Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,637 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya (843 Views)

Police Evacuates Civil-War Bomb In Enugu (photo) / Citizens-Centred Diplomacy: FG Evacuates 1,277 Nigerians From War-Torn CAR / 75 Nigerians From Libya Arrive In Maiduguri With Harrowing Tales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 2:47pm On Feb 27, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigeria evacuates about 500 of its citizens from Libya [/size]

APA, Abuja (Nigeria) No fewer than 499 Nigerians resident in Libya arrived back in the country on Sunday in a two chartered Jumbo jets which were sent by the Nigerian Federal Government for the evacuation from the embattled North African country.

The jets departed Nigeria on Saturday for the North African country which has been under siege by protesters in the last ten days.

Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency said on Sunday in Abuja that the Nigerians arrived safely and more of such exercises would be carried out in the coming days to ensure safety of “our citizens”.

The NEMA team involved in the evacuation is led by the Director General, Mr Sani Sidi who has been at the airport since Thursday awaiting permission for landing rights from the Libyan authorities.

The Libyan government had earlier denied landing rights to the planes. A camp had been set up for the expected returnees at the United Nations camp close to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

It has also been gathered that the planes landed safely in Tripoli at about noon on Saturday, but communication was later lost with the NEMA team in Tripoli.

In a similar development, the Nigerian government has ordered the temporary relocation of the families of Nigerian embassy officials in Tripoli, to neighboring Malta as part of efforts to ensure their safety and security in the troubled country.

http://www.apanews.net/apa.php?page=show_article_eng&id_article=141530
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 2:49pm On Feb 27, 2011
Hey!!
Thank God! Thank God! Thank God!

Pop something!
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 3:06pm On Feb 27, 2011
I'm shocked nobody is commenting on this. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Arosa(m): 3:27pm On Feb 27, 2011
May God bless GEJ, you are the best. wink
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by homerac7: 6:04pm On Feb 27, 2011
Great news. Way to go.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2011
Beaf said:

I'm shocked nobody is commenting on this.

Why are you shocked? You should know by now that good news about Nigeria is a real irritant to many people here. It flies in the face of their dark vision of the country, so they simply avoid such threads to prevent psychological imbalance or damage to their systems.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Shock(m): 6:12pm On Feb 27, 2011
this is good news!
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 27, 2011
it clearly shows that a lot of people here in NL are pretty much very biased, they won,t appear when it is good news.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by violent(m): 6:43pm On Feb 27, 2011
This is good news, thumbs up GEJ!. . .It still doesn't mean he's got my support tho!
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Pharoh: 7:20pm On Feb 27, 2011
^^^^

That is the spirit and not those of the opposition that will not even come and give a little commendation to this evacuation.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by KnowAll(m): 7:51pm On Feb 27, 2011
[size=18pt]
I would tell you what is good news[/size]

[size=14pt]1. JONATHAN SHOULD name one city or town that have 24 hours electric supply. This would have been a show case for better things to come.

2. Jonathan and some of his cabinets took a train ride today from Lagos to Jebba on the re-furbish Lagos-Kano rail road. That would be good news.

3.Jonathan took a boat ride Today from Warri to Lokoja to announce to the whole world the dredging OF THE Lower Niger up to Lokoja has been completed and open for business. That would be good nes

4. when they were executing Nigerians for been illegal immigrants in Libya where was the Nigerian Government.

5. Canceling and stopping that stupiiiid policy of putting all almenjeris into a hostel at FG expenses that would be good news, is he prepared to take on Alemenjeris from cameroon, chad,Niger,Mali,Bukina Faso and Guninea. How do u seperate a Nigerian Alemenjeri from others.

6. IF he stops paying mend for not working for the money,  that would be good news- monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

7. Ex-Presidents don't need a penny from the already over-burdened tax payers in this country. If they have not made  money whilst on the sit too bad, that would be the joke of the year. Moreover majority of these so called HoS were illegitimate Governments.

8.  Organize a free and fair election as promise when he was elevated from the post of VP to President. I hope it would not be like that sham in Delta State.

9. I shall spare him the rest for now.[/size]
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 27, 2011
Great news and thats d way it ought to be.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by KnowAll(m): 10:01pm On Feb 27, 2011
I agree with you here but we have to give Oga GEJ a thumbs up for his effort. it's unprecedented. (for a Black African Nation).

There is no thumbs up for GEJ. We do not expect a man who has attained the highest qualification in a University to be thinking with his arsssee. Even buffoons like Idi Amin OR Mugabe would have done the same if they have huge populations of Ugandans and Zimbabweans in Libya( at least Mugabe in a RAGING call duty to a fellow Zimbabwean that came second in a TV show gave the young man $300,000 insisting that the man was cheated). This is a routine duty of any Head of State worthy to be called a leader let alone a man with a Phd.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by KnowAll(m): 10:17pm On Feb 27, 2011
,^^^See what I meant
?

