Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,254 members, 7,815,385 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

A Question For Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Question For Yorubas (580 Views)

Quick Question For Yoruba People (and Igbos Too) / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 10:21am On Sep 07, 2020
Their heart would be beating so fast now as they click the link

macof, BabaRamota1980, LegendHero tao11

If the kinglist of benin in 1897 and 1901 excluded oromiyan in its list

Why did in 1924 Talbot included oromiyan as a ruler in the kinglist same as egharevba, if indeed the reasons the first earliest two didn't add oromiyan was because he never ruled, so why did talbot add him still

Because as far as i can see 1914 had passed so probably it was altered to include oromiyan for ethnic favour by the benins....

We also saw that in 1903, it was eweka that was sent from ife to benin, this was the very first origin and the beginning of the distortion on benin history

The qoute.... Eweka was sent from Ife to rule benin and when he came to the city he oppressed the weak, took their wives and if any man be too strong for him he makes a truce with him

This very first quote never included oromiyan coming to benin like Tao11 always masturbate on With her love for oromiyan tales

I believe after some years before 1924, some cultural supiority qualms erupted between alafin and ooni, so there was a need for the ooni to include him in the moonlight tales of oduduwa genealogy rewriting 1903
Statement to accompany alafin of oyo as second to oduduwa throne, thereby by bringing the story
of oromiyan from ife to the already benin-myth of 1903 to form a brotherly connection

Note for my ayelala post earlier.....

Aye means the name of the idol and lala means, sounding or warnings

Let our yoruba Brothers masturbate on this

Tao11 i want your neck on this post and make your answer short or i will call Etinosa or vali for you
Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 10:37am On Sep 07, 2020
She is viewing

Re: A Question For Yorubas by TAO11(f): 11:02am On Sep 07, 2020
Hahaha! grin cheesy You’ve rushed to create another thread after the disgrace on the Igbo thread.

Refutation:
(1) First of all, extant Yoruba accounts and Benin accounts hold that Oranmiyan did not get to be coronated as Oba in Benin, although that was the original agreement all along.

While most of the Edo elders, who of course invited him to Benin (then Ado), supported that he should reign as King, a handful of the elders were non-cooperating.

The resistance from this pocket of resisting elders appears sufficient to frustrate and dispirit the original agreement and plans.

He ultimately left Ado, but his son born to him by one of their ladies was subsequently coronated as the first Oba. This is, however, not without some commitment and side conditions to appease the disgruntled elders.

Thus did Eweka 1 (his son) become the first Oba of Benin. This is the standard and extant traditional account from both the Yoruba side and the Benin side.

It is only relatively recently that the Binis began to confuse themselves and others. They can not even agree among themselves till date on who their first Oba was between Oranmiyan and his son (Eweka 1).

This muddling and conflation played out publicly quite recently during the coronation of the reigning Benin King when he publicly announced himself as the 40th Oba even though his immediate predecessor was the 38th.

So, your question of why the later Benin king-lists (such as the one collected by Talbot in Benin, or the one collected by Egharevba from an Esekhurhe priest) now has Oranmiyan as the first Oba is a question to be directed to yourself and their Bini informants. It appears obvious that confusion is an early Bini thing. grin

It is not surprising then that the earliest known Benin king-list collected by Captain Ernest Roupell in 1897-8 has Eweka 1 has the first Oba of Benin. This is in perfect agreement with extant Yoruba traditional accounts and extant Benin traditional accounts.

Refer to S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People”, 2010, Amalion Publishing, p.117 for a summary of this extant Benin and Yoruba traditional accounts.

