Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day (56121 Views)

VIDEO: President-elect Bola Tinubu Breaks Fast (iftar) With Family And Friends I / Oyetola Submitting Governorship Election Petition In The Tribunal In Osogbo / EndSARS: Omokri’s Petition Against Buhari Removed From Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by celinajumbo11(f): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2020
The petition urging the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to investigate a former Governor of Lagos, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has reached 10,000 signatures in just one day. This is a record, as no political petition on Nigeria has reached such numbers in so short a period of time.

The petition is specifically calling on the EFCC to investigate Bola Tinubu for contravening the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act of 2011, by having bullion vans ferry alleged large sums of money into his house on the eve of the 2019 Presidential election.

It will be recalled that on the eve of the 2019 Presidential elections, drone imagery showed bullion vans ferrying suspected monies into Mr. Tinubu’s Bourdilon residence. The next day, in an interview with Channel Television’s Seun Okinbaloye, Mr. Tinubu was asked “the allegations are that those bullion vans carry money or ballots”, before he could finish asking his question, Mr. Tinubu interjected and said “Is it my money or government money? I don’t work for government...even if I have money to spend in my premises, what’s your headache?”

However, the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (and the amendment to the Act in 2012) makes it a crime for any individual to accept or make any cash payment that exceeds ₦5 million.

Yet, 18 months after this incident, Mr. Tinubu has not been investigated by the EFCC, which has tried others for lesser malfeasances.

The petition started by Reno Omokri, a bestselling author and activist, seeks to compel the EFCC to fulfil its constitutional responsibilities.

By virtue of the Economic and Financial Crimes commision Establishment act (2004), the law mandates the EFCC to combat financial and economic crimes. The Commission is empowered to prevent, investigate, prosecute and penalise economic and financial crimes and is charged with the responsibility of enforcing the provisions of other laws and regulations relating to economic and financial crimes.

Reno Omokri
Gospeller. Deep Thinker. #1 Bestselling author of Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years. Avid traveller. Hollywood Magazine Film Festival Humanitarian of the Year, 2019.

Source link: https://web.facebook.com/1152008079/posts/10222537868012741/?d=n&_rdc=1&_rdr

76 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by techmo(m): 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2020
cool

Mumu omokirikiri

How exactly did he know the contents of the Bullion van

The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (and the amendment to the Act in 2012) makes it a crime for any individual to accept or make any cash payment that exceeds ₦5 million.

Personal cash withdrawal isn't Cash Payment

Mumu omokirikiri thinks the scenario is like

EFCC officers: knock knock Budillion Gateman open up the gate

Gate man, DSS and Police details: welcome Mr EFCC

EFCC officers: Mumu Omokirikiri gave us a petition that a Bullion van drove into Budillion drive Ikoyi and entered your residence on the eve of a Presidential election

Gate man, DSS and Police details: so Mr EFCC and mumu omokirikiri what is the offense, are bullion vans unlawful ? Atleast mere Private fueling stations, hotels, WAEC, NECO all use Bullion security vans, and can you show us any evidence money was in the van or if any cash exceeding 5million was in the van as at that time

they hate to see Omo Odua , Omoluabi shine

471 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by hisgrace090: 2:28pm On Aug 21, 2020
Dead on arrival do to unwillingness to do the right thing attitude of our leaders.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by sLentlover7778(m): 2:29pm On Aug 21, 2020
Way to go...

Thank God for people like ..

Reno Omokri.

There's still hope for Nigeria..

Even though we all know it's..

Mission impossible..

grin grin grin

370 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by ladididanlami(f): 2:29pm On Aug 21, 2020
This is the way to go for corruption to be fought to a standstill...
No one is above the law.

EFCC must prosecute Tinubu for such money laundering act.

197 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by sLentlover7778(m): 2:30pm On Aug 21, 2020
What a pity..

techmo:
cool

Mumu omokirikiri

How exactly did he know the contents of the Bullion van

424 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by div111(m): 2:36pm On Aug 21, 2020
good grin

4 Likes

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by iyatrustee(f): 3:08pm On Aug 21, 2020
Anti Money Laundeering /Countering Financial Terrorism (AML /CFT) act 2011 does not make accepting or making cash deposit of N5million for individuals or N10million for a corporate body a crime. It only mandates the bank to report any such transaction to Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit as a suspiscious transaction.