What do u mean by see what I meant?, do u think we have to roll out the talking drums with fanfare for a mundane and routine duty of a president. If he cannot pull this off then he might as well step I side. I am sure my vulcanizer can do better than that.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by violent(m): 10:26pm On Feb 27, 2011
KnowAll:

?

What do u mean by see what I meant?, do u think we have to roll out the talking drums with fanfare for a mundane and routine duty of a president. If he cannot pull this off then he might as well step I side. I am sure my vulcanizer can do better than that.

I think you are being unreasonable here.  we all know that it's the duty of any government worth its salt to rescue its own from troubled zones, the fact that the government had done so deserves some applause, not condemnation.  The same way you will be forever grateful to your parents for providing you with the best they could afford even though it's their responsibility to do so.

It's easy to condemn, it takes a lot of wisdom to praise tangible efforts.

Thousands of people are dying in Libya as we speak, hundreds of Nigerians have been rescued, if this doesn't count as good news in your books, I am sure as hell the families of those rescued see it as one!
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Pharoh: 11:37pm On Feb 27, 2011
KnowAll:

?

This is what i don't really like about opposition, you guys should just contest and fix the damn country instead of complaining here on nairaland from the sidelines. Get involved one way or the other and fix your country if you are better than the present occupants, its not too much to ask i guess?.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 3:18am On Feb 28, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Beaf said:

Why are you shocked? You should know by now that good news about Nigeria is a real irritant to many people here. It flies in the face of their dark vision of the country, so they simply avoid such threads to prevent psychological imbalance or damage to their systems.

My brother, you are right. I am beginning to conclude that a lot of these people are actually mentally damaged in some way or the other. I find it absolutely repugnant that there are actually people who don't value the lives of their neighbours and fellow Nigerians; it is shocking to the core!

The question must be asked what percentage of average Nigerian is wicked beyond redemption that they cannot rejoice when Nigerian lives are saved. Things like this are a major eye opener; see the foolishness that some have posted here in their usual super large font (cos they have the tiniest d!cks).

Let those of us who are normal rejoice at the saving of our fellow citizens from the jaws of the maniacal reactions to black skins in Libya and the appalling explosion of cruelty from a mad dictator. Sadly, many blacks have lost their lives to street justice, no doubt including Nigerians; let us give a quiet time for their souls and a thought for the bereaved. All blood is red and sacred.

May the wicked among us be damned, your day of defeat closes in with every rising sun.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 3:26am On Feb 28, 2011
I shake with rage when I see words like knowall's, but rage is better quietened and channelled into a potent weapon of truth that slays all evil in its path.
Nigeria will change for the better, because we will it into being and we act passionately, fearlessly and forcefully in our convictions.

Our dream is being built and no man born of woman can halt it.

[size=14pt]Long live the New Nigeria![/size]
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 28, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]
I would tell you what is good news[/size]

[size=14pt]1. JONATHAN SHOULD name one city or town that have 24 hours electric supply. This would have been a show case for better things to come.

2. Jonathan and some of his cabinets took a train ride today from Lagos to Jebba on the re-furbish Lagos-Kano rail road. That would be good news.

3.Jonathan took a boat ride Today from Warri to Lokoja to announce to the whole world the dredging OF THE Lower Niger up to Lokoja has been completed and open for business. That would be good nes

4. when they were executing Nigerians for been illegal immigrants in Libya where was the Nigerian Government.

5. Canceling and stopping that stupiiiid policy of putting all almenjeris into a hostel at FG expenses that would be good news, is he prepared to take on Alemenjeris from cameroon, chad,Niger,Mali,Bukina Faso and Guninea. How do u seperate a Nigerian Alemenjeri from others.

6. IF he stops paying mend for not working for the money, that would be good news- monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

7. Ex-Presidents don't need a penny from the already over-burdened tax payers in this country. If they have not made money whilst on the sit too bad, that would be the joke of the year. Moreover majority of these so called HoS were illegitimate Governments.

8. Organize a free and fair election as promise when he was elevated from the post of VP to President. I hope it would not be like that sham in Delta State.

9. I shall spare him the rest for now.[/size]

What we are suffering was not caused by jonathan. It was caused my military misfule of which uhari was a partaker.
KnowAll:

There is no thumbs up for GEJ. We do not expect a man who has attained the highest qualification in a University to be thinking with his arsssee. Even buffoons like Idi Amin OR Mugabe would have done the same if they have huge populations of Ugandans and Zimbabweans in Libya( at least Mugabe in a RAGING call duty to a fellow Zimbabwean that came second in a TV show gave the young man $300,000 insisting that the man was cheated). This is a routine duty of any Head of State worthy to be called a leader let alone a man with a Phd.

The fact is this, we have never seen it so before now. I am from Anambra State, although the election that brought Ngige to power was rigged, he became popular and won the people's heart simply by paying salaries. How is that ? The previuos admistration did not pay salaries

Now, let us be fear.

