Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi (31982 Views)

This Bola Ahmed Tinubu Interview Is A Masterstroke / ESUTH: Setting The Records Straight - Gerald Orukwa / Ede COVID-19 Palliatives Warehouse Looting: Putting The Records Straight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by surgical: 9:20am On Aug 29, 2020
History555:
But asiwaju was seeking for government appointment in the early stages of the regime only to start forming activist once he did not get it.
my brother they think we are all fools because we bought their propaganda and voted buhari,they think they can always finger our brains

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by egoldman(m): 9:22am On Aug 29, 2020
It was during that dark period that Asiwaju granted that interview, when no one was proud of the country. The military were not building, they were simply destroying all that had been built. Everything was in disarray. All committed and highly-principled Nigerians lost belief in their country and hope in her well-ordained future.

So who is proud of the country as it is now? Who is proud of the killings going on ? Who is proud of the unending and compromised Boko Haram fight today? Is Buhari and the Army building Nigeria today? Is Nigeria Army today through the senior officers not not destroying all that has been built? Is everything not in disarray with this administration? Have committed and highly principled Nigerians not lost their faith in the ability of this administration to move the nation forward?

If you can honestly answer the above questions, then you will see that what you posted here is crap.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by goodnessme1(f): 9:25am On Aug 29, 2020
Xda59:

Do you know the rate of political assassination that went down during that era? Kanu would have been dead a long time ago. Everybody was living in fear and afraid to speak except for a few like gani and co whom they kept hauling in and out of prison.
Why didn't Gani and co dead since Kanu would have been dead?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Advocate500: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2020
ezechi24:

grin grin grin grin grin...tell me which other part of the country sees tinubu as relevant...apart from Lagos and osun ....lolzz you talk like a kid...you think tinubu was the one that made buhari? Obasanjo and atiku did so stop deceiving yourself...tinubu is a total waste when it comes to national politics watch how APC will collapse come 2023...no hausa Fulani man will vote tinubu ....they will rather vote atiku than tinubu...
we are saying the same thing,you did not read my comment very well, go back again and read what I wrote up there I will the last person to support Thieftinubu.is only miscreants and criminals will support a known bigots and drug baron as president.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by mu2sa2: 9:26am On Aug 29, 2020
ivandragon:
Op, as much as a person fully deserves to change his/her mind, the context you have presented does not satisfy the statement made at the time.

Won't it be best to post the whole interview?

He would have said he doesn't believe in military rule (which he was fighting against) & not in Nigeria.

Another interesting thing is how there is an effort to put his statement in context... This is the same thing some others have also stated about statements made by some former leaders especially the infamous 'stealing is not corruption'... Now the tables are turned, we are told to 'look at context'... That boat has long since sailed...
Dont him! All this grammar instead of posting excerpts that will interpret the context of the statement
Supposing, a person says today "I dont believe in Nigeria run by corrupt leaders". A mischievous reporter can
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by freeborn02: 9:27am On Aug 29, 2020
IamWonderful:
Only a fool will waste his time on product of baby factories, since they have been shouting and lamenting, Tinubu never answer anyone because it is making him more popular

Your statement shows you are not wonderful but that you are disgusting.

Bola Tinubu the thief will never become president

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by themanderon: 9:28am On Aug 29, 2020
Born2Breed:
"Why are the poor and oppressed always excited to tear down anyone questioning their oppressors? �"

Its called Stockholm Syndrome. They see the chains of their oppression as bracelets and love their oppressive masters.
Just look at grown men defending those that have completely mortgaged their future and that of their unborn generations to come.
That is how damaged the Psyche of the average Nigerian is. The electorates have been turned into perpetual beggars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by mu2sa2: 9:29am On Aug 29, 2020
ivandragon:
Op, as much as a person fully deserves to change his/her mind, the context you have presented does not satisfy the statement made at the time.

Won't it be best to post the whole interview?

He would have said he doesn't believe in military rule (which he was fighting against) & not in Nigeria.

Another interesting thing is how there is an effort to put his statement in context... This is the same thing some others have also stated about statements made by some former leaders especially the infamous 'stealing is not corruption'... Now the tables are turned, we are told to 'look at context'... That boat has long since sailed...
Dont mind him! All this grammar instead of posting excerpts from the interview that will interpret the context of the statement.
Supposing a person says today "I dont believe in Nigeria run by corrupt leaders". A mischievous reporter can misrepresent the speaker by quoting "I don't believe in
Nigeria " without the words "run by corrupt leaders".
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Jabioro: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2020
Guyman02:

You are enjoying freedom and democracy and at the same forming Amotekun to protect your lives from Fulani militia when we still have Nigeria Police, you need brain reset cool
I would need brain but not like yours..I witness and I am a living witness to military misrule
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by gudugudumeje: 9:39am On Aug 29, 2020
@Lanrelagboi:Obasanjo is the worst military and civilian vandal in govt. since 1974. Check records.... Selfish to be life president than re-birth /review the fraudulent 1999 Constitution and restructure... Nitwit, nincompoop...
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by gudugudumeje: 9:41am On Aug 29, 2020
@Lanrelagboi:Obasanjo is the worst military and civilian vandal in govt. since 1974. Check records.... Selfish to be life president than re-birth /review the fraudulent 1999 Constitution and restructure... Nitwitt, nincompoop...

