Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,266 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army (50698 Views)

Man Accused Of Trying To Kill Mali President Dies In Custody / Moment Mali President, Assimi Goïta Was Attacked By A Man With A Knife (Video) / Ibrahim Boubacar Keita Resigns As Mali's President Resigns Amid Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by knowhowk: 8:21pm On Aug 18, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
Africa my Africa!

We have brains but don't think.
People are looting their destiny and they clap becsuse America magically convinced them that democracy is the best. Is Nigeria in democracy? What manner of democracy when the votes don't count? Even under military rule, the country had never had it this bad. The worst argument is that the worst democracy is better than the best military rule. You hear some educated illiterates in Africa vomitting this thrash. Good is good; bad is bad.

How did oyibo manage to convince Africans that polygamy is bad but homosexuality is great?
/
Oh ! You blow my mind ,infact you are indeed an Oracle common U nail the Facts ,But quite unfortunate Dem Dem go still come for U . Democracy my foot in Naija .A country where Votes never counts .PDP / APC or any other Parties ,Hope one day True Democracy where People Votes counts would come

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Farki: 8:22pm On Aug 18, 2020
The result of Buhari's stellar negotiation skills.

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Fucsheetup(f): 8:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
Raydos:
Why are all black countries this disorganized, Poverty stricken and Corrupt??

Is it a curse to be black? I'm trying to figure something out!!
Definitely. Even in developed countries, our skin is cursed.
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by AgentNairaland(f): 8:23pm On Aug 18, 2020
Kati saw a mutiny in 2012 that led to a coup d'etat that ousted then-President Amadou Toumani Toure and contributed to the fall of northern Mali into the hands of jihadi militants.

Religion of pieces

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Newboss(m): 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2020
Even the military is corrupt. It's like Abacha seizing power in the 90s and people were jubilating. Little did they know that they just went 20 years backward. After some months, the honeymoon phase ended. It ended in tears.

People never learn. Your vote is your power, not destabilizing a nation. There are even terrorists hovering around that Mali. The citizens don't just have sense.

3 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by olaniyilukman(m): 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2020
VIPERVENOM:
History has shown that coup d'etat has always been a bad idea. Nigeria & Zimbabwe are good examples
Mr History, I hope you do your research well that most of the best infrastructural facilities we have up-to-date are built during millitary regime. We know your type, my daddy says and my mummy says, it is quite pathetic that you can't think deeply than do follow follow, African countries has failed its people most especially the jungle we are living in... Shame on you man

3 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Farki: 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2020
Raydos:
Why are all black countries this disorganized, Poverty stricken and Corrupt??

Is it a curse to be black? I'm trying to figure something out!!

Watch and be set free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Germi9: 8:27pm On Aug 18, 2020
i wish same could happen here ,but our military got no balls unfortunately..they prefer to showcase their strength on suffering citizens

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by PericomaNwankwo: 8:28pm On Aug 18, 2020
Samystar003:
With the level of civilization in the world and great transformation that has come over humanity, these ones are behaving like animals.

History has taught us many lessons. Why will some people take the path that will surely lead to tears, pain and agony?

Are you okay You sure know about history and you think what they are doing isn't historic You think it's not civilization You think it's not transformation Nigerian!!!!
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 18, 2020
kozmokaz:
cheesy

This could be Nigeria

But we too de fear

We have every reason to fear.

In 1983, the Army took over on Dec 31, with one Buhari leading the way. We rejoiced. Two years later....
Then IBB took over, we rejoiced...eight years later.
Then we got Abacha.

Oh, and the corruption that was the reason for the 1983 coup , as well as the tribalisim, etc.....they all got worse under Army rule.. And we ended up with more opression.That's how we got people being detained indefinetly for no good reason.

Watch what happens in Mali. Today they rejoice. Five years later, they cry.

I don't like our democratic experiment. It has given us incompetent rulers. But having lived under milliatry rule, with all its opression....I say, NO THANKS to army rule.

Democracy is hard work. If you are angry with our corrupt politicans...FORM A PARTY, AND DO SOMETHING. Back in 1966, Nzeogwu overthrew the corrupt polticians. Four years and over five million people dead later...

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by StrictlyStreet: 8:30pm On Aug 18, 2020
Some coups are way better than so called democracy. It depends on the motive.
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by olaniyilukman(m): 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
Newboss:
Even the military is corrupt. It's like Abacha seizing power in the 90s and people were jubilating. Little did they know that they just went 20 years backward. After some months, the honeymoon phase ended. It ended in tears.

People never learn. Your vote is your power, not destabilizing a nation. There are even terroriststerrorists hovering around that Mali. The citizens don't just have sense.
Nothing went backward rather politicians are degrading the man image both home and abroad that he stole Nigeria wealth but all these claims are false, it is just to make the poor masses believe that millitary is not good but I totally disagree with you, I came across a book in Library in UK and everything was detailed about how these Nigeria resources are stored abroad by Abacha regime inorder not to allow corrupt people to feed on it and I was made to understand that Abiola himself is part of system that want total destruction for Nigerians... Do research about Abiola's, Awo, Azikwe wealth,you will know where the problem is coming from...

