much as I agree with you that a man is not a christens until He's born again, but your definition of born again has an issue. A man us not born again by water baptism which is a ceremonial cleansing. When Jesus said a man must be born by water and the spirit, he refers to the word of God as water and not water baptism .
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by Nobody: 12:31pm On Feb 12, 2011

This is a differant scenario you are talking about,I am not God but I don't think God will punish those who did not baptise because they weren't given opportunity to.he People I am talking about are those who insist that thwere is no need of baptism and srturbonly refuses to get baptised because they think it is not necessary for salvation.

where did you get this from from the bible and could you please compare your findings with Romans 10:9,10

37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do ?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Matthew 3:13-16 (New International Version, ©2010)

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”
15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.

your own don finish

See this mugu wey pastor chris don chop finish

As much as I agree with you that a man is not a christens until He's born again, but your definition of born again has an issue. A man us not born again by water baptism which is a ceremonial cleansing. When Jesus said a man must be born by water and the spirit, he refers to the word of God as water and not water baptism

Could you biblically throw more light on the boldened portion
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by italo: 6:39am On Mar 12, 2011
, and he still cant throw more light even after a whole month.
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by Joagbaje(m): 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2011
chukwudi44:

mabell:

Stop spreading the wrong gospel
You can be a christian and not be born again.

Mabel chukwudi seems to be more correct than you here o. How can someone be born again without being a christian. A man that is not born again is not a christian. That's the point chukwudi was making. But the issue now should be what is the definition of "BORN AGAIN" from his perspective and yours.

@chukwudi
But water baptism is not what brings salvation. I know he based his point on John 3

John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

But the water being referred to here is not water baptism. Remember that the Jew already had a water baptism by John, Jesus was refering to the word of God as water as in other scriptures.

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word

John 4:14
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Baptism was a ceremonial washing . But the washing of the word is the agency for salvation. Baptism is only required after a man has been saved.

1 Corinthians 1:17
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel. . . ,
Re: Christain Vs Born Again by mabell: 12:59pm On Mar 12, 2011
@joagbaje,
i see it too, thanks

@chukwudi,
sorry, maybe i didn't take adequate time to read through your posts
what i wanted to say is that some people say they are christians because they are born into christian homes and go to churches, so if you ask if they are christians they say yes but unless a man is born again he is not a christian
i guess we are saying the same thing differently
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Storehouses Of Heaven / God Blessed Israel But Cursed Canaan. / Shakiti Bobo Remix As Gospel Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.