Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola (1168 Views)

I Will Not Consider U 4 Ministerial Appointment – Buhari Tells Fashola, Amaechi / President Jonathan Sack Striking Doctors. / Tinubu Urges Fashola To Sack Striking Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EkoIle1: 3:34am On Feb 24, 2011
Sack striking doctors, Tinubu tells Fashola
By OLUWOLE FAROTIMI
Thursday, February 24, 2011
• Fashola
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

The raging cold war between the resident doctors in Lagos and the state government over salary adjustment further nosedived yesterday as the leader of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu ordered the state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola to immediately sack all the aggrieved doctors and hire new ones.

Tinubu, who was a former governor of Lagos State between 1999 and 2007 declared that the state government was not ready to come to terms with the aggrieved doctors saying it was not compulsory for them to be members of the state civil service.

Tinubu, who spoke at a stakeholders meeting with Christian representatives from various churches across the state at Lagos State government meeting with religious leaders held at Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos, averred that the striking medical doctors who remained adamant to all pleas made by the government should resign from Lagos State employment or be sacked.

According to him, “the strike by the doctors is more political than actual protest about salary. We discovered that the said former chairman of the Medical Guild, Lagos State chapter, Dr. Ibrahim Olaifa whom they want government to reinstate is now a People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for House of Representatives in Oyo State.

“The same man who was dismissed by the health authority in the state over his misconduct had gone to court to challenge the action and still wants the state government that you took to court to reinstate him, while the case is still on in court,” he said. According to Tinubu, “I have told Fashola to sack all of them (doctors) and recruit new ones immediately because if you surrender the authority of the state to their blackmail, you are finished. If they believe that, they can work with Federal Government where there are no modern equipment like we have in our hospitals here; let them get out.”

He stressed further: “It is we that produced them in Lagos and they are now threatening us. Babatunde, since you have met them thrice and they refused to listen, get them out of the job and recruit new ones who are ready to comply and cooperate with us.” The former governor argued that it was unreasonable for the doctors to be demanding for about 35 percent of the total budget of the state for their own salary alone to the detriment of others saying, “let them go away, they have made me angry.”

Speaking earlier, Fashola in his account of stewardship disclosed that he had earlier increased the salary of junior doctors from N110,000.00 to N170,000. 00 and senior doctors from N300,000.00 to N700,000.00, “But they are still unyielding, saying I will continue to appeal to them for the sake of dying patients.

“While the salary of senior doctors in state is now N700, 000.00, none of my commissioners receives up to N500, 000.00, including the state commissioner for health who is their boss. Still they are not cooperating; we are imploring you again to persuade them to go back to work and save the situation,” Fashola remarked.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/feb/24/national-24-02-2011-014.htm
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EkoIle1: 3:40am On Feb 24, 2011
Fashola need to stop playing this Mr nice guy routine with these doctor clowns in Lagos. Like Tinubu said, let them go work for the federal government.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:47am On Feb 24, 2011
Eko Ile:

these [b]doctor clowns[/b]in Lagos.

Don't get sick.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EkoIle1: 4:01am On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Don't get sick.

What's getting sick got to do with anything?
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by ikeyman00(m): 6:38am On Feb 24, 2011
nawoooo
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by solihu(m): 8:06am On Feb 24, 2011
Seriously, I want to beleive there is a political 'veil' in this so called agitation of the Doctors.

'wen woman do too much, na to name am man remain'.

Bros Fash! Abeg, use timbolo kick dem out!
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by doctorT(m): 8:26am On Feb 24, 2011
If the analysis by Fashola is true then this strike is more of a political move then. Imagine after series of increment. At least they should try to shift ground too.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by jacobs123(m): 8:51am On Feb 24, 2011
Tinubu has control of the media so this blackmail of the doctors is expected. I want the dotors to reach a middle ground too but Lagos is always insincere believing that they can do everything in the media.

As per Fashola's comments, there are public teachers and doctors in UK who earn more than the Prime minister. It's all about your contribution.

