Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% (540 Views)

PDP Lawmaker Wants 8th Assembly To Reduce Cost Of Governance / I Have Fulfilled My Promise On Power Sector - Jonathan / GEJ Cuts Feeding Cost By ₦90M & Drops Plan To Buy ₦280M Exotic Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% by againstGEJ(m): 5:48pm On Mar 01, 2011
Director General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Ms. Aruma Oteh, Monday called on foreign investors to take advantage of the economic and power sector reforms in the country to maximize their returns.

Oteh who made this known at the 2011 Standard Bank West Africa Investors’ Conference held in Lagos, stated that the reforms when fully implemented will reduce the cost of doing business in Nigeria by 40 per cent.

The SEC boss who described Nigeria as investors’ paradise stressed that years of democratic practice and economic reforms helped African countries to weather recent global financial crisis.

“Because of the debt relief most African countries received in recent years, a good number of them have better debt profile than most European countries. Inflation has been reduced to the lowest minimum in most African countries, privatisation and trade liberalisation has also helped to lift African economies.

“Most African countries have implemented reforms that have helped to lift their private sector. About $4 billion is spent a year on infrastructure. Funds generated from natural resource contributes only one-thirds of Africa’s income, the rest two-thirds is from telecommunications and other source of income,” she said.

She added that the expanding workforce in Africa will help grow its Gross Domestic Products (GDP), adding that in 20 years time the top 18 African countries will have a combined spending of $1.6 trillion.

Oteh, therefore, enjoined foreign investors to rethink their investment plan and focus on Nigeria and other African countries, stressing that Africa has a huge potential for growth.

“Because we are aware of this fact, we have strengthened our legal and regulatory framework so that we can create a world class capital market and ensure effective distribution of economic gains,” she added.

Earlier in his speech, Chairman of Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc Mr. Atedo Peterside, said allayed investors fear of a possible spread of recent political development in North Africa to Nigeria.

According to him, “I do not hesitate to state that I do not foresee a similar occurrence here in Nigeria, because our circumstances differ vastly. In my opinion, what we are witnessing in North Africa and some countries in the Middle East is essentially a confrontation between angry populations and sit-tight autocratic rulers”.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/power-sector-reform-ll-reduce-cost-by-40-/87025/
Re: Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% by pleep(m): 2:56am On Mar 15, 2011
privatisation and trade liberalisation has also helped to lift African economies.

eh.
Re: Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% by Kobojunkie: 3:11am On Mar 15, 2011
Story, Story!
Re: Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% by ekubear1: 7:31am On Mar 15, 2011
Re: Power Sector: Reform’ll Reduce Cost By 40% by Beaf: 7:48am On Mar 15, 2011
The way investors have lined up to invest heavily in Nigeria's power sector is very heartening. There has been $20billion worth of interest shown so far for 2011, even though the level of annual investment required is half that at $20billion.

There is little doubt that immense benefits in power generation will be felt within the next two years.
This is the ideal time to plan; with cost of spending on electricity dropping 40%, the coast will be clear for Nigeria to become a competitive manufacturing hub. I can picture high tech industries dotting the landscape in places like Nnewi, Lagos, Warri and Port Harcourt.

The contract for the building of the 2600 MW Mambilla power station that has been on the books for donkey years was finally signed a couple of weeks ago. Good things are coming.

(1) (Reply)

This Will Rid Nigeria Of Electoral Fraud- W.i.w / 4 Arrested Over Plan To Stone Jonathan In Zamfara / How Igbinedion Embezzled Edo’s N19bn — Efcc !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.