Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,006 members, 7,810,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming (1830 Views)

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? / What I Noticed In My Hotel Room / Any Nigerian In Kigali, Rwanda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 1:13pm On Aug 08, 2020
What's this that's coming

1 Share

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by yanabasee1(m): 1:18pm On Aug 08, 2020
Which is why, Our Yahoo brothers are migrating to Ghana.
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by LabuleofNigeria: 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2020
Very soon, nigerians might be travelling to ghana to hustle. Omase ooo...Mighty falls
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Peteru1st(m): 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2020
imagine o. just ordinary Ghana down there!! Nigeria don almost finish. na small remain
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Sammiel: 1:47pm On Aug 08, 2020
Where were you when the Ghanaian government through their central bank made an adjustment to their currency value by removing certain number of digits? Obviously, the upward trend could not have happened because of their trade or forex gains in such a very short period. It was the same thing Obj reportedly wanted to do but our law makers kicked against the idea and that was the last time we heard about it.

3 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2020
Sammiel:
Where were you when the Ghanaian government through their central bank made an adjustment to their currency value by removing certain number of digits? Obviously, the upward trend could not have happened because of their trade or forex gains in such a very short period. It was the same thing Obj reportedly wanted to do but our law makers kicked against the idea and that was the last time we heard about it.
Obj or yaradua?
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 1:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
LabuleofNigeria:
Very soon, nigerians might be travelling to ghana to hustle. Omase ooo...Mighty falls
I tell u
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 1:52pm On Aug 08, 2020
Peteru1st:
imagine o. just ordinary Ghana down there!! Nigeria don almost finish. na small remain
Was shocked when I saw this on bing.com
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by WoundedLamb: 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2020
Same old story.

Cedi was redenominated (10, 000 old cedis = 1 new cedi) in 2007 thus making 1 cedi to be 0.9USD (all the way from 10,000USD). Does this mean their economy was better than that of the US then? No! That doesn't necessarily reflect the strength of the economy. Nigeria could easily knock off zeros from their Naira (say N100 will be N1000) and match up but does that really solve our economic problems? If N1000 could only purchase a fowl and after redenominating, the new N100 can still purchase only a fowl, then it's just an internal thing and doesn't reflect or change the true strength of your currency in the international market. If you were earning N5000 a week and still earns N500 a week after such redenomination, how has that really helped you?

Redenomination is a money management strategy aimed at ensuring portability, security and easier calculation. It doesn't reflect the value of the currency. What matters is the value (what money can buy) and the power (how much of it you have).

Thanks

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:
Same old story.

Cedi was redenominated (10, 000 old cedis = 1 new cedi) in 2007 thus making 1 cedi to be 0.9USD (all the way from 10,000USD). Does this mean their economy was better than that of the US then? No! That doesn't necessarily reflect the strength of the economy. Nigeria could easily knock off zeros from their Naira (say N100 will be N1000) and match up but does that really solve our economic problems? If N1000 could purchase only purchase a fowl and after redenominating, the new N100 can still purchase only a fowl, then it's just an internal thing and doesn't reflect or change the true strength of your currency in the international market. If you were earning N5000 a week and still earns N500 a week after such redenomination, how has that really helped you?

Redenomination is a money management strategy aimed at ensuring portability, security and easier calculation. It doesn't reflect the value of the currency. What matters is the value (what money can buy) and the power (how much of it you have).

Thanks
Well..I don't thoroughly understand u...Bit I will ask...Does that mean what I can buy with the 1000old cedi is thesame with what I will buy with the the prevent 1cedi or would be less that the present 1cedi

1 Like

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Sammiel: 2:46pm On Aug 08, 2020
abiolamitodun:
Obj or yaradua?
Perhaps you are right.
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Arinze01(m): 2:59pm On Aug 08, 2020
That's redenominating. They removed 4 zeros from their digits to make it flexible for them. Prof Soludo tried replicating that policy whilst he was still the CBN governor but it was rejected by our law-makers..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by infogenerator(m): 5:16pm On Aug 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:
Same old story.