Banks and other non bank financial institution render this returns weekly so chances are these bullion transaction has been reported and investigated already.

Signing a petition is as important as having the right basis for the petition.

A N100k transaction can be reported if in the eyes of the bank, it is an unusual transaction just like a N100mil transaction wont raise any red flags if the account is used to such huge amounts.

278 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:21pm On Aug 21, 2020
The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 makes it a crime to transact cash transactions above 5 million Naira. It is on this basis that Atiku’s son in law is being tried. It does not matter how you get the money. Once the cash is above 5 million, it can only be transacted through a bank. If it is transacted in cash, it becomes a crime

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:21pm On Aug 21, 2020
The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 makes it a crime to transact cash transactions above 5 million Naira. It is on this basis that Atiku’s son in law is being tried. It does not matter how you get the money. Once the cash is above 5 million, it can only be transacted through a bank. If it is transacted in cash, it becomes a crime

iyatrustee:
EFCC act does not make accepting or making cash deposit of N5million for individuals or N10million for a corporate body a crime. It only mandates the bank to report any such transaction to Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit as a suspiscious transaction.

Banks and other non bank financial institution render this returns weekly so chances are these bullion transaction has been reported and investigated already.

Signing a petition is as important as having the right basis for the petition.

A N100k transaction can be reported if in the eyes of the bank, it is an unusual transaction just like an N100mil wont raise any red flags if the account is used to such huge amounts.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by techmo(m): 3:32pm On Aug 21, 2020
rescuenaija:

Before disgracing yourself here is a link to Money laundering act in Nigeria

https://lawpadi.com/8-things-the-average-nigerian-should-know-about-the-money-laundering-act-2011/

245 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:40pm On Aug 21, 2020
Let me quote from the link you provided:

The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 makes it ILLEGAL for any individual to accept or make any cash payment that exceeds N5m (Five Million Naira). This means that every cash transaction over N5m must be done via a financial institution.

Perhaps you did not read your own link. I know Bola Tinubu is paying you. But love Nigeria enough not to allow alleged criminals determine your future.

techmo:

Before disgracing your self here is a link to Money laundering act in Nigeria

https://lawpadi.com/8-things-the-average-nigerian-should-know-about-the-money-laundering-act-2011/

140 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:45pm On Aug 21, 2020
techmo:

Before disgracing your self here is a link to Money laundering act in Nigeria

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by techmo(m): 3:46pm On Aug 21, 2020
rescuenaija:

The Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 makes it ILLEGAL for any individual to accept or make any cash payment that exceeds N5m (Five Million Naira). This means that every cash transaction over N5m must be done via a financial institution.

Perhaps you did not read your own link. I know Bola Tinubu is paying you. But love Nigeria enough not to allow alleged criminals determine your future.

Now I get your problem clearly

It's simply English

Cash Payment , cash transaction VS Cash Withdrawal

Cash Payment ;
A cash payment is bills or coins paid by the recipient of goods or services to the provider. It can also involve a payment within a business to employees in compensation for their hours worked, or to repay them for minor expenditures that are too small to be routed through the accounts payable system

What this means is Tinubu can't buy products and services or make payment exceeding 5 million without notifying financial authorities

When ? where ? And how ? did Tinubu make a " cash payment" exceeding 5 million.. payment to who ? for what ? any evidence to back such claims

260 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by iyatrustee(f): 3:50pm On Aug 21, 2020
rescuenaija:

The Onus to prove that the contents of that Bullion van exceeded N5million will be on the petitioners, going by your logic. Until they can prove that a crime had been commited, their petition won't hold water.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:52pm On Aug 21, 2020
Simple English:

A cash payment is any payment in cash, for goods and services.

By ferrying in money into his compound on the eve of the Presidential elections, what was Tinubu doing?

Is his house a bank?

My dear, relax by playing ‘Back to Life, Back to Reality’ by Soul II Soul

iyatrustee:

The Onus to prove that the contents of that Bullion van exceeded N5million will be on the petitioners, going by your logic. Until they can prove that a crime had been commited, there petition won't hold water.