(2) Refer to the following link for a refutation of the other dumb ‘arguments’ of this Edo dullard:

https://www.nairaland.com/6048841/how-unveil-promote-ancient-igbo/55#93639393

25 Likes

Re: A Question For Yorubas by TAO11(f): 11:58am On Sep 07, 2020
And here is the link to your moronic “Ayelala” thread so everyone can see how I disgraced you there too:

https://www.nairaland.com/6097950/ayelala-benin-worship-dont-mind#93590343

Btw, I also commented on that thread with my @OmoOlofin moniker. Just making sure folks are aware of this. grin

5 Likes

Re: A Question For Yorubas by AreaFada2: 2:01pm On Sep 07, 2020
Lol.
Everyone knows that post-1914, it became clear that the silly entity put together by the British would be a disaster.

So people began to consolidate relevance along ethnic and religious lines or both. Especially North & current SW.

Oduduwa & Oranmiyan stories were further embellished.

Alake recklessly ranked Oba of Benin as 3rd in Yorubaland. Alakes seem to like reckless talk sha, like the one in Western House of parliament about 70 years ago. Yet they say Oranmiyan left Benin to found Oyo monarchy. grin cheesy

Our SW people are confused about Oduduwa & Oranmiyan story. Too many versions that conflict. Which is a pity. Because many actually see the four walls of a school but remain rooted in ethnic ego massage and herd mentality. That's why I like my people from Eastern Yorubaland. Those born and raised there have a mind of their own. See Fayoshe. Even Aketi Arakunrin Akerodolu & Fayemi, despite being in Angry People's Catacombs of a party, they still do not kiss dry ass of beggar for "Aso Rock". grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Even our cross-dresser friend TOA-TOA Christmas cracker here keeps quoting papers amateurishly cobbled together by Ibadan press pseudo-intellectuals that make no iota of sense. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Instead of humbly, objectively and dispassionately researching where Oduwawa truly came from. The dude travelled from Benin via Owo to enter Ife from the East.

Chai! The guy was so cool and regal that they thought he was a heavenly being. Benin to the Yorubas and to the World. Obaghator Kpere! Ise!

Gregyboy, ghostwon

1 Like

Re: A Question For Yorubas by TAO11(f): 2:04pm On Sep 07, 2020
AreaFada2:
[s]Lol.
Everyone knows that post-1914, it became clear that the silly entity put together by the British would be a disaster.

So people began to consolidate relevance along ethnic and religious lines or both. Especially North & current SW.

Alake recklessly ranked Oba of Benin as 3rd in Yorubaland. Alakes seem to like reckless talk sha, like the one in Western House of parliament about 70 years ago. Yet they say Oranmiyan left Benin to found Oyo monarchy. grin cheesy

Our SW people are confused about Oduduwa & Oranmiyan story. Too many versions that conflict. Even our cross-dresser friend TOA-TOA Christmas cracker here keeps quoting papers amateurishly cobbled together by Ibadan press pseudo-intellectuals that make no iota of sense. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Instead of humbly, objectively and dispassionately researching where Oduwawa truly came from. The dude travelled from Benin via Owo to enter Ife from the East.

Chai! The guy was so cool and regal that they thought he was a heavenly being. Benin to the Yorubas and to the World. Obaghator Kpere! Ise![/s]
See the link below for a devastating refutation of your above imaginations:

https://www.nairaland.com/6048841/how-unveil-promote-ancient-igbo/55#93639393

As per the bold: I thought the Benin people wanted to kill your fictitious version of Oduduwa! Or did they forgive him?? cheesy

If I were in his shoes, I won’t bother leaving Ughoton and then travel to Owo and then Ife through the same Benin where they wanted to kill me. grin

8 Likes

Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2020
AreaFada2:
Lol.

Our SW people are confused about Oduduwa & Oranmiyan story. Too many versions that conflict. Which is a pity. Because many actually see the four walls of a school but remain rooted in ethnic ego massage and herd mentality. That's why I like my people from Eastern Yorubaland. Those born and raised there have a mind of their own. See Fayoshe. Even Aketi Arakunrin Akerodolu & Fayemi, despite being in Angry People's Catacombs of a party, they still do not kiss dry ass of beggar for "Aso Rock". grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Even our cross-dresser friend TOA-TOA Christmas cracker here keeps quoting papers amateurishly cobbled together by Ibadan press pseudo-intellectuals that make no iota of sense. cheesy cheesy grin grin

Chai! The guy was so cool and regal that they thought he was a heavenly being. Benin to the Yorubas and to the World. Obaghator Kpere! Ise!