Cedi was redenominated (10, 000 old cedis = 1 new cedi) in 2007 thus making 1 cedi to be 0.9USD (all the way from 10,000USD). Does this mean their economy was better than that of the US then? No! That doesn't necessarily reflect the strength of the economy. Nigeria could easily knock off zeros from their Naira (say N100 will be N1000) and match up but does that really solve our economic problems? If N1000 could purchase only purchase a fowl and after redenominating, the new N100 can still purchase only a fowl, then it's just an internal thing and doesn't reflect or change the true strength of your currency in the international market. If you were earning N5000 a week and still earns N500 a week after such redenomination, how has that really helped you?

Thanks
Thanks for the education man! You really explained it as it is.

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by WoundedLamb: 6:24pm On Aug 08, 2020
abiolamitodun:

Well..I don't thoroughly understand u...Bit I will ask...Does that mean what I can buy with the 1000old cedi is thesame with what I will buy with the the prevent 1cedi or would be less that the present 1cedi

As at that July 2007, both had the same value. Of course, just like many other African currencies, cedis hasn't really been doing so great against the USD so presently, the value has also gone down a little (1USD is now more than 5 GHc). So the new 1GHc may not be able to purchase a foreign good it could purchase back in 2007 but this second part has little to do with the denomination cause even if they were still using the old currency, it would have still had the same effect.
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Sicilyjoe: 6:43pm On Aug 08, 2020
Poster u need to see this too,

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Petyprincess(f): 6:52pm On Aug 08, 2020
I honestly hope naira wnt be useless as Zimbabwe dolar embarassed

1 Like

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 7:26pm On Aug 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:

As at that July 2007, both had the same value. Of course, just like many other African currencies, cedis hasn't really been doing so great against the USD so presently, the value has also gone down a little (1USD is now more than 5 GHc). So the new 1GHc may not be able to purchase a foreign good it could purchase back in 2007 but this second part has little to do with the denomination cause even if they were still using the old currency, it would have still had the same effect.
So that means that 1cidi is greater than the naira...?
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 7:27pm On Aug 08, 2020
Sicilyjoe:
Poster u need to see this too,
For real?..
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by WoundedLamb: 9:13pm On Aug 08, 2020
abiolamitodun:

So that means that 1cidi is greater than the naira...?

Short answer:
In terms of norminal value, yes but in terms of economic value, no. In terms of normal value, the Ghanaian Cedis is even greater than the Japanese currency but this obviously has no implication on the economy. Both the Japanese economy and the Nigerian economy are still far ahead of that of Ghana. In summery, Nigerians have higher purchasing power, the living standard in Nigeria is higher and inflation is still lower in Nigeria.

Long answer:
Let me try my best to explain this further. You see, there was a great inflation in Ghana up to 2007 where cedis was almost worthless. People had to carry heavy notes about and calculations were hectic. At this time, not only was 1 Naira equal to 150 Cedis (it was actually more but I chose 150 for ease of calculation), 750 Cedis (5 Naira) could not buy anything at all due to inflation. So even though 750 Cedis was 5 Naira, it still could not buy what 5 Naira would buy in Nigeria. Salaries were also higher in Nigeria. So Nigeria generally had higher purchasing power. Now Ghana redenominated in July 2007 making 1Cedi (10,000 old Cedis) to be equal to 1 USD which was about 300 Naira (rounded to the nearest 100). While this made their life more convenient in terms of money management, it does not in any way affect Naira or change the fact that Nigeria still has higher purchasing power. This is because the 300 Naira (which then became 1 Cedi) could still purchase more than what 1 Cedi could buy. This is still the case till today. Therefore, while Cedi has more nominal value, Naira still has more economic value.