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Openbusiness: 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2020
VIPERVENOM:
History has shown that coup d'etat has always been a bad idea. Nigeria & Zimbabwe are good examples
Which history shows that? Mtchwwwwwww! America, the greatest country on Earth today was born out of a coup against British rule. They were British soldiers on American soil who got tired of the the tyranny of their own British empire and its royal oppressors. It was their rebellion that birth America, that is the greatest country of human freedom today. There are many other coups that change the course of history for better

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by olatade(m): 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2020
Malians couldn't have achieved this without international collaborators. I hope undemocratic African leaders have got a pretty good lesson to learn.

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by PericomaNwankwo: 8:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
freshkpomo:
Verdict : 404

A united youth is an unstoppable force
#NYM.

Thank you and did they tell you that over 60% of Mali population are youths??

Why does the FG sponsored forces go extreme hard on the Nigerian youths? We need this!!

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by samsard(m): 8:35pm On Aug 18, 2020
starbuck:
Our Nigeria Soldiers are weaklings undecided undecided.... I don't mind the long time effects but we really do need this coup here in Nigeria....

To hell with all the people at the top that kept this country the way it is... Horrible deaths to them
The most repatriation of stolen funds was from a military government's stash! The civil war basically started because the military truncated an elected government and murdered people, Africans seem to be the only fools who think a military intervention can yield anything positive. Do you remember one Colonel that overthrew his boss in on West African country? He couldn't hold it together and today he has lost EVERYTHING.

3 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by LZAA: 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2020
Meanwhile sai baba minions disturbing us upandan
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by moneyissweet(m): 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2020
Yes,they are all happy because Mali is a Muslim country and Muslims love crisis and shedding of blood.

SweetCunt97:
The people seem happy with d development
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 18, 2020
InvertedHammer:
/
Africa my Africa!

We have brains but don't think.
People are looting their destiny and they clap becsuse America magically convinced them that democracy is the best. Is Nigeria in democracy? What manner of democracy when the votes don't count? Even under military rule, the country had never had it this bad. The worst argument is that the worst democracy is better than the best military rule. You hear some educated illiterates in Africa vomitting this thrash. Good is good; bad is bad.

How did oyibo manage to convince Africans that polygamy is bad but homosexuality is great?
/

There is nothing worng with democracy., Infact, at the risk of being called a white man slave, I'll say that democracy is better than other forms of government.

Under an autocracy, everything, including creativity is stifled. As a result development is stifled (that's why many communist regimes collapsed...because when you run an autocracy)

All the working democracies in the world today...the UK, US, etc...were once as corrupt as Nigeria. The reason why they work now is because people there realise that democracy does not end with casting vote. You act as a strong check and balance to your leaders.You fight for your rights using every available means. Most Nigerians just sit down and do nothing after voting day.

Civil rights for black people in the US was not won by MLK delivering a beautiful specch one fine day. It was won by hundrends of footsoldiers who did the hard work of organisng people to achieve a goal.

Here in Nigeria, we just vote and go home. We don't even ask questions, and we expect everything to be ok.

Democracy is hard work. High time we got to do the hard work. Because we have tried autocracy in Africa, and everytime it ended in tears.

How many times have we overthrown corrupt polticans, and hoped that the new army ruler would be the next Thomas Sankara...only to turn out to be another Mobutu. The truth is, we don't need a super revolutionary leader, we need to work within the system and change it from within. And it takes time.

4 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by JordanMichael(m): 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2020
When will this happen in 9ja 9ja army worst though
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Newboss(m): 8:40pm On Aug 18, 2020
olaniyilukman:
Nothing went backward rather politicians are degrading the man image both home and abroad that he stole Nigeria wealth but all these claims are false, it is just to make the poor masses believe that millitary is not good but I totally disagree with you, I came across a book in Library in UK and everything was detailed about how these Nigeria resources are stored abroad by Abacha regime inorder not to allow corrupt people to feed on it and I was made to understand that Abiola himself is part of system that want total destruction for Nigerians... Do research about Abiola's, Awo, Azikwe wealth,you will know where the problem is coming from...

Baba, are you saying that those Abacha loot are free money from the west? I mean the ones we have been seizing from Switzerland, US, etc. The same money the family has been flexing on for decades.

So Abiola, the original MKO of June 12 had bad plans for Nigeria.? Baba, I salute you o. I salute the books in library too.

Even a cow knows that Abacha was a hardcore looter. Any cow can write anything in a book. Don't believe everything in a book.

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by paix(m): 8:42pm On Aug 18, 2020
DropsMic:
Nigeria una dey see una Mate ba
This one na underground erosion, just like the Arab spring. Na small small.
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Farki: 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2020
starbuck:
Our Nigeria Soldiers are weaklings undecided undecided.... I don't mind the long time effects but we really do need this coup here in Nigeria....