35 Likes

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 3:55pm On Aug 21, 2020
I think you should better leave more competent people to respond for Tinubu. You are embarrassing him. His official spokesman has already reacted.

iyatrustee:

The Onus to prove that the contents of that Bullion van exceeded N5million will be on the petitioners, going by your logic. Until they can prove that a crime had been commited, there petition won't hold water.

16 Likes

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by iyatrustee(f): 4:02pm On Aug 21, 2020
rescuenaija:
I think you should better leave more competent people to respond for Tinubu. You are embarrassing him. His official spokesman has already reacted.

Nobody is responding on his behalf sir. You can also go easy on your choice of words. I have my opinion just like you have yours, i didnt choose to call you incompetent!

Make your side of the arguement known and allow mine.

239 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by rescuenaija: 4:13pm On Aug 21, 2020
I apologise if you felt offended by my use it the word incompetent.

I only used it because you were wrongly citing the Money Laundering Act. I was not referring to your opinions.

You are entitled to your opinions, but not the facts

iyatrustee:

Nobody is responding on his behalf sir. You can also go easy on your choice of words. I have my opinion just like you have yours, i didnt choose to call you incompetent!

Make your side of the arguement known and allow mine.

30 Likes

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by olaboy33(m): 4:41pm On Aug 21, 2020
Exercise in futility.

If a counter petition is filed, 100,000 will sign in a day.

That's how much we love Asiwaju BAT.

221 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by Bellaburnaa(f): 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2020
This is interesting

2 Likes

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by Praktikals(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
wink
Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by PureGoldh(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Issoryt....dx country matter weak local man

Meanwhile, if you need Raw Original Honey.. kindly contact O81 O1 66 67 71 let's talk about it ....we go dey alright Las Las ...stay blessed fam

1 Like

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by winkmart: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Jobless people. Is it by petition

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by Lagosfinder(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Unfortunately it's not by petition

163 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by Madibah(m): 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Dr
Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by OgbanjeProphet: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Waste of time shocked

Tinubu is untouchable tongue

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
Ok
Re: Omokri’s Petition On Tinubu Breaks Record, 10,000 People Sign Petition In A Day by GeneralPula: 4:51pm On Aug 21, 2020
[s]
celinajumbo11:
The petition urging the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to investigate a former Governor of Lagos, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has reached 10,000 signatures in just one day. This is a record, as no political petition on Nigeria has reached such numbers in so short a period of time.

The petition is specifically calling on the EFCC to investigate Bola Tinubu for contravening the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act of 2011, by having bullion vans ferry alleged large sums of money into his house on the eve of the 2019 Presidential election.

It will be recalled that on the eve of the 2019 Presidential elections, drone imagery showed bullion vans ferrying suspected monies into Mr. Tinubu’s Bourdilon residence. The next day, in an interview with Channel Television’s Seun Okinbaloye, Mr. Tinubu was asked “the allegations are that those bullion vans carry money or ballots”, before he could finish asking his question, Mr. Tinubu interjected and said “Is it my money or government money? I don’t work for government...even if I have money to spend in my premises, what’s your headache?”

However, the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 (and the amendment to the Act in 2012) makes it a crime for any individual to accept or make any cash payment that exceeds ₦5 million.

Yet, 18 months after this incident, Mr. Tinubu has not been investigated by the EFCC, which has tried others for lesser malfeasances.

The petition started by Reno Omokri, a bestselling author and activist, seeks to compel the EFCC to fulfil its constitutional responsibilities.

By virtue of the Economic and Financial Crimes commision Establishment act (2004), the law mandates the EFCC to combat financial and economic crimes. The Commission is empowered to prevent, investigate, prosecute and penalise economic and financial crimes and is charged with the responsibility of enforcing the provisions of other laws and regulations relating to economic and financial crimes.

Reno Omokri
Gospeller. Deep Thinker. #1 Bestselling author of Facts Versus Fiction: The True Story of the Jonathan Years. Avid traveller. Hollywood Magazine Film Festival Humanitarian of the Year, 2019.

Source link: https://web.facebook.com/1152008079/posts/10222537868012741/?d=n&_rdc=1&_rdr
[/s]

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Fayose Wears Military Attire For Budget Presentation At Ekiti House Of Assembly / President Tinubu Gives Macron's Wife A Peck (Video) / Lucky Aiyedatiwa Makes First Appointments As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.