Clear?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by abiolamitodun(m): 10:09pm On Aug 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Short answer:
In terms of norminal value, yes but in terms of economic value, no. In terms of normal value, the Ghanaian Cedis is even greater than the Japanese currency but this obviously has no implication on the economy. Both the Japanese economy and the Nigerian economy are still far ahead of that of Ghana. In summery, Nigerians have higher purchasing power, the living standard in Nigeria is higher and inflation is still lower in Nigeria.

Long answer:
Let me try my best to explain this further. You see, there was a great inflation in Ghana up to 2007 where cedis was almost worthless. People had to carry heavy notes about and calculations were hectic. At this time, not only was 1 Naira equal to 150 Cedis (it was actually more but I chose 150 for ease of calculation), 750 Cedis (5 Naira) could not buy anything at all due to inflation. So even though 750 Cedis was 5 Naira, it still could not buy what 5 Naira would buy in Nigeria. Salaries were also higher in Nigeria. So Nigeria generally had higher purchasing power. Now Ghana redenominated in July 2007 making 1Cedi (10,000 old Cedis) to be equal to 1 USD which was about 300 Naira (rounded to the nearest 100). While this made their life more convenient in terms of money management, it does not in any way affect Naira or change the fact that Nigeria still has higher purchasing power. This is because the 300 Naira (which then became 1 Cedi) could still purchase more than what 1 Cedi could buy. This is still the case till today. Therefore, while Cedi has more nominal value, Naira still has more economic value.

Clear?
I nw understand

3 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by punisha: 2:38am On Aug 09, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Short answer:

Long answer:

Clear?

U earned a follower/fan
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by WoundedLamb: 3:19am On Aug 09, 2020
punisha:

U earned a follower/fan

Thank you for the accolade. This is probably the only post of mine you'd like, trust me. Lol
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Lamiri(m): 3:43am On Aug 09, 2020
for more info check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9DWoildPkA
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by spiralwedge(m): 7:57am On Aug 09, 2020
WoundedLamb:
Same old story.

Cedi was redenominated (10, 000 old cedis = 1 new cedi) in 2007 thus making 1 cedi to be 0.9USD (all the way from 10,000USD). Does this mean their economy was better than that of the US then? No! That doesn't necessarily reflect the strength of the economy. Nigeria could easily knock off zeros from their Naira (say N100 will be N1000) and match up but does that really solve our economic problems? If N1000 could only purchase a fowl and after redenominating, the new N100 can still purchase only a fowl, then it's just an internal thing and doesn't reflect or change the true strength of your currency in the international market. If you were earning N5000 a week and still earns N500 a week after such redenomination, how has that really helped you?

Thanks

You are partially right. The truth is that it affects the citizen's psyche.

A country not using coins, that cant think in bits, but in large round figures is heading to disaster.

Children grow up adjusting to large figures and hearing millionaires all the time. Ever wondered why our millenials glorify in yahoo yahoo? There's a way low figures brings about contentment and humility.

A price of commodity that must increase from N50 can only do so by 100%. From N50 to N100, especially transportation business.

What about handling? Why do i need a bulky purse to carry money in a "cashless" economy? Because the least thing i spend money on on a daily basis has two zeroes (00) at the back. Why are bullion vans everywhere? In London, i remember that £50 note was huge when i lived there. It is rarely seen in public, even £20 note. Most daily expenses were in coins and patapata were in £5 to £10 notes. Same with Ghana.
Russia too removed many zeroes in the late 90s.
So you see how it affects the common man psychologically?

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by punisha: 8:17am On Aug 09, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Thank you for the accolade. This is probably the only post of mine you'd like, trust me. Lol

U be werey!
We all are...
Lol.
I'm sure there's more to learn from u.
Cheers bruh
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by funmike83(f): 10:00am On Aug 09, 2020
God
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Torture2020: 10:37am On Aug 09, 2020
What do you mean by the Nigerian economy is ahead of that of Ghana? What parameters are you using?

What is the level of inflation in Ghana and Nigeria? What is life expectancy in Nigeria compared with Ghana? What is GDP/economic growth in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? What is Nigeria’s per capita GDP, compared with Ghana?

