Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,490 members, 7,847,023 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:36 AM

Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? (11310 Views)

2023: Northerners Need Someone From North, Not Igbo Or Yoruba – Atiku / The House King Jaja Of Opobo Lived In Exile In The 1880's In ST Vincent / See What Will Happen Once Igbo Or Yoruba becomes president (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by SlayerForever: 8:01pm On Aug 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Stop spreading falsehood. Read the attachment in my signature to learn who the original Ubani people are. Thank God neutral observers recorded it.

In the full book there was not a mention of IBANI. The Ijaw strangers in Bonny were described as Ijaws from Brass. It is obvious it was many years after this book that they started adopting the name IBANI, as a corrupted form of UBANI, the name of the town

cc AlphikkaTech

From Brass? Hmmm.

May be true.
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by BabaRamota1980: 8:31pm On Aug 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Stop spreading falsehood. Read the attachment in my signature to learn who the original Ubani people are. Thank God neutral observers recorded it.

In the full book there was not a mention of IBANI. The Ijaw strangers in Bonny were described as Ijaws from Brass. It is obvious it was many years after this book that they started adopting the name IBANI, as a corrupted form of UBANI, the name of the town

cc AlphikkaTech
Ofoigbo,
Ubani and Ibani is in reference to their homeplace in Ibini. Originally the name Ibini is Ubini, founded by Yoruba.

Oyinbo corrupted Ubani to Bonny. Can you see? There was never a name called Bonny, na oyinbo carry wahala come begin give name to thing wey no concern am. Shey u get?

Ibo na slave for Bonny, you are not indigene, although in number you were majority but natively and politically you were minority.

So drop this idea of trying to usurp land. Bonny na Benin people by root.
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by AlphikkaTech: 8:41pm On Aug 30, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Ofoigbo,
Ubani and Ibani is in reference to their homeplace in Ibini. Originally the name Ibini is Ubini, founded by Yoruba.

Oyinbo corrupted Ubani to Bonny. Can you see? There was never a name called Bonny, na oyinbo carry wahala come begin give name to thing wey no concern am. Shey u get?

Ibo na slave for Bonny, you are not indigene, although in number you were majority but natively and politically you were minority.

So drop this idea of trying to usurp land. Bonny na Benin people by root.

Many Ijaw clans left Benin during the Benin civil war. Even Kalabari migrated from Benin but they are still Ijaws.

I am tired of this tribal discussion. This tribal stuff is obsolete.
Only mumu people dey carry am for head.

One Nigeria all the way
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by OfoIgbo: 9:29pm On Aug 30, 2020
nengibo:

and Pepple(Pereikule) is an Igbo name too athink, I thought its the Okoro family you will free, you lots are just a special kind of stupid

Read my signature and you will see that PEPPLE of Ubani are of Igbo ancestry, according to a book written about 200 years ago. You will loose this battle

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by OfoIgbo: 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2020
techmo:

Didn't we give Saraki Bukola Senate Presidency what have you given Opobo

We have Opobo Chief of Army staff
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by OfoIgbo: 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2020
nengibo:

All hail King pepper, pepper ipob pigs,

This your building evidence means nothing. Dr. Baikie in the 1800s noted that Pepple stood for PEPPER, and that the king of Bonny was of Igbo ancestry.

The building evidence is obviously an attempt by the Ijaws to Ijawnise Ubani

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by OfoIgbo: 9:54pm On Aug 30, 2020
nengibo:

Everyone seeing this pic will know i've tried, 'you can take an emeka to school but you can't force him to read'

By the way, according to your attachment, PERE is not the same as OYE PERE.
PERE is not for royalty, according to your attachment

cc Bonessaw
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by OfoIgbo: 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2020
SlayerForever:

Okay. Thanks for this. Quite insightful.

But other accounts and documents (including administrative maps) from the colonial masters suggest Bonny is in fact Igbo country.

Basden gave us even more. You should see the map he drew that pointed out Igboland. He doesn't want to resend it. You really need to see it

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by BabaRamota1980: 10:55pm On Aug 30, 2020
AlphikkaTech:

Many Ijaw clans left Benin during the Benin civil war. Even Kalabari migrated from Benin but they are still Ijaws.

I am tired of this tribal discussion. This tribal stuff is obsolete.
Only mumu people dey carry am for head.

One Nigeria all the way

You suffer from inferiority complex, you must be an ethnic binary. Get yourself together!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by BabaRamota1980: 11:02pm On Aug 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

This your building evidence means nothing. Dr. Baikie in the 1800s noted that People stood for PEPPER, and that the king of Bonny was of Igbo ancestry.

The building evidence is obviously an attempt by the Ijaws to Ijawnise Ubani

That article attributed to Baikie mentioned Igbo. There was nothing called "igbo" in 1850. It wasnt until late 70s when Achebe invented Igbo.

Somebody has fraudulently revised that article. Who did it?
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by BabaRamota1980: 11:10pm On Aug 30, 2020
SlayerForever:
I also understand from Koler's account that Igbo had almost totally displaced Ibani as early as 1840.