Tinubu is complaining about thebudget when his company collects like 10% of our tax and he almost owns the state!!!
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EzeUche2(m): 8:55am On Feb 24, 2011
This Tinubu came a long way. My Yoruba professor was joking how this man was barely surviving in the U.S. driving cabs in Chicago and now look at him now! Looting public funds. It must be nice for him. grin
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by Akanbiedu(m): 9:00am On Feb 24, 2011
jacobs123:

Tinubu has control of the media so this blackmail of the doctors is expected. I want the dotors to reach a middle ground too but Lagos is always insincere believing that they can do everything in the media.

As per Fashola's comments, there are public teachers and doctors in UK who earn more than the Prime minister. It's all about your contribution.

Tinubu is complaining about thebudget when his company collects like 10% of our tax and he almost owns the state!!!

Ignorance at its best.

It's really easy to spot those who have never managed anything in their life.

Fashola should stop playing mr nice guy with these people abeg.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EkoIle1: 9:15am On Feb 24, 2011
jacobs123:

Let facts and knowledge speak for you, not ignorance and your hatred for Tinubu.

This is what the state is paying against what the federal government is paying,

He however noted that the new Lagos State Medical Salary Structure (LAMESS) is very much at par with the agreed consolidated medical salary structure (CONMESS) "except in a few areas where there are some minor differentials in the actual pay of some of the consultants."

He pointed out for example the entry point for a House Officer on CONMESS is about N219, 000 while for the LAMESS it is N207, 629.50 bringing a differential of about N12, 000; similarly for the highest paid Consultant, the new pay is N700, 015, 50 while in the old pay it is about N300, 000 although in CONMESS it is about N800, 000

http://allafrica.com/stories/201102140343.html

And on top of that, the state is offering free  housing, cars and health care that the federal government is not offering. Obviously, the state is paying way way more than what's available elsewhere. The state still have to improve facilities, build hospitals, clinics and provide tools and equipment.

Fashola is doing Mr nice guy, he should just go ahead and pay them what the feds are paying and let them worry about cars, housing and health care on their own.

And why even talk about the UK? Is this the UK and is the economy in Lagos and UK the same?
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by yemmight(m): 9:29am On Feb 24, 2011
These Doctors should consider the people dying everyday.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by texazzpete(m): 10:24am On Feb 24, 2011
yemmight:

These Doctors should consider the people dying everyday.

Fashola should consider the people dying everyday too. Didn't he swear an oath to protect the lives of Lagosians?
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 24, 2011
EzeUche_:

This Tinubu came a long way. My Yoruba professor was joking how this man was barely surviving in the U.S. driving cabs in Chicago and now look at him now! Looting public funds. It must be nice for him. grin

is it the same tinubu who was mobil treasurer you are talking about?

or was your guy being cunning - tinubu probably drove cabs as student.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by seanet02: 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2011
Ezeuche, carry your mad.ness somewhere else, How many States in the south east can allow their Doctors to Earn more than the Commissioners in the State Cabinets? A commissioner in Lagos is earning less than N500,000 while a doctor earns over N700,000, can Obi who has not even paid your doctors like that? Stop putting tribalism into every issue. Fashola should Sack them without any Retirement Benefits for killing People indirectly. They deserve to be hanged.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EzeUche2(m): 2:37pm On Feb 24, 2011
seanet02:

Ezeuche, carry your mad.ness somewhere else, How many States in the south east can allow their Doctors to Earn more than the Commissioners in the State Cabinets? A commissioner in Lagos is earning less than N500,000 while a doctor earns over N700,000, can Obi who has not even paid your doctors like that? Stop putting tribalism into every issue. Fashola should Sack them without any Retirement Benefits for killing People indirectly. They deserve to be hanged.

I hope you people do know that there is a shortage in doctors in Nigeria. We do not have enough doctors in Nigeria, so it would not be wise to sack them, because of the small amounts of Nigeria.

And where is the tribalism? Simply said he was driving cabs in Chicago, which is the truth. Now he #1 thief in Lagos. Am I lying?
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by seanet02: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2011
EzeUche_:

I hope you people do know that there is a shortage in doctors in Nigeria. We do not have enough doctors in Nigeria, so it would not be wise to sack them, because of the small amounts of Nigeria.

And where is the tribalism? Simply said he was driving cabs in Chicago, which is the truth. Now he #1 thief in Lagos. Am I lying?