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by ironheart(m): 9:43am On Aug 29, 2020
anonimi:

Abacha, Buhari, Babangida, Abdusalami Abubakar and the other leaders looters are not military or what?
they are all looters, can you be honest and say what the civilian administration has done so far? We dont care if you loot. Just do something. Take niger Delta as an example, they loot there common wealth and blame the north. Yet the north would loot small do small.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by AmuDimpka: 9:47am On Aug 29, 2020
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:50am On Aug 29, 2020
History555:
But asiwaju was seeking for government appointment in the early stages of the regime only to start forming activist once he did not get it.
Evidence or rot in hell
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by malakaimoscondo: 9:51am On Aug 29, 2020
StoneColdxx:

� you dey fear??
yes cos I don't want to be struggling again,, if I eventually found my self as minority under Biafra... it better make we share everything now as e suppose b
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Didi2d(m): 9:52am On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:
So you mean the same military kanu ran away from and yorubas tagged him a coward, is the same military that tinubu ran away from and his people hail him as jagaban?

I saw what you wrote and I smiled, don't know if its hate or you just felt like writing anything you feel like.
How can you compare a military regime with a Democratic regime? Please compare again and tell amongst both names you mentioned who's really a coward.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:53am On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:
So you mean the same military kanu ran away from and yorubas tagged him a coward, is the same military that tinubu ran away from and his people hail him as jagaban?
foo l.
With due respect to Kanu n Ibo agitation.
Military of Abacha is diff from military of Buhari's civilian rule.
How old are you during Abacha's regime? Do you know stove Abacha?
Do you know kerosene cost N50 per bottle around 1997-1998?
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by AmuDimpka: 9:53am On Aug 29, 2020
Born2Breed:
"Why are the poor and oppressed always excited to tear down anyone questioning their oppressors? �"

I think you are right, here in Nairaland, you see them especially misguided youth doing this ..it's a shame!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:54am On Aug 29, 2020
WoundedLamb:

I'm not big on politics but you don't believe in your country based on situations or conditions. That's not how patriotism works. If everything were good, there wouldn't even be any reason to bring up the subject of if you believe or not. It is only in such hard times that one really knows who believes in Nigeria and who doesn't and he said he didn't. If you say you don't believe in Nigeria when things aren't going your way and then turn around to believe in her when you get what you want, then you must understand the perspective of people who don't believe now because you were once in their shoes.

Anyway, people change. Everyone has the right to have a change of opinion and Tinubu isn't an exception. Just that this kind of statements is strong enough to affect one's political ambitions. And it's not our duty to defend these politicians. They don't care about us. Let's get logical and not emotional. Having a president of one's tribe doesn't put food on one's table. Let's judge by character. If Tinubu is a good man and Nigerians want him, cool. If federal character demands that an Easterner will rule, it's not enough to be from the East, let's the Easterners look for a reputable leader who has the interest of the people at heart. Let's move forward.

Me, I'd say I believe in Nigeria. But I guess I don't have the right to say that since I don't live in Nigeria.

#NoToTribalism
on point. I m waiting for the easterners to bring a reputable fellow. Their kids on nairaland are just ipob bigots

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Whitecoal711: 9:54am On Aug 29, 2020
And now we are in democracy how are we faring,
how is the economy compare to then
how much is dollar to naira
what is petrol price then and now,security how long is life span of a Nigeria now,justbto state a few.
Abeg bring back our military government after all it was during the era we built most of our bridges, and affordable houses
both apc or pdp we no want again
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 10:03am On Aug 29, 2020
It's very funny when people say that "make we divide Nigeria " make everybody go their way bla bla bla

The prevalent conditions that make the country a shithole today are still prevalent, and will make the breakaway countries even bigger shitholes if division does happen

Black men will NEVER get to the root of the matter, but instead will be chasing shadows and pointing fingers looking for who to blame
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 10:06am On Aug 29, 2020
Born2Breed:

It is because many Nigerians are uneducated, psychologically damaged, and slaves to pettiness and tribalism

Is this how the new countries will be better ?
When the countries will still be filled with the same mass of uneducated stupid people?

I laugh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by mabea: 10:08am On Aug 29, 2020
WoundedLamb:

I'm not big on politics but you don't believe in your country based on situations or conditions. That's not how patriotism works. If everything were good, there wouldn't even be any reason to bring up the subject of if you believe or not. It is only in such hard times that one really knows who believes in Nigeria and who doesn't and he said he didn't. If you say you don't believe in Nigeria when things aren't going your way and then turn around to believe in her when you get what you want, then you must understand the perspective of people who don't believe now because you were once in their shoes.

Anyway, people change. Everyone has the right to have a change of opinion and Tinubu isn't an exception. Just that this kind of statements is strong enough to affect one's political ambitions. And it's not our duty to defend these politicians. They don't care about us. Let's get logical and not emotional. Having a president of one's tribe doesn't put food on one's table. Let's judge by character. If Tinubu is a good man and Nigerians want him, cool. If federal character demands that an Easterner will rule, it's not enough to be from the East, let's the Easterners look for a reputable leader who has the interest of the people at heart. Let's move forward.