What is the level of unemployment in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? What is the poverty level in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? How is Nigeria ranked in terms of access to health care, quality education, electricity and personal security?

Ghana is far ahead of Nigeria on all these indices. So when you say “the Nigerian economy is ahead of Ghana” can you provide credible and verifiable evidence? Talk is cheap cool

Yes, Ghana redominated her currency, but there is nothing special about that. What you failed to mention was the fact that the Ghanaians has been one of the fastest growing in Africa. The Ghanaian economy has been growing consistently around 6% in the past decade or so. If you want to talk about how Nigeria and Ghana are doing on the economic front, then provide figures and stop your shambolic innuendos and needless attempts to rubbish the great achievements of Ghanaians in trying to rebuild their economy. Naira has more economic value, and yet Nigeria has become the undisputed champions and headquarters of world poverty?

WoundedLamb:

Short answer:

Long answer:

Clear?

2 Likes

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Torture2020: 10:43am On Aug 09, 2020
Fuckeduppedness cool Did you say “ordinary” Ghana? If indeed Ghana is ordinary, I wonder what you will call Nigeria grin
Peteru1st:
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Peteru1st(m): 12:05pm On Aug 09, 2020
Torture2020:

Fuckeduppedness cool Did you say “ordinary” Ghana? If indeed Ghana is ordinary, I wonder what you will call Nigeria grin

Nigeria is nothing jere
Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by WoundedLamb: 3:32pm On Aug 09, 2020
Torture2020:
What do you mean by the Nigerian economy is ahead of that of Ghana? What parameters are you using?

What is the level of inflation in Ghana and Nigeria? What is life expectancy in Nigeria compared with Ghana? What is GDP/economic growth in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? What is Nigeria’s per capita GDP, compared with Ghana?

What is the level of unemployment in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? What is the poverty level in Nigeria, compared with Ghana? How is Nigeria ranked in terms of access to health care, quality education, electricity and personal security?

Ghana is far ahead of Nigeria on all these indices. So when you say “the Nigerian economy is ahead of Ghana” can you provide credible and verifiable evidence? Talk is cheap cool

Yes, Ghana redominated her currency, but there is nothing special about that. What you failed to mention was the fact that the Ghanaians has been one of the fastest growing in Africa. The Ghanaian economy has been growing consistently around 6% in the past decade or so. If you want to talk about how Nigeria and Ghana are doing on the economic front, then provide figures and stop your shambolic innuendos and needless attempts to rubbish the great achievements of Ghanaians in trying to rebuild their economy. Naira has more economic value, and yet Nigeria has become the undisputed champions and headquarters of world poverty?

Bro, you are getting very emotional with all your responses here. This is a mere discussion and not a fight. Rubbish Ghana? Why would I rubbish Ghana? Where I live, the white man doesn't care where you are from. So this is not a Ghana vs Nigeria thing (that's childish). If you had read a couple of posts down, you'd see where I gave a further explanation by comparing the purchasing power of both currencies. Besides, Nigerian economy is not the same as Ghanaian's. And that's merely because Nigeria is a much bigger country, far more populated and thus more economically vibrant due to the larger market. Isn't this glaring? Must we argue over everything on Nairaland?

Parameter wise, Ghanaian economy is growing and when expressed in terms of percentage of its former state, it's at a higher rate than Nigeria's (7.9% as against 6.6%) but it's not up to Nigeria's economy and it will take a miracle to get up to that given the size difference. But in terms of purchasing power parity, Naira is more than 40% higher. (This means 1Naira can purchase in Nigeria more than its Ghanaian Cedis equivalent can purchase in Ghana thus making Ghana a more expensive place). This is because Nigerian GDP (total worth of finished goods/services produced in the country) will always be higher because Nigeria has more industries.