Yes you are a liar! Is it the the same TINUBU who was the treasurer at Mobil or the Ojukwu who disguised in Buba and Iro and ran off to Ivory coast? Ezeuche you are stuupeed!
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by udezue(m): 4:26pm On Feb 24, 2011
These Yoruba ppl on NL are sick in the head. I don't see anything ethnic about what EzeUche said. Jeez bunch of tribal simpletons
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by 9ijaMan: 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2011
Another simple reason I cannot vote for Ribadu. This will be an example of the sort of advice he'll be getting from the ACN strongman, Tinubu. You cannot wine and dine with the devil and turn around to deny him.
[size=15pt]
VOTE BB 2011 for the real change we need!
[/size]
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by seanet02: 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2011
9ijaMan:

Another simple reason I cannot vote for Ribadu. This will be an example of the sort of advice he'll be getting from the ACN strongman, Tinubu. You cannot wine and dine with the devil and turn around to deny him.
[size=15pt]
VOTE BB 2011 for the real change we need!
[/size]

No need to say more, your username have said it all. Nigerians don't think beyond their sight
udezue:

These Yoruba ppl on NL are sick in the head. I don't see anything ethnic about what EzeUche said. Jeez bunch of tribal simpletons
What a M.O.R.O.N! Tell me an Eastern state Government that pays Doctors N700,000 monthly and i will believe Ojukwu never ran away to Ivory coast for fear of being killed by Rampaging Obj?
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by EzeUche2(m): 7:39pm On Feb 24, 2011
seanet02:

Yes you are a liar! Is it the the same TINUBU who was the treasurer at Mobil or the Ojukwu who disguised in Buba and Iro and ran off to  Ivory coast? Ezeuche you are stuupeed!

No I am not you buffoon! I know people who were in Chicago, when he was living there. He was driving a cab, barely making it. He went to Chicago State University. The man came a long way. And this is not hearsay. One of my professors was studying at Urbana knew him well.

Now who is the fool? Do not talk about something you don't know. Well that is in the past. Tinubu went from a cabbie to #1 thief in Lagos.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 24, 2011
EzeUche_:

No I am not you buffoon! I know people who were in Chicago, when he was living there. He was driving a cab, barely making it. He went to Chicago State University. The man came a long way. And this is not hearsay. One of my professors was studying at Urbana knew him well.

Now who is the fool? Do not talk about something you don't know. Well that is in the past. Tinubu went from a cabbie to #1 thief from Lagos.

a student driving a cab is 'barely making it' cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

wetin man no go hear for this nl cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by dayokanu(m): 7:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
texazzpete:

Fashola should consider the people dying everyday too. Didn't he swear an oath to protect the lives of Lagosians?

Fashola should just hand over the state treasury to the doctors When they are already earning more than anyone else in the country
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by rasputinn(m): 8:15pm On Feb 24, 2011
On this occasion,I agree with Tinubu,those so-called doctors are shameless,ungrateful,heartless and wicked
Useless bunch,is it by force to work for LASG,let them go work for the FG or better still in Baghdad,I think they'll earn more there
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by texazzpete(m): 8:26pm On Feb 24, 2011
dayokanu:

Fashola should just hand over the state treasury to the doctors When they are already earning more than anyone else in the country

Yes o! This is the same way we sneered at ASUU when they made their demands for better treatment. Now look what is happening to our Educational sector. A country that is dependent on Oil and Gas for over 85% of our income and yet only 3 active Professors of Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria. Schools are losing accreditation at every turn, haf-baked graduates are being churned out daily.
So yes, let's gloss over all the issues. Nonsense.

rasputinn:

On this occasion,I agree with Tinubu,those so-called doctors are shameless,ungrateful,heartless and wicked
Useless bunch,is it by force to work for LASG,let them go work for the FG or better still in Baghdad,I think they'll earn more there

it is also not by force that the huge population in Lagos should descend upon the state hospitals. Let them go to Private clinics!!
Doctors should be 'ungrateful' for being paid less than what their counterparts in the Federal Government earn, even after they did most of the fighting for the CONMESS salary scale. By all mean, agree with Tinubu! As if the man will ever set foot in a State hospital. When push comes to the shove, Tinubu will be relaxing in a private ward in an exclusive private clinic while your likes will make do with a crowded public clinic with overworked and overstressed doctors.
Re: Sack Striking Doctors, Tinubu Tells Fashola by thehomer: 10:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
I think this story makes for interesting reading if only for examining the fallacies presented.