Me, I'd say I believe in Nigeria. But I guess I don't have the right to say that since I don't live in Nigeria.

#NoToTribalism
This is a wise saying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 10:10am On Aug 29, 2020
walexbiz:
As a proud Yoruba man, there is no way I would subscribe to this image laundering act been exhibited by Tinubu and his cohort. If the Fulani man who happens to be the president of this geographical expression had ruled the country with justice, fairness and equity, citizens would have a sense of belonging and irrespective of whatever any person said in the past wouldn't have mattered because that would have been the personal personal opinion but unfortunately the country is badly governed and there is hopelessness and hunger in the land and everybody is fed up with this colonial arrangement and rather than bring prosperity to the people, they have been subjected to untold hardship. irrespective of the political aspiration of Mr Tinubu we all demand peaceful disintegration of this entity into its constituent geographical makeup.

So after disintegrating

The problems that made Nigeria a shithole will just magically disappear?
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by goodnessme1(f): 10:19am On Aug 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

So after disintegrating

The problems that made Nigeria a shithole will just magically disappear?
But being together will make the problems disappear magically?

We have tried one nigeria for more than fifty years,lets try another thing.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Ooe33: 10:19am On Aug 29, 2020
Lol. I can truly see u don't live in Nigeria. Cos no Action, done by an aspirant can adversely affect his chances in the polls. Not to talk about just a speech.

Go and search for James Ibori. till date he is still idolized by the same people he failed.

WoundedLamb:

#NoToTribalism
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by DexterousOne(m): 10:24am On Aug 29, 2020
goodnessme1:
But being together will make the problems disappear magically?

We have tried one nigeria for more than fifty years,lets try another thing.

That is the point I'm trying to make

It's not in the country being together or apart that Is the problem

It is the PEOPLE in the country that is the problem

And of course
Misgovernance at all levels of government
We are quick to blame the federal government
But our states and local governments that are closer to us, and are most likely going to be of similar stock as us are also failing us woefully

Look at the disgrace we have in Abia state for example

My point is....
Breaking up or remaining together
If the underlying issues are not dealt with
It's still the same crap we are going to get

No thanks to Buhari misrule
The country is now very much divided
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by honeyB2018: 10:25am On Aug 29, 2020
yommen:

OBJ? THAT GREEDY OLD MAN!!! YOU WANNA TELL ME NIGERIA IN 2007 WAS BETTER THAN NIGERIA IN 1999 AFTER OBASANJO RULED FOR 8 YEARS?

No human being is perfect, just as no government is perfect also, Both Obj and his regime, were not.
Buhari, started preparing to rule Nigeria, by been a serial contender, till luck smiled on him in 2015. One may ask, with all his preparations and his eventually becoming president, what has Nigeria benefited from him, with the way Nigeria presently is been ruled by him.?
This is the imperfection of man and government.
But I'm talking about what Tinubu, was reported to have said, and an Obj, from the Yoruba race, as someone was trying to justify Tinubu's reported statement.
Obj, till date, remains an outstanding, non sectional, non tribal leader to come from the Southwest.
His love for Nigeria, can't be matched by any Yoruba leader, dead or alive.
Tinubu's love for Nigeria, is for the acquisition of power, that is why the yorubas, don't see anything wrong with what Buhari has done and is doing.
Fashola and Yemi Osinbajo, said so prior to the 2019 general elections, that the yorubas should support Buhari, so that after his rule, he will hand over to the people of Southwest in 2023. So you can see, why Buhari is lord over them.
Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by mabea: 10:28am On Aug 29, 2020
Didi2d:

I saw what you wrote and I smiled, don't know if its hate or you just felt like writing anything you feel like.
How can you compare a military regime with a Democratic regime? Please compare again and tell amongst both names you mentioned who's really a coward.
You mean military men are allowed to go to someone's house and kill him in democracy? You get sense well well.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by Rugaria: 10:29am On Aug 29, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Mai blodaa...

E be things..

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by kelly72: 10:39am On Aug 29, 2020
LOL.....So what about those who believed in Nigeria even during the military era?

Ok, who else has been watching?
Even during this Buhari government, anytime it seems Buhari has turned his back on Tinubu,
he and his wife will start granting interviews criticising Buhari. Tinubu will start calling for restructuring.

There is an interview by Oluremi Tinubu where she said she warned her husband not to help Buhari
but he went ahead still. Now see what they are doing to my husband.

Even Tinubu alleged that Buhari lived in his house for some time.

He is a political investor, not a statesman.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu's Interview In 1997: Setting The Records Straight - Ademola Oshodi by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:49am On Aug 29, 2020
Frog eye thief will never be president

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Peter Obi: N400bn Too Much For COVID-19 Vaccines. I Can Procure For N150bn / Obi Wins Plateau State / Bugaje To Buhari: I Rejected Your Appointment Because My Hands Are Full

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.