In summary, Nigerian currency has higher basket worth (PPP) due to the high GDP. Nigeria's revenue is more than 100% higher than that of Ghana which means she can afford more amenities. Nigeria has more industries. Cost of living is lower in Nigeria. However, Nigeria has more number of poor people. Ghana's economy is growing at a slightly higher rate. Ghana has better wealth distribution scheme.

For discussion sake, you really need to understand the indices of the poverty report you're mentioning. Before Nigeria was termed the poverty capital, it was India. Now, does that mean the economy of Ghana was better than that of India too? Of course, not. It is a function of population (the same population that constitute the source of economic vibrancy). The number of poor people in Nigeria will always be higher. If it were expressed in percentage, it would have been South Sudan (with more than 95%). Ghana has done well by moving from more than 45% to much less while Nigeria remains above that. However, the huge norminal difference in terms of population means that it takes elevating a fewer people above poverty line in Ghana to reduce the percentage than it takes in Nigeria. This explanation does not undermine the efforts of Ghana in the area of poverty reduction and most importantly, wealth distribution (where Nigeria is seriously lagging behind). Nigeria just has more money to spend. The US has more poor people than Canada, it doesn't mean the Canadian economy is better.

I'm probably not going to contribute any further to this chat cause I shy away from any emotionally charged threads but if you have any sincere question, I'd be willing to answer.

Good morning.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Any Nigerian Noticed This...what's This Coming by Coder2Client(m): 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Bro, you are getting very emotional with all your responses here. This is a mere discussion and not a fight. Rubbish Ghana? Why would I rubbish Ghana? Where I leave, the white man doesn't care where you are from. So this is not a Ghana vs Nigeria thing (that's childish). If you had read a couple of posts down, you'd see where I gave a further explanation by comparing the purchasing power of both currencies. Besides, Nigerian economy is not the same as Ghanaian's. And that's merely because Nigeria is a much bigger country, far more populated and thus more economically vibrant due to the larger market. Isn't this glaring? Must we argue over everything on Nairaland?

Parameter wise, Ghanaian economy is growing and when expressed in terms of percentage of its former state, it's at a higher rate than Nigeria's (7.9% as against 6.6%) but it's not up to Nigeria's economy and it will take a miracle to get up to that given the size difference. But in terms of purchasing power parity, Naira is more than 40% higher. (This means 1Naira can purchase in Nigeria more than its Ghanaian Cedis equivalent can purchase in Ghana thus making Ghana a more expensive place). This is because Nigerian GDP (total worth of finished goods/services produced in the country) will always be higher because Nigeria has more industries.

In summary, Nigerian currency has higher basket worth (PPP) due to the high GDP. Nigeria's revenue is more than 100% higher than that of Ghana which means she can afford more amenities. Nigeria has more industries. Cost of living is lower in Nigeria. However, Nigeria has more number of poor people. Ghana's economy is growing at a slightly higher rate. Ghana has better wealth distribution scheme.

For discussion sake, you really need to understand the indices of the poverty report you're mentioning. Before Nigeria was termed the poverty capital, it was India. Now, does that mean the economy of Ghana was better than that of India too? Of course, not. It is a function of population (the same population that constitute the source of economic vibrancy). The number of poor people in Nigeria will always be higher. If it were expressed in percentage, it would have been South Sudan (with more than 95%). Ghana has done well by moving from more than 45% to much less while Nigeria remains above that. However, the huge norminal difference in terms of population means that it take elevating a fewer people above poverty line in Ghana to reduce the percentage than it takes in Nigeria. This explanation does not undermine the efforts of Ghana in the area of poverty reduction and most importantly, wealth distribution (where Nigeria is seriously lagging behind). Nigeria just has more money to spend. The US has more poor people than Canada, it doesn't mean the Canadian economy is better.

I'm probably not going to contribute any further to this chat cause I shy away from any emotionally charged threads but if you have any sincere question, I'd be willing to answer.

Good morning.
This is succinct and well presented explanation. Sound more like an elderly man.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Trap At Libya Road To Europe / How Is Spain Like? / How To Replace Lost Nigerian International Passport From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.