Gregyboy, ghostwon

Ise......

I dont really blame oba eweka 11, for our distorted history, it a good thing the distorted history was for a unifying purpose

Eweka11 was a true king and i respect him alot, if not for anything but for is wisdom, it wouldn't have been easy for we benins coming out from the effects of the war, with our little population if not for him
Today we are still standing next to the three big tribe in nigeria thanks to him for his bold and smart steps

My blames is this generation who tries to politicize and culturalize the whole diplomactic moves, particularly the yorubas who are using it for their own advantage and trying to yorubanise we benins

They dont know anything beyond amassing population, thanks to democracy that made having population useful

I know they are many benin royals from the palace who are on nairaland i hope they see the truth, and the great step taken by oba eweka11 to make benin what it is today.....

We all now know were the lines of both history were joined now

Eweka11 ghato kpere...... Ise
Re: A Question For Yorubas by AreaFada2: 6:54pm On Sep 07, 2020
gregyboy:

Ise......

I dont really blame oba eweka 11, for our distorted history, it a good thing the distorted history was for a unifying purpose

Eweka11 was a true king and i respect him alot, if not for anything but for is wisdom, it wouldn't have been easy for we benins coming out from the effects of the war, with our little population if not for him
Today we are still standing next to the three big tribe in nigeria thanks to him for his bold and smart steps

My blames is this generation who tries to politicize and culturalize the whole diplomactic moves, particularly the yorubas who are using it for their own advantage and trying to yorubanise we benins

They dont know anything beyond amassing population, thanks to democracy that made having population useful

I know they are many benin royals from the palace who are on nairaland i hope they see the truth, and the great step taken by oba eweka11 to make benin what it is today.....

We all now know were the lines of both history were joined now

Eweka11 ghato kpere...... Ise

Ise!

Well, the title Eweka II says it all. It was another interregnum all over again. But this time with more "enemies" from outside. People previously part of Benin Empire until 1897 and Britain intent on crushing any opposition to colonial ambitions.

Benin renounced swathes of territory as part of the conditions for restoration. It was survival at that point. Imagine if Benin Kingdom was not yet restored by 1960.

Ancestors of these people arguing here would have written articles upon articles that there was never any monarch in Benin. Their would be plastering this this thread with those Propaganda articles write now calling it the truth.

Western Region would have probably manoeuvred and impose worse restoration conditions.

Awo would have sought to put Olu of Warri (for his unashamed tribalistic policies, since to him Nigeria was only a geographical expression) above Benin. His manoeuvre to raise Olu of Itsekiri to Olu of Warri to led crisis in Old Warri province. It was settled by changing the name to Delta Province that still gave the name Delta State today.

Yes, modern generations won't understand the state of shock post 1897 and all the dark forces at play that Eweka II outwitted.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 8:26pm On Sep 07, 2020
AreaFada2:

Ise!

Well, the title Eweka II says it all. It was another interregnum all over again. But this time with more "enemies" from outside. People previously part of Benin Empire until 1897 and Britain intent on crushing any opposition to colonial ambitions.

Benin renounced swathes of territory as part of the conditions for restoration. It was survival at that point. Imagine if Benin Kingdom was not yet restored by 1960.

Ancestors of these people arguing here would have written articles upon articles that there was never any monarch in Benin. Their would be plastering this this thread with those Propaganda articles write now calling it the truth.

Western Region would have probably manoeuvred and impose worse restoration conditions.