Thanks Mr President.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by rasputinn(m): 9:14am On Feb 28, 2011
Well done GEJ,God bless Nigeria

@ OP

I learnt the number was actually higher than that,I saw BAsh Ali brimming with smile(I'm sure he boxed his way into the plane to ensure he left Libya with the first rescue plane),GEJ should not rest till ALL Nigerians are ferried out from Libya,the reasons for some of them being there notwithstanding
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by rasputinn(m): 9:17am On Feb 28, 2011
noblezone:

What we are suffering was not caused by jonathan. It was caused my military misfule of which uhari was a partaker.
The fact is this, we have never seen it so before now. I am from Anambra State, although the election that brought Ngige to power was rigged, he became popular and won the people's heart simply by paying salaries. How is that ? The previuos admistration did not pay salaries

Now, let us be fear.

Thanks Mr President.

Thanks noblezone,you know there are some posts that one has tyo ignore as sound reasoning,truth,objectivity cannot be forced on anybody,some people will just never get it,besides they are entitled to their opinion
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by hercules07: 9:51am On Feb 28, 2011
It is a good thing that the Federal Government got the people out of that place, we must commend the President and the NEMA people, we should also ask how much was spent to get them out, afterall it was public money that was used. Our problem in Nigeria is not about taking easy decisions, our problem is our leaders do not have the political will to take decisions that will affect the elite.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by KnowAll(m): 1:22pm On Feb 28, 2011
[size=14pt]Routine goverment duty. The problem is becos we have had anarchy in our society for so long we don't know any better,  that is why when our goverment observe what should be one of her statutory roles we start dancing and celeberating. Can someone tell me anyone out of those two other gentlemen  contesting for the Presidency  WHO would not do the same as Jonathan, I am sure one of them might even go a step further by supporting the people of Benghazi so that they can push-on all the way to Tripoli.

Buhari has been known to push invading chadians away from Borno State and going 50 miles deep into chadian territory when he was the Governor of the then North Eastern State in 1975 without taking orders from the SHQ.

This is a case of over-blown gratituty over what is probably the easiest of all the Task in GEJ 's in-tray, people have been dying in Jos since last year his silllly goverment does not have a clue on how to deal or arrest the sitiuation.  [/size]
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2011
^
Sharrap!
Did your wild eyed Buhari ever pull Nigerians out of a disaster area in all his time, has he ever shown that he cares for the man on the street? lol, he was best known for shooting the innocent, for which he says he has no regrets.

Funny how people seem upset by GEJ's act of bringing in ours from Libya. . . only to turn around to praise the closest thing Nigeria has to Gaddafi. Any surprises?

Shame on you.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by KnowAll(m): 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2011
Sharrap!
Did your wild eyed Buhari ever pull Nigerians out of a disaster area in all his time, has he ever shown that he cares for the man on the street? lol, he was best known for shooting the innocent, for which he says he has no regrets.

Funny how people seem upset by GEJ's act of bringing in ours from Libya. . . only to turn around to praise the closest thing Nigeria has to Gaddafi. Any surprises?

Shame on you.

[size=14pt]During Buhari’s time Nigerians do not have to leave the shores of this country.

Nigerians at the time don’t even know where Chad was let alone Libya. The kleptomanic and Gluttonic regime of the PDP has not only impoverished our people, but has made our ladies the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low, our very proud women has been reduced to undesirable caricatures peddling love in backwaters such as Mali. Do you know other African nationals use to be scared of dating a Nigerian girl in the past. They use to tell me our women are just too posh.

Is this what any sensible person should be proud off? I wonder how you would feel if your own sister is in one of those dingy brothels in Mali and Bukina Faso servicing dirty Tuaregs.

The fact that there are 500 destitute Nigerians in Libya, who believe that it is better for them to trek across the desert in search of a greener pasture than to die of hunger in Nigeria is an indictment on JEG’s Government.

We are all witness to what the Angolans are doing for their people, building a 200,000 housing scheme in the city of Luanda for Angolans. What is GEJ’s stimuli for Niger Delta’s development, give able body men free money for doing noting. Not forgetting the very good and kind gesture of taken care of all the Alimenjeri from Mauratania to Chad by putting all of them in a comfortable hostel.[/size]
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by Beaf: 3:43pm On Feb 28, 2011
^
What a load of tosh!
Maybe people from your village never knew the direction to the airport; others certainly did.

You might note that the innocent men he executed with backdated laws all came from abroad. As for the Niger Delta, Buhari is one of the greatest parasites we have ever known, while GEJ is totally unmatched.

Its bad to tell lies bro.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by EzeUche2(m): 3:46pm On Feb 28, 2011
Mehn I am so confused about GEJ. One minute he does something that I think is commendable, the next he does something that I appaul. I cannot put my finger on this man if my life depended on it.
Re: Nigeria Evacuates About 500 Of Its Citizens From Libya by otokx(m): 4:37pm On Feb 28, 2011
@knowall has said it.

(1) (Reply)

The Gaddafi's Blundered / President Jonathan Too Busy For Election Debate. / Ribadu's Photo Messages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.