Eko Ile:

Sack striking doctors, Tinubu tells Fashola
By OLUWOLE FAROTIMI
Thursday, February 24, 2011
• Fashola
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

The raging cold war between the resident doctors in Lagos and the state government over salary adjustment further nosedived yesterday as the leader of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu ordered the state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola to immediately sack all the aggrieved doctors and hire new ones.

Can Bola Tinubu actually order Babatunde fashola?

Eko Ile:

Tinubu, who was a former governor of Lagos State between 1999 and 2007 declared that the state government was not ready to come to terms with the aggrieved doctors saying it was not compulsory for them to be members of the state civil service.

Tinubu, who spoke at a stakeholders meeting with Christian representatives from various churches across the state at Lagos State government meeting with religious leaders held at Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos, averred that the striking medical doctors who remained adamant to all pleas made by the government should resign from Lagos State employment or be sacked.

According to him, “the strike by the doctors is more political than actual protest about salary. We discovered that the said former chairman of the Medical Guild, Lagos State chapter, Dr. Ibrahim Olaifa whom they want government to reinstate is now a People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for House of Representatives in Oyo State.

Is he really sure? What is his actual claim? That this Dr. Ibrahim Olaifa is some sort of mastermind behind the entire strike?

Eko Ile:

“The same man who was dismissed by the health authority in the state over his misconduct had gone to court to challenge the action and still wants the state government that you took to court to reinstate him, while the case is still on in court,” he said. According to Tinubu, “I have told Fashola to sack all of them (doctors) and recruit new ones immediately because if you surrender the authority of the state to their blackmail, you are finished. If they believe that, they can work with Federal Government where there are no modern equipment like we have in our hospitals here; let them get out.”

Hmm poisoning the well.

Eko Ile:

He stressed further: “It is we that produced them in Lagos and they are now threatening us. Babatunde, since you have met them thrice and they refused to listen, get them out of the job and recruit new ones who are ready to comply and cooperate with us.” The former governor argued that it was unreasonable for the doctors to be demanding for about 35 percent of the total budget of the state for their own salary alone to the detriment of others saying, “let them go away, they have made me angry.”

Does this guy think medical doctors grow on trees? Is Lagos state the only state that produces medical doctors or do they only hire medical doctors trained in Lagos?
I wonder if he has not heard of unions.
35% of the entire state budget? This is demonstrably false. It seems this guy simply wants to make stuff up as he goes along.

Eko Ile:

Speaking earlier, Fashola in his account of stewardship disclosed that he had earlier increased the salary of junior doctors from N110,000.00 to N170,000. 00 and senior doctors from N300,000.00 to N700,000.00, “But they are still unyielding, saying I will continue to appeal to them for the sake of dying patients.

Considering the various ranks of doctors available, this looks like another fabrication or at least an obfuscation.
The 2010 budget is at least available online for interested parties here see #89 for the total personnel costs for the ministry of health (which includes not just doctors but other health workers.) If one were to multiply this figure by 10, it would still not be up to 10% of the budget for 2010 (unless I'm missing something).

Eko Ile:

“While the salary of senior doctors in state is now N700, 000.00, none of my commissioners receives up to N500, 000.00, including the state commissioner for health who is their boss. Still they are not cooperating; we are imploring you again to persuade them to go back to work and save the situation,” Fashola remarked.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/feb/24/national-24-02-2011-014.htm

So what? Do the commissioners actually perform the same day to day jobs as the medical doctors? Do they share similar hazards? How about work hours or training/knowledge?
As an aside, do these commissioners receive any perks while in office?

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Targeted For Destruction / Kabiru Sokoto Gives SSS Clues On Sect’s Leaders / Religious Disrespect And Sarcasm At Easter: Emulate Jesus, Arewa Charges Xtians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.