Awo would have sought to put Olu of Warri (for his unashamed tribalistic policies, since to him Nigeria was only a geographical expression) above Benin. His manoeuvre to raise Olu of Itsekiri to Olu of Warri to led crisis in Old Warri province. It was settled by changing the name to Delta Province that still gave the name Delta State today.

Yes, modern generations won't understand the state of shock post 1897 and all the dark forces at play that Eweka II outwitted.

Eweka11 and ovaramen are the kings i respect so much, the burning of benin by the British didnt stop benins from fighting, reinforcement was even coming esan for backup....
The tears and cries were too much to behold the warriors were still fighting even after benin was on fire, oba ovaramwen had to came out from hiding when he saw the burnings, he surrender and told his warriors to stop fighting,
Before esan warriors arrived benin had already surrender and they surrender too

My great grand dad followed ovaramwen
to clabar

Benin has always had great kings and great people too,

Edos as a whole is a divinely bless tribe.... Despite our little population we still being heard
Both in politics, sport, entertainment,

I just pray i get into power one day as a governor in edo state i will show the full 35 state edo has people who divinely bless

The British feared us till the very last moment they left nigeria, they didnt want to consider risking power back into our hands.....
Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 8:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
AreaFada2:

Ise!

Eweka11 was very smart, there was no other tribe he could run to rather than the yorubas and their population was an advantage too,

Even when he was ranked 3rd, amongst the yoruba kings i believe he was so happy at those very moment to get a position as that, but the devil dont give anything for free, his history was rewritten for it, so as to be accepted as a son of oduduwa, but he wasnt bothered about it, he was happy going to the ooni palace participating in the ritual rites performed at the ooni palace,
Thanks to the ooni too most other kings would have taken more chances towards him, and i believed the ooni too was also honored to have the benin monarchy as an oduduwa son, during all this, most yorubas kings were not happy that the oba of benin was given that position because he couldn't even speak or hear yoruba, and marginalization sets in towards the edo people , and the other Yoruba kings started rewriting history demoting the benin obas, till benins followed suite, to rewrite history to favour them....

This is the chapter we are....... Now
Re: A Question For Yorubas by Karanka: 11:37am On Sep 10, 2020
@gregyboy and AreaFada2, do you mind enlightening us on this 'ise' thing you guys say. Igbos say something similar too.
Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 12:28pm On Sep 10, 2020
Karanka:
@gregyboy and AreaFada2, do you mind enlightening us on this 'ise' thing you guys say. Igbos say something similar too.

Ise mean amen...... In benin

Like oba kha to kpere ise......

Only the igbos with edo identitys mostly use the word ise to refer to amen amongst igbos

1 Like

Re: A Question For Yorubas by Karanka: 5:32pm On Sep 11, 2020
gregyboy:

Ise mean amen...... In benin

Like oba kha to kpere ise......

Only the igbos with edo identitys mostly use the word ise to refer to amen amongst igbos

Thanks plenty for this.
You see,I've been noticing some similarities in Benin language and Igbo,as well as Benin culture and Igbo.
I just wish to know more.
I believe the real truth of the history of many ethnic groups in Nigeria has been deliberately hidden, and false narratives propagated,even when they don't corroborate with evidences on ground.
Do you know of a place called Okokugbo in Ewvotubu,Benin?
Re: A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 5:40pm On Sep 11, 2020
Karanka:

Thanks plenty for this.
You see,I've been noticing some similarities in Benin language and Igbo,as well as Benin culture and Igbo.
I just wish to know more.
I believe the real truth of the history of many ethnic groups in Nigeria has been deliberately hidden, and false narratives propagated,even when they don't corroborate with evidences on ground.
Do you know of a place called Okokugbo in Ewvotubu,Benin?

Yes is that were you are from

(1) (Reply)

Dead Man Sits On A Chair, Wears Expensive Suit On His Own Funeral (see The Video / Elerin Of Erin-ile's 40th Anniversary On The Throne And 80th Years Birthday / Esan Cultural Skills Without Mask For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.