Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,067 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? (3318 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba / South Got 70% Of Fund Allocated For Road Construction Under PTF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Omooba77: 9:04am On Feb 18, 2011
Fashola is trying, but the quality of jobs done on road construction is poor. Imagine just two rains and the whole place is becoming flooded again! Fashola and Ganiyu Johnson should please supervise the construction works so taht our taxes will not be wasted. Eko oni baje ju bayi lo!
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 18, 2011
There is no such thing as ''road construction'' in the absence of proper underground drainage and pedestrian sidewalks. That is how you judge Fashola's road construction. Anything that falls short of THIS is not road construction, but substandard rubbish:

[img]http://3.bp..com/_A24UZctD--E/TEyfgAGQwUI/AAAAAAAABuA/bD134mm7ihA/s1600/Sidewalks+Woonsocket2.JPG[/img]
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 18, 2011
See, if you build a road like THAT above, it will never ''flood'' during rain. The drainage is taken care of as a matter of course. It is only when you build substandard rubbish that some people call ''roads'', with open drains or sand by the side etc that you have such problems like ''flooding during rain''.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by fstranger3(m): 9:46am On Feb 18, 2011
That is America

Why are you comparing America with Nigeria?
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2011
fstranger3 said:

That is America

Can you see what I'm talking about? This is the problem we have in this country. Underrating and undervaluing ourselves. Tell me, how does South Africa manage to have all their urban roads looking like this ''American road'' above?

Have you been to JoBurg?

What of Cape Town?

Nairobi nko? Are those places not in this same Africa?

Look, if I had the power, I would set a national standard for all road construction, whereby it would constitute a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to construct an urban ROAD without adjoining UNDERGROUND drainage PLUS pedestrian sidewalk.  If there's no money then DON'T BUILD THE ROAD. What I will not accept is substandard rubbish from the 16th century.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by ekubear1: 12:45pm On Feb 18, 2011
Which roads specifically were poorly done? Let's see some pics, get some names and locations.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
This is Allen Ave, Ikeja.

As you can see, the road has everything apart from underground drainage and sidewalk. I've walked this road recently and for all the high end retail outlets and fashionable stores there, it's cursed with filthy open gutters that are blocked with trash. This is supposed to be one of the better streets on the mainland, yet, it was so carelessly designed and built. There is no real parking regime. You can park anywhere  you like. Pedestrians might as well not exist for the road builders as there is no designated space for them to walk. Yet the street is several kilometres long and filled with high end shops, at least one world class hotel, and several boutiques and restaurants! It's ridiculous.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Omooba77: 1:42pm On Feb 18, 2011
Check out Herbert Macaulay & Borno way Ebute-Meta, Ahamadu Bello Way in V/I. Once there is crevice on the road the damage becomes pronounced as the day go by. By the time you want to do the road again, it will be tripple the initial cost. We should stop all this wastage in order to curtail poverty, becuase the same resources can be better put to use elsewhere. Eko oni baje ju bayi lo!
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2011
ROSSIKE:

There is no such thing as ''road construction'' in the absence of proper underground drainage and pedestrian sidewalks. That is how you judge Fashola's road construction. Anything that falls short of THIS is not road construction, but substandard rubbish:

NOW THAT deserves a GBAM!!!!

Anyone who has grown up in Nigeria knows for a fact that the major problem remains lack of good drainage for all the roads. Just building a gutter on the side of the road does not work either because if it is not connected to the road someway to allow the water easily and conveniently drain into it.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by redsun(m): 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2011
fstranger3:

That is America

When americans call you a monkey,you will become furious but you tend to think it is wrong to compare nigeria with america in terms of human ingenuity and practicality,basic mathematics.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Gekko(m): 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2011
ROSSIKE:

See, if you build a road like THAT above, it will never ''flood'' during rain. The drainage is taken care of as a matter of course. It is only when you build substandard rubbish that some people call ''roads'', with open drains or sand by the side etc that you have such problems like ''flooding during rain''.

Good observation bro!  it smacks of sheer incompetence for our govt to build roads without considering drainage.  For Christ sake, there are roads in Greece that dates back to several centuries that were paved with gutters in its original design.  These gov official/ contractors are pulling a fast one over Nigerians taxpayers. They build unreliable roads with the intent that they don't last a season and then re-award the contract.  undecided
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Feb 18, 2011
Gekko:

Good observation bro!  it smacks of sheer incompetence for our govt to build roads without considering drainage.  For Christ sake, [size=13pt]there are roads in Greece that dates back to several centuries that were paved with gutters in its original design.  [/size]These gov official/ contractors are pulling a fast one over Nigerians taxpayers. They build unreliable roads with the intent that they don't last a season and then re-award the contract.  undecided

Your own go better !!
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by oderemo(m): 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2011
there are roads constructed by late awolowo time and still functioning as the only motorable means in parts of ogun/oyo etc up till date.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by fstranger3(m): 7:58pm On Feb 18, 2011
ROSSIKE:

fstranger3 said:
Can you see what I'm talking about? This is the problem we have in this country. Underrating and undervaluing ourselves. Tell me, how does South Africa manage to have all their urban roads looking like this ''American road'' above?
Have you been to JoBurg?
What of Cape Town?
Nairobi nko? Are those places not in this same Africa?

Hey, will you stop howling like a lost dog? I lived in Lagos all my life and looking back, I really cant point to a good road in Lagos. Yes, at this time, never compare Lagos with America because the attitude is different.