Too bad for Ibani speakers and Ibani culture in general. This shift is now irreversible because the native Igbo speakers are too great in number.

Igbo has never been native to Bonny. Yanminri was slave there and Ibo language was widespread. You dont own Bonny because of language.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by Bkayyy: 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Igbo has never been native to Bonny. Yanminri was slave there and Ibo language was widespread. You dont own Bonny because of language.
But you lots will fight tooth and nail to claim Lagos based on similar language.
Lagos is still a no man's land. Orji Uzor kalu said so and he is a senator in Federal Republic of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by SlayerForever: 11:43pm On Aug 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Basden gave us even more. You should see the map he drew that pointed out Igboland. He doesn't want to resend it. You really need to see it

I want to see it.
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by Bkayyy: 11:49pm On Aug 30, 2020
Yoruba is the most divided ethnic group in Nigeria that is why you see them all over nairaland trying to force their divisive mentality on other ethnic group. It is known fact that when somebody constantly abuses another person for lack of fund, the accuser is poor.
I don't have much to say but I'll never forget the insult I received from one elderly man at someplace called Opokia in Ogun state because I referred to him as a yoruba man and tried to engage him with the little yoruba I learnt at Ibadan. Thank God or should I say thank my colleagues for calming him down and still God for not allowing bottle to be near him.
Since that day I've vowed never to call anybody a member of any ethnic group without his permission. Even in East now I seriously watch my steps, if enter places like pH I dare not call anybody Igbo before what happened in ogun will repeat itself.
For those wondering what made the man to nearly tear all my clothes, the man kept saying something like he is Egun or so

1 Like

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by TAO11(f): 12:32am On Aug 31, 2020
Bkayyy:

But you lots will fight tooth and nail to claim Lagos based on similar language.
Lagos is still a no man's land. Orji Uzor kalu said so and he is a senator in Federal Republic of Nigeria
Really??

Is Anambra still a no man’s land??

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by TAO11(f): 1:02am On Aug 31, 2020
Bkayyy:
••• I don't have much to say but I'll never forget the insult I received from one elderly man at someplace called Opokia in Ogun state because I referred to him as a yoruba man and tried to engage him with the little yoruba I learnt at Ibadan. Thank God or should I say thank my colleagues for calming him down and still God for not allowing bottle to be near him.
Since that day I've vowed never to call anybody a member of any ethnic group without his permission. Even in East now I seriously watch my steps, if enter places like pH I dare not call anybody Igbo before what happened in ogun will repeat itself.
For those wondering what made the man to nearly tear all my clothes, the man kept saying something like he is Egun or so
His anger is quite justified ... just kidding. smiley

On a serious note however, Egun is not a subgroup of Yoruba; just as Nri — for example — is not a subgroup of Edo for example.

Instead, Egun is a subgroup of an ethnic group called “Aja”. They are predominantly indigenous to the Republic of Benin where they live interspersed with some indigenous Yoruba subgroups of that country.
What made you assume he was Yoruba in the first place?? His looks?? Lol.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by BabaRamota1980: 4:43am On Aug 31, 2020
Bkayyy:

Kalu is just a Lagos-boy, he had to beg Omonile after they locked up his property for tax default.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by Yujin(m): 5:08pm On Sep 11, 2020
Bonessaw:
Nembe/Brass and Bonny are relatives. Bonny and Brass share a lot in common, even as far as having a convenant. In the past when Bonny was at war with her neigbours, Brass were the only group Bonny was at peace with. As a matter of fact Brass made Canoes for Bonny. Nembe/Brass is connected to Aboh, same way Bonny is connected to Ndokki. But on the case of Bonny/Ndoki it goes beyond paternship, it's blood related.
I'm aware of the connection between Brass and Aboh. The former was a tributary of the later. If there's more you know about the relationship please share with me.
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by oyatz(m): 8:31pm On Sep 12, 2020
Obalatule:
So is Lagos Ogun ondo, only Osun and. Oyo are true Yeroba

Who is a Yoruba man and what exactly define a Yoruba person?
Re: Igbo Or Ijaw, Who Owns Opobo? by Ugwuoha: 2:36pm On Nov 13, 2020
SlayerForever:

Onomatopoeia for what?

Where I come from "ja" means small.
When it refers to a man it means a small version of.., as in ezeja which means a junior king which is the same as a prince.
Ugwuja is another example. If a man whose name is Ugwu wishes to give his name to his son, then he has to attach "ja" to it to distinguish him from himself , hence "Ugwuja" that is Ugwu junior.
In the case of "Jaja" it means an only male child who succeeds his father who himself was an only male child of his own father, hence Jaja. That is a sole successor.

Onitsha people will call such a child Onochie.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How Terrorists Are Taking Charge Of Borno’s Ungoverned Spaces, Highways / Buhari, Stop The Reckless Borrowing - Punch Editorial / 2023: Give Wike Your Presidential Ticket, Ikpeazu Tells PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.