To hell with all the people at the top that kept this country the way it is... Horrible deaths to them

There is an ongoing hypothesis or should I say conspiracy that African nations keep their militaries weak and ineffective to prevent them from forming an effective resistance to the government or breaking off to form separate countries.

Ever notice how majority of Africa's conflicts have been civil wars? And how we have "youth service" rather than military conscription despite rising insecurity.

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 18, 2020
JordanMichael:
When will this happen in 9ja 9ja army worst though

You want to live under Millitary rule....where people can get killed for nothing....

One of my older relatives once knew a millitary man who was executed for being in the same room when a coup was being discussed , even though there was no evidence he had taken part in the coup...

Or the journalists who were detained for years, with no contact with their lawyers whatsoever because they 'abused the leader'. (We are complaining of fine today, back then abusing an army leader could mean your life)

Or the students who died because they were shot for protesting under millitary rule.

You better stop asking for army rule. You won't like it. I lived under Amry rule...including Buhari own. There are things that Buhari could get away with as a Millitary ruler that he can't get away with as a civillian. Saraki that was opposing him for example...Buhari in 1984 would have just jailed him indefinetly. Buhari civilian has to do things the legal way.

3 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 18, 2020
Farki:

There is an ongoing hypothesis or should I say conspiracy that African nations keep their militaries weak and ineffective to prevent them from forming an effective resistance to the government or breaking off to form separate countries.

Ever notice how majority of Africa's conflicts have been civil wars? And how we have "youth service" rather than military conscription despite rising insecurity.

Do you really want to live under Army rule?

Better be thankful for civlillan rule, warts and all.

Plus, most African countries, Nigeria inclusive, cannot afford a super powerful army infrastructure (South Africa , Egypt are the exceptions.). They are too poor to do so. The days when the Soviets could give you cheap advanced weapons have long gone...
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2020
Openbusiness:
Which history shows that? Mtchwwwwwww! America, the greatest country on Earth today was born out of a coup against British rule. They were British soldiers on American soil who got tired of the the tyranny of their own British empire and its royal oppressors. It was their rebellion that birth America, that is the greatest country of human freedom today. There are many other coups that change the course of history for better

And the Americans, as soon as they were in charge of their destiny, set up a democratic government, and made it treasonous to overthrow that democractic government.

Any American career millitary officer wanting to run for office has to resign first. (Eisenhower and Carter are two recent examples)

Plus, a war of independence is different from a coup.

3 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by BigBizzy(m): 8:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
No be the same Mali Buhari been enter so?

Buhari did coup to claim power, the mn just left Mali and coup is the case...

Are you thinking what am thinking?

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 18, 2020
Taich:

I beg to differ, most african leaders in democratic setting only use democracy for wicked purposes. No value added , no democratic gains, so you see people rising up to challenge the status quo.

And they do so because you people keep on voting them in

Besides, army rule won't change anything.

1.We overthrew the corrupt polticans in 1966...and by 1975, Gowon was being overthown for corruption.

2.We overhtrew the corrupt polticans in 1983, and Buhari's regime, IBB's regime and Abacha's regime all had corruption as their main theme. Infact, we are still struggling to find the loot Abacha stole to this day.

1 Like

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by olaniyilukman(m): 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2020
Newboss:

Baba, are you saying that those Abacha loot are free money from the west? I mean the ones we have been seizing from Switzerland, US, etc. The same money the family has been flexing on for decades.

So Abiola, the original MKO of June 12 had bad plans for Nigeria.? Baba, I salute you o. I salute the books in library too.

Even a cow knows that Abacha was a hardcore looter. Any cow can write anything in a book. Don't believe everything in a book.
I understand you bro, do you know who owns the medias, they are politicians, they can use the instrument to attacks millions of minds and influence their decision the way they want it.. Honestly,Abacha is not corrupt but they have to paint him bad,do you know how many times this present administration has defended the man, to be honest, don't limit yourself to Nigeria alone...
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by frog12: 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2020
our politicians must be getting sleepness nights now.
Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 18, 2020
oyeb15:
the wind will soon blow in Nigeria but in 2022. January to be precise.

And it will blow in your imagination.

You have never lived under Army rule. You don't know how bad it is.

Today, Buhari civilan fines you for hate speech. Yesterday, Buhari military would have just jailed you for 200 years under a new decree...without the benefit of a court trial. Abacha would have sent you to the great beyond.

Don't wish for millitary rule.

Many of us did that in 1966....and 1983...and were left with regrets after regrets. The 1966 one led to millions of deaths.

2 Likes

Re: Coup In Mali: President And Prime Minister Arrested By The Army by Varys: 8:59pm On Aug 18, 2020
SAY NO TO COUP IN AFRICA!!!

It always ends in tears!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iran Announces First Arrests In Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner / Russia Cuts Electricity Supply To Finland Over It's Plans To Join NATO (Photos) / Belarus 'To Join Ukraine ilInvasion' And Preparing For Air Assault On Kyiv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.