Look here, the problem is not with the government, not with leadership, the problem here is with the general lackadaisical attitude of the common man. How many people in Lagos pay their taxes, how many of them do what is right. How many of them throw their pure water bag on the same street they bought it from after emptying its content? Go to the Onipanu expressway very early in the morning and at night, just before getting to Ketu, and go see for yourself how people shyyt on the road and use tissue papers and all sorts of things they use to clean up block the underground drainage system, I know this because I had seen it with my unaided eyes on too many occasions. And, most of these people arent your typical street urchins doing as they like, some are your typical secondary schools student, and others are office workers, who chose to deface the side walk, and in the process the drainage system, sometimes out of ignorance and at other times because they just couldnt be bothered to give a damn about the welfare and concerns of other road users like them. I remember listening to Asiwaju Awon Oloriburuku BAT sometimes in 2001 on LTV talking about the drainage issue on Ikorodu road, one of the better roads, and he pretty much analysed the poor state of the road to the attitude of the users. Most of the roads you are talking about all have UNDERGROUND drainage and sometimes depending on the locale pedestrian sidewalk.

And, dont make it look as though all lagos roads are like that. Far from it, some places in Aguda, VI, Ikeja are a beauty to behold. Once the common man changes his attitude, something I dont see happening any time soon, things will change for the better.

ROSSIKE:

Look, if I had the power, I would set a national standard for all road construction, whereby it would constitute a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to construct an urban ROAD without adjoining UNDERGROUND drainage PLUS pedestrian sidewalk.  If there's no money then DON'T BUILD THE ROAD. What I will not accept is substandard rubbish from the 16th century.

Thank God you are not the only one living in Lagos . I still remember when the street I used to live on in Somolu was for the first time being covered with asphalt after years of neglect, a major road for that matter, the people were happy and the joy in their faces could not be measured. At that point no one cared if the road was being done right, people were just happy to be getting some attention after years of neglect. And, yes, I was one of those happy people, after all I did not know better. Even though, the road reverted back to its old self after just a couple of weeks, we were glad to have it in a better shape even if it was just for a couple of weeks. To some people then, and I am sure it is still the same now, one wraps of 'eko' plus half moin-moin is always better than a bowl of 'eko' with no moin- moin.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 18, 2011
this brings us to a whole new issue

WE DO NOT HAVE A TRUE DRAINAGE SYSTEM IN LAGOS.

big cities in the us and uk have extensive sewers dating back from the 1700s in some cases.

to embark on a sewer in an already existing city. . .

but i guess it needs to be done.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Feb 18, 2011
^^ It definitely has to because like @ROSSIKE said, anything less is simply substandard and we have seen this year after year.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Gekko(m): 9:30pm On Feb 18, 2011
Not to compare Lagos with Tokyo but the picture below depicts how serious Japan takes Public works, thats a sewer!!

Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 18, 2011
You gotta be kiddin' me. That's a sewer? It looks like a 5 star hotel. It won't surprise me if they've got AC in there. In fact we're not serious in this country. Meanwhile fstranger3  is somehow trying to justify the govt neglect by blaming the people, forgetting that the people take their cue from the level of government seriousness in their area.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by ekubear1: 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2011
Japanese insanely high population densities allow them to do things right undecided

They probably have the best infrastructure in the world, no?
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by fstranger3(m): 9:47pm On Feb 18, 2011
ROSSIKE:

You gotta be kiddin' me. That's a sewer? It looks like a 5 star hotel. It won't surprise me if they've got AC in there. In fact we're not serious in this country. Meanwhile fstranger3  is somehow trying to justify the govt neglect by blaming the people, forgetting that the people take their cue from the level of government seriousness in their area.

The people in government were once commoners too

Until the people take responsibility for their actions, we will never move forward.

Do something, dont just complain and whine and run people down like some people do day in, day out on NL here.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Feb 18, 2011
oyb said:

this brings us to a whole new issue

WE DO NOT HAVE A TRUE DRAINAGE SYSTEM IN LAGOS.

big cities in the us and uk have extensive sewers dating back from the 1700s in some cases.

to embark on a sewer in an already existing city. . .

but i guess it needs to be done.

Thank you very much. You see, when they talk about this megacity business I always laugh, because the first thing any megacity must have is an extensive, sophisticated underground drainage system and network that connects EVERY STREET. You cannot be talking about megacity when people are still jumping gutter on the roads. Or engaging in those dreadful ''clean up days'' involving the digging out of trash from open drains.

We really need to respect ourselves in this country and start building proper infrastructure befitting our status as Africa's leading nation.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by phantom(m): 9:26am On Feb 19, 2011
fstranger sorry to say but youve been typing utter crap, let me ask you.do you think people wouldnt be throwin rubbish into gutters in the US if they had open gutters?you guys seem to think americans are gods and not human beings.the blame lies squarely at the foot of government in this country.building roads with open gutters in this age and time is wickedness pure and simple.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by ikeyman00(m): 1:49pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^^^

that guy talk a whole lot of s hit mennhh angry
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by fstranger3(m): 1:52pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^^

COntinue to blame the government for your wretched life.

One day, Fashola would help your phuuck your wife.
Re: What Is Your Side To Road Construction Under Fashola? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 19, 2011
This guy sounds so ignorant. cool

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Declares Thursday 1st March A Public Holiday In Honour Of Ojukwu / This Too Much Na!!! Senator Patrick Obahiagbon Comment On Ghana Presido Death / Patrick Obahiagbon Finally Tells Why He Always Speaks ‘big Grammar’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.