Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,831 members, 7,813,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? (1111 Views)

Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / How Nigerians Are Coping With Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Nigerians Are Determined To Remain One – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by Jenifa1: 10:05am On Feb 15, 2011
A lot of us complain about Nigerian government and our leaders but I get the sense that even the commoners are of the same breed and will lead by precedent if they were privileged to assume a position of power.
We are not interested in changing our situation at all and when opportunity presents itself, how likely is it that we will take it?

Basically, Nigeria is the way it is because we are satisfied with our conditions and are not willing to take initiatives to make changes. The few who try will be hindered by the complacent mass and lose motivation

To me, change at the national level has to start with changes in the local level. Don't get me wrong, i'm not calling for a repeat of Egypt or Tunisia in Nigeria. But for example, how many political NGOs are there in naija? How many government watch groups are there? How many community engagement organizations are there?

why are we such passive citizens?

discuss.

trolls not welcome.
Re: Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by fstranger3(m): 10:18am On Feb 15, 2011
How many states have you visited in Nigeria?

What states do you live in the US

When you say we, do you mean dual citizens?

What gives you the impression that the common man is complacent. . . isnt that outrightly condescending, especially coming from a foreigner whose only connection to Nigeria is her foreign born non-Yoruba speaking Yoruba BF?

WHat makes you think that Nigerians, compared to Americans, are passive citizens?
Re: Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by Jenifa1: 10:24am On Feb 15, 2011
I'm nigerian and have lived in nigeria more years than I've lived abroad.
I've had an opportunity to compare the two systems and anybody will tell you that we Nigerians are very complacent. The government is corrupt because they get away with it easily. we allow them to be corrupt.

Like Fela will say, we are shuffering and shmilling.

if you don't have any constructive comments to add, stay out of the thread.
I already put up a no trolling sign and i'm hoping moderators will take note.
Re: Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by blacksta(m): 10:30am On Feb 15, 2011
hen hen

Another bash them thread - grin

All the best.
Re: Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by Jenifa1: 10:32am On Feb 15, 2011
blacksta:

hen hen

Another bash them thread - grin

All the best.

why do you say that?
what is your opinion on the topic?
Re: Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? by fstranger3(m): 10:40am On Feb 15, 2011
I am here to stay.
I am a Nigerian and I have more stake in Nigeria that you will have have.

It is my country and you dont love it as much as I did

I grew up there and I had to explain the difference between Junior WAEC and WAEC to you.
I had to also explain a lot of other things about Nigeria to you.

Jenifa_:

I've had an opportunity to compare the two systems and anybody will tell you that we Nigerians are very complacent.

First of all , I live in the same Obodo-Oyinbo as you and I can tell you that Nigerians arent that different from Americans. When you begin to blather about complacency, would you be so kind to site specific examples in America and relate it to the Nigerian situation where the results were worse off in the Nigerian case because the people of Nigeria were complacent.

The government is corrupt because they get away with it easily. we allow them to be corrupt.

Again, what makes you think that the government is corrupt. Making accusations is not enough, talk is cheap after all, you have to be able to substantiate it. Provide evidence. Again, coming from a foreigner, from Latvia,, that is unfair and condescending. Just dating a Nigerian does not give you the liberty to insult our collective sensibilities.

Like Fela will say, we are shuffering and shmilling.

Same can be said of any other country in the West.

if you don't have any constructive comments to add, stay out of the thread.
I already put up a no trolling sign and i'm hoping moderators will take note.

You are the one trolling my dear. You go all around the forum expressing general ideas and trying to imperfectly apply it to unique situations/discussions where it doesnt fit, like a high school student trying to tell an unfamiliar story and in the process fudging and messing up.

(1) (Reply)

234next: National Assembly Election Updates / Bomb Blast In Inec Office / Sahara Reporters And On Line News Have A Share In What